• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
A lot of this speculation really depends on how long these characters were held out on. When Smash released, they were only developing two characters based on the datamine, which was Joker and Hero. Plant wasn't released yet at that point but it was clear he was a holdover from the base roster that was ostensibly 95% complete when they were ready to show him.

Considering the datamine was largely obtained from pre-launch day versions it's safe to say that said parameters were in the game around the time the game would've gone gold, which suggests Joker and Hero were in development since around November, so they alternate developing two characters while putting the third in pre-production during what's essentially the debug phase/holding pattern for a finished character. That's still extremely early for any information on who the first post-FP character is imo, as I'd assume they'll only really go into full production on that in November.
Who's talking about datamining here? Don't the words of Sakurai mean more than that?

They were working on three (likely at varying levels of priority; with only preliminary work being done on B&K at this time) at launch.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The post I was replying to was declaring them as "the most demanded character in 20 years", which sorry, there's no proof of (especially with characters like Ridley asked for since Melee, and most "big" characters asked after 64 being put in the game in Melee).

Those characters got in before they reached 20 years... lol. That's my point.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The poll that had James Bond and Toad way above Banjo-Kazooie and had about 10 votes per character?

The post I was replying to was declaring them as "the most demanded character in 20 years", which sorry, there's no proof of (especially with characters like Ridley asked for since Melee, and most "big" characters asked after 64 being put in the game in Melee).

I would say Banjo only really started topping the charts of "most demanded" after Phil Spencer said he was down to clown during the ballot.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I think Hayabusa is likely and fully warranted as a Smash character, my stance on Ninja Gaiden hasn't changed. I think Nintendo wanting a Koei Tecmo character will have been the driving force behind his inclusion.

Oh, I was talking about Smash Community in general; including discords. I can't really remember who actually said those things.

I mostly remember their reasons on why they dismissed their inclusion or so.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who's talking about datamining here? Don't the words of Sakurai mean more than that?

Like I said, the day -1 and day 1 datamine tells a different story. If Banjo was in production at that point, it most likely wasn't in any full scale capacity because there was no fighter parameters at all pre-release. The fact that Banjo didn't even leak during those days also gives credence to the notion that it was way too early for anything about character 3 to even leak in the first place.

I can believe that they've started planning and pre-concepting the first post-FP character, but it feels way too early for anything concrete to leak in that regard when Smash leaks usually don't operate in such a disparate time table. Even Hero needed a few months in the oven until anything concrete on that end became locked down.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
A bit too early to judge isn't it?
We didn't see much, but it seems to be like the Fire Emblem stadium (or whatever it's called) with no real borders tbh.
If it's like KOF, it'll have some fighters behind, will probably go into a destroyed / post apocalyptic mode, but the KOF stadium is the most basic KOF stage there is.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Like I said, the day -1 and day 1 datamine tells a different story. If Banjo was in production at that point, it most likely wasn't in any full scale capacity because there was no fighter parameters at all pre-release. The fact that Banjo didn't even leak during those days also gives credence to the notion that it was way too early for anything about character 3 to even leak in the first place.

I can believe that they've started planning and pre-concepting the first post-FP character, but it feels way too early for anything concrete to leak in that regard when Smash leaks usually don't operate in such a disparate time table. Even Hero needed a few months in the oven until anything concrete on that end became locked down.
Oh, i'm not arguing against it being too early for anything from the next wave to leak; it definitely is; but I just wouldn't be surprised at all if the first post-pass fighter is being worked on in some manner, especially as Terry gets closer and closer to release.

A bit too early to judge isn't it?
First impressions for Yggdrasil and Spiral Mountain were definitely higher; that's all I'm saying (note the "so far"). There could be a gimmick that changes up the stage, but I feel like this is probably their break from three crazy stages with a ton of moving parts.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Terry gets two stages to fill in the empty black slot that'll be left on the stage selection screen.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Oh, i'm not arguing against it being too early for anything from the next wave to leak; it definitely is; but I just wouldn't be surprised at all if the first post-pass fighter is being worked on in some manner, especially as Terry gets closer and closer to release.

