• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm not really expecting a character reveal in the next Direct. At best a concrete -month- for Banjo's release. I think we'll get a solo Smash presentation with the two final reveals later on indeed.. I don't think they'll save anything for the Game Awards.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
That's not how this works.
I kind of think it is how it works, if we base it off cloud.
Cloud was the FF character with the most people pulling for him specifically, even though it didnt make sense as he was really only ever on Playstation in the ff7 games, so people speculated "oh we'll get Terra/Warrio of Light/ Bartz(?).
I think the Sans - Frisk discussion more mirrors that than the Robin-Chrom, Just because sans is so much more popular than Frisk.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Because Luminary's default class in DQXI does use a sword and shield.

Nevermind this is a full-blown Simon/Richter case. Simon was built using some of Richter's moves, it doesn't mean that Richter was ever planned to be the original in Smash.

It's obvious that Sakurai looks into all Dragon Quest games and comes up with Heroes' pool of moves from all games that fell under Main Heroes and Hero Class. It does feel like Sakurai definitely have several alts in his mental frame for Hero in Smash Bros.

I think the stipulation they had with Square-Enix where they probably required to use Luminary as a default character but at same time, it could be both sides agreeing to market Luminary to bolster Dragon Quest's awareness with the Smash fans. Either way, I'm happy that we have all four characters in Smash Bros, and Sakurai made a huge deal for those four characters enough that they actually GAVE them their own unique background colors. Not many alt costumes get that!

50HnhNY.png

Erdrick has that dramatic fade in reveal in the CG trailer.

He's the real star.

I think they are tugging all hardcore Dragon Quest fans who have their nostalgia with Arusu (Erdrick) so it's pretty awesome dramatic scene. That scene was pretty hype as heck with Solo and Eight as well.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered this from Amazon , gonna receive it tomorrow. Any tips would be appreciated. I've never played a smash game before but i am moderately good at fighting games .
Also is the game season pass woth it ? The main game already has a shit ton of characters.

BTW Target have a sales for Fighter Pass so you could get it for 20 dollars.

Yeah, I really enjoy Joker and Dragon Quest's Hero so much when they are out. Also we get Banjo-Kazooie too if you cares about them

Edited:

Tips; just enjoy your time with World of Light or trying to unlock all characters when you could. It's incredibly fun to watch ourselves unlocking a character at a time. It's surreal to see final roster when you are done with unlocking everyone.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of think it is how it works, if we base it off cloud.
Cloud was the FF character with the most people pulling for him specifically, even though it didnt make sense as he was really only ever on Playstation in the ff7 games, so people speculated "oh we'll get Terra/Warrio of Light/ Bartz(?).
I think the Sans - Frisk discussion more mirrors that than the Robin-Chrom, Just because sans is so much more popular than Frisk.
Sans isn't the protagonist of his game. Cloud is. Same with Robin.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Let's try to look on the positive side.

Astral Chain comes out this week. Let's hope it does well so we can get another new series in Smash in the future.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Truth be told I'm fine if we don't get a new Capcom character. I'd rather get more western franchises in Smash, however unlikely it is. Doom/Bethesda could go the same way as Rayman/Ubisoft for all I know where the relationship and support are there, and Sakurai goes "nope".

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
So, I'm gonna shamelessly plug this again. And remember, this is for characters you WANT in Smash, not to predict what Sakurai will add.

https://www.poll-maker.com/poll2472837x1E4e48Ec-70

But also I'll give a small look at results so far.

Wow, 80+ votes? In less than 12 h. I didn't expect this many lurkers. I guess this is Era + Lurkers lists.

The pool is still super miniscule, but so far Crash Bandicoot & Dixie Kong are in top. The results actually are somewhat quite even, and you can have a better look at this there.

However, those who have voted, there is one category I underestimated. Some characters who were not on the list is actually winning. Anyone who voted that, mind telling who? Perhaps Shovel Knight? One of Sonic characters? Other Assist Trophies? I'm curious who I missed.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Truth be told I'm fine if we don't get a new Capcom character. I'd rather get more western franchises in Smash, however unlikely it is. Doom/Bethesda could go the same way as Rayman/Ubisoft for all I know where the relationship and support are there, and Sakurai goes "nope".

