• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
If they pick Geno then that just means he was the character they wanted. The others listed probably never had a chance to begin with.
I doubt it? There's a lot of consideration behind the scenes regarding which character to choose, we've already seen it with Incineroar/Decideye and snake for smash 4 to name a few. Sakurai/Nintendo probably goes through many rounds of discussion before deciding on a character, that doesn't mean the rest weren't taken seriously either.
Anyway i'm of the opinion that if Geno was such a high priority pick then Sakurai would have picked him over Cloud/Hero. The latter 2 weren't even taken seriously prior to their reveals/leaks.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it? There's a lot of consideration behind the scenes regarding which character to choose, we've already seen it with Incineroar/Decideye and snake for smash 4 to name a few. Sakurai/Nintendo probably goes through many rounds of discussion before deciding on a character, that doesn't mean the rest weren't taken seriously either.
Anyway i'm of the opinion that if Geno was such a high priority pick then Sakurai would have picked him over Cloud/Hero.

Geno has a cult fandom in Smash that so far led to a Mii costume and an interview where Sakurai expressed an interest in the character. That's not nothing but it's pretty small potatoes compared to the two biggest JRPG series in the world.

I just don't think there's nearly as much demand for 2B or Crono as there is Geno.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Anyway i'm of the opinion that if Geno was such a high priority pick then Sakurai would have picked him over Cloud/Hero. The latter 2 weren't even taken seriously prior to their reveals/leaks.

Geno is in an odd place because of his being owned by SE. He'd likely be playable if he was Nintendo owned.

I came to the unfounded conclusion it's probably licensing costs being too high to not match expected sales and development costs.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Geno has a cult fandom in Smash that so far led to a Mii costume and an interview where Sakurai expressed an interest in the character. That's not nothing but it's pretty small potatoes compared to the two biggest JRPG series in the world.

I just don't think there's nearly as much demand for 2B or Crono as there is Geno.
I mean, I don't deny that Geno has a following + sakurai's interest - it's why he still persists in discussion to this day. But its not like Square has run out of characters either, there's a lot of other characters with bigger credentials and general popularity than him. I can't see how his smash-specific popularity can triumph over that of a 2B/Lara/Sora reveal.

Geno is in an odd place because of his being owned by SE. He'd likely be playable if he was Nintendo owned.

I came to the unfounded conclusion it's probably licensing costs being too high to not match expected sales and development costs.
Funny thing is I don't even think SQ would be that difficult if Nintendo suddenly requested for a character that they had zero intention of using again in the foreseeable future. He "might" not be as sellable as some of SE's other properties but i'm just a rando on the internet so what do I know

tbh any speculation now seems small time after they got in, like where do you even go from here
I think you answered your question the other day, lol

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Chun Li — first playable female fighter in any fighting series — iconic moveset — should've been in already

I'd really like another character from the Sonic franchise... Dr. Eggman (echo of Bowser Jr)... Knuckles already has a cool move set as an assist trophy, just wish I could play him... Amy Rose (floatier Sonic with Dede's hammer)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Your suggested trinity of Sora MC and Crash

Those would definitely bring the heat, I guess I just think from a Nintendo fan's perspective the sentimental feeling wouldn't be quite as strong as having two long lost classic Nintendo characters coming home for the first time in over a decade. Don't get me wrong, any of those 3 would cause internet meltdowns, but I think there is a specific significance to Banjo & Kazooie being in Smash that is special in its own way.

I was also being kinda cheeky saying no other character they could announce could come close to B&K.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Eggman is the biggest snub in Ultimate

he should've been a boss for sure. Capcom and Konami got one, but Sega didn't? Blasphemous.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
So you just assume they'll not air the trailer in Japan?
yeah exactly, just like how they removed the Whom the frog bell tolls spirits from the american version along with Lucas and Roy.

It seems wild to me that the reveal trailer referencing american ads would be too obscure, especially considering that the Crash Dance came from a Japan only ad campaign. Japan even had its own series of ads with a Crash mascot (granted it wasnt the obvious suit guy).

