• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was in the base roster instead of Jill and Jill didn't even get to be in the next game.

But no clearly Jill is the single most important RE character which is why she hasn't been in a mainline game since 5.
he was added later in the series than her and infite is infamous for having one of the worst rosters of all time.

you're not saying anything insightful lol

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh... Hero's moveset is more geared towards Erdrick, the sword and shield focused Hero. Luminary isn't generally depicted primarily using a shield, that's Erdrick's thing. It seems like Sakurai had Erdrick in mind when concepting the character, but then changed to Luminary later when dealing with Square/Nintendo

Only 4 out of Dragon Quest's 16 spirits are DQXI related, which doesn't feel like it was focused "mostly on DQXI." And one of those is Luminary's spirit and the other is literally a promo spirit for playing DQXI. The rest of the spirits use the earliest available Toriyama art for the characters, except Erdrick, who uses SNES art.

The stage is w/e. I always feel like stages are some of the last elements planned for new series entering Smash. Look how quickly Green Hill Zone got thrown into the game with Sonic.

It's a big stretch to handwave away all the DQXI representation in the fighter's pass and say that Erdrick would've been the first pick just because Hero uses a shield. lol

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
MvC3 hit at a weird time for the Mega Man series. And Infinite was... Infinite.
Capcom likes to change things up, and I appreciate that. If they just stuck with Classic we wouldn't have gotten Volnutt in TvC, which would be an even bigger injustice imo.
I'm happy that some form of Mega Man made into TvC and MvCI but Classic Mega Man should never be excluded IMO. In my dream all Capcom "crossover" both OG and X would be present as wholly original characters with no shared animations or techniques.

Aug 12, 2019
But it's not like there aren't options, which is part of my concern.

Such as? Like I said, Ultimate was developed around the ideas of satisfying fan demand, and the fans have traditionally requested male characters by an extremely wide margin. Most third parties are also dominated by male characters, including every single one that gets brought up with regularity around here and around Smash speculation.

Like, there are options, but they often require circumnavigating options that generally "make more sense." Is Elma a really cool character? Absolutely, but if you're choosing between representing XCX or XC2, there's a title that's clearly more played and generally well liked of the two and thus we would get to Rex. Could you pick a female ARMS rep? Sure, but ARMS was an entirely unproven series in development and didn't exactly light the world on fire and has a very uncertain future to begin with (it probably wouldn't have sold as well as it did if it didn't come out when there was nothing else to play on Switch). Would Dixie Kong have been a great choice of a character? Again, absolutely. But King K. Rool was the more requested option for a fighter. And all of these are kind of a moot point because the Fighter's Pass is likely to be all third parties at this point, and unfortunately the best female character options for Smash generally exist in Nintendo's IPs at this point. I agree that females are underrepresented, but I just think it's more reflective of greater issues with the industry.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm happy that some form of Mega Man made into TvC and MvCI but Classic Mega Man should never be excluded IMO. In my dream all Capcom "crossover" both OG and X would be present as wholly original characters with no shared animations or techniques.
The problem is that Capcom, at least as they are now, aren't a big enough deal to push a big-budget Versus game on their own.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
he was added later in the series than her and infite is infamous for having one of the worst rosters of all time.

you're not saying anything insightful lol
If you don't see why a later crossover which had to create all the characters from the ground up might show the companies more current priorities, I don't know what to tell you.
Arsene loves to talk in bad faith to push his drawn out arguments (and hate train for Jill lol)
And you can piss off. I have not done any arguing in bad faith. I've pointed out multiple times that the RE series itself and more recent crossover prioritize Chris or the two as a duo, and how that matches trends in selecting characters in Smash.

If you're just gonna fucking lie and openly talk shit about someone because they don't just bow down and agree with you then I'm done.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's a big stretch to handwave away all the DQXI representation in the fighter's pass and say that Erdrick would've been the first pick just because Hero uses a shield. lol
"All the DQXI representation" which is basically just the stage. Everything else is more or less equally distributed between the DQ series.

I fail to see how Hero's moveset using a shield doesn't show the moveset was designed for Erdrick, when he's the only one of the four heroes whose primary appearances all show him using a sword and shield, while none of the other alts are ever shown using a shield in combat.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"All the DQXI representation" which is basically just the stage. Everything else is more or less equally distributed between the DQ series.

I fail to see how Hero's moveset using a shield doesn't show the moveset was designed for Erdrick, when he's the only one of the four heroes whose primary appearances all show him using a sword and shield, while none of the other alts are ever shown using a shield in combat.

Because Luminary's default class in DQXI does use a sword and shield.

Nevermind this is a full-blown Simon/Richter case. Simon was built using some of Richter's moves, it doesn't mean that Richter was ever planned to be the original in Smash.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Because Luminary's default class in DQXI does use a sword and shield.

Nevermind this is a full-blown Simon/Richter case. Simon was built using some of Richter's moves, it doesn't mean that Richter was ever planned to be the original in Smash.
Show me official DQXI art showing Luminary using a shield

He doesn't even use a shield in his Smash trailer!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Show me official DQXI art showing Luminary using a shield

He doesn't even use a shield in his Smash trailer!

That's it, I'm done.

I can't help but think you are rejecting the evidence because it bodes badly for Jill. That or you had your heart dead-set on Erdrick during speculation and don't want to admit that he wasn't the first pick. Either way to handwave away most of DQ's representation, among how other characters were included, just to suite your own agenda is incredibly stupid.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Such as? Like I said, Ultimate was developed around the ideas of satisfying fan demand, and the fans have traditionally requested male characters by an extremely wide margin. Most third parties are also dominated by male characters, including every single one that gets brought up with regularity around here and around Smash speculation.

Like, there are options, but they often require circumnavigating options that generally "make more sense." Is Elma a really cool character? Absolutely, but if you're choosing between representing XCX or XC2, there's a title that's clearly more played and generally well liked of the two and thus we would get to Rex. Could you pick a female ARMS rep? Sure, but ARMS was an entirely unproven series in development and didn't exactly light the world on fire and has a very uncertain future to begin with (it probably wouldn't have sold as well as it did if it didn't come out when there was nothing else to play on Switch). Would Dixie Kong have been a great choice of a character? Again, absolutely. But King K. Rool was the more requested option for a fighter. And all of these are kind of a moot point because the Fighter's Pass is likely to be all third parties at this point, and unfortunately the best female character options for Smash generally exist in Nintendo's IPs at this point. I agree that females are underrepresented, but I just think it's more reflective of greater issues with the industry.
  • I understand Elma's situation, but she could have a chance in the long-term.
  • ARMS sold well over 2 million (which is great for a new fighting game IP), it's gonna get a sequel. It's no Splatoon, but it did just fine. With that said, my argument is to have someone like Twintelle alongside Spring Man.
  • As far as third-party characters go, there are options.
I linked a thread earlier that should go into more detail. I can't to do so now because I'm on my phone.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's really going to suck if we don't get a new Capcom character and everyone in this thread will have spent all of this time arguing with nothing to show for it.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

IV's Hero is drawn with a shield too. And none of the monster spirits except Slime and Liquid Metal Slime are even in Dragon Quest III.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
If you don't see why a later crossover which had to create all the characters from the ground up might show the companies more current priorities, I don't know what to tell you.

Ah yea, I guess you're right!

k0cck30.gif

You and I know (and Capcom) both know that MvC:I was a disaster for the series. The character roster was a colossal fuckup and Capcom is gonna do the opposite of what their priorities were to try and bring brack their good will.

And you can piss off. I have not done any arguing in bad faith. I've pointed out multiple times that the RE series itself and more recent crossover prioritize Chris or the two as a duo, and how that matches trends in selecting characters in Smash.

If you're just gonna fucking lie and openly talk shit about someone because they don't just bow down and agree with you then I'm done.

I ain't lying about shit. You can kindly piss off as well with your dramatic opera.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
God we need a Direct and we need it now

Still got another whole week to plow through in August, fuck

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I ordered this from Amazon , gonna receive it tomorrow. Any tips would be appreciated. I've never played a smash game before but i am moderately good at fighting games .
Also is the game season pass woth it ? The main game already has a shit ton of characters.

Start out by trying all the characters. They all have the same controls but each have their own tweaks and do different things. Example would be a down aerial will always hit below, an up tilt will always hit up, your up special is often your third jump. But some characters have more jumps, others don't have that special jump recovery. When you get a character you like, I'd suggest looking at combos on YouTube for them.

DLC is worth it if you want more characters and stages. For us here, it's certainly worth it as we argue over which characters will make it in. The cost of the game pass you basically get one of the characters in the pass free. Or if you want all of them, you'll have to pay for Piranha Plant too.

Either way, welcome to Smash and enjoy!

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Resident Evil would be cool but Mega Man isn't Capcom's biggest franchise, for example, and it still got in. Then Ryu got in, who still isn't from Capcom's best selling franchise. Then Monster Hunter content got in without even a character despite being way bigger than Mega Man and Street Fighter. In regards to Capcom, I'm not sure if the size of the series means anything.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Resident Evil would be cool but Mega Man isn't Capcom's biggest franchise, for example, and it still got in. Then Ryu got in, who still isn't from Capcom's best selling franchise. Then Monster Hunter content got in without even a character despite being way bigger than Mega Man and Street Fighter. In regards to Capcom, I'm not sure if the size of the series means anything.
Mega Man & Street Fighter are still among the Big 5.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Mega Man & Street Fighter are still among the Big 5.
I definitely wouldn't say Resident Evil is completely impossible. It's way more likely than, say, Doom, which some people think is a lock, but I don't know if RE would necessarily be the first choice Capcom had in terms of DLC. If it is though, I'm all for it.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I definitely wouldn't say Resident Evil is completely impossible. It's way more likely than, say, Doom, which some people think is a lock, but I don't know if RE would necessarily be the first choice Capcom had in terms of DLC. If it is though, I'm all for it.
If we get more Capcom, it'll either be RE, DMC, MH, or AA. The former 3 are based on how big they are, while AA is due to fan demand. Though given the roster's current situation, I'm hoping for RE (namely Jill). As mentioned before, I can't really bring myself to support another guy getting in right now (otherwise I'd be pushing for Phoenix Wright &/or Dante alongside my hope for Jill).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If a September Direct comes and goes without a character reveal, when would we next expect it? Alongside Banjo's video?

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, Smash 4 had its own Direct for final reveals. If they were to announce a new Fighter Pass along with last fighters of current and Mii Costumes as well as other updates, it could be decent enough for a Direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.