• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
By the way, i'm taking pride in the fact that Sakurai's column confirmed my initial theory on what "Nintendo chose the characters" really means.

Nintendo presented a list of characters to Sakurai, and he would decide if they were realisable in Smash or not.

I remember some people having a problem with that explanation back in November.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Alright, after digging pretty deeply into the official japanese government website for patents and trademarks I've discovered thaaaat

Doshin the Giant belongs to literally no one.

I couldn't find a single mention of it. I searched Nintendo's trademarks all the way until 2002, I made a general search for "Doshin", "Doshin the Giant", "ドシン" and "巨人のドシン" and literally nothing related to the game turns up. It probably is stuck in some kind of licensing hell for this to happen.

Either that or Nintendo forgot to renew it and in that case we could register as a SmashEra trademark and make our own Doshin games. He'd even have a bigger chance of joining Smash because then he'd be third party!

Edit: if anyone wants to try their luck

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I know people probably don't share same feelings as I do but it's pretty crazy that we're approaching at 100 characters with Hero. I know some alt costumes doesn't matters to you but I just like them because Sakurai actually go far as it goes with some alt costumes.
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Dark Link
  5. Samus
  6. Dark Samus
  7. Yoshi
  8. Kirby
  9. Fox
  10. Pikachu
  11. Pikachu Libre (Pokken character)
  12. Luigi
  13. Ness
  14. Captain Falcon
  15. Blood Falcon
  16. Jigglypuff
  17. Peach
  18. Daisy
  19. Bowser
  20. Ice Climbers
  21. Sheik
  22. Zelda
  23. Dr. Mario
  24. Pichu
  25. Falco
  26. Marth
  27. Lucina
  28. Young Link
  29. Ganondorf
  30. Mewtwo
  31. Roy
  32. Chrom
  33. Mr. Game & Watch
  34. Meta Knight
  35. Dark Meta Knight
  36. Pit
  37. Dark Pit
  38. Zero Suit Samus
  39. Wario
  40. Solid Snake
  41. Ike
  42. Pokemon Trainer: Red
  43. Pokemon Trainer: Leaf
  44. Squirtle
  45. Ivysaur
  46. Charizard
  47. Diddy Kong
  48. Lucas
  49. Sonic
  50. King Dedede
  51. Pikmin & Olimar
  52. Pikmin & Alph
  53. Lucario
  54. R.O.B
  55. Toon Link
  56. Shadow Link
  57. Wolf
  58. Villager (Male)
  59. Villager (Female)
  60. Mega Man
  61. Wii Fit Trainer
  62. Rosalina & Luma
  63. Little Mac
  64. Greninja
  65. Mii Brawler
  66. Mii Gunner
  67. Mii Swordfighter
  68. Palutena
  69. PAC-MAN
  70. Robin (Male)
  71. Robin (Female)
  72. Shulk
  73. Bowser Jr.
  74. Larry
  75. Roy
  76. Wendy
  77. Iggy
  78. Morton
  79. Lemmy
  80. Ludwig
  81. Duck Hunt
  82. Ryu
  83. Ken
  84. Cloud
  85. Corrin (Male)
  86. Corrin (Female)
  87. Bayonetta
  88. Inkling (Female)
  89. Inkling (Male)
  90. Agent 3
  91. Ridley
  92. Simon Belmont
  93. Richter Belmont
  94. King K. Rool
  95. Isabelle
  96. Incineroar
  97. Piranha Plant
  98. Joker
  99. Luminary
  100. Eight
  101. Solo
  102. Erdrick
  103. Banjo-Kazooie
  104. Terry

Wow, you went all in and listed even the established roster. Good stuff.

What are your feelings on:

Spiky Eared Pichu
Claus
Galacta Knight
Meta Ridley

Also, it has been some time since I've done a full play through of Wind Waker, at what point do you encounter Dark Toon Link (Shadow Link?)? I had never seen him referred to as a separate canonical character until this list.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018

Spiky Eared Pichu
Claus
Galacta Knight
Meta Ridley

Also, it has been some time since I've done a full play through of Wind Waker, at what point do you encounter Dark Toon Link (Shadow Link?)? I had never seen him referred to as a separate canonical character until this list.
Dark Toon Link is in Four Swords Adventures and Spirit Tracks, not Wind Waker.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Either that or Nintendo forgot to renew it and in that case we could register as a SmashEra trademark and make our own Doshin games. He'd even have a bigger chance of joining Smash because then he'd be third party!

