• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Arbitrary unproven statements statements about vocal folks are kinda irrelevant where there are specific subreddits, discords, twitter threads etc. With people sharing their interests.

A bunch my timeline is "can knuckles and shadow get into smash" and rex and ashly

I dunno man, in a post terry bogard world how folks collect their data on interest...is irrelevant. I mean it was before, but it extra is now.

At the beginning of this I think reggie samurai or both talked about not listening to internet polls or lists. And that makes sense.

The reaction to terry meaning more to central and south America and China speaks volumes to how limited the perspective is.

I dunno I cant tell yall how to live. I'm just saying Nintendo most likely has very different reads on the data they get. And trying to assign levels of interest where are now is useless. But live your life

Now, back to my final fantasy xiv hole

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I just had a random thought that it's pretty ironic that both Ryu and Terry - two classic and iconic fighting game reps - had to get leaked. Both of which had really damn hype trailers too.

I wish I could've seen both of these without the advance knowledge that they'd be in the game. (Side note: was Ryu the first character who had "Smash Bros. x Franchise"?)

Let's hope Sol doesn't leak!

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I just had a random thought that it's pretty ironic that both Ryu and Terry - two classic and iconic fighting game reps - had to get leaked. Both of which had really damn hype trailers too.

I wish I could've seen both of these without the advance knowledge that they'd be in the game. (Side note: was Ryu the first character who had "Smash Bros. x Franchise"?)

Let's hope Sol doesn't leak!

First character yeah. Mega Man & Pac-Man didn't have the big SMASH BROS X [Franchise] things
But I think the first Smash anything was actually the costume video

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Could you imagine if Ultimate was supported up until the end of the Switch's lifespan? I'm seriously curious as to how long Sakurai wants to support this game. Could you imagine the roster though?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Welp, another couple of years of arguing whether "Nintendo" selected the characters or not.

I'm happy we're getting a healthy post-launch support, since I can't imagine myself being too interested in the roster for a new Smash. There aren't many characters left that I would get that excited for and the inevitable cuts would take the wind out of it.

What the hell is this game's title screen gonna look like with all the copyrights at the end of it?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that regardless if it's Sakurai or the Nintendo Illuminati we've still gotten knockout pick after knockout pick this DLC.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 28 | Nintendo please announce the next console and end our madness

I checked /v/ after the more DLC announcement and people were livid because Smash speculation threads were already dominating the front page, lol.

Gotta be honest, it's gonna be hard to be interested in years of speculation after already getting my most wanted characters. Which is a position I never thought I'd find myself in, but yeah. I'm obviously not ungrateful or anything, just... I've always been heavily involved in Smash speculation during a release cycle but now I don't know what to do with myself. The idea of just detaching myself and waiting for characters to release is hard to imagine but I'm starting to understand why yuoke bailed, lol.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, was The King of Fighters '94 the first crossover fighting game ever made? It never really occurred to me how much KOF seems to have inspired Smash Bros. Even the invitation letters are similar.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't commit to another structured pass

Free us from the shackles of "new character from new IP, stage and music from that same IP"

Surprise us. Drop echoes and stages randomly, etc.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I'm just excited to see exactly how long we're going to be getting DLC characters for, and if we'll continue to get them at a similar rate. I think at this point, I'm not expecting it, but the equivalent of a Fighter Pass 2 or even 3 isn't outside of the realm of possibility.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know we talk about Sakurai needing a break from Smash, and I'd love a new original game from him, but you have to admit this must be a dream assignment for him. Guy loves video games, and gets to essentially play ambassador to any major video game series he wants? I would absolutely stay onboard for as long as they'd let me.

It must be exhausting but I can't imagine anything more satisfying than getting to play with your favorite characters... and then get praised by their creators by how much of an honor it was.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I checked /v/ after the more DLC announcement and people were livid because Smash speculation threads were already dominating the front page, lol.

Gotta be honest, it's gonna be hard to be interested in years of speculation after already getting my most wanted characters. Which is a position I never thought I'd find myself in, but yeah. I'm obviously not ungrateful or anything, just... I've always been heavily involved in Smash speculation during a release cycle but now I don't know what to do with myself. The idea of just detaching myself and waiting for characters to release is hard to imagine but I'm starting to understand why yuoke bailed, lol.
When did he say he was leaving? I've seen him recently in smash related threads

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, was The King of Fighters '94 the first crossover fighting game ever made? It never really occurred to me how much KOF seems to have inspired Smash Bros. Even the invitation letters are similar.
I believe it is, though it's easy to forget given how many SNK characters are just assumed to be in the same universe by default these days.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is one of the first major video game crossovers I can think of, lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In terms of being an outright fighting crossover between multiple properties, yeah I think so.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

This road has been a bit of a rough one for me. After both of my initial requests (Spring Man & Rex) got publicly executed live on stream, I just felt indifferent towards the later inclusions (not hate, obviously). And as the lack of gender & racial diversity became more & more apparent, it began to bother me that much more. The only wins I got out of all this were Inkling (who was inevitable), Chrom, & Joker (all 3 of which I still play to this day). I guess between all the speculating, school, the plays that I've done & will be in, & other stuff on my own end, I'm just tired.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested in seeing who Nintendo would choose for Capcom. They have so many choices and angles to go with. Do they reward the franchise with the most presence on Nintendo systems (Ace Attorney), a popular franchise that has just started to appear on Nintendo systems (Devil May Cry), or a long standing legacy series (Resident Evil). Like all 3 are very likely with Nintendo pitching these characters.

