• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I know SADX's sequential glitches/graphical downgrades have been heavily documented, but I can't stand looking at those original character models. Hard pass.

I'm even worse than that

i'm one of those vile creatures who unironically likes the Adventure games. Well, at least SA2; a lot of the enjoyment from SA1 is totally ironic.

Merely visiting Big's Ice Cap zone ends up with me crying from laughter. Every other level is just a fishing pond, yet they crafted this highly-elaborate stage serving no purpose other than a hidden rod upgrade. Just one of the many, many mind-boggling gaffes within.

I'm totally 100%'ing that little nugget, one day.

Also Chris Thorndyke is there and his presence ruins anything

sonicx_em_sadx.jpg

What on earth? Was this in the Steam release or something?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My biggest gripe with the boost formula was it getting rid of pretty much everyone but Sonic.

Like they didn't even use Blaze despite the fact she'd work perfectly.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean hey, at least modding can help in fixing Sonic Adventure!

steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: BetterSADX

BetterSADX is an easy to install / automated patch that transforms the Steam version of Sonic Adventure DX into an enhanced version with many more features added by the community over the last several

EDIT: Gosh darn it.

The Adventure gameplay is more sustainable overall for Sonic Team. They can make less level for more playtime in comparison to the boost formula, while still making Sonic fast.

Unleashed, Colors and Generations were fun games but I'm looking forward to something new by now after how bad Forces was, even if that is a return to the Adventure formula.

But you know Sega would actually think "well we need to bring back Big too" and the whole thing goes to pot.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
SA2's speed levels are still the GOAT and the fact that my enjoyment of SA2 can boil down to essentially 1/3 of the game speaks to their quality. I would replay them all the time.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know SADX's sequential glitches/graphical downgrades have been heavily documented, but I can't stand looking at those original character models. Hard pass.

Merely visiting Big's Ice Cap zone ends up with me crying from laughter. Every other level is just a fishing pond, yet they crafted this highly-elaborate stage serving no purpose other than a hidden rod upgrade. Just one of the many, many mind-boggling gaffes within.

I'm totally 100%'ing that little nugget, one day.

What on earth? Was this in the Steam release or something?

DX added that sign and some Cream the Rabbit cameos.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
It's been stuck in the game since the GameCube version of DX; in the Mission Mode.
It's in every version of SADX.
It was in the GameCube release since it came out around the same time, in "Mission Mode", I think? I dunno if it's in the Steam version
DX added that sign and some Cream the Rabbit cameos.

I have zero memory of this -- no idea how this slipped past me. Huh!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
My biggest gripe with the boost formula was it getting rid of pretty much everyone but Sonic.

Like they didn't even use Blaze despite the fact she'd work perfectly.
Shadow and Blaze were always good fits for the boost formula, and I was surprised that it took them until Forces to capitalise on the former.

I like Treasure Hunting sue me.

(Ok Mad Space sucks but I like everything else.)
I can enjoy them, but they have a fatal flaw: if they had the SA1 radar (actively showing all three Emerald Pieces at once), they would be legitimately fun.

Besides Mad Space.

The Mech stages though? They made them control worse than Gamma did, so I immediately disliked them.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
The radar change in SA2 was really bad. I didn't mind the treasure hunting levels in SA1 where the radar was able to show you how close you were to all three emerald shards at once.

Sucks because I actually like the layout/aesthetic/music of most of the treasure hunting levels in SA2 but they're fucking awful to play if you get RNG screwed with the shard locations.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know what? This conversation made me want to play SA2.

So I am, lol.

That's the end of the story.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Those SA2 gem hunt stages can eat ass. Holy Christ, they were the worst part of the game.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy Gadget is the worst stage in Sonic history.

So many game overs on this one section. So many times listening to the same voice lines again and again.

(By the way, what is Sonic throwing? How is he killing those enemies?)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Those SA2 gem hunt stages can eat ass. Holy Christ, they were the worst part of the game.
The levels (besides Mad Space) are well designed, they just suffer because they fucked up the emerald radar.

I wish they'd port the Adventure games to modern consoles. I'd buy them day 1 on Switch.

Maybe I should just download the PS3 version and say fuck it.
I'd love a Switch port (come on guys, we only made the Top 20 in that poll Sega did?!), but I don't know if I would be able to say goodbye to all of the QoL fixes the PC versions have allowed for.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Adventures games are the only Sonic games I actually like. I've tried to play the Genesis ones so many times but they just feel wrong to me.

Like, the Adventure games also feel wrong, but it's a wrong I understand.

