• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
We got a Fatal Fury rep before a Minecraft one, it's about more than just popularity.

I don't care about Shantae at all, but if the IP has a long history and is still relatively popular, as well as relevant, then I don't see why people can't hope to see it represented. Sure a character like Phoenix Wright is a lot more likely, but Shantae isn't unrealistic. Hoping for Kratos is unrealistic.

P.S. I'm using Wright as an example because I want him as a fighter now lol. My ideal third-party pass would include Agumon, Lara Croft, Tracer, and Phoenix Wright.
I said in previous page that "Sakurai likes the character" is enough of a reason to add character. That's why Terry is in.

I'm just saying Shantae is not likely due to being in game as Spirit already, and two other popular indies got better treatment. Shantae is unrealistic in that regard.

Or are we doing the whole "Spirits are not deconfirmation, but Assist Trophies are" thing when most likely both of em are deconfirmations.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Is there an appreciable difference between the two in the given context?
Yes. New explicitly means they are speaking to companies that do not have characters present in Smash. More just means they're going to add more third-party characters, potentially from already represented collaborators like Capcom and Sega. There is a world of difference there.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I said in previous page that "Sakurai likes the character" is enough of a reason to add character. That's why Terry is in.

I'm just saying Shantae is not likely due to being in game as Spirit already, and two other popular indies got better treatment. Shantae is unrealistic in that regard.

Or are we doing the whole "Spirits are not deconfirmation, but Assist Trophies are" thing when most likely both of em are deconfirmations.
The Spirit was probably implemented way before Sakurai and Nintendo probably decided these next characters and since then Shantae still remained a popular request, Wayforward has continued to collaborate with Nintendo, and she's getting a new game. Could see her back in the cards with this DLC.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This Reggie quote from the VGAs has held pretty true about the DLC. Nintendo cast a really wide net with the choices, and I can see this as improving relationships with the likes of Atlus or SNK.

https://www.hrkgame.com/newsroom/reggie-fils-aime-emphasizes-wide-net-approach-to-smash-bros-dlc/
The reason it was so important to showcase Joker was really to help the player understand that the net has been cast very wide for the different new fighters who will enter Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. From that perspective, it's going to be very exciting.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been shooting out the "Nintendo is using Smash DLC to continue fostering relations with third parties" theory pretty much since Joker. Nice to see you're all starting to agree with me, lol.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very interested in seeing who Nintendo would choose for Capcom. They have so many choices and angles to go with. Do they reward the franchise with the most presence on Nintendo systems (Ace Attorney), a popular franchise that has just started to appear on Nintendo systems (Devil May Cry), or a long standing legacy series (Resident Evil). Like all 3 are very likely with Nintendo pitching these characters.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been shooting out the "Nintendo is using Smash DLC to continue fostering relations with third parties" theory pretty much since Joker. Nice to see you're all starting to agree with me, lol.
Yeah, you can definitely find a lot of posts I made back last year in November where I kept saying Nintendo would absolutely go for a Joker pick if the question was strengthening their partnerships with Atlus.

Jack Frost would probably be a much broader pick, but personally I believe if you're Nintendo, you'd want to go for Joker. Persona 5 is Atlus' biggest property right now, with the biggest worldwide appeal, and the character has already seen crossovers with a bunch of other stuff like Granblue. Getting a character from that award-winning JRPG that shipped over 2 million copies? That's the kind of inclusion that makes headlines and makes people want to buy your DLC.

Of course, I still have a lot of egg on my face from that time for insisting that a new Persona 5 version would be on Switch. So gg Heartskips. I still think the sentiment is valid though; Sony platforms are losing a lot of ground in Japan, so I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see mainline Persona on Nintendo - somewhere, someday. We are getting Scramble, so it's a start.

Last edited:

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get a Xenoblade 2 representative.
I have high hopes for a couple of reasons.

One is that we got Banjo and Sans in the game and they were no doubt popular requests. Rex and XC2 is still asked to have a character in Smash so I don't imagine Nintendo is going to completely ignore it. In fact if these characters were selected in the summer after E3 and saw the incredible reaction to Banjo they might be more willing to pay attention to fan requests.

When Shulk was added they added Monolith Soft as a new collaborator and since then Monolith has been a huge asset to Nintendo so I can see them considering Monolith again.