Don't forget GnG since it's in Mini NES so Nintendo haven't forgotten all about them!

Who am I rooting for? all of them!

DMC: I usually don't cares about DMC but I know Dante is going to rocking so hard with good taunts and victory poses, and I'm rooting for them for Okabe and my friend.

Ace Attorney is one of my favorite DS franchise (I know it started on GBA in Japan) but I really have a lot of nostalgia with many quirky characters and how wacky the game can be. When it become dark, oh boy, it does with couple of cases.

Resident Evil - I played several games in this franchise but I'm rooting for Jill Valentine for few reasons, and I'm totally open for Chris and Leon's inclusion as well. Hopefully they would find a way to get them in if they are interested.

GnG - its' freaking Arthur. He does feel like he made for Smash Bros!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If they do another season pass (or two), at least I can brace myself for the expectation that it will indeed all be third party.

I used to be more against third parties getting in, but after waiting a decade for Ridley and K. Rool, I'm not going to raise a lot of hell. This is almost certainly going to be the first Smash where the third party newcomers outnumber first party ones. I would have hated this idea 10 years ago, but I promised I wouldn't complain about the roster if K. Rool got in, lol.

Smash has truly changed.

It was during the SNK leak.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Grinch Leak is also one of those times where it seemed too good to be true only that time it... was too good to be true.

Just because an unlikely thing ends up happening doesn't mean it wasn't ever unlikely.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
What is the biggest roster in fighters anyway? Probably a KOF.

10.) Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS - 58 characters

9). Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 59 characters

8.) King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match - 60 characters

7.) Mortal Kombat Armageddon - 62 characters (Wii version - 63)

6.) Def Jam: Fight for NY - 74 characters

5.) Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 - 98 characters (161 forms)

4.) Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - 119 characters

3.) Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs Full Boost - 130 characters

2.) Tobal 2 - 200 characters

1.) EA Sports UFC 3 - 270 characters

Tobal 2 (200 playable characters).

Eh, is that really a good fighting game? I was more like a legit good roster game?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sakurai: Nintendo is the one choosing all the characters

Smash: *nearly all characters are from franchises Sakurai has expressed a big fondness for in the past*
hmmm

SNK flooded the switch with games since the start and is releasing samurai shodown soon
Persona had the persona q2 game releasing basically in the same month they announced Joker and sega is nintendo's bff
Dragon Quest 11 was one of the first games announced for the nx switch
The only weird one is Banjo but it is not like Nintendo wasn't in talks with Microsoft before he happened =P

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To continue on what I was saying earlier, what made matters worse is that the growing lack of gender & racial diversity basically soured me on almost all of my previous requests, Rex & Spring Man included. Now I feel true indifference towards the characters.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
DMC: I usually don't cares about DMC but I know Dante is going to rocking so hard with good taunts and victory poses, and I'm rooting for them for @Okabe and my friend.
35e4c7vgtou01.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, is that really a good fighting game? I was more like a legit good roster game?

The roster is very padded, and half of the characters are random models, creatures and animals that have no congruity. You have battle mechs fighting generic D&D wizards, transparent globs, martial artists and gorillas.

VpOv6OC.png

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it is, though it's easy to forget given how many SNK characters are just assumed to be in the same universe by default these days.
It was a lot more obvious back in those days because the '94 teams were very clearly representing different SNK franchises, some of whom had never been in a fighting game before, like the Athena/Psycho Soldier and Ikari Warriors teams.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
10.) Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS - 58 characters

9). Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 59 characters

8.) King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match - 60 characters

7.) Mortal Kombat Armageddon - 62 characters (Wii version - 63)

6.) Def Jam: Fight for NY - 74 characters

5.) Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 - 98 characters (161 forms)

4.) Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - 119 characters

3.) Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs Full Boost - 130 characters

2.) Tobal 2 - 200 characters

1.) EA Sports UFC 3 - 270 characters

Weird to see smash ultimate out of a list in a smash ultimate thread xD

Are we in what, 76 characters?

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I know we talk about Sakurai needing a break from Smash, and I'd love a new original game from him, but you have to admit this must be a dream assignment for him. Guy loves video games, and gets to essentially play ambassador to any major video game series he wants? I would absolutely stay onboard for as long as they'd let me.

It must be exhausting but I can't imagine anything more satisfying than getting to play with your favorite characters... and then get praised by their creators by how much of an honor it was.

Exactly. I would like to keep working under those scenario where it's pretty benefctable for myself and my franchise to expands the crossover with so many crossovers.

He's only bailed out of this thread because he and Gold Arsene always getting into hostile arguments almost on daily basis over Resident Evil. I think he probably felt so defeated here because we got SNK character instead of Resident Evil. If you ask me, I think he probably gave up too soon.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
yeah Tobal was able to have so many playable characters because the vast majority of them are worthless

Status
Not open for further replies.