Aug 12, 2019
But even back then, Corrin was primarily male (something that wasn't rectified in Ultimate despite everyone else changing course), & it took the Smash Ballot for us to get Bayonetta. And even then, she remains the only female third-party character (besides Kazooie, but she's the secondary part of a duo). Do I expect Smash to get the percentage up to 30% in Ultimate's life-span, sadly no. But as I've said before, the least they can do is try to improve things at a reasonable pace. While Smash isn't a traditional fighting game, it's still leading the pack in sales. And by virtue, it should lead by example. Because of its success, I expect better from the series. And as you said, there are popular characters who happen to be women, & we aren't even getting them. And there's still the fact that we'll likely see a Fighters Pass that's 100% comprised of primarily guys, where the only female character is the secondary part of a duo. Even putting percentages aside, that looks bad. In Ultimate's base roster, we only have 4 new characters who are primarily female. But two of them are echoes (Dark Samus, who's debatable to begin with, & Daisy) & one is a semi-clone (Isabelle). To dismiss the situation out of hand is honestly disappointing. I understand your desire to be realistic, but we won't see them improve if we don't ask them to do better. Because right now, they aren't. And it's disappointing because Sakurai has expressed awareness of the problem in the past during the Wii U/3DS days.

As for your numbers, it's not just about the number of women, it's about the number relative to the size of the roster. It's why I structured the female fighters percentage thread the way that I did. To use ARMS for example, 6 women isn't that great on paper, but 6 out of 15 character is pretty damn good. Likewise, Street Fighter V has 13 ladies (currently) out of 38 characters overall, which is respectable. Roster sizes vary from game to game, so it's hard to just compare the number of women in each game, hence the use of percentages. This is where the problem lies for Smash. 15 ladies sounds good on paper, but 15 out of 81 isn't.

There's considerable evidence that Bayonetta was never the ballot winner, data for her based upon Zero Suit Samus was in the game 3 days after the ballot started for crying out loud, and in less that's an utterly insane coincidence that they started work on a Zero Suit Samus based fighter and it turned into Bayonetta, she was likely chosen well before hand and Nintendo either got lucky or just blatantly lied. She's in kind of a weird situation TBH.

I mean you can try to improve things, but you consistently shoot down people calling out the fact that Smash doesn't behave like other fighting games in almost any facet of its identity and I think a number of people disagree with you there that it needs to somehow "lead by example." Smash is classified as a fighting game, but it shares very little in common with them. It should be treated differently because it is fundamentally different and playing by an entirely different set of rules as a fighting game including pre-existing characters. Smash doesn't really lead anything of the fighting game genre because it's barely one to begin with and largely operates in its own niche. Yes, it appears at major fighting game tournaments, but one look at Smash clearly indicates that wealth of difference between the types of games being played. This is one of the reasons I don't get comparing it against other fighting games. I mean, hell, look at how many characters don't have defined genders or are genderless in Smash. That exists literally nowhere else in fighting games outside of a couple insane exceptions such as Blitztank in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle lol. Similarly, few games make alternate costumes as special and fundamentally unique in changing fighters as Smash, so I really do think deserve more credit for their place in the roster.

I understand that it's not about the number of women, but I'm criticizing the reliance on percentages. Percentages are less meaningful when you have such small numbers and any change in value can seriously effect the percentage. A single female fighter in Smash can only raise the percentage in Ultimate by 1% and individual improvements are more devalued because of the sheer scope of fighters. 30% sounds really damn good on paper too (at least in the context of fighting game female percentages), but I'd argue the number itself is the less impressive part when you get something like 6 women total out of minor roster of 15 characters produced in the modern era. There's so much more context to that percentage that should be factored in as well. Smash has so many limiting factors against including women including a focus on a grand total of 30+ years of gaming history with very little of that yielding substantially important female characters, let alone characters of color and other minority status.

And you didn't even touch my point in regards to the sexualization of many of those fighters in other titles, which again, comes down to all that important point of context for your percentages. Is a 30% roster that sexualizes a ton of its female fighters better than Smash's 20% where the worst that really exists is Palutena's pole dancing taunt, some frames on a few of Zero Suit Samus' moves that are logistically impossible to probably emphasize her boobs, and a fairly censored and toned down Bayonetta (who is her own thing to dissect...)? I'm not trying to strawman you here, I'm just bringing up the point that I feel like Smash deserves more credit for what it has done than I think your almost absolute focus on the percentage issue allows for, and that it also lets the quality of female representations get away from you a bit. 30% just feels like this really arbitrary number to fixate on in my mind when I start dissecting what the number actually means.

