• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Travis can only be played with motion controls so you have to make suggestive motions to charge. Awkward playercam for tournaments.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I never even played a NMH game, but yes!

Speaking of wanting characters you have almost no experience in their respective franchises. Anyone else desire characters like that? Other ones I have no experience are Doom, Phoenix Wright, Cooking Mama, Jedah, and Kiryu.

Sol Badguy would be dope.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019

Speaking of wanting characters you have almost no experience in their respective franchises. Anyone else desire characters like that? Other ones I have no experience are Doom, Phoenix Wright, Cooking Mama, Jedah, and Kiryu.
Sol Badguy, Amaterasu, Dante, Reimu, and Arle Nadja all fit that criteria for me.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Touhou experience is secondhand these days, so I might as well count Reimu. I have also never played Overwatch but I want Tracer.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Maybe it won't be until Smash 6 or Smash 7, but for a character that would cause such a huge reaction, as well as being Bamco's most popular character, I still think he could get it eventually. Obviously not sayng it's a sure thing, just that if I were a betting man I'd put my money on it.

I mean, Villager and Ridley got in after being deconfirmed by the man himself too.
Shuishea is going to be shocked to find out they don't own Goku anymore

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There's a lot of characters where I've played some of their games but not all.

Dante: played DMC1/3
Sora: played KH1
Leon: played RE2/RE4/REmake 2
Ryu Hayabusa: played NES NG1
Bomberman: impossible to play all of his games but my experience is mostly with the N64 ones

I've only ever played the PS1 Crash trilogy and CTR but really do other Crash games even matter?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Sora. I tried KH1, but couldn't get into it. I love the way it looks, though, and Sora's abilities are a spectacle.

Deleted member 14939

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd personally prefer Twintelle & Urbosa, but I wouldn't say no to those two (especially considering that Lola Pop is my secondary main in ARMS).

I wouldn't hate Twintelle or Urbosa either. Just prefer the two I mentioned because somehow the ARMS team made a clown design not horrifying but actually silly and funny and Mipha uses a spear.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Heihachi is one of these characters that I want but I have not much affinity with its home series. I played a little bit of Tekken 5 on PS2.. and that's about it. Other than that, of course, I played other games that had Heihachi on it, like SoulCalibur II, NAMCO x Capcom and Street Fighter X Tekken (in fact, that was the game that made me want him in Smash; as he's full of charisma despite of being one of the biggest douches of games);

I'm still holding my breath for a Tekken 7 port on Switch these days; certainly doesn't seem that impossible and I'd like to try Akuma and Geese out.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Oh hey the next thread happened while I was away.

Anyway; you people convinced me to buy Codename Steam (for four bucks) so it better be good enough to justify the steep price!

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I wonder what the reaction would be from most of the western fandom if a character like Reimu or Saber got in. Both get tons of fanart and Touhou and F/GO in particular are ENORMOUS in Japan, but I have no idea how western fans would react to characters lesser known over here getting in, especially after Terry.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Speaking of wanting characters you have almost no experience in their respective franchises. Anyone else desire characters like that?
Most of my wants are from franchises I care about and have played plenty of; but I guess Arle would fit that criteria (i've barely played Puyo Puyo; I just support them for a friend). Layton too.

Damn; $2.70 USD still wasn't cheap enough? But an unopened pack of 3DS AR cards randomly ended up in the pre-owned copy's case. That has to make it worth it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the reaction would be from most of the western fandom if a character like Reimu or Saber got in. Both get tons of fanart and Touhou and F/GO in particular are ENORMOUS in Japan, but I have no idea how western fans would react to characters lesser known over here getting in, especially after Terry.
I would hope that Reimu getting in would open the door for Shantae considering she's basically Reimu's western equivalent

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
From what I've heard, Japan's Smash communities view Saber as a meme pick, so I don't know if they would be really happy with her either.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm glad that they are trying to get these Amaterasu statues out ahead of her Smash reveal; just like they tried to do with Banjo & Kazooie.

Speaking of Amaterasu, while I was just out with a friend picking up my $4 copy of Code:Name Steam, I also flipped through the "Guinness World Records 2020: Gamer's Edition" as a joke, and was happy to see that Amaterasu, Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa all got full two page spreads, while there was no Tekken or Resident Evil in sight. Meanwhile, there were more than 10 pages focused on Fortnite, but we don't talk about that.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Okami clearly holds the world record for most rereleases of a game no one bought the first time around

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Okami clearly holds the world record for most rereleases of a game no one bought the first time around
Unfortunately, I didn't get to look at the amazing world records related to Okami, but Bayonetta had a record for being the most-played character in Smash at EVO 2018.

Also one of the records on the "Dante / Nero" page was "First crossover in a Devil May Cry game" for the Mega Buster in DMCV, which I found hilarious.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
THE BOI NAIRO TAKES MAINSTAGE AGAINST MKLEO WITH A REVERSE 3-0

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm glad my copy of Code:Name Steam clearly has a story to it. The operations manual for the New 2DS and an unopened pack of AR Cards were shoved in the case. The game has two save files; one with a whopping zero minutes of play time, and other with 22 minutes.

So i'd like to believe that the story goes something like this: some poor kid got the game with their New 2DS, probably shoved some of the useless stuff that came with the 2DS in the case after tossing out the box, was absolutely confused after struggling with it for a little bit, so they returned it.

Totally nailed it.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I mean, I see no problem with Reimu. Sakurai can probably sell it to the west as being a big pick for Japan. Though, it would clearly be best if she leaks first so people get used to the idea; worked out well for Hero.