So Rex being a popular request, Monolith having a huge stake with Nintendo, and Sakurai ultimately having the final say could bode well for Rex depending on when the new batch of DLC was decided on.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Of course, I still have a lot of egg on my face from that time for insisting that a new Persona 5 version would be on Switch. So gg Heartskips.
If it makes you feel better, there were people here absolutely certain that Banjo-Kazooie was going to get a Switch port or remaster announcement last week and...well, play it on Xbox.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it'd kinda rub me the wrong way if Rex was made playable while Spring Man was left to rot because oops, we already made him an AT.

It just feels weird to include one or the other and not both.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly it'd kinda rub me the wrong way if Rex was made playable while Spring Man was left to rot because oops, we already made him an AT.

Spring Man will probably have another chance next time around, but Rex won't. That plus the demand for Rex has been greater.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it makes you feel better, there were people here absolutely certain that Banjo-Kazooie was going to get a Switch port or remaster announcement last week and...well, play it on Xbox.

You'll all be sorry when Rare Replay - Switch Edition comes out with Diddy Kong Racing!

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018

Not like you can include both at the same time at this rate tbh. Add Rex now and Spring Man doesn't happen cause of the Assist Trophy, wait till next Smash game for Spring Man and Rex will probably get ignored for whatever Xenoblade protagonist is current.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Rex is at least a popular request. Spring Man literally died when he was an AT and there's not much of a push to include over say Waluigi. Granted a Mii Costume is "less" damning but overall there's been outcry for Rex to be playable and Sakurai said he would've made Rex playable if not for timing.

Plus ARMS is still a new IP and we don't know if Sakurai would be that confident for ARMS having the lasting impact in the future. If nothing else at least Spring Man can participate in battles and showcase his unique skillset. Rex can't do that at all right now.

If anything the better comparison is if we get Astral Chain as DLC. That would be some absolute shit for ARMS.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019

I wonder if he actually has an end in sight or if he's just going with the flow until he decides he's done adding characters.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ha. At the end of the day I think a lot of people were at one point or another guilty of looking at promo picks through a lens. Microsoft might not be porting BK/BT to Switch anytime soon, but his inclusion does coincide with a strong tide of Microsoft produced projects and collaborations happening on Nintendo, which includes the murmurs of Halo coming over. So while Banjo isn't coinciding with a port or a new game or anything, he is moreso emblematic of current circumstances that can by-and-large be seen as promotional; and the reason Banjo was chosen to herald that is because it seemed everyone - even Phil Spencer - believed it was the only choice. This also applies to Terry (KoF and SamSho are back in full force, company has a strong Nintendo presence post-resurrection) and Joker (Atlus are working on SMTV, worked directly with Nintendo on TMS#FE which is getting ported, had ties to Nintendo for a long time). Hero is a bit more "blatant" in its promotional sense but then I also imagine it was more serendipitous that the DQXI port happened when it did.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Rex is at least a popular request. Spring Man literally died when he was an AT and there's not much of a push to include over say Waluigi. Granted a Mii Costume is "less" damning but overall there's been outcry for Rex to be playable and Sakurai said he would've made Rex playable if not for timing.

Plus ARMS is still a new IP and we don't know if Sakurai would be that confident for ARMS having the lasting impact in the future. If nothing else at least Spring Man can participate in battles and showcase his unique skillset. Rex can't do that at all right now.

If anything the better comparison is if we get Astral Chain as DLC. That would be some absolute shit for ARMS.
To be fair, outside of Waluigi & maybe Isaac, most of the demand for characters that are ATs either decreased significantly or are straight-up dead.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ha. At the end of the day I think a lot of people were at one point or another guilty of looking at promo picks through a lens. Microsoft might not be porting BK/BT to Switch anytime soon, but his inclusion does coincide with a strong tide of Microsoft produced projects and collaborations happening on Nintendo, which includes the murmurs of Halo coming over. So while Banjo isn't coinciding with a port or a new game or anything, he is moreso emblematic of current circumstances that can by-and-large be seen as promotional; and the reason Banjo was chosen to herald that is because it seemed everyone - even Phil Spencer - believed it was the only choice. This also applies to Terry (KoF and SamSho are back in full force, company has a strong Nintendo presence post-resurrection) and Joker (Atlus are working on SMTV, worked directly with Nintendo on TMS#FE which is getting ported, had ties to Nintendo for a long time). Hero is a bit more "blatant" in its promotional sense but then I also imagine it was more serendipitous that the DQXI port happened when it did.