I'd throw in $5.00 to the Kickstarter to register the trademark for Doshin the Giant.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For me I just count the characters who get Fighter's Spirits. So Koopalings I'll count but not Dark Link as an example.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Spiky Eared Pichu
Claus
Galacta Knight
Meta Ridley

Well, Galacta Knight wasn't accurate since it didn't have his wings so I didn't count that one.

Is Meta Ridley essentially same character as Ridley but with mechanical parts? That's why I didn't count him.

Claus I'm not sure about that since I haven't play that game yet but I'm planning to tackle that eventually.

Spiky Eared Pichu? Did they played any big role other than Celebi's time travel event.?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

(I'm just taking any opportunity to post Jurassic Park gifs now)
Recorded image of Shinobi602 leaking Banjo.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I like to count Agent 3 too because of Splatoon lore; --but besides Koopalings, the Dragon Quest heroes and Alph, alternate skins/costumes/genders not really.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Well, Galacta Knight wasn't accurate since it didn't have his wings so I didn't count that one.

Is Meta Ridley essentially same character as Ridley but with mechanical parts? That's why I didn't count him.

Claus I'm not sure about that since I haven't play that game yet but I'm planning to tackle that eventually.

Spiky Eared Pichu? Did they played any big role other than Celebi's time travel event.?

There is legitimate debate within the Metroid fanbase as to how exactly Meta Ridley's appearances work canonically when Ridley is seen literally blowing up on several occasions. Some theorize that Meta Ridley is an enhanced clone of the original Ridley, but it is unclear if it shares the consciousness of the original or is a distinct character.

As for Spiky Eared Pichu, I believe he's prominently featured in a few episodes of the Pokemon anime in addition to the Celebi time travel event in HeartGold/SoulSilver. Still, he is definitely an incredibly minor character.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I feel like a monster hunter fighter in sm is never gonna happen
By the way, i'm taking pride in the fact that Sakurai's column confirmed my initial theory on what "Nintendo chose the characters" really means.

Nintendo presented a list of characters to Sakurai, and he would decide if they were realisable in Smash or not.

I remember some people having a problem with that explanation back in November.
im also happy cause that's pretty much exactly how I interpreted his original comments lmao.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
There is legitimate debate within the Metroid fanbase as to how exactly Meta Ridley's appearances work canonically when Ridley is seen literally blowing up on several occasions. Some theorize that Meta Ridley is an enhanced clone of the original Ridley, but it is unclear if it shares the consciousness of the original or is a distinct character.

As for Spiky Eared Pichu, I believe he's prominently featured in a few episodes of the Pokemon anime in addition to the Celebi time travel event in HeartGold/SoulSilver. Still, he is definitely an incredibly minor character.

Actually Spike Eared Pichu is female.

But that's interesting with Metroid fanbase's theory so I guess it's down to subjective opinions of people's preferences?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I have this right.

Ridley gets shot up in Metroid, rebuilt as Meta Ridley for the Prime Trilogy before regrowing his organic body as Proteus Ridley in Samus Returns and completely eschewing cybernetics in Super Metroid, where he dies. Then he's cloned for Other M and that clone's husk ends up on the ship from Metroid Fusion where it gets infected by X.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I promised you facts so here are the facts!

JDq4YaZ.jpg

Red are series already in Smash and purples are not. Yes, I did this for fun, so don't get your knickers in too much of a twist over it, however, since I provide HARD NUMBERS, this chart is technically the most factual chart ever posted in the Smash community!

Now for some fun observations:
  • You have really can stop denying that Touhou is a monster. It has THREE times as many entries as Pokémon in second place! That's just crazy.
  • Persona clearly isn't as niche as some people liked to make it out as.
  • Fire Emblem has earned its keep and deserves its reps.
  • You can stop pretending The iDOLM@STER isn't popular now.

Now this is just the top 20, but I did collect data for a lot more series and it can all be found here:

As you can see I even included the tag I used for each search you can double check my numbers (note that popular series have likely gone up already). Oh and since this is all fan art, I did have to turn off all the filters (and scrub my eyes out*). I tried to do most of the commonly mentioned series. If you feel I missed anything major please do tell. Should note I scrapped ARMS and Halo cos they turned up a lot of unrelated art featurings arms and halos. Partly got around the Mother issue by simply looking up Mother2 and Mother3 tags and adding them together.