I was honestly surprised that a few people rated Doom above Crash in my little unofficial tally from the last thread.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Slime is more popular than any individual Dragon Quest hero but you get three guesses which one is playable in Smash.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
People with rules and assumptions. I think people are going to be proved wrong at the end when we find out when they are done with DLC supports.

imagine if we don't get a RE character

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. It does feel like Smash 4 DLC speculation where people were so sure that certain characters getting in Smash Bros and last four characters weren't that. But again, Smash 4 DLC was one of it's kind since we got numbers of veterans and we doesn't know what to expected. I even told people that we are more likely to get more guest characters from DLC because of simple license agreement for DLC and easier to handle the costs.

Ironically that's happening again with Ultimate DLC. Now not many people are expecting first party newcomers.

Wouldn't surprise me.

It's all just been people trying to pick famous long running IPs, from Major companies.

Resident Evil is the biggest one not yet represented in smash. And it's Capcom who is one that's willing to play ball so it's easy to latch on to.

Yeah, it would be fun to see how Resident Evil character function in Smash Bros so that's only reason why I'm rooting for their inclusion. Same thing with Phoenix Wright and Dante. Capcom have so many good characters so I can't help but rooting for anyone from their library.

It would be so weird to see only one Namco-Bandai character in the game when they have good library as well so that's why I thought Namco-Bandai might get second character this time but again, I might not be surprised if I'm wrong about that as well.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
However, those who have voted, there is one category I underestimated. Some characters who were not on the list is actually winning. Anyone who voted that, mind telling who? Perhaps Shovel Knight? One of Sonic characters? Other Assist Trophies? I'm curious who I missed.
Well you missed Monster Hunter so there goes my vote.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I don't have anything against DOOM (not really my cup of tea, but I don't hate it), but I do think the lack of any impact in Japan hurts its chances a lot for Smash. However Bethesda has Skyrim to offer, something that would make every region somewhat satisfied.

of course, DOOM is not that out of bounds like Mortal Kombat though. But I think anything western made has a better shot if at least pleases a good amount of japanese players like Crash and Banjo.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I was honestly surprised that a few people rated Doom above Crash in my little unofficial tally from the last thread.

Not me. The concept of Doom moveset seems quite exciting and something unique that Smash Bros have been lacking. There is only couple of shooter characters in Smash Bros which are Inkling and Duck Hunt so I don't blame people who were rooting for DoomSlayer or Master Chief because they could bring something different to the table.

Crash, (TO ME at least) always feel a simple mascot with uninteresting moveset so I don't think he would bring something new to the table that would make him stand out. The biggest notion of Crash being in Smash Bros is He is the Crash and a mascot of Sony PS1 Era which can be exciting as it is and people can't resists but taking a jab at PSASBR as well. Let me noted that I'm not against his inclusion and I know he's probably going to be fun to play with but his moveset is pretty much simple.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
If this were truly about not caring about their chances, people should go more for broke. Non-video game characters, Marvel characters, anime characters, OC characters, self inserts, Haruka Amami from idolmaster.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
If we get more western characters I assume they would be driven by western fans.

N. Sane Trilogy and CTR remakes both mega-bombed in Japan.
They didn't; --and the latter it's not even a month old in Japan. You can't obviously expect absurd numbers like N. Sane Trilogy did in its first year of PS4 exclusivity in the west, but they're selling healthy. Could be better? for sure, especially if the localization were as good as the older titles.

And besides anything, you still see Japanese mentioning Crash despite of current sales numbers. Because he's a big legacy character.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect a character reveal before Banjo and Kazooie release. I honestly don't think they would have been revealed at E3 had they not been preceded by Hero. Their reveal seemed like a way to mitigate what would have been a lot of backlash by the Western Smash fandom.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How CTR did in Japan is also irrelevant to Crash's chances. Remember the Fighters Pass was decided and locked in last year. The CTR remake came out this year.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Man, does advertising work. Already past 100 votes now lol.

Crash has taken big lead. He is honestly now way more wanted than Dixie.

I did forget Monster Hunter, dang. I think the list didn't allow more and I legit forgot. Also good point, technically Not on List and what you actually WANT could potentially mean…. Goku.

Aug 12, 2019
  • I understand Elma's situation, but she could have a chance in the long-term.
  • ARMS sold well over 2 million (which is great for a new fighting game IP), it's gonna get a sequel. It's no Splatoon, but it did just fine. With that said, my argument is to have someone like Twintelle alongside Spring Man.
  • As far as third-party characters go, there are options.
I linked a thread earlier that should go into more detail. I can't to do so now because I'm on my phone.