The trailer will be ready in time for December 12.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've always liked this part in gamingbrit's video lol (around 12:40):

Or this comment in his NG2 video:

Yeah, I've seen these videos.

*Ryu comes across a dead ninja in Hayabusa village*

Ryu: "His inability to protect his village must be haunting him even in the afterlife."

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Well no, you see, that's where the dreaded and terrifying second page button will make it's return.

Instead of a second page, they'll sell a special stage select screen magnifying glass exclusively to Nintendo Switch Online Members to help with the icons being even smaller.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the first thought from the Smash Era regulars, should Hayabusa actually be confirmed, is something along the lines of "K finally got his guy", lol.

Probably. I really hope that his moveset would be amazingly fun if he get in.

Honestly at this point, I'm more interested in seeing who the first DLC character after the Fighters Pass is than seeing who the last FP character is.

For me, it's both. I want to see the closure of Fighter Pass 1 and opening of Wave 2.

Hayabusa is overqualified. He's a Famicon/NES legend, and has critically acclaimed 3D titles as well. He has a super-recognizable design that stands out on the Smash roster, and a wealth of moveset potential. He reps a new franchise, and a new developer/publisher — one that has worked closely with Nintendo for awhile now. And can you imagine Kirby wearing his mask, lol?

Kirby with Ninja mask would be awesome. It's similar to Sheik but they could do whole head this time.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not excited for Hayabusa mainly because I don't expect this to be the kind of character they balance well lol

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
latest

0bfdb791554fcb29ee283842c2091113.jpg

King_of_fighters_XII_stadium_night_stage.jpg

KOF-XIII-Rose-Bernstein-Stadium-Stage.jpg

even if it becomes like

KOF-XIII-Rose-Bernstein-Stadium-Stage-2-The-Gate.jpg

later...

it's still pretty boring in terms of stage design.
Sure they might change it, but it's still a flat stadium.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised to find out some time ago that this track from No More Heroes received a fan arrangement (not because it was a bad track - it's just not a particularly "iconic" one, even though it's one of my personal understated favorites), but I was even more surprised to find out how much it actually sounds like it was made for Smash.

This thing is like 10 years old, there's even a comment on the video about how it sounds like it would fit perfectly in Smash (bonus points for the arranger for adding references to Killer7's Rave On into the track).

Just goes to show how perfect this game's OST would be for the game. If Trav gets in, he better get a healthy dose of arrangements.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A Smash remix of Philistine would be a hilarious accompaniment to Travis in Smash.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A Smash remix of Philistine would be a hilarious accompaniment to Travis in Smash.
It'd have to be an instrumental - or at least a sanitized version - because it has bad words in it :(
But man, I live for that Jun Fukuda remix. Dunno what they were thinking with the version US got!

Funny how this is one of those tracks which seems like it's gotten so popular it transcends the game it was from, just like Tables Turn (or rather the notorious mashup) from TW101.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd have to be an instrumental - or at least a sanitized version - because it has bad words in it :(
But man, I live for that Jun Fukuda remix. Dunno what they were thinking with the version US got!

Funny how this is one of those tracks which seems like it's gotten so popular it transcends the game it was from, just like Tables Turn (or rather the notorious mashup) from TW101.

I prefer the US version myself. I don't like the voice alteration effect.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we do get Hayabusa it'll definitely be a down note for me. I feel like DLC has sort of bounced around a bit, from a shocking new character (Joker) to an iconic classic franchise (Hero) to a fan favorite (Banjo). Then with Terry we go back to "iconic classic" and then Hayabusa is another "iconic classic" on top of that.

Like, it would feel kind of strange to me if, after all those varied choices, the last two are pretty much the same archetype (old school "basic" protagonist from a major-but-not-THAT-major Japanese publisher). I guess Hayabusa has the twist of being more of a US favorite compared to Terry, who's more for Japan/Latin America... but the fact he's straight up a ninja sort of undermines the idea of him feeling "Western" to me?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My biggest problem is that design wise Hayabusa would easily be the most boring to me.

Like make all the "Hat Ken" jokes you want fighting Trucker looking dude still stands out to me more then "literally just a ninja."

