• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The Genesis proved that long before.

2d2.jpg

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Smash was what got me curious about all these Nintendo franchises, got me to explore the internet to find the old site and now resetera, and was generally responsible for me becoming a gaming enthusiast.

In other words Sakurai ruined my life
Love both the K. Rool and Banjo name drops in this video. Thanks to the Pokemon craze of the 90's, Smash introduced me to Nintendo as well as Rareware.
Having only 8 tracks and no remixes is weak. Obviously I get why but that doesn't change my enjoymet of them overall.

For me there's distinctly two phases of Smash, 64-Melee and pre-Brawl to now.

When 64 and Melee came out, these were just fun cartoony fighting games that happened to star Nintendo characters. I wasn't really thinking in terms of "I hope they add XYZ to the next game." The closest it came to that was learning that Mewtwo was in Melee and rushing to unlock him. Even so, I loved the games and played them for dozens of hours, with my brother, with friends, Melee is easily one of my most played games ever.

Once Brawl speculation started, I was older and internet savvy, so I was watching everyone discuss character speculation saying "I hope this character gets in," and "this character deserves to be in." This got me thinking about Smash more as a great crossover where iconic characters and franchises get to stand shoulder to shoulder with each other, and how Smash was a validation. The DK series was in a weird spot during the GameCube and early Wii days, so seeing Diddy Kong get in, a 100% Rare created character, was very exciting and validating. I learned a lot about Nintendo and gaming history in general via Smash speculation. And sometimes the obsessive speculation made the experience more rewarding, sometimes more disappointing. I was disappointed when the K. Rool costume was shown in Smash 4 DLC, but then I cried tears of joy at the character trailer in Ultimate.

Also worth pointing out that the series has gotten me to play two of my all time favorite games, as in, literally my #2 and #3, Persona 5 and Metal Gear Solid (and by extension the rest of the Metal Gear series).

It's hard to separate how I engage modern Smash games from how I speculate about them. So many hours on the internet spent combing over patterns and clues and debating the merits of fat irrelevant crocodiles being on the roster. Obviously I love the games and still play them a ton, I put 200 hours into Smash 4 and I'm coming up on 300 for Ultimate. But the pre-release hype for Smash is intoxicating and hard to tear away from and forms a large portion of what I get out of the series. While it's been up and down, Ultimate adding so many longstanding dream characters really makes it feel like an amazing culmination of the last 20 years, and I'm very thankful Sakurai is going to be adding characters to it as long as possible. When Banjo & Kazooie were added, Ultimate became my de facto favorite game of all time, not just because it's an amazing game, but because it represents a capstone of years and years of speculation and hoping, and how essentially all of my favorite video game series and characters are in one title.

I'm gonna be late for work after writing all that...

Thanks for those responses and I wish more members would answer those question because I thought some people have their reasons to be here as well. I guess it's most people here are in for a hype ride and not having any special feelings toward to the franchise.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Sora echoes, Roxas has kind of developed his own style, so could they do Ven or Xion?

I think it'd make more sense character wise but Roxas is way more popular than both of those so I think some people would be dumbfounded.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I mean, yeah. It is a mess. But given the same people are involved I don't see their next attempt being any cleaner.
Probably not, but they're going to try

Their first step needs to be moving away from "this is Smash Bros, but... isn't" because that makes the game pointless. But since they've already mentioned one character was given Wolf's Shine as a balance change, they already seem to still think of the game as a Smash clone without any sort of unique identity.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey, Icons is coming back. 5 dollars will get you all characters and cosmetics, no more F2P or anything

And they're continuing development on it under a new name (and a new product, Icons is a legacy product)
I'm glad they're not giving up.

Regarding Sora echoes, Roxas has kind of developed his own style, so could they do Ven or Xion?

I think it'd make more sense character wise but Roxas is way more popular than both of those so I think some people would be dumbfounded.
If the next popular character can't make a viable echo, then there just won't be an echo.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Before Icons lunched. I've heard members of the Dev team talk about Smash and understanding how it became the game that it is, the little things that set it apart that other games fail to do, what makes casual
Fans happy, what makes Smash bros fans happy.

So when Icons launched. It rather shocked me how many mistakes they made. So I think they made a right choice starting over, it would probably take much more effort to make Icons appealing. You could somewhat argue Icons reveal trailer was its biggest downfall. First impressions are everything in most cases and that did not go well for them.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that they managed to get two Sonic 1 songs for Brawl, but chosen SCRAP BRAIN over Marble, Spring Yard or Star Light.
I can see the logic of picking Scrap Brain over those three given that Star Light, Marble, and Spring Yard are very meandering tracks and Sakurai has talked in the past during Ultimate's leadup about wanting tracks that fit a "Smash vibe". Notably it was one of the tracks they brought back after its absence from 4. Though yes, the 8-bit version is objectively superior.

Still mad Sonic literally only has one remix in this entire damn series.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Scrap Brain is a great song. Definitely better than Marble at least.
Scrap Brain fits terribly on Green Hill and Windy Hill though. Like, who would actually set it anywhere close to max likelihood? Insanity.

Doesn't help that Mega Drive Scrap Brain is inferior to the MS/GG version.

Why would anyone want to be reminded of Marble Zone
Wish we got western artists on Ultimate earlier. You're underestimating the power of Tee Lopes to make any Sonic song a bop.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I think I'm about to start really enjoying Astral Chain it does something bad.

Like here I've just unlocked Bladewolf from MGR and now the game wants me to platform.

EDIT: Never mind Bladewolf can dig up items by scritching his little paws and I love him.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Before Icons lunched. I've heard members of the Dev team talk about Smash and understanding how it became the game that it is, the little things that set it apart that other games fail to do, what makes casual
Fans happy, what makes Smash bros fans happy.