So outside of the image, some more notes:
  • Poor ROB at the bottom. However note in Japan he's known as Robot, so I couldn't exactly search for that, and thus had to use a much more specific tag of 'Family Computer Robot'.
  • Guily Gear looks to be next most popular fighting series!
  • Also just because you're super well known doesn't mean you're gonna get the fan art. Mario is pretty far down. And Pac-Man is really far down.
  • For a series apparantly banned in Japan, that's quite a decent number for Mortal Kombat (note, not all submissions are from Japan)
  • Fatal Fury is more popular than Metal Gear and Castlevania, two series no one really questioned when they got added to Smash.
  • Apparently no one cares about Ninja Gaiden's Ryu Hayabusa. However Dead or Alive's Ryu Hayabusa has a bit of a fanbase.
  • RIP Twinbee :(

*Heaven forbid I do one for Deviant Art…

EDIT: Apparantly Pixiv bugged out on me and gave the wrong numbers for iDOLM@STER and Fate. I've fixed this now.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know we're not supposed to say it but I am lowkey considering Reimu or Quote being Fighter 5.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Ridley gets shot up in Metroid

See this is the absolute problem with this interpretation. Ridley doesn't just get shot up. He blows the fuck up. Entirely. There's nothing left to "rebuild" into Meta Ridley. Meta Ridley has to be some kind of clone.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Always appears as female in the game.

I had no idea it was hard coded to always be female. That is fascinating. I never checked Pokemon gender when I was younger, so I had just assumed mine was male. Well there you go, even more evidence that Spiky Eared Pichu is indeed a distinct character from regular Smash Pichu.

snackary

Mar 11, 2019
I promised you facts so here are the facts!

y2DD3U2.jpg

Red are series already in Smash and purples are not. Yes, I did this for fun, so don't get your knickers in too much of a twist over it, however, since I provide HARD NUMBERS, this chart is technically the most factual chart ever posted in the Smash community!

Now for some fun observations:
  • You have really can stop denying that Touhou is a monster. It has THREE times as many entries as Pokémon in second place! That's just crazy.
  • Persona clearly isn't as niche as some people liked to make it out as.
  • Fire Emblem has earned its keep and deserves its reps.
  • You can stop pretending The iDOLM@STER isn't popular now.

Now this is just the top 20, but I did collect data for a lot more series and it can all be found here:

As you can see I even included the tag I used for each search you can double check my numbers (note that popular series have likely gone up already). Oh and since this is all fan art, I did have to turn off all the filters (and scrub my eyes out*). I tried to do most of the commonly mentioned series. If you feel I missed anything major please do tell. Should note I scrapped ARMS and Halo cos they turned up a lot of unrelated art featurings arms and halos. Partly got around the Mother issue by simply looking up Mother2 and Mother3 tags and adding them together.

So outside of the image, some more notes:
  • Poor ROB at the bottom. However note in Japan he's known as Robot, so I couldn't exactly search for that, and thus had to use a much more specific tag of 'Family Computer Robot'.
  • Guily Gear looks to be next most popular fighting series!
  • Also just because you're super well known doesn't mean you're gonna get the fan art. Mario is pretty far down. And Pac-Man is really far down.
  • For a series apparantly banned in Japan, that's quite a decent number for Mortal Kombat (note, not all submissions are from Japan)
  • Fatal Fury is more popular than Metal Gear and Castlevania, two series no one really questioned when they got added to Smash.
  • Apparently no one cares about Ninja Gaiden's Ryu Hayabusa. However Dead or Alive's Ryu Hayabusa has a bit of a fanbase.
  • RIP Twinbee :(

*Heaven forbid I do one for Deviant Art…

Idolmaster and Fate would both be a lot closer to Pokemon if you took the mobile games into account. The mobile games for each franchise have around 300,000 images based on pixiv tags.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Sephiroth Mii Costume with a 2 minute, ripped version of One Winged Angel

the costume costs 2 dollars

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sephiroth Mii Costume with a 2 minute, ripped version of One Winged Angel

the costume costs 2 dollars

I do wonder if costumes w/ music are going to be a thing going forward or if it was just Sans.

I think if Geno's costume comes back he'll get at least Beware the Forest's Mushrooms.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Idolmaster and Fate would both be a lot closer to Pokemon if you took the mobile games into account. The mobile games for each franchise have around 300,000 images based on pixiv tags.
Woah. I redid my iM@S search and my original number is completely wrong. Got 593,955! Guess I'll have to fix that.

Well, that just means my proof that iM@S is big just got factier.

Status
Not open for further replies.