I'm not trying to discredit any ideas of increased representation in Smash, I just think it's a more complex topic of discussion that has to be examined in terms of what an "acceptable percentage" means and if such a thing even really works as the main goal. I just think you'd have way more success if you pivoted more towards, "Hey these are some really cool female characters that make a whole lot of sense in Smash (without changing Sakurai's vision for the series) and we should support them because they're great on their own merits and it's always cool to see more strong and important female characters in Smash." I know that's partially what you're doing, but trying to apply the percentages and in some ways going against the very foundations of Smash and Sakurai's own artistic authorship of the game just has always honestly struck me as the wrong approach.

It's a damn shame many people have turned on Tracer given recent events though (I'm not defending Activision Blizzard (and never was), she's just a really damn cool (and the rare LGBTQ+!) character that I would love to see in Smash alongside Overwatch content outside of the whole current situation).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
People are still claiming Bayonetta didn't win the ballot halfway through the Ultimate Fighters Pass releases.

Come on.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
People are still claiming Bayonetta didn't win the ballot halfway through the Ultimate Fighters Pass releases.

Come on.

Sakurai said she won among "realizable candidates."

It's not a debate people like to have, but having data in the game that early doesn't tell us it's as straightforward as it seems.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai said she won among "realizable candidates."

It's not a debate people like to have, but having data in the game that early doesn't tell us it's as straightforward as it seems.
Won among realizable candidates, meaning that ultimately, she won, regardless of Goku or Geno or whoever else. It's not even worth the asterisk people want to shriek at every time the ballot gets brought up.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won among realizable candidates, meaning that ultimately, she won, regardless of Goku or Geno or whoever else. It's not even worth the asterisk people want to shriek at every time the ballot gets brought up.

Conversely, you don't need to get antsy every time someone doubts the ballot. She's in the game, Nintendo and Sakurai view her as a deserving character to be in Smash, and nothing's going to change that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

If you believe that Bayonetta was decided on, negotiated, and had early data worked on in essentially less than two weeks of the ballot launching, then you're free to think so. Having skepticism is not saying she's bad or wrong or shouldn't be in the game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Didn't Sakurai imply that Snake was above Bayonetta in that recent Famitsu compilation?

"Realisable" is vague, but it really doesn't matter; she won, and i'm glad that she did because I wanted her in. No need for anyone on either side to get worked up over a four year-old poll.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There's considerable evidence that Bayonetta was never the ballot winner, data for her based upon Zero Suit Samus was in the game 3 days after the ballot started for crying out loud, and in less that's an utterly insane coincidence that they started work on a Zero Suit Samus based fighter and it turned into Bayonetta, she was likely chosen well before hand and Nintendo either got lucky or just blatantly lied. She's in kind of a weird situation TBH.

I mean you can try to improve things, but you consistently shoot down people calling out the fact that Smash doesn't behave like other fighting games in almost any facet of its identity and I think a number of people disagree with you there that it needs to somehow "lead by example." Smash is classified as a fighting game, but it shares very little in common with them. It should be treated differently because it is fundamentally different and playing by an entirely different set of rules as a fighting game including pre-existing characters. Smash doesn't really lead anything of the fighting game genre because it's barely one to begin with and largely operates in its own niche. Yes, it appears at major fighting game tournaments, but one look at Smash clearly indicates that wealth of difference between the types of games being played. This is one of the reasons I don't get comparing it against other fighting games. I mean, hell, look at how many characters don't have defined genders or are genderless in Smash. That exists literally nowhere else in fighting games outside of a couple insane exceptions such as Blitztank in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle lol. Similarly, few games make alternate costumes as special and fundamentally unique in changing fighters as Smash, so I really do think deserve more credit for their place in the roster.

I understand that it's not about the number of women, but I'm criticizing the reliance on percentages. Percentages are less meaningful when you have such small numbers and any change in value can seriously effect the percentage. A single female fighter in Smash can only raise the percentage in Ultimate by 1% and individual improvements are more devalued because of the sheer scope of fighters. 30% sounds really damn good on paper too (at least in the context of fighting game female percentages), but I'd argue the number itself is the less impressive part when you get something like 6 women total out of minor roster of 15 characters produced in the modern era. There's so much more context to that percentage that should be factored in as well. Smash has so many limiting factors against including women including a focus on a grand total of 30+ years of gaming history with very little of that yielding substantially important female characters, let alone characters of color and other minority status.

