• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
JoyfulAfraidIndochinahogdeer-size_restricted.gif

BleakDeliciousFallowdeer-size_restricted.gif

Nah Travis is better.
So he'd just have Incineroar's throws? You call that original? /s

Sometimes I write mean things about people in here, then delete it before anyone can see.

Like writing angry letters and not sending them.
Can't imagine how many times people have written stuff about me ;)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
mandela effect is doing a number on me in terms of assuming kazuya and kazuma shared a name and the most embarrassing part was it's not even the name Kiryu that was similar. dementia is settling in. either that or it's 1 am and i blame everyone still wanting kiryu for tekken.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
mandela effect is doing a number on me in terms of assuming kazuya and kazuma shared a name and the most embarrassing part was it's not even the name Kiryu that was similar. dementia is settling in. either that or it's 1 am and i blame everyone still wanting kiryu for tekken.
Honestly, I thought you were confusing Kiryu with Hiryu (Strider), lol.

Well, we already have Izuna Drop in Smash Bros but no one ever talks about it.

nWQDVio.jpg
They clearly added it as preparation for Hayabusa, duh!

I don't even remember what Smash 4 custom special this replaced, lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in the structure of Season 2. You'd think they'd do another Fighter Pass of five characters and stages, but who knows.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go with the Smash 4 DLC structure where it ends similarly.

With 16 total DLC slots I was thinking maybe instead of stages they'd append an Echo fighter to each character.

I know some people are counter to the idea but the stages haven't been much to write home about in Ultimate so I'm fine with cool alternate costumes instead.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I think it might be better if we don't have another pass; or at least one that doesn't stick to a specific structure and price for each challenger pack.

It'd probably open up the potential inclusions a bit more if they could release characters without stages or with echo fighters.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Makes me depressed seeing more people wanting Steve and Fortnite person than Terry and Hayabusa in all honesty.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Makes me depressed seeing more people wanting Steve and Fortnite person than Terry and Hayabusa in all honesty.
Why? Different generations of people growing up with different games. I can't relate to Terry or Hayabusa because I grew up in the PS2 & GCU era and not the NES or SNES. Never had an Xbox until last year.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Does Papa Geno's make good pizza?
It's named after a character void wooden puppet, so I expect a very standard margarita pizza delivered with no fanfare and no dip.

Hayabusa gets in as a Mii costume.

Nioh Guy for KT rep.
I wonder if ol' Anjin Adams falls into the same category as Oda Nobunaga, 2 real 4 smash.

even if his backstory of travelling from Ireland (he wasn't even irish!) to save his spirit waifu might just be greatly exaggerated

(Of course we all know Oda conquered japan with a shiny rayquaza)

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be big mad if we don't end up getting Goodbye Esaka as one of Terry's tracks. One of the GOAT KoF tracks

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Versus Homerun Contest is really fun.

Been playing smash forever with friends and this was the first time I've ever decided to do versus with someone lol.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with Terry being here more than those three.

My main issue with Terry was that I wanted a more inspired SNK character (Team character) or a female one like Nakoruru or Mai

If anything the true Smash zoomer picks are Shantae and Sora. Now that's what the young people want

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's still weird that Homerun Contest took nearly an entire year after launch to bring back.

It's nice to have it back, but I really wish it could of been in the base game to begin with mainly because, as it currently is, there's not much incentive to play it due to obviously the lack of any achievements or unlockables tied into it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's still weird that Homerun Contest took nearly an entire year after launch to bring back.

It's nice to have it back, but I really wish it could of been in the base game to begin with mainly because, as it currently is, there's not much incentive to play it due to obviously the lack of any achievements or unlockables tied into it.
It's not like they couldn't add another challenge board for the post release additions

They already added the online challenges in a day 1 patch, so the game supports adding new ones it would seem

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Everytime I came to say Cloud represents anything other than FF7 people come say he represents FF7.

So do you guys who think Cloud represents just FF7 thinks we will get any KOF spirits or music ?

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Everytime I came to say Cloud represents anything other than FF7 people come say he represents FF7.

So do you guys who think Cloud represents just FF7 thinks we will get any KOF spirits or music ?

...Yeah?

Terry's trailer has characters from KoF, and I'm pretty sure his stage is also from KoF.