DQ XI was the first announced game for Switch, lol.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Y'know... even though there are first-party characters that I want, I'm totally fine with getting only third-party characters. It seems like Sakurai wants to make this the biggest crossover of all time given the fact that he's fed us these lines multiple times now. Smash will always be able to include Nintendo characters, but this may be the only time Nintendo is willing and able to splurge on all kinds of different characters from a thousand publishers.

*fast-forward to December, when Bokoblin is announce as the fifth Fighters Pass character"

FUCK.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Sakurai said:
If Smash Bros. continues in the future, then there's no way this many fighters and series can be represented again. There are still requests from all over the world for new fighters in Smash."

If they don't use Ultimate as the base for the next Smash game then they should really just cap Ultimate as the swan song for the Smash Bros franchise.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DQ XI was the first announced game for Switch, lol.
That was honestly wild. I think I even remember speculation after a while that they may not have intended to mention that, or that it was a pipe dream or some such. But nope, here we are all those years later with a version that - outside of technical limitations - looks better than its vanilla counterpart.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm very interested in seeing who Nintendo would choose for Capcom. They have so many choices and angles to go with. Do they reward the franchise with the most presence on Nintendo systems (Ace Attorney), a popular franchise that has just started to appear on Nintendo systems (Devil May Cry), or a long standing legacy series (Resident Evil). Like all 3 are very likely with Nintendo pitching these characters.
Monster Hunter would be pretty much the obvious pick for Capcom.
Especially since they allowed a character in a fighting game recently (which they were against in the past), and since Rathalos is a boss in Smash.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, outside of Waluigi & maybe Isaac, most of the demand for characters that are ATs either decreased significantly or are straight-up dead.
At the same time Spring Man, Waluigi, and Issac were the only ones that would've had significant demand even if they weren't ATs. I think ARMS fans were fine with it because there would always be the next game but Rex fans are more indignant because of the possibility of Rex being passed over again in future for XC3's protagonist, and Sakurai straight up saying he would've put him in the game if XC2 was announced/released earlier. Rex feels like a genuine missed opportunity.

Actually to be a conspiracy nut here I have to wonder if Sakurai did that on purpose. It's bizarre as hell he announces that there would be more characters via DLC and then immediately more or less deconfirms a character for the Pass and says that he would've liked to put the character in if not for timing. Like it feels so mean spirited that I have to wonder if he did that on purpose to get fans to ask for the character for future DLC if it there was going to be more as absolutely nuts as that sounds

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
What is the biggest roster in fighters anyway? Probably a KOF.
Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 3 has 98, but they're all pretty much clones. Same with Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 which has 119.
Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs Full Boost has 130. Tobal 2 has 200. EA Sports UFC 3 has 270. Smash is behind all of these, but I'm pretty sure out of all of these, Smash's characters are the most intensive and unique.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because you will be able to play that on a new console presumably with new characters, features and junk?
Just because it doesn't have everything, doesn't mean it's without merit
We got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as the only Mario Kart game for the foreseeable future on Switch. If anything I think people would be more willing to pay for versions of Ultimate with new characters for the next couple console generations then a game with a full reset.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because you will be able to play that on a new console presumably with new characters, features and junk?
Just because it doesn't have everything, doesn't mean it's without merit

Meh.

Iterative sequels for fighting games are unnecessary. If there's one genre that can smoothly transition to GaaS, it's the fighter.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
been a while that I don't enter here ... any new fun rumor/leak from the past month or so ?

If they don't use Ultimate as the base for the next Smash game then they should really just cap Ultimate as the swan song for the Smash Bros franchise.

even if they use as the base, there are LOTS of licensing deals to be made regarding songs and characters and companies.

AKA : First party is ok, but they can't promisse snake or cloud will be there in the next

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai: Nintendo is the one choosing all the characters

Smash: *nearly all characters are from franchises Sakurai has expressed a big fondness for in the past*

hmmm

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
We got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as the only Mario Kart game for the foreseeable future on Switch. If anything I think people would be more willing to pay for versions of Ultimate with new characters for the next couple console generations.
I mean sure that's the ideal, that their just keep porting ultimate forever and add more, but if it doesn't happen they're not going to kill the series. Smash is and will always remain special, they will continue to make it even if the circumstances mean they have to leave characters behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.