Of course, he needs to give us a western indie like, say, Hornet from Hollow Knight, to truly make up for it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Arbitrary Color Theory: the next wave of DLC will be distributed in the form of another Fighter Pass, but they'll be using an inverted color scheme to sell it.

F3y1jyt.png

0dzQjrf.png

This moment in the Direct was always very odd to me, like what purpose does switching from black to white in that announcement serve? Not really much. Then I remember that a lot of the backgrounds and headers for Smash's DLC content traditionally employs black, both on things like news headings within Smash itself, the fighter pass logo, the fighter pass lineup (though it also employs a bit of some rustic gold in its design), release date screens in trailers and also every character's eShop page. Going from black to white in the announcement may be an indication of a paradigm shift to indicate a new identification for the next batch of content.

Also could fit the whole Dharkon - Galeem angle I guess.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I see no problem with Reimu. Sakurai can probably sell it to the west as being a big pick for Japan. Though, it would clearly be best if she leaks first so people get used to the idea; worked out well for Hero.

Of course, he needs to give us a western indie like, say, Hornet from Hollow Knight, to truly make up for it.
Nah

maxw-824.jpg

let's get both

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Arbitrary Color Theory: the next wave of DLC will be distributed in the form of another Fighter Pass, but they'll be using an inverted color scheme to sell it.

F3y1jyt.png

0dzQjrf.png

This moment in the Direct was always very odd to me, like what purpose does switching from black to white in that announcement serve? Not really much. Then I remember that a lot of the backgrounds and headers for Smash's DLC content traditionally employs black, both on things like news headings within Smash itself, the fighter pass logo, the fighter pass lineup (though it also employs a bit of some rustic gold in its design), release date screens in trailers and also every character's eShop page. Going from black to white in the announcement may be an indication of a paradigm shift to indicate a new identification for the next batch of content.

I dunno that seems a little arbituary. Like finding guest characters from companies that are well acquainted with Nintendo that also happen to allign with the exact same colors as the previous Pass characters seems a little arbitrary. I'd believe a concept like that more for a game that has original characters not one that has to work with established ones like Smash

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno that seems a little arbituary. Like finding guest characters from companies that are well acquainted with Nintendo that also happen to allign with the exact same colors as the previous Pass characters seems a little arbitrary. I'd believe a concept like that more for a game that has original characters not one that has to work with established ones like Smash
I never said the characters would align with the background change though? I just said they'd use a different background color than black in the content headings to distinguish that it's a different pass.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017

F3y1jyt.png

0dzQjrf.png

the dark days of third party domination are over

now the pure light of the First Party Pass shines down

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
"But why this Hollow Knight game over Sans, Shovel Knight and Shantae?"

BECAUSE HOLLOW KNIGHT SLAPS, YOU DWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBS
I also have the ulterior motive of getting a character made in my home country into Smash; but it also helps that Hollow Knight is really amazing (and was featured in two Nintendo E3 presentations in a row...)

We can still make room for like, two third-party characters, right? A pass that could include The Prince and Chibi-Robo is a win in my book.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I never said the characters would align with the background change though? I just said they'd use a different background color than black in the content headings to distinguish that it's a different pass.
Oh now I see what you mean. Yeah that's a pretty reasonable guess. Though it would be a little empty for them to do that and do another completely third party guest character Pass again. Like the presentation is different but it's the same thing in it's core.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I also have the ulterior motive of getting a character made in my home country into Smash; but it also helps that Hollow Knight is really amazing (and was featured in two Nintendo E3 presentations in a row...)

We can still make room for like, two third-party characters, right? A pass that could include The Prince and Chibi-Robo is a win in my book.
DLC 5 is a Nintendo character *nudges towards profile pic* and Pass 2 is mainly Nintendo characters and a Guest. The Guest is Sora

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Oh now I see what you mean. Yeah that's a pretty reasonable guess. Though it would be a little empty for them to do that and do another completely third party guest character Pass again. Like the presentation is different but it's the same thing in it's core.
I mean; if this theory is right; it'd make sense as an easy way to differentiate the passes and challenger packs by the thumbnails on the eShop.

DLC 5 is a Nintendo character *nudges towards profile pic* and Pass 2 is mainly Nintendo characters and a Guest. The Guest is Sora
I'm fine with Pyra and Mythra, but we can totally skip out on Sora, right?

I'll decide who we get depending on who Challenger Pack 5 is.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean; if this theory is right; it'd make sense as an easy way to differentiate the passes and challenger packs by the thumbnails on the eShop.

I'm fine with Pyra and Mythra, but we can totally skip out on Sora, right?

I'll decide who we get depending on who Challenger Pack 5 is.
We get Genie Girl. I'm fine throwing Sora under the bus for playable Pyra and Mythra

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Reimu is fine but I would be happy to keep gacha games far away from Smash.

Man the Nintendo-only crowd is gonna be real bummed once season 2 starts up.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Reimu could also be sold as Ms. Bullet Hell.

Not that any of these things would matter in the face of gamer rage.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Reimu is fine but I would be happy to keep gacha games far away from Smash.

Man the Nintendo-only crowd is gonna be real bummed once season 2 starts up.
Man I don't even want a Nintendo only Pass I just want some Nintendo characters period. Honestly assuming DLC 5 is a Nintendo character I would be okay with Passes being majority guests and a Nintendo character (most likely ones from recent games that released on Switch)

So like
Western character
Nintendo
New JP company
JP company
Wild Card pick

That would be a fine format for Passes moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.