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, if I somehow came across some top-secret rare Smash info but it was something as comparatively boring as "they're making Team Rocket and Goemon Mii costumes," I'd totally just use it to fuck with people.

"Hey everyone, the next direct will have Team Rocket, and the one after that will announce that Fighters Pass 2 is going to be entirely Madoka Magicka themed. Yeah I know, apparently Shaft dropped the big bucks and they're getting 5 characters in a row for a crossover."
That's pretty much my stance on many followup leaks - the internet is full of cheekychaps so take everything with a grain of salt. So often we've seen someone get some info right only to pop back up with new leak that ends up being absoute drivel.

One dude from the Sabi gang said that "he's very young, like less than 20 years old, and he used to seriously want Popeye in Smash, so don't take this guy too seriously"
That's about it. (It seriously happened)
I did find that a rather odd criticism. I've seen many requests for Popeye as the first non VG characer due to the whole Donkey Kong origin story.

Dante is in but no Crash
Woah. Okabe has switched from "no Geno" to "no Crash". I think this is the closest thing to a legit Geno leak we've ever had.

Honestly, the two billion songs part sounds completely true. Touhou music is incredibly popular (probably more popular than the actual games/characters) and is remixed constantly. I would not be surprised if Reimu got in and they pulled another 'castlevania song selection' where the music team was just so excited to work with these songs.
While I won't put stock in the Touhou rumours just yet, we've often had leaks that turned out to be true despite them not following "the rules". So Touhou having more music tracks than the expected amount based on the previous packs shouldn't really be a point against it. Remember the ESRB leak with its apparent wrong order for the Mario characters?

What would Geno's stage be? Forest Maze? A sky tour of the Mushroom Kingdom? Booster's Tower?
Clearly Bowser's Keep. It's the "Level 1" of the game afterall.

if we go by the infallible Amount Of Fanart On Pixiv metric, Touhou is the obvious frontrunner for challenger pack 5
I can't find any flaws in this argument.

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Eggman would've been a boring Sega boss

they should've gone with one of the hideous things from Altered Beast instead

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Nothing would make me laugh harder than this, and I didn't even know I wanted it until now.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Remember when people assumed Balder would be a boss for a little while? That could've been fun.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if Eggman was a boss but instead of one of his well known Classic or Modern machines he showed up in this thing.
latest

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Imagine if Eggman was a boss but instead of one of his well known Classic or Modern machines he showed up in this thing.
latest
Ew, you made me look at Sonic Blast today. It'd be pretty funny if this thing (with no official name) ever returned though; maybe Mania 2? lol.

Though honestly, if we did get an Eggman boss, I think it would definitely be a mulit-phase fight. I'm mainly taking inspiration from the Sky Sanctuary bosses in 3&K and Advance's X-Zone, but I think it could be something like:
  • Egg Mobile-H (Green Hill boss)
  • Egg Mobile-D (Emerald Hill boss)
Then the real boss comes in. If they want to go classic, the Death Egg Robot (every Sonic fan's FAVOURITE boss!); if they want to go modern, Egg Dragoon, I guess?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Even if all that stuff is true, isn't it far more likely they'd just include a mii fighter costume with a unique remix then a full character?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
You know, I've never touched a Touhou game and the closest I've gotten to playing a bullet hell is Nier: Automata, but I'd be all in for Reimu. That's the exact style of off-the-wall fun pick that I live for.

Plus, and this is definitely the most important part, it would make the people who complain about too much anime mad which would be delicious.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who hasn't gotten a chance to play a Groove Coaster arcade cabinet with U.N. Owen in it are missing out.

Groove Coaster has Undertale as well

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
So in conclusion the only hardlock is Maxwell from Scribblenauts.

And Spike from Ape Escape. I have a source from Eurogamer who may or may not be the source who gave the list of Mii Costumes to that other source at IGN. My telephones are playing several different games of telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.