I'm going to need your link as I couldn't find it going back in your post history (I don't doubt you did, I just couldn't find it). I just don't see many third party female options that stack up against the franchises we always discuss. DOOM, Crash Bandicoot, Tales, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, Undertale, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, Soul Calibur would all be represented by male characters first and foremost. You might get a Coco Bandicoot alt at best out of those, and Undertale might just get away with a female rep. Then Resident Evil might get Jill as a choice. Stuff like Elder Scrolls would be need to be both male and female alts to actualize the character customization aspect of things and the same for a Monster Hunter. I just genuinely don't see a lot of good options as far as remaining big third parties go unfortunately.

As for ARMS, I don't know if we can confidently say it will get a sequel or if it will just join the Nintendo forgotten IP hall of fame. 1-2 Switch also sold 2 million units and it's certainly not getting a sequel any time soon. ARMS was very much a game that came out in the release window of the Switch and was the first, first party game to release since Zelda that wasn't a port of an older title. It had a motion gimmick and was trying to be the next Splatoon. It was an average, barebones game that managed to achieve those sales numbers by being the only thing to play at the time and Nintendo didn't support it for terribly long afterwards. It's the game I've seen people with the most buyers remorse over purchasing the title too. I think Nintendo just wanted something for year one of the Switch and threw the game out there to keep a sense of momentum going. I don't think it would sell as much if released today and I do doubt its future as a "franchise." And I certainly don't think it deserves to be anywhere near Smash yet.

You and I know (and Capcom) both know that MvC:I was a disaster for the series. The character roster was a colossal fuckup and Capcom is gonna do the opposite of what their priorities were to try and bring brack their good will.

Weren't the issues with MvC:I's roster primarily focused around the Marvel roster and not the Capcom roster? Like, yes, it had fewer characters overall, but looking at the Capcom roster I don't see many issues other than it sadly dropping some cool characters like Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu. I didn't keep up with the Infinite drama, but I remember hearing more grumblings about the Marvel line-up from afar.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Slime is more popular than any individual Dragon Quest hero but you get three guesses which one is playable in Smash.

I was against Slime as an inclusion in Smash Bros in term of playable so I always thought Hero would be better choice and I'm really glad that Hero got in at the end. Slime being playable doesn't really work out very well in my mind when I think about their potential moves.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Not me. The concept of Doom moveset seems quite exciting and something unique that Smash Bros have been lacking. There is only couple of shooter characters in Smash Bros which are Inkling and Duck Hunt so I don't blame people who were rooting for DoomSlayer or Master Chief because they could bring something different to the table.

Crash, (TO ME at least) always feel a simple mascot with uninteresting moveset so I don't think he would bring something new to the table that would make him stand out. The biggest notion of Crash being in Smash Bros is He is the Crash and a mascot of Sony PS1 Era which can be exciting as it is and people can't resists but taking a jab at PSASBR as well. Let me noted that I'm not against his inclusion and I know he's probably going to be fun to play with but his moveset is pretty much simple.
I could purpose you a unique moveset based on his momentum gameplay that's the strength of the platforming titles to acquire everything in the game (Time Trials manly). But I don't think not every character needs to be super complex in Smash anyway.. I actually hoping Banjo doesn't go crazy like Joker with Arsene or Hero with Command Menu.

of course, I can't convince you to like the idea of the character like I do. I personally don't feel attracted to the idea of anything related to DOOM in Smash either and that's fine. But I certainly can say to you that I want Crash in Smash because he's one my favorite franchises.. it has nothing to do with Sony or PSASBR (in fact, I've been advocating him even before PSASBR was a thing, back in Brawl even)

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I wouldn't expect a character reveal before Banjo and Kazooie release. I honestly don't think they would have been revealed at E3 had they not been preceded by Hero. Their reveal seemed like a way to mitigate what would have been a lot of backlash by the Western Smash fandom.
I honestly don't think they were thinking about any sort of backlash when they revealed Hero. The only people who were upset at all were people on sites like here, Reddit, and /v/ and stuff who talk about the roster constantly. I think they just wanted to bookend E3 with character announcements by announcing two fan favorite characters.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I know I shouldn't pick on anyone's character wants but justifying Elma with: "Xenoblade X2 MIGHT happen!" … is not that good argument.

Aug 12, 2019
I honestly don't think they were thinking about any sort of backlash when they revealed Hero. The only people who were upset at all were people on sites like here, Reddit, and /v/ and stuff who talk about the roster constantly. I think they just wanted to bookend E3 with character announcements by announcing two fan favorite characters.