And you didn't even touch my point in regards to the sexualization of many of those fighters in other titles, which again, comes down to all that important point of context for your percentages. Is a 30% roster that sexualizes a ton of its female fighters better than Smash's 20% where the worst that really exists is Palutena's pole dancing taunt, some frames on a few of Zero Suit Samus' moves that are logistically impossible to probably emphasize her boobs, and a fairly censored and toned down Bayonetta (who is her own thing to dissect...)? I'm not trying to strawman you here, I'm just bringing up the point that I feel like Smash deserves more credit for what it has done than I think your almost absolute focus on the percentage issue allows for, and that it also lets the quality of female representations get away from you a bit. 30% just feels like this really arbitrary number to fixate on in my mind when I start dissecting what the number actually means.

I'm not trying to discredit any ideas of increased representation in Smash, I just think it's a more complex topic of discussion that has to be examined in terms of what an "acceptable percentage" means and if such a thing even really works as the main goal. I just think you'd have way more success if you pivoted more towards, "Hey these are some really cool female characters that make a whole lot of sense in Smash (without changing Sakurai's vision for the series) and we should support them because they're great on their own merits and it's always cool to see more strong and important female characters in Smash." I know that's partially what you're doing, but trying to apply the percentages and in some ways going against the very foundations of Smash and Sakurai's own artistic authorship of the game just has always honestly struck me as the wrong approach.

It's a damn shame many people have turned on Tracer given recent events though (I'm not defending Activision Blizzard (and never was), she's just a really damn cool (and the rare LGBTQ+!) character that I would love to see in Smash alongside Overwatch content outside of the whole current situation).
The problem is that as time goes on, Sakurai's vision is a very restrictive one in an industry whose progress in terms of representation is too slow. In cases like this, being more proactive with the options that do exist would be appreciated. To stick to your guns regardless of the problems that arise is pure stubbornness, something that Sakurai has demonstrated a few times (see the aforementioned example with Corrin). Of course, there are iconic women in gaming that should be utilized. But at the same time, we should also look towards characters who may not necessarily be the faces of their IPs. Like other fighting game developers, Sakurai needs to demonstrate a bit more flexibility. Likewise, if Smash is gonna stand with other fighting games at events like EVO, it's gonna be compared to its co-stars. That can't be avoided, & it'll be held to certain standards. Smash doesn't get a free pass because it's a different breed of fighting game, especially when it comes to representation.

And either way you slice it, Bayonetta won among the realizable candidates, as in the others couldn't get in for one reason or another.

Last edited:

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
How could y'all forget...

maxresdefault.jpg

(I know they were DLC but still)

I guess it's because, unlike K. Rool/Ridley/Belmonts, Sakurai didn't cite the ballot as the reason for Banjo's inclusion. By the sound of things, he knew they were always hugely requested, it's just that it wasn't really possible until Nintendo and Microsoft got on better terms.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the ballot (and character requests in general) is probably the reason "echo fighters" is a thing in the first place. We wouldn't have gotten characters like Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus if they weren't highly requested. Lucina and Dark Pit would have come back as ordinary clones with no special label attached.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the ballot (and character requests in general) is probably the reason "echo fighters" is a thing in the first place. We wouldn't have gotten characters like Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus if they weren't highly requested. Lucina and Dark Pit would have come back as ordinary clones with no special label attached.

Echo fighters would definitely have happened, but we might have gotten some different characters. They needed to pad out the newcomer roster of the base game. "Echo fighters" were a marketing term that made them more palatable to consumers.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I guess it's because, unlike K. Rool/Ridley/Belmonts, Sakurai didn't cite the ballot as the reason for Banjo's inclusion. By the sound of things, he knew they were always hugely requested, it's just that it wasn't really possible until Nintendo and Microsoft got on better terms.

Here's the exact quote:

This was another fighter that I received a lot of requests for – mostly from overseas. That being said, King K. Rool and Ridley were pretty fervently requested too.

The fact that he mentions Ridley and K. Rool in the same breath makes me wonder how high each of those 3 placed.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm glad that my four ballot votes single-handedly got us Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie as fighters, & Knuckles as an Assist Trophy.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I still wonder if the ballot had anything to do with Cloud's inclusion.

Sakurai did say people were asking for a FF character and that Cloud was the most popular choice.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about Square's history makes me think they could negotiate on something like this in <2 weeks.
Who says the placeholder meant they for sure had Cloud negotiated, though?

Like I don't necessarily think he was a ballot pick, but hypothetically I can see just putting the placeholder there while they negotiate. He wanted Cloud, he puts a Cloud placeholder, is my thought process. Its not like the placeholders are hard to change, I imagine.