Cloud doesn't really have anything from outside FF7 (unless you count Advent Children)

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they couldn't add another challenge board for the post release additions

They already added the online challenges in a day 1 patch, so the game supports adding new ones it would seem
The hammer system is even set up for it. You still earn points to a new hammer even if you literally can't complete nough to earn another

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

Cloud does only represent FFVII in Smash; the game itself states as much in the sound test (unlike every other franchise in the game, which is written out like "______ Series", FF is simply titled "FINAL FANTASY VII").

Terry will obviously come with a wider range of SNK content though, considering that his stage is based on the King of Fighters tournament arena, and all of the KoF/AoF/SS characters who made appearances in his trailer (likely on the stage too). The "PAC-MAN Series" takes a majority of it's music from other Bandai Namco games, so it isn't unlikely at all.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I'm more interested in the structure of Season 2. You'd think they'd do another Fighter Pass of five characters and stages, but who knows.
I think it might be better if we don't have another pass; or at least one that doesn't stick to a specific structure and price for each challenger pack.

It'd probably open up the potential inclusions a bit more if they could release characters without stages or with echo fighters.
I'm certain it's going to be packaged similarly to the current one (they get paid upfront) but the possibility of additional stages/echoes isn't too far out. It still is out there whether they want to pursue the echo pack idea through.

Mar 9, 2018
The Sans reveal trailer starts with a CGI cutscene of Mario going through 1-1, killing all the enemies in his path. When he gets to the block in 1-1 that has the fire flower, Flowey pops up instead. Flowey does his Flowey shtick and scares Mario and Mario falls down a pit/void into the underground. Then the rest happens.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Terry's an amazing addition but part of me still wishes Kyo would've gotten the call. He's my 2nd favorite SNK character after Rock.

Honestly, I was expecting it to be Kyo, because of the other guests being other characters with Terry already in FEXL. I love both Kyo/Terry, Terry a lot more, but was really leaning on Kyo to make it out.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite SNK character is the one with the silly lines in broken English.

Genjuro is my husbando.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
You know, i'm really struggling to come up with a selection of 11 more fighters that i'm really fine with. I'm not even including characters from existing franchises or echo fighters (which just complicate things more!) and it's still difficult.

