• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
With 16 total DLC slots I was thinking maybe instead of stages they'd append an Echo fighter to each character.

I know some people are counter to the idea but the stages haven't been much to write home about in Ultimate so I'm fine with cool alternate costumes instead.
So only characters that can come with an echo then:
  • Haruka Amami with Uzuki Shimamura
  • Twinbee with Winbee
  • Phoenix Wright with Miles Edgeworth
  • The Prince of all Cosmos with the King of all Cosmos (young ver)
  • Reimu Hakurei with Marisa Kirisame
  • Arle Nadja with Ringo Ando
They simply do not understand the magnitude of cultural impact Halo had on the larger gaming landscape outside the Nintendo community bubble.
I'm pretty sure it's just because they don't care about Halo.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
  • Twinbee with Winbee
You know what?

I accept this. But only because you tried to squeeze the Prince in there ;)

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
If you thought Hero was indicative of what we'll get in terms of alts/echoes, wait till we get to Sora.

1. Sora
2. Norted-Sora
3. Not-Sora-but-kind-of-alsowhyhasn'theaged
4. Edgy Sora

There you go! 2 for each, perfect as sunshine.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
So only characters that can come with an echo then:
  • Twinbee with Winbee

I'm pretty sure it's just because they don't care about Halo.
- Chosen Undead with Solaire
- Dante with Virgil
- 2B with 9S
- Sora with Riku
- Kiryu with Majima

I'd be fine with this

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean 90% of the time you play as Roxas he's pretty much a Sora echo.
They don't even share the same basic 3 hit combo at the beginning of 2. Besides, Roxas is known for duel wielding so trying to make him an echo of Sora doesn't work at all. Sora has a lot that's completely unique to him so unless you omit 99% of it and Frankenstein him into some weird character for the sole purpose of supporting echos, it doesn't work.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do people really think they'd add a no-name character like Sora over Elsa from Kingdom Hearts III? Not only is she arguably the main character, but she's also going to be featured in the upcoming film. She has the relevance and the moveset potential.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
They don't even share the same basic 3 hit combo at the beginning of 2. Besides, Roxas is known for duel wielding so trying to make him an echo of Sora doesn't work at all. Sora has a lot that's completely unique to him so unless you omit 99% of it and Frankenstein him into some weird character for the sole purpose of supporting echos, it doesn't work.
That's not how it would work lol.

Sora would be using all his unique tools and they'll just make Roxas do what he does.

Look at Dark Samus.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how it would work lol.

Sora would be using all his unique tools and they'll just make Roxas do what he does.

Look at Dark Samus.
Lol Nomura would never agree to that. Makes absolutely no sense. Roxas doing drive forms, keyblade transformations, flowmotion, etc. is pretty different than Dark Samus doing what Samus does. The former is faaaaaaaar more "off character" which defeats the entire purpose.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Sakurai will never add Sora to Smash, because some western internet commenters thought that Project Sora / Sora Ltd. was a Kingdom Hearts reference.

He was very saddened by our ignorance.

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Lol Nomura would never agree to that. Makes absolutely no sense. Roxas doing drive forms, keyblade transformations, flowmotion, etc. is pretty different than Dark Samus doing what Samus does. The former is faaaaaaaar more "off character" which defeats the entire purpose.
I disagree regarding Nomura. Cloud isn't even that good of a representation of himself in Smash.
Echoes aren't meant to be completely faithful. They could change 1 or 2 things and call it a day. It helps that Roxas and Sora have the same body structure.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I think every echo in Ultimate makes some sort of compromise from their canon incarnations in order to fit properly into the mold.

I don't think Sora would necessarily need one though. Even if good echo opportunities popped up (like Wright with Edgeworth or Apollo), I feel like Sakurai might pass on them with how the DLC has been so structured thus far.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree regarding Nomura. Cloud isn't even that good of a representation of himself in Smash.
Echoes aren't meant to be completely faithful. They could change 1 or 2 things and call it a day. It helps that Roxas and Sora have the same body structure.
You might as well take literally any 2 characters from any series and make them a "playable/echo" situation.They straight up don't share anything beyond both having keyblades and a similar body type. At that point why even choose him? You might as well just pick Vanitas. At least he actually looks like Sora lol.
I'm fine with compromises being made in areas for the sake of an echo but I just don't think Sora even remotely works with ANY echo. I think both Riku and Roxas would be better as ATs or stage elements

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if Twinbee uses a moveset that incorporates moves from the whole series then Winbee being an echo is fine. However, if Twinbee's moveset is 100% true to it then Winbee being an echo would be off as Twinbee is known for having a pistol while Winbee has a whip.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
You might as well take literally any 2 characters from any series and make them a "playable/echo" situation.They straight up don't share anything beyond both having keyblades and a similar body type. At that point why even choose him? You might as well just pick Vanitas. At least he actually looks like Sora lol
Its DLC. They won't make anybody an echo. Someone else from KH will make them money by selling them separately anyways.

But if some reason they decide to do it. Roxas having a keybade and same body is all you need. I'm not arguing against Roxas needing to be faithful to his game, just saying what they need if they wanted to make it happen. Roxas would be a "good" echo pick because he's easy to do and pretty popular. Moreso then Vanitas.

I'm just saying. That if for some crazy reason Sora happens and even crazier they decide to do an Echo. Roxas wouldn't surprise me.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
You might as well take literally any 2 characters from any series and make them a "playable/echo" situation.They straight up don't share anything beyond both having keyblades and a similar body type. At that point why even choose him? You might as well just pick Vanitas. At least he actually looks like Sora lol.
I'm fine with compromises being made in areas for the sake of an echo but I just don't think Sora even remotely works with ANY echo. I think both Riku and Roxas would be better as ATs or stage elements
To be fair, Sakurai is the same guy that made Lucas a Ness clone and Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clone, so he doesn't really need much beyond "similar body type" either.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Blaze has like no chance of being a Sonic echo or ever being playable in Smash period. There are other more popular characters that work far better as echoes and even they don't have a good chance of getting in. Just saying because I see Blaze come up so much.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
i'm sure Roxas/Ventus/Vanitas have their differences in KH gameplay/lore - but i just find it funny that in terms of appearance they look virtually the same and would make amazing echoes if needed. We did get stuff like Roy/Chrom, Dark Samus/Samus and Simon/Richter so its not like their in-game differences would be significant.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I like Banjo as a character and for the novelty of getting a character I've wanted for 20 years into Smash, but at the same time I actually think Hero and Dragon Quest content was the more interesting addition.

I still voted for Banjo, though.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Because I'm bored and curious...

Straw Poll: Who is your favorite Fighters Pass character released so far?

Consider everything -- gameplay, aesthetic, source material, and so on.
It's tough since they've all been winners.

I have to go with Joker though since the reveal was the single biggest and best surprise in Smash history. That moment where he flipped the envelope was magical.

Plus even without Burn My Dread or Life Will Change, the music is 12/10.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hero is really the only DLC character I've been into - Banjo is relatively fun to play, but not enough to break into my usual rotation, and I've never played a Persona or Banjo game. Though I have played #FE and Yooka-Laylee so I guess I like the value brand versions?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Joker has the best music.
Hero is the most fun to play as.
Banjo and Kazooie overall makes me very happy.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I voted Joker, cause Persona. I've personally played way more of Banjo though. I soured on Hero really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.