• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You guys are assuming Nintendo actually cares enough about the Blizz controversy to want to pull out on a character that if they were in already got their licencing and had preliminary work done for a character that's probably not going to be out on Spring 2020 at the earliest and that's assuming they're the first character.

There's plenty of time for Nintendo to be prepared and can at least say the work started to be done before the controversy even started. They have no reason to care if it's actually happening.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are assuming Nintendo actually cares enough about the Blizz controversy to want to pull out on a character that if they were in already got their licencing and had preliminary work done for a character that's probably not going to be out on Spring 2020 at the earliest and that's assuming they're the first character.

There's plenty of time for Nintendo to be prepared and can at least say the work started to be done before the controversy even started. They have no reason to care if it's actually happening.
It would be a PR disaster.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I'm saying they wouldn't even bother negotiating right now for future characters.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying they wouldn't even bother negotiating right now for future characters.
Oh yeah I agree a Blizzard character's chances are possibly dead for the next few years, which to be honest is probably all that matters for Ult.

I feel like all avenues Blizz could take to make amends would only just be step 1 to get back into the communities' good graces.

Like A Blizz that formally apologizes and reinstates Blitzchung and the commentators would only band aid the wound they made. After that it's gonna take a long time for them to get anywhere close to their old reputation.

I think even if they were to do a complete 180 and start supporting the Hong Kong protests most people will still probably not forgive them anyway.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My 62 year old dad who doesn't give a flying fuck about video games heard about the Blizzard situation, that should give you an idea of what kind of shitshow a Blizzard character in Smash would be.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

It's all speculation since we don't even know that Blizzard had a character coming to Smash in the first place, but it doesn't sound like Nintendo is having a good time from all this backlash either:

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I think you're overestimating how angry people would be at Nintendo for doing that. Especially around 5 months from now.
Pretty much.

Don't really think Smash biz is all that deep or complex. If Nintendo wants to add in a Blizzard character to establish a good relationship with them and promote OW on Switch or w/e they're gonna go through with it. Cause by the time any of that even gets announced in 2020 or 2021 this will have settled down.

I mean, I'm fairly sure OW isn't gonna drop off the face of the earth suddenly.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hayabusa's invitation is going to be tied to a kunai.
IllGlisteningEmeraldtreeskink-size_restricted.gif
Thrown by a Nintendo Ninja of course.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do think Nintendo would care about Blizzard's decisions? Nintendo gets their components from cheap slave labour, what's this going to do?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why do think Nintendo would care about Blizzard's decisions? Nintendo gets their components from cheap slave labour, what's this going to do?
This is a pretty unique situation but this is all on Blizzard themselves to fix.

The fact of the matter is Blizzard made themselves immensely toxic because of this whole situation. I do see the merit in questioning if there would be massive backlash to a Blizz character making it in but I don't think it would matter enough for Nintendo to cancel plans.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think they're going to do a big run back on this situation. At some point it's not going to be worth it and there would be a concern that if Blizz gets banned in China through other means and all they have is their burned reputation everywhere else in the world.

I don't imagine they'll go to straight up supporting the Hong Kong protests but I can see reinstating Blitzchung and the commentators to comeback on their own merits and admitting that the decision was made to expand their reach in the global market and reexamining their policy on "political" stances even if it's something as technical as no longer doing interviews and making sure to disclaim that whatever views their players have is their own and they won't discriminate against any of it.

It's not going to be enough to get people to stop being mad at them but I feel like that would do something to douse the flames a bit and work on improving their image to a less toxic one which I imagine is all Blizzard would care to do. Enough to not have the conversation just be about how they hate Human Rights.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I just want Blizzcon to be an absolute shitshow. But it probably will be mild because it's diehard fans who spent hundreds of dollars to attend, they aren't going to disrupt anything.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just want Blizzcon to be an absolute shitshow. But it probably will be mild because it's diehard fans who spent hundreds of dollars to attend, they aren't going to disrupt anythng.
To be fair those fans also came up and when doing a QandA for Diablo Immortal they straight up asked if it was a late april fools joke and managed to agitate the QA guys that at some point a guy on stage condescendingly asked if they didn't have phones.

I think Blizzcon is going to be filled with putting Blizzard people on the spot on the China issue and making sure this Blizzcon isn't going to be their big comeback after how badly 2018 was.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Oh, you'd need to be a fool to think Blizzcon will go over smoothly this year.

I'm expecting Q&A sessions to be cancelled, at the very least.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You know it's bad when Chosen Undead is the most believable character in a leak.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Just ignore Sabi at this point. It's clear that they're thriving off the attention and its just best to move on.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I don't even think Maxwell is the least likely character there, but he sure is close.

There is no possible way that Claire is the sole Resident Evil rep. If Sakurai went by popularity, it'd be Leon. If he wants to include a female fighter, it'll be Jill. If he wants to be wrong, he'd make it Chris. Claire only gets included if they pull a Hero and include her alongside the aforementioned three characters.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a scenario where Fighters Pass 2 consists of Jonesy, Gran, Tracer, Byleth, and Toy Link. This place would explode.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine a scenario where Fighters Pass 2 consists of Jonesy, Gran, Tracer, Byleth, and Toy Link. This place would explode.
What's funny is that barring a Xenoblade 2 character not being here I would be happy with this selection.

Having 2 female characters would actually be an upgrade to what Pass 1 offers currently in terms of representation. Actually 3 if they use all the default skins for Jonesy

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is that barring a Xenoblade 2 character not being here I would be happy with this selection.

Having 2 female characters would actually be an upgrade to what Pass 1 offers currently in terms of representation. Actually 3 if they use all the default skins for Jonesy
Male Byleth is the default in my scenario just to make it slightly more irksome for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.