5N3WQ2p.png

What i'm thinking right now is:
  • Ryu Hayabusa: Totally justified as a Smash inclusion for reasons I really don't need to go into (we've talked about that enough).
  • Geno: A huge fan request and a favourite of Sakurai; shouldn't be hard to justify. Swapping him out for a female Square Enix character like 2B or Lara Croft would help with balancing out representation within the remainder of the DLC, but in this case I think fan demand would win out.
  • Doom Slayer: An icon of a genre that has gone unrepresented on Smash's roster thus far (inb4 "Dark Samus tho"). Bethesda have talked to Nintendo about Smash, the heads at id are fine with his inclusion, but it's up to Nintendo to see the worth in adding a franchise that finds it's popularity in the West. Also i'm biased.
  • Howard: While i'm avoiding first-party characters here due to the current nature of the passes, I think Astral Chain, as a brand new franchise with no content in Smash, could still fit in with the current mold of the DLC.
  • Arle: Out of the remaining options of Sega, I think representing Puyo Puyo is a great choice. Arle's first appearance predates Sonic 1, and the franchise she would represent is still older than a majority of the characters here (only beaten by Ninja Gaiden; Doom is third).
  • Sol Badguy: Guilty Gear is, by far, my favourite choice for another fighting game franchise in Smash. Arc System Works are a huge unrepresented Japanese developer, and has a unique style that would make Sol stand out. Also the music.
Then, there are a few i'm not really sure about:
  • A Bandai Namco Rep: There are a lot of reasonable choices for this slot, so it's really hard to pick one (I don't even have all of the potential options pictured above):
    • The Prince of All Cosmos: My personal pick, but I know he and the cousins (which would include one or two female options) aren't happening. They could be a very unique presence in Smash, and would also have some of the best music additions, but alas...
    • KOS-MOS: I know there are some people here who want her, and she has plenty of moveset potential to work with, but people here probably already know that I doubt her chances. Still, i'd be totally fine with seeing this happen.
    • Chosen Undead: Dark Souls is the type of modern hit I could see Nintendo interested in representing (especially when looking at all of the promotion Dark Souls Remastered received in Nintendo presentations), and Sakurai could make something work here.
    • Lloyd Irving: Tales is a series that was already represented in Smash once, and it seems like Sakurai's pick would definitely be Lloyd. I'm not all that interested in his inclusion, but I do see him as a likely option.
    • Heihachi: I really don't think we'll see Heihachi (or any Tekken rep) make it in (already including Sol on my list is a factor in that though), but it'd feel wrong to not mention him.
  • A Capcom Rep: I'll acknowledge a Resident Evil rep, Dante and Monster Hunter as valid options, but there are really only two that i'm focused on (because they're my top 2):
    • Phoenix Wright: I don't think I need to really sell his inclusion in Smash. Ace Attorney has a strong tie to Nintendo, a strong future and plenty of great music for Sakurai to include. They've made him work in a fighting game before, but i'm sure Sakurai can come up with something different and special.
    • Amaterasu: For the sake of adding another female character to this lineup, i'm really leaning towards Amaterasu, but I realise that she wouldn't really be in the running. I just think she'd be a fun Smash inclusion (her appearance in MvC3 proves that to me).
  • A New Japanese Third-Party: This slot is mainly a toss-up between two options I have in mind, but there's a third I had in mind:
    • Travis Touchdown: The option i'd probably pick here. Era has plenty of Travis supporters who could do a better job at explaining why he should be included, so I won't bother there. Marvelous already have content in Smash, and Suda is 100% on-board with Travis making it in.
    • Professor Layton: Has a strong tie to Nintendo (with the first six installments being published by them), and his series is still moving forward (even if he isn't the protagonist). Level-5 are having a tough time with Yo-Kai Watch dying on them, but I still consider them big enough for Smash.
    • Jason & Sophia 3rd: An underdog pick that i've latched onto recently. Blaster Master is a Famicom classic, and the series has found new life through indie-developed titles. Sunsoft really aren't all that big, but I think Sophia could make for an interesting Smash character.
  • A New Western Third-Party: Really, out of these two I would personally root for Sora (after... you know what), but i'll give Crash a fair shake too:
    • Sora: A really huge Smash request, doesn't really overlap with Geno since they have different owners, and would just please a lot of people. The biggest obstacle is sorting everything out with Disney, but if they can do it, they should go for it.
    • Crash: Activision are really trying to bring the Bandicoot back, and they've made it work. I'd definitely expect to see him make it over Spyro, at the very least. The original Crash trilogy sold very well for western titles in Japan, so i'm sure he would be welcome there too.
  • An Indie Rep: The most-likely choice here is probably Reimu, but i'll still talk about my most-wanted anyway:
    • Reimu: Touhou Project is massive in Japan, probably being the biggest indie inclusion they could manage for that market. I'm afraid of how the west would respond to her, but I think she's a likely option (since I believe Shovel Knight, Shantae and Undertale are all out).
    • Hornet: She will never EVER happen, but i'd love Hornet. Hollow Knight is a stand-out indie title (promoted by Nintendo during E3 2018 with a shadow-drop release), and with Silksong (also advertised by Nintendo during E3 this year) letting Hornet take over as the protagonist, she could work as the representative for this indie franchise. Also, uh, patriotism, or whatever.
Whoo. That took forever. Honestly, I forgot what my original point here was after writing so much. Uh... oh right: THERE ARE TOO MANY GOOD OPTIONS FOR SMASH AND I CAN'T TAKE IT.

Last edited:

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Inb4 something happens again. Joker was the only character of the fighter pass that didn't any traceable leak or rumor up until his trailer.
At the same time the rumors for Banjo and Terry only happened pretty much right before they were revealed and neither of them really dominated the conversation. There were debates on an MS rep but it was largely speculation and even then it was constant debates on if we would see Banjo get in or other larger IPs MS had such as Minecraft and Halo

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
At the same time the rumors for Banjo and Terry only happened pretty much right before they were revealed and neither of them really dominated the conversation. There were debates on an MS rep but it was largely speculation and even then it was constant debates on if we would see Banjo get in or other larger IPs MS had such as Minecraft and Halo
I know, just saying that the track record for actual surprising characters is hasn't been that good. I like me surprises.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know, just saying that the track record for actual surprising characters is hasn't been that good. I like me surprises.
I dunno SNK shook us the the fuck up so I wouldn't not bet on DLC 5 being a character alot of us discounted. Though what's funny is that SNK did have some conversations but they were focused on the surprising amount of Nakoruru rumors.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I predict that Dark Souls representation will be added in the form of a Mii Swordfighter Costume of Solaire

Status
Not open for further replies.