Aug 12, 2019

Come on.

I love Bayonetta in Smash, but her circumstances are suspicious as shit. https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/07/03/bayo106/. The base code for her character was in the game 2 weeks after the ballot started. So first off, they would have had to ignore the rest of the entire ballot and just go with a character that performed well at the beginning if we assume that "winning" the ballot was a completely true comment. But the problem is, this is just the first known appearance of the data, not the actual origins of the data that would lead to Bayonetta, so she would have had to have been worked on prior to this update going live. Most updates are pushed out some time after they have been completed as opposed to the exact moment they are, so you can drop a few more days off of that tally. Which is even more of the actual run time of the ballot ignored. The poll was open until October 3rd, 2015. Data for Bayonetta was in the code as far back as June.

Not to mention, you wouldn't start work on a character unless you knew you had the license. That absolutely has to be part one of any deal, and it's not like Sega or Platinum would realistically need any proof of concept to incorporate her since Nintendo was funding her at the time, and that would be the only explanation for that if they didn't have a license. At a bare minimum, by the time Bayonetta's code appeared in the data, she had to be licensed out and a concept established that required her being built off of Zero Suit Samus as the base. Which pushes the date of the decision to include her back even further overall.

Either Nintendo ignored the overwhelming majority of their data in favor of just going with a character that performed well in the beginning and was "realizable" (which has so much wiggle room it's not even funny), or they had always intended for her to be DLC and she just worked out well enough for them. There's not really alternatives here to be honest. And again, I say this as a massive Bayonetta fan so it's not from some long term vendetta against her inclusion like some people.

The problem is that as time goes on, Sakurai's vision is a very restrictive one in an industry whose progress in terms of representation is too slow. In cases like this, being more proactive with the options that do exist would be appreciated. To stick to your guns regardless of the problems that arise is pure stubbornness, something that Sakurai has demonstrated a few times (see the aforementioned example with Corrin). Of course, there are iconic women in gaming that should be utilized. But at the same time, we should also look towards characters who may not necessarily be the faces of their IPs. Like other fighting game developers, Sakurai needs to demonstrate a bit more flexibility.

And either way you slice it, Bayonetta won among the realizable candidates, as in the others couldn't get in for one reason or another.

See above for Bayonetta.

Sakurai has a specific vision for Smash that operates as a crossover of major gaming IPs. I can't fault anyone for that or call that vision restrictive when he's achieving stuff no other developer on the planet can really come close to. To a lot of people, what you're describing as a problem is not one. That's a big issue. I've argued about just pushing for basic meaningful representation in the form of someone like Lara Croft and been shot down before. People are more interested in supporting their favorite characters than representation, and Smash is the breeding ground for that attitude. It's not stubbornness that leads Sakurai to including, it's a combination of business (companies have their preferences and mascots that represent them best in their minds, like Terry over other female options) and pleasing the most fans/people. Elma vs Rex is the classic example. People push for Elma as "the better option" for representation purposes, but Xenoblade Chronicles X is kind of the odd duck out for a lot of people and a great deal of people prefer Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its characters. Rex is the one who polls super well, making it much less likely that Elma will get picked (Shame in my mind, but that's on the community). You keep claiming Sakurai needs to be more flexible "like other fighting games," but that doesn't work the same way. Smash cannot create new fighters. A brand new Street Fighter character of color or of another gender is inherently equal to a white one in the creation process, so there's very little lost outside of some whiny brats possibly complaining about inclusion...

But when you start talking Terry vs. Nakoruru, or a third party character vs. a significantly more niche first party? There's tons of weight attributed to them that fundamentally changes what you're including and why. Smash's entire premise is inflexible by nature of that. There are some good options, but a great deal of them have certain opportunity costs too that are more likely to upset people (people pissed that X or Y came before Z) or be less in the interest of the involved parties (Square Enix likely prefers that Dragon Quest be in Smash over Tomb Raider given what each means to them). Again, I keep coming back to this fact that I think treating Smash like other fighting games is the wrong call. And I just haven't seen a convincing argument from you on this point yet as to why Smash should be treated along the same standards (or even higher it seems) when it seems to be a largely unique entity from those titles.

You're way too fixated on Corrin's alt. situation though. This isn't malice or stubbornness, it's just how Corrin was in Smash for Wii U, and was super easy to port over more than likely. It's not like Sakurai didn't have a million other things to keep track of and work on for the game, and I don't imagine he gave a second of thought to the idea that people would be upset about which alt. was the primary one (and I doubt he fundamentally treats them differently like you do to begin with).

Status
Not open for further replies.