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If we do get Hayabusa it'll definitely be a down note for me. I feel like DLC has sort of bounced around a bit, from a shocking new character (Joker) to an iconic classic franchise (Hero) to a fan favorite (Banjo). Then with Terry we go back to "iconic classic" and then Hayabusa is another "iconic classic" on top of that.

Like, it would feel kind of strange to me if, after all those varied choices, the last two are pretty much the same archetype (old school "basic" protagonist from a major-but-not-THAT-major Japanese publisher). I guess Hayabusa has the twist of being more of a US favorite compared to Terry, who's more for Japan/Latin America... but the fact he's straight up a ninja sort of undermines the idea of him feeling "Western" to me?

Another way to look at it is outside of Hero, most of these characters had their heyday in one specific console generation.

Joker: PS4 (8th gen)
Banjo & Kazooie: N64 (5th gen)
Terry: Neo Geo (4th gen)
Hayabusa: Xbox (6th gen)

And Hero represents the 3rd (NES), 4th (SNES), 6th (PS2), and 8th gens (PS4).

7th gen weeps.

Last edited:

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'm totally down for Hayabusa from a gameplay standpoint. Sword Ninja sounds fun as a basic concept and from what I understand he has more tools than just that. He'll probably end up my favorite FP character other than Joker (my current main) if he has a moveset like I'm expecting.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll cop to not being entirely enthused about another realistically proportioned, humanoid sword guy even if Hayabusa is a cool character and would naturally play differently than other swordfighters (I kind of see him as Smash having its own Strider Hiryu). It's partly why I like the idea of Geno so much, since he's a cartoony and completely unrealistic action figure, and I'd be happier if the pass pulled a wider variety of character archetypes.

And if you're gonna pick one of those why not Travis Touchdown?

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
I'll cop to not being entirely enthused about another realistically proportioned, humanoid sword guy even if Hayabusa is a cool character and would naturally play differently than other swordfighters (I kind of see him as Smash having its own Strider Hiryu). It's partly why I like the idea of Geno so much, since he's a cartoony and completely unrealistic action figure, and I'd be happier if the pass pulled a wider variety of character archetypes.

Travis ain't shit compared to Hayabusa, and Izuna drop > Lightsaber wank.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest problem is that design wise Hayabusa would easily be the most boring to me.

Like make all the "Hat Ken" jokes you want fighting Trucker looking dude still stands out to me more then "literally just a ninja."
If a ninja doesn't stand out then they are doing their job as a ninja :P

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I've given up on the overwhelming majority of DLC not being normally proportioned humanoids. I've changed my focus to hoping that we at least get a couple of characters in the opposite direction. At least we got Banjo-Kazooie in season 1.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Travis ain't shit compared to Hayabusa, and Izuna drop > Lightsaber wank.

Suplexes though.

I've given up on the overwhelming majority of DLC not being normally proportioned humanoids. I've changed my focus to hoping that we at least get a couple of characters in the opposite direction. At least we got Banjo-Kazooie in season 1.

That one tweet about the "Banjo and Anime Dudes Pack" circa Terry's reveal lives again.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My brother wants Travis and he already got Terry (who he also wanted). Why are you guys on his side? He didn't even like Astral Chain.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My brother wants Travis and he already got Terry (who he also wanted). Why are you guys on his side? He didn't even like Astral Chain.
Listen, Astral Chain is my GOTY and you know I got your back on this, but as attractive as the new hotness may be, I've always gotta stick up to my bros.

tumblr_pszxziz5li1y14ijho3_250.gifv
tumblr_pszxziz5li1y14ijho4_250.gifv

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
(I don't actually mind if Travis gets in, I just want my brother to be a little antsy about it for awhile, lol.)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
For what it's worth, my brother wanted B&K and more fighting game characters

last time we talked about Smash (like last week) he said they should add Crash.

Did you strategically leave this one vague?
It's pretty obvious who he's referring too?

EDIT: Well, at least you realised that, lol.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you're curious what he thinks about Hayabusa, he's fine with him because I want him.

(As for Alis from Phantasy Star, he wants Kiryu more if we get another Sega rep.)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I write mean things about people in here, then delete it before anyone can see.

Like writing angry letters and not sending them.

Status
Not open for further replies.