Yeah, I really don't think Nintendo ever cared about Western backlash over Dragon Quest in Smash with how huge it was in Japan and the fact that they went out of their way to include Eight as a gesture of good will to Western players. Anyone they couldn't get on board at that point wasn't worth their time or concern.

I know I shouldn't pick on anyone's character wants but justifying Elma with: "Xenoblade X2 MIGHT happen!" … is not that good argument.

As a decently large Elma fan... I just don't see her having any real shot and most of the things that give her one at this point require a crazy hail mary to pull off, especially in the wake of Xenoblade Chronicles 2's considerably more impressive success over X. I'd love for her to happen, but I certainly don't think she's in the fighter's pass and she's always going to have that uphill battle with Rex & Pyra when we start talking future character additions.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they did.

They listen to what the Smash fanbase has to say. The whole Ultimate reveal was them telling you "we are listen".

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
If they thought there was going to be enough of a backlash against Hero that there needed be mitigation of some kind they wouldn't have picked him.

It's not like they threw in Banjo at the expense of some other announcement, so they probably revealed him at E3 because that's when he'd have the most eyes on him (and definitely the most Western eyes).

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm going to need your link as I couldn't find it going back in your post history (I don't doubt you did, I just couldn't find it). I just don't see many third party female options that stack up against the franchises we always discuss. DOOM, Crash Bandicoot, Tales, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, Undertale, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, Soul Calibur would all be represented by male characters first and foremost. You might get a Coco Bandicoot alt at best out of those, and Undertale might just get away with a female rep. Then Resident Evil might get Jill as a choice. Stuff like Elder Scrolls would be need to be both male and female alts to actualize the character customization aspect of things and the same for a Monster Hunter. I just genuinely don't see a lot of good options as far as remaining big third parties go unfortunately.

As for ARMS, I don't know if we can confidently say it will get a sequel or if it will just join the Nintendo forgotten IP hall of fame. 1-2 Switch also sold 2 million units and it's certainly not getting a sequel any time soon. ARMS was very much a game that came out in the release window of the Switch and was the first, first party game to release since Zelda that wasn't a port of an older title. It had a motion gimmick and was trying to be the next Splatoon. It was an average, barebones game that managed to achieve those sales numbers by being the only thing to play at the time and Nintendo didn't support it for terribly long afterwards. It's the game I've seen people with the most buyers remorse over purchasing the title too. I think Nintendo just wanted something for year one of the Switch and threw the game out there to keep a sense of momentum going. I don't think it would sell as much if released today and I do doubt its future as a "franchise." And I certainly don't think it deserves to be anywhere near Smash yet.

Weren't the issues with MvC:I's roster primarily focused around the Marvel roster and not the Capcom roster? Like, yes, it had fewer characters overall, but looking at the Capcom roster I don't see many issues other than it sadly dropping some cool characters like Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu. I didn't keep up with the Infinite drama, but I remember hearing more grumblings about the Marvel line-up from afar.
I got you covered.

As for ARMS, EPD games have gotten sequels from much less (just ask Pikmin). One thing you have to consider is that ARMS is a fighting game, & a 3D arena fighter at that. It's a niche within a niche, so the fact that it sold what it did is admirable. It wasn't gonna do anywhere near Splatoon numbers to begin with, as Splatoon is from a much more mainstream genre (shooters). And as far as fighting games in general go, only Smash & NRS games do big numbers these days (with Tekken 7 & SFV having over 4 & 3 million respectively). I don't think we'll get a sequel on this system, but I'd imagine that it'll get it on the next Nintendo system. Either way, I recall mention that the game sold to Nintendo's expectations. And even then, I doubt that Nintendo was disappointed considering that we got one extra character than originally planned (Springtron) & 2 years worth of Party Crash support (ending this past June, a month before Splatoon 2 closed up shop). It was barebones, yes, but who's to say that a sequel won't rectify that?

And concerning MvCI, while Marvel did fuck things up on their end, Capcom wasn't free of blame themselves.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't; --and the latter it's not even a month old in Japan. You can't obviously expect absurd numbers like N. Sane Trilogy did in its first year of PS4 exclusivity in the west, but they're selling healthy. Could be better? for sure, especially if the localization were as good as the older titles.

And besides anything, you still see Japanese mentioning Crash despite of current sales numbers. Because he's a big legacy character.

N. Sane Trilogy sold between PS4 and Switch only 80,000 units.

CTR only sold 7,000 units on PS4 and Switch in its' opening week, and now fell off the charts.

