• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhadgon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you're doing second characters for series like Street Fighter, there's probably a cavalcade of Sonic characters that would qualify for SEGA. At least Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman. Kiryu from Yakuza would also be another good SEGA option.
Added:
Capcom:
Jill Valentine / Leon Kennedy / Chris Redfield (Resident Evil)
Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Arthur (Ghost 'n' Goblins)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

Square Enix:
Lara Croft (Tomb Rider)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Bub & Bob (Bubble Bobble)
2B (Nier: Automata)

Konami:
Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)
Goemon (Mystical Ninja)
Bill Rizer / Lance Bean (Contra)

SEGA:
Tails / Knuckles / Eggman (Sonic)
Kiryu (Yakuza)

Marvelous:
Asuka (Senran Kagura)
Farmer (Harvest Moon)
Adventurer (Rune Factory)

SNK:
Terry Bogard / Mai Shiranui (The King of Fighters)

Koei Tecmo:
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Bandai Namco:
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Heihachi / Jin Kazama / Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
Yoshimitsu (Tekken / Soulcalibur)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Agumon (Digimon)
Solaire / Artorias (Dark Souls)

Level-5:
Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
Jibanyan (Yo-kai Watch)

Spike Chunsoft:
Shiren (Mystery Dungeon)

Nihon Falcom:
Adol Christin (Ys series)

Team Shanghai Alice
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Grasshopper:
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)

Ubisoft:
Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed)
Rayman (Rayman)
Prince (Prince of Persia)
Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell)

Microsoft:
Master Chief (Halo)
Steve (Minecraft)

Activision / Blizzard:
Spyro (Spyro)
Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
Diablo (Diablo)
Arthas (World of Warcraft)
Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)
Tracer (Overwatch)

Bethesda:
Doomslayer (Doom)
Dovahkiin (Elder Scrolls)

Rockstar:
Max Payne (Max Payne)

Electronic Arts:
Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)

IO Interactive:
Agent 47 (Hitman)

Warner Bros:
Scorpion / Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)

Riot:
Ryze / Ashe / Jax / Teemo (League of Legends)
.n_n.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is the only one "fibbing" is Sakurai. All the collaborators who talked about their Smash inclusion said they were approached by Sakurai, alot of Nintendo people like Reggie heavily implied these were decided by Sakurai, and all of the picks are characters Sakurai for sure care about especially Terry and Joker
The notion of Nintendo mandating a crossover with Fatal Fury (a series whose latest entry is 20 years old) is truly baffling to me.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is the only one "fibbing" is Sakurai. All the collaborators who talked about their Smash inclusion said they were approached by Sakurai, alot of Nintendo people like Reggie heavily implied these were decided by Sakurai, and all of the picks are characters Sakurai for sure care about especially Terry and Joker
Of course they were approached by Sakurai. He's the one who designs the characters, and it probably makes for a way better impression to send him over to the companies rather than suits. Shows a greater sign of respect and that they're serious about putting one of their characters into Smash. I dunno why people are pretending like that's a smoking gun of some sorts.

Reggie isn't involved in the DLC selection, so his "implication" means very little.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I guess to fill up the 10 slots with companies getting one character

DLC5: Ryu Hayabusa/Professor Layton

Sora (Disney)
Capcom (not guessing who could be here)
2B (Square/Yoko Taro)
Travis Touchdown (Suda 51)
Hayabusa/Layton
Sol Badguy (Arc Sys)
Crash Bandicoot (Activision)
Tracer (Blizzard)
DoomSlayer (Bethesda)
Shantae (Wayforward)

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they were approached by Sakurai. He's the one who designs the characters, and it probably makes for a way better impression to send him over to the companies rather than suits. Shows a greater sign of respect and that they're serious about putting one of their characters into Smash. I dunno why people are pretending like that's a smoking gun of some sorts.

Reggie isn't involved in the DLC selection, so his "implication" means very little.
I forgot to say "might be fibbing" but overall if someone could be fibbing or not be completely clear with the truth it's Sakurai.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how Shantae is still considered a likely option when all Shovel Knight and Undertale could afford were assist trophies and a Mii outfit.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I'm leaning towards mean territory, and I apologize because people are allowed to like anyone but…

Are Shantae fans just predicting her because they like her, or do they seriously try to realistically pick her?

Shovel Knight, which I also assumed as bigger franchise than Shantae, got AT over her and fucking Sans got Mii Costume.

If Shovel Knight & Undertale/SANS can't get in, Shantae is realistically hopeless. Would anyone argue Undertale is less known than Shantae.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai again mentions that Nintendo is the one choosing the characters in a Japanese only magazine column--"He must be lying." Yeah okay guys.