So when Icons launched. It rather shocked me how many mistakes they made. So I think they made a right choice starting over, it would probably take much more effort to make Icons appealing. You could somewhat argue Icons reveal trailer was its biggest downfall. First impressions are everything in most cases and that did not go well for them.

They are better off making unique characters rather than trying to replicating those characters into Icons. And the name sucks as well.

I'm okay with more smash clones since competition is good for business. However it's clear that they lost themselves in middle of development and trying to finds their ground to put their feet down. They kinda didn't.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I can see the logic of picking Scrap Brain over those three given that Star Light, Marble, and Spring Yard are very meandering tracks and Sakurai has talked in the past during Ultimate's leadup about wanting tracks that fit a "Smash vibe". Notably it was one of the tracks they brought back after its absence from 4. Though yes, the 8-bit version is objectively superior.

Still mad Sonic literally only has one remix in this entire damn series.
I'm more talking about deciding to include it all the way back in Brawl, before Sakurai seemingly cared about that "Smash vibe" thing (he made sure that all of Ultimate's Animal Crossing remixes were fast-paced for a reason; I think he mentioned the The Roost specifically as a track that didn't fit... yet he brought it back anyway).

They brought every Sonic track back for Ultimate, besides Right There, Ride On being cut. It isn't really special in that regard.

It's really sad that despite both Ohtani and Senoue being on the Smash sound team, neither of them did Sonic remixes for Ultimate.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Sonic I'm actually digging back into the franchise again and I just started looking into the IDW comics. Considering his voice actor and all the Resident Evil talk I found it amusing.
latest

529.jpeg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh are we posting Sonic comics now?

Oh++i+remember+that+titan+tails+what+the+heck+_6f8310e2e7f9a52d2dc466eccc2cafba.jpg

Oh right, I need to read the most recent issue; forgot this was a thing lol.

It's been kind a drag of a comic due to corporate mandates by Sega, but apparently the whole Zombot story has been kicking into gear as of late. I was more interested in the Tangle & Whisper mini.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh are we posting Sonic comics now?

Oh++i+remember+that+titan+tails+what+the+heck+_6f8310e2e7f9a52d2dc466eccc2cafba.jpg

It's been kind a drag of a comic due to corporate mandates by Sega, but apparently the whole Zombot story has been kicking into gear as of late. I was more interested in the Tangle & Whisper mini.
Those two were part of the reason I started digging into IDW. They look cool.
latest

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I'm still shocked (and really happy) we got Rooftop Run Modern in. Definitely was not what I was expecting for the Generations song.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Unfortunately, "Da Rules" strictly forbid Tangle and Whisper from being included in Smash, as they are not video game characters.

I'm still shocked (and really happy) we got Rooftop Run Modern in. Definitely was not what I was expecting for the Generations song.
You know, since they were down with Generations tracks, I would've taken Speed Highway and Chemical Plant...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those two were part of the reason I started digging into IDW. They look cool.
latest

Yeah apparently the mini has been getting really well received so far, and Whisper's been the highlight of the comic for me.

I'm one of those complete degenerates who's not much of a fan of Sonic games on account of them either sucking or me sucking at them in the case of the good ones like 3&K and Mania, but I like the media surrounding the character.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm one of those complete degenerates who's not much of a fan of Sonic games on account of them either sucking or me sucking at them in the case of the good ones like 3&K and Mania, but I like the media surrounding the character.
I'm even worse than that

i'm one of those vile creatures who unironically likes the Adventure games. Well, at least SA2; a lot of the enjoyment from SA1 is totally ironic.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will not tolerate Sega Genesis music disrespect in this house

Hell yeah. Genesis music is excellent.

Don't know why people always feel the need to use the worst examples to define the system's sound. Especially when most of the time it's badly ripped versions of bad tracks from poor emulation.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I think I'm about to start really enjoying Astral Chain it does something bad.

Like here I've just unlocked Bladewolf from MGR and now the game wants me to platform.

EDIT: Never mind Bladewolf can dig up items by scritching his little paws and I love him.
Platforming is a thing in the game well before you get your third legion.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure obviously always had problems from the get go but I do think it's safe to say the DX version and all subsequent ports of it on later consoles probably had a helping hand in pissing all over the legacy/reputation of that game.

DCvsDX_Sonic.png

I still really hate the DX character models, they're really waxy and annoying to look at. The Dreamcast versions are more charming and actually look quite similar to the Classic era designs, albeit with adjusted proportions to look better for a 3D platforming game and colored eyes for some reason.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure obviously always had problems from the get go but I do think it's safe to say the DX version and all subsequent ports of it on later consoles probably had a helping hand in pissing all over the legacy/reputation of that game.

DCvsDX_Sonic.png

I still really hate the DX character models, they're really waxy and annoying to look at. The Dreamcast versions are more charming and actually look quite similar to the Classic era designs, albeit with adjusted proportions to look better for a 3D platforming game and colored eyes for some reason.

It's not just the character models. Sonic Adventure is cursed where every rerelease somehow introduces more bugs and instability that were never there in the Dreamcast original. It's mindboggling. The game that you can play now by just getting it from Steam or whatever simply isn't going to be the same experience as it was on the original release.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2's highs are better than Sonic Adventure's, but when its highs basically amount to Sonic & Shadow's first 3 levels and Pumpkin Hill that's not saying much.

Also yeah DX's upgrades are just kinda bad because they basically only touched up the main characters which just makes it jarring.

Also Chris Thorndyke is there and his presence ruