• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is interesting. Has this been talked about?
Some users on Smashboards are noting the usage of a kanji in Sakurai's tweet... namely "忍", which means ninja.

Now, this might seen like a coincidence, but SmashBoards' Ayumi Tachibana talked a bit more about it here, here, and here. (copy-pasted quotes below for convenience)
Ayumi Tachibana said:
Sakurai used kanji 忍 which means ninja.
The grammar isn't off but still sounds weird and pretty distinctive in that context. You don't normally use this verb.
Ayumi Tachibana said:
The part "I had endured" correspond to the kanji 忍. The translation should be "I was hiding/sneaking" in that context.
Ayumi Tachibana said:
SKX31 said:
If that's the case then that not only helps Hayabusa, but also any character whose main job is sneaking. Tracer (really), Ezio / AC rep, etc.

It's a bit to vague to call one way or the other IMHO.
I don't think so because the kanji 忍 has a specific meaning which is ninja.
Sakurai used verb 忍んでいた, but this a bit unusual choice of word when you can use more normal verbs such as 潜んでいた or 隠れていた like he did in the How to Use Banjo video where he pulled out Snake's amiibo who was hiding in a bush. You only use verb 忍ぶ when you imply something ninja-like situation or just trying to sound edgy.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Using a licensed game by Sega as evidence of how Nintendo ranks their characters is a pretty weird observation.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Are some people seriously going with the "default isn't female so it's not a female character" rhetoric for Byleth? Come on now

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RE: Overwatch, it is pretty obvious Nintendo is only distancing themselves due to the current controversy. We don't know if there will be longterm consequences, but prior to this they were a big supporter of the game.

It was the opener in a Direct, had a launch event planned, had big promotion on their website's homepage. I'm sure we would've seen them promoting it on social media like Twitter and YouTube had this not happened. (Of course I don't mind, Blizzard can eat this one.)

If they already made a deal for Tracer as DLC though, that's gonna be difficult for them. That said I wouldn't think too highly of her chances just because Nintendo was eager about this port.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai heard the complaints and in the next patch Wendy Koopa will be made the default.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bouncing off of the post I made the other day about Streets of Rage and Blaze, I wanna provide a list of music. I've decided to go for 11 tracks same as Banjo-Kazooie, as Sega seems to be fairly generous in the use of their shit, unlike Square, so I believe there'll be a mix between remixes and originals. Can't say which one will be which overall, but hey.
I picked 5 songs each for 1 and 2, and will stick with just with one from SoR3 cause that one's a bit of an oddball musically, so I picked the one I consider the best.

SoR1:
Character Select
Fighting in the Street
Attack of the Barbarian (maybe with Big Boss mixed in)
Dilapidated Town
Violent Breathing

SoR2:
Go Straight (this one would be in 100% because it was used for Axel in Project X Zone 2)
In the Bar
Dreamer
Back to the Industry
Max Man

SoR3 - Shinobi Reverse

And of course the victory ditty would be this!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Japan loves Dimitri. Make it happen Sakurai/Nintendo.

Dimitri for Smash.

images

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Wanna know what's an argument I haven't seen in a while?

Does Shiek count as a female fighter?

He's a male you cowards, Zelda wouldn't use magic to change her race and eye color but then also improvise an uncomfortable binder. Bill Trinen doesn't know what he's talking about.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017

He's a male you cowards, Zelda wouldn't use magic to change her race and eye color but then also improvise an uncomfortable binder. Bill Trinen doesn't know what he's talking about.
I don't think this solves the puzzle

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Sheik is referred to as female in basically every other source outside of OoT. The only Sheik that was the OoT design in Smash was Melee's, where she also was referred to as female. I would say that you can make a case for OoT Sheik being male, but the other incarnations that were explicitly created for Smash - and Hyrule Warriors - are female, and her physique also is more feminized as a result.

Funnily enough we're back to it being ambiguous with Ultimate Sheik, because she's based on the costume from BotW, and also has a more masculine looking chest.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I'm like 90% certain Sheik's initial backstory in OoT was meant to be a buncha bullshit made up by Zelda and Impa as part of the disguise.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Sheik is referred to as female in basically every other source outside of OoT. The only Sheik that was the OoT design in Smash was Melee's, where she also was referred to as female. I would say that you can make a case for OoT Sheik being male, but the other incarnations that were explicitly created for Smash - and Hyrule Warriors - are female, and her physique also is more feminized as a result.
The Hyrule Historia also refers to Shiek as male, but sure fair enough. Hyrule Warriors in particular is clearly a female design, I won't argue there.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Dmitri would be OP as fuck, that boy's STR growth is ridiculous. He'd hit like Hero crits but all the time

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Hyrule Historia also refers to Shiek as male, but sure fair enough. Hyrule Warriors in particular is clearly a female design, I won't argue there.

I guess you could say that just like Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf), Sheik - if they appear - are incarnations, that can be either gender. Since the design is deliberately androgynous, I think you certainly can easily argue that it's something that is purposely kept vague both in-universe and within our world, though since Sheik is a disguise for Zelda, in the end, they will always be referred to as female - under the hood, after all, it's still Zelda, whether she magicked her tits away or used a binder.

That kind of makes me want a Zelda game where part of the plot revolves around Zelda exploring her gender identity by using Sheik as her alter ego, one where she can live her (maybe desired?) life as a man.
Nintendo as is would obviously mess it up, but imagine a team of trans writers and designers getting to do this.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was considering buying the virtual ticket because I like the art panels they have, but this year I already was on the fence because I wasn't fond of the virtual goodies they had. This continued controversy sealed the deal for me tho, I ain't gonna give money to Blizz. I'm sure they can find some PPC bootlickers to give them theirs.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not China that influenced that decision either, I'm sure.
I'd imagine so. These guys did it with the intention to call Blizzard on their hypocracy and show support to Blitzchung and support the protests.

Barring reinstating Blitzchung there wasn't anyway for Blizzard to win here. If they didn't punish them then the punishement on Blitzchung was insanely hypocritical and if they did then it further Blizz's new anti human rights image. If anything the team more or less got exactly what they wanted

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
This would be unironically good.

I am not a Fire Emblem hater, I loved Robin and Lucina, but I think 5 Fire Emblem characters from one game might be pushing it. Also, after Corrin, I'm kind of meh on the concept of the default version of avatar characters. Edelgard deserves it the most. We need a Fire Emblem "villain" playable.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I've got to admit, if it does end up happening, most of my Ninja Gaiden experience is with the 2004 game, but I imagine Sakurai is probably going to focus more on the NES games (with a few '04 and DOA moves for good measure). As for the song list, what would be the obvious picks for music from the original games?

The one song I do know off the top of my head is:

Which has so much potential for a new Smash remix.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd imagine so. These guys did it with the intention to call Blizzard on their hypocracy and show support to Blitzchung and support the protests.

Barring reinstating Blitzchung there wasn't anyway for Blizzard to win here. If they didn't punish them then the punishement on Blitzchung was insanely hypocritical and if they did then it further Blizz's new anti human rights image. If anything the team more or less got exactly what they wanted

I was being sarcastic and referencing the statement released by Blizzard in which they said that Blitzchung's ban had nothing to do with China.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I've got to admit, if it does end up happening, most of my Ninja Gaiden experience is with the 2004 game, but I imagine Sakurai is probably going to focus more on the NES games (with a few '04 and DOA moves for good measure). As for the song list, what would be the obvious picks for music from the original games?

The one song I do know off the top of my head is:

Which has so much potential for a new Smash remix.

I can almost guarantee the 2004 black costume with white headpiece is going to be the default. He'll definitely have a throwback NES costume though. As for moveset, besides projectiles, there's not a lot to pull from the NES, I imagine nearly all of his sword related attacks will be pulled from the 2004 game and you best believe Izuna Drop is going to be his up throw.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not a Fire Emblem hater, I loved Robin and Lucina, but I think 5 Fire Emblem characters from one game might be pushing it. Also, after Corrin, I'm kind of meh on the concept of the default version of avatar characters. Edelgard deserves it the most. We need a Fire Emblem "villain" playable.
I wasn't entirely serious, but those are all good characters so I wouldn't be mad. I would give it to Edelgard or Claude though.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Oh no, Blizzard dug themselves deeper.

When's that apology supposed to come again? Kinda making it harder on themselves if they were really going to do anything, no?

Nintendo's entire business revolves around Smash so this must be a sign.
Daemon X Machina's five Direct spotlights were all leading up to four spirits in Smash!

It all makes sense now!

Status
Not open for further replies.