---

If the DLC is coming piecemeal instead of a season pass I'm still pulling for Dixie, but if it turns out to be another season pass I anticipate nothing but third parties again.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Yeah I'm pretty sure "Nintendo picked the DLC" is just Sakurai's way of covering his ass so rabid fans don't send him more death threats when someone else popular gets snubbed ala Waluigi. Like if we saw Sora get a Mii costume, unlikely as that is, it'd deflect at least some of the "go die in hell" comments away from Sakurai.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I don't think Shantae is likely, but I do think the next Smash game will be where we finally hit indie game rep territory. That is if Reimu doesn't somehow magically make it into Smash Ultimate as DLC. As far as indie reps go, I think she's the last one that could only get in at this point.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai again mentions that Nintendo is the one choosing the characters in a Japanese only magazine column--"He must be lying." Yeah okay guys.

---

If the DLC is coming piecemeal instead of a season pass I'm still pulling for Dixie, but if it turns out to be another season pass I anticipate nothing but third parties again.

Well even if Sakurai was as involved as he said it's less "Nintendo Corporate Overlords dictating the choices" and more "Nintendo gave a list that Sakurai picked from."

And since that list included Terry Bogard it's clear that it's a wide net.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I feel dumb that I didn't think of an SNK rep. It was totally obvious that it'd happen eventually.

It's funny how people said it was obvious because they got announced. Many people in the community didn't even called it which made it even more special.

I suppose a hope is that Sakurai didn't mention Nintendo potentially having influence so he has full reign for this next batch of DLC and what company to collaborate with.

It also goes to what collaboration means. Like does this mean a Capcom character is off the table in the same way a Monolith Soft character is off the table? Because Capcom already has two characters there's not a need for a third and fourth?

Collaborations probably meant new franchises.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

---

I didn't subscribe to him lying but I did figure that maybe it wasn't as clear cut as Nintendo choosing the characters. With that said if Nintendo is deciding the characters then I fail to see why they won't do another Pass. They seem to have alot of input how the DLC is handled

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I'm out to lunch and just got to see PushDustIn's tweet for the first time. Why are y'all being a bunch of dummies? It says MORE collaborations, not NEW collaborations.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what this magical "Nintendo's List" even looks like. Are there like hundreds of characters there? Or just 3rd party companies? Any 1st parties?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Welp, if Nintendo really has been picking, they've been doing a bang up job of only choosing characters that Sakurai happens to really like, so assuming that this trend continues, I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well even if Sakurai was as involved as he said it's less "Nintendo Corporate Overlords dictating the choices" and more "Nintendo gave a list that Sakurai picked from."

And since that list included Terry Bogard it's clear that it's a wide net.
Why do people assume Nintendo gave him a list rather than discussing the characters/companies they want like civilized adults?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Shantae is likely, but I do think the next Smash game will be where we finally hit indie game rep territory. That is if Reimu doesn't somehow magically make it into Smash Ultimate as DLC. As far as indie reps go, I think she's the last one that could only get in at this point.
If there's any time to get an indie character it's now. Nintendo still has alot of say in who Sakurai could put in and Nintendo has good relationships with some notable indies including Wayforward and Shantae. If now with them looking for new collaborations of all companies in the world still isn't enough to get Sakurai to put in an indie character then they're not happening in the future.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people assume Nintendo gave him a list rather than discussing the characters/companies they want like civilized adults?

How else do you interpret "Nintendo made the choices and I decided if they were realizable"?

Like I thought this whole train of thought was that Sakurai was as uninvolved as he said.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

*Waits for people to keep twisting in knots to say Nintendo had nothing to do with the DLC selection process.*

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

*Waits for people to keep twisting in knots to say Nintendo had nothing to do with the DLC selection process.*

Sure I can buy Nintendo having complete influence on including Joker who also happens to have two versions of his game exclusive on the competition's platforms and was the first DLC character

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How else do you interpret "Nintendo made the choices and I decided if they were realizable"?
Nintendo approaches Sakurai
Nintendo: "Hey so we have a shit ton of SNK games right now on the eShop, the ACA re-releases have been a hit, SNK primarily made Heroines for a Switch audience, they're bringing SamSho to Switch and KoF is making its way to the platform later down the line. The company's been around for a long while now and we feel they've paid their dues. Think you could make an SNK character work?"
Sakurai: "Say no more, fam".

Sure I can buy Nintendo having complete influence on including Joker who also happens to have two versions of his game exclusive on the competition's platforms and was the first DLC character

Persona 5 not being on the Switch doesn't change the fact that Joker is the character to go for if they want an Atlus rep and want to print money.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
So basically it sounds like Nintendo goes "we're putting in this character" and if Sakurai goes " nah can't make that work", they just scrap the char choice?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo approaches Sakurai
Nintendo: "Hey so we have a shit ton of SNK games right now on the eShop, the ACA re-releases have been a hit, SNK primarily made Heroines for a Switch audience, they're bringing SamSho to Switch and KoF is making its way to the platform later down the line. The company's been around for a long while now and we feel they've paid their dues. Think you could make an SNK character work?"
Sakurai: "Say no more, fam".