It's very clearly a niche brand in Japan. I don't deny that the sales numbers of the original games were great there, but Japan doesn't seem to have the reverence for Crash that the west does.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
This might be controversial, but I think for this Fighter Pass, almost every female character suggestion has serious problems, that make me think majority of them are unlikely.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How CTR did in Japan is also irrelevant to Crash's chances. Remember the Fighters Pass was decided and locked in last year. The CTR remake came out this year.

I agree. It wouldn't have any impact on whether Crash is or isn't in the game. I'm just taking the game bombing as a sign that there isn't a large Crash fandom in Japan.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
N. Sane Trilogy sold between PS4 and Switch only 80,000 units.

CTR only sold 7,000 units on PS4 and Switch in its' opening week, and now fell off the charts.

It's very clearly a niche brand in Japan. I don't deny that the sales numbers of the original games were great there, but Japan doesn't seem to have the reverence for Crash that the west does.
of course they don't, and probably never will hit the peak of the 90's ever again, but the games selling there and even being published by a big company like SEGA helps more than DOOM and its minuscule to non existent presence in the country.

And again, Nitro-Fueled just released there and its an active game with running events. I doubt Spyro's Grand Prix will do anything for Japanese players next month, but every time new content is added more people might be interested to play.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
of course they don't, and probably never will hit the peak of the 90's ever again, but the games selling there and even being published by a big company like SEGA helps more than DOOM and its minuscule to non existent presence in the country.

And again, Nitro-Fueled just released there and its an active game with running events. I doubt Spyro's Grand Prix will do anything for Japanese players next month, but every time new content is added more people might be interested to play.

The PS4 SKU for N. Sane Trilogy did the best there with around 75k copies sold, but it was also published by Sony. Since then, the other Crash SKUs published by Sega are doing sub-10k numbers exactly like Doom 2016. lol

Crash being more popular than Doom just doesn't seem like it matters much when they're both very unpopular in Japan.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
The PS4 SKU for N. Sane Trilogy did the best there with around 75k copies sold, but it was also published by Sony. Since then, the other Crash SKUs published by Sega are doing sub-10k numbers exactly like Doom 2016. lol

Crash being more popular than Doom just doesn't seem like it matters much when they're both very unpopular in Japan.
I'm terrible of keeping track of those things.. but doesn't the PS4 has a playerbase issue in Japan compared to everywhere else? I know Japan always prefer Nintendo's handhelds and that's why the Switch was a healthy revitalization of the market out there.

N. Sane Trilogy was a year long exclusive for the PS4, and even when it was released on Switch over there (no Xbox One version for Japan, for obvious reasons), they took several months in comparison to the rest of the world. (June vs. October 2018)

Nitro-Fueled didn't take as long though; it was released in June here and August 1st in Japan. But none of these games had a great localization job for Japan sadly.

But saying Crash isn't beloved there because of these misteps is a misconception. I say IN GENERAL (not just recently) Crash as an IP is indeed vastly more popular in Japan than DOOM ever was.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
This might be controversial, but I think for this Fighter Pass, almost every female character suggestion has serious problems, that make me think majority of them are unlikely.
I don't think it's so much the problem of potential female candidates so much as the gaming history Smash pulls from is long and the men have been around longer to make their case. Women would have to get in through with some sort of conscious affirmative action or recency relevance.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I see no reason to abandon the Capcom/Bandai Namco train for the last two characters tbh. It just makes too much sense, but whether it would be Ace Attorney/Resident Evil/DMC or Tales/Tekken is the big question.

As much as I want Doom Slayer, I still don't see much hope for any Western characters. Banjo largely made it in thanks to his Nintendo legacy and massive longstanding fan support, and I really can't see any other Western characters that could do the same.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
And DOOM never ever seen in those things. I was arguing that at very least Crash managed to build a fanbase in Japan, whereas DOOM never even made people consider the franchise for Smash. Nevermind N. Sane Trilogy or Nitro-Fueled, these games are just a very convenient promotional tie-ins.

That's why I never use recently released software on Switch to base anything for Smash speculation either. Sometimes it happens like Dragon Quest, sometimes not like Persona and Banjo.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm terrible of keeping track of those things.. but doesn't the PS4 has a playerbase issue in Japan compared to everywhere else? I know Japan always prefer Nintendo's handhelds and that's why the Switch was a healthy revitalization of the market out there.