If that's what you want to believe go ahead.

At the end of the day we're still getting characters who aren't exactly the kind of character you'd think Nintendo as a corporate entity would choose, what with starting out with new PS4 darling Persona 5.

So basically it sounds like Nintendo goes "we're putting in this character" and if Sakurai goes " nah can't make that work", they just scrap the char choice?

This is much more plausible to me.

Jan 9, 2018
I'm leaning towards mean territory, and I apologize because people are allowed to like anyone but…

Are Shantae fans just predicting her because they like her, or do they seriously try to realistically pick her?

Shovel Knight, which I also assumed as bigger franchise than Shantae, got AT over her and fucking Sans got Mii Costume.

If Shovel Knight & Undertale/SANS can't get in, Shantae is realistically hopeless. Would anyone argue Undertale is less known than Shantae.
We got a Fatal Fury rep before a Minecraft one, it's about more than just popularity.

I don't care about Shantae at all, but if the IP has a long history and is still relatively popular, as well as relevant, then I don't see why people can't hope to see it represented. Sure a character like Phoenix Wright is a lot more likely, but Shantae isn't unrealistic. Hoping for Kratos is unrealistic.

P.S. I'm using Wright as an example because I want him as a fighter now lol. My ideal third-party pass would include Agumon, Lara Croft, Tracer, and Phoenix Wright.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

Lol was gonna post that.
Good to see it confirmed, once again. Sakurai's veto right is important to note.
They also know stuff some people/companies don't for the future, and likely asked Atlus who they wanted in.
PQ2 is exclusive and most SMT games were timed (or full) exclusive to Nintendo too, should the competition be angry about that?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Realizable" to me feels like two things mainly
a) They seemingly fail to negotiate an agreeable term with a third party
b) Sakurai can't envision a moveset, either creatively or technically speaking. We've seen this in the past with characters like Heihachi, Ridley, and Villager, though the two latter eventually got their time in the sun. Inklings were most likely dropped from consideration for Smash 4 DLC for similar reasons I'd wager (can't see the ink mechanic working on 3DS).

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nintendo: "Hey Sakurai, here's a bigass list of characters we've picked for DLC, which one's do you think would work?"

Sakurai: *Sees Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo Kazooie, SNK, and ________ amidst the list* "These."

The fact that Banjo and Terry were considered at all by Nintendo makes it seem like that they sure have cast the net wide.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That explains why Sans probably became a Mii Costume. Could absolutely see Nintendo suggesting him and he went nah but we can work with a Mii Costume

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lol was gonna post that.
Good to see it confirmed, once again. Sakurai's veto right is important to note.

They also know stuff some people/companies don't for the future, and likely asked Atlus who they wanted in.
PQ2 is exclusive and most SMT games were timed (or full) exclusive to Nintendo too, should the competition be angry about that?
I think most people forgot PQ2 even existed as of now. Whatever apparently people can't have some skepticism on what Nintendo deciding the roster means anyway outside of Nintendo possibly providing a list of candidates

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo wanting to strengthen third party relations with teams like Atlus and SNK by putting their most popular characters in Smash is like the opposite of unrealistic.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is much more plausible to me.
I don't know why you're pretending as if my point and the point you quoted there are mutually exclusive somehow.

Plus, people overthink the Joker inclusion a lot. Even if P5 wasn't on Switch, they're riding a lot of mindshare by including him. It also helps that Atlus have always been a pretty close third party, and including him only strengthens that relationship.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine some Nintendo execs and Sakurai being in a boardroom and going over every company and character that could work and deciding what they can do with them. Question I have is if this next batch is based on this same "meeting" and had some extra characters they could work on next if/when the Fighter Pass did well.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm out to lunch and just got to see PushDustIn's tweet for the first time. Why are y'all being a bunch of dummies? It says MORE collaborations, not NEW collaborations.

It could meant new franchises so I hope that it's in case! So that meant more franchises from Namco and Capcom.

Like I thought this whole train of thought was that Sakurai was as uninvolved as he said.

Ya know it could be just conversation where Nintendo could ask like who do you think would be a good choice for Smash Bros from Atlus. Sakurai probably shout, "Joker!"

*laughs*

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I can imagine some Nintendo execs and Sakurai being in a boardroom and going over every company and character that could work and deciding what they can do with them. Question I have is if this next batch is based on this same "meeting" and had some extra characters they could work on next when they found the Fighter Pass doing well.
They also might have just had another meeting to hash out characters after deciding on Season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.