N. Sane Trilogy was a year long exclusive for the PS4, and even when it was released on Switch over there (no Xbox One version for Japan, for obvious reasons), they took several months in comparison to the rest of the world. (June vs. October 2018)

Nitro-Fueled didn't take as long though; it was released in June here and August 1st in Japan. But none of these games had a great localization job for Japan sadly.

But saying Crash isn't beloved there because of these misteps is a misconception. I say IN GENERAL (not just recently) Crash as an IP is indeed vastly more popular in Japan than DOOM ever was.

In general, yeah late ports don't do great. But given how sales of Crash have performed around the world, I do think PS1 nostalgia would lend to the PS4 SKUs naturally being the place where Crash will do its strongest.

I also agree with the bolded. Crash is a much more beloved property than Doom there. I just don't think Japan will prove to have much say in whether Sakurai decides to add Crash to the game.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

You can pet the dog in Astral Chain.

100/10 game. Needs to be in Smash immediately.

Aug 12, 2019
I got you covered.

As for ARMS, EPD games have gotten sequels from much less (just ask Pikmin). One thing you have to consider is that ARMS is a fighting game, & a 3D arena fighter at that. It's a niche within a niche, so the fact that it sold what it did is admirable. It wasn't gonna do anywhere near Splatoon numbers to begin with, as Splatoon is from a much more mainstream genre (shooters). And as far as fighting games in general go, only Smash & NRS games do big numbers these days (with Tekken 7 & SFV having over 4 & 3 million respectively). I don't think we'll get a sequel on this system, but I'd imagine that it'll get it on the next Nintendo system. Either way, I recall mention that the game sold to Nintendo's expectations. And even then, I doubt that Nintendo was disappointed considering that we got one extra character than originally planned (Springtron) & 2 years worth of Party Crash support (ending this past June, a month before Splatoon 2 closed up shop). It was barebones, yes, but who's to say that a sequel won't rectify that?

And concerning MvCI, while Marvel did fuck things up on their end, Capcom wasn't free of blame themselves.

Thanks for the link! As soon as I saw the link, I remembered that Tracer from Overwatch would be a great female option (and please let them bring Overwatch to Switch with her haha). I think the most notable of the characters you've listed are Lara Croft, Impa, and Jill. Lara Croft is quite possibly the classic face of women in video games, and while I do have issues with her, her franchise is the only major third party franchise led solely by a woman I can think of that absolutely competes with any other options. Her only issue becomes the whole "Will a company receive two fighters in the Pass?" I'm more optimistic some stuff could happen to that end, but we'll see. Jill we've been over a lot, so I won't speak beyond the fact I still think Resident Evil should go for a Hero type approach to represent as much of RE as possible and satisfy as many people as possible.

Impa makes the most sense from a first party perspective since she has had an increased role over the years and you could potentially turn her into a semi-clone of Sheik with a lot of ease if not a straight Echo depending on her design. The rest though, feel really unlikely. Zelda would likely only get one newcomer, so that takes out the other good Zelda options. I'm not sure WarioWare has a big enough place to get Ashley and she's kind of a much newer fan request (though someone I did talk about when first discussing fan requests earlier). Chun-Li's notable, but it would feel like such a shame to get a third Street Fighter character when their are so many amazing Capcom choices from other series (including Amaterasu, who is another great, albeit unlikely female character choice that I didn't see on your list).

I'm really not trying to tear down the notion of more female fighters (or a more diverse roster in general), I just think that the gaming industry, especially that which Nintendo would be most likely to confront for Smash, just doesn't have enough females or minorities to pull from without digging deeper into specific options that Smash seems much less interested in doing these days. There just seems to be a clash between bringing representation to Smash in meaningful ways and fulfilling the ideas of crossing over with such major franchises, and I have my doubts that the former would win over the latter. I do appreciate the work you've done on this topic and it is informative as to certain details I hadn't caught more specifically about character representation.

I know fighting games don't sell particularly well, but I've just seen (anecdotally speaking of course) so much buyers remorse from people on ARMS that has made me think it sold better than it should have by virtue of being the right release at the right time. I don't have a lot of love for the series to be perfectly honest, so maybe I'm more attuned to negativity than positivity regarding it's release and future. I mostly just got frustrated that a fairly unproven franchise became everyone's lock for DLC prior to his Assist Trophy reveal when it felt like the franchise needed to prove itself a lot more to really earn a place in Smash. I wasn't aware that they had continued the Party Crashes for so long though.

If ARMS really does prove itself with a second entry and fixes more of the issues of the first game, I'll be much more open to it in Smash. As it stands now, I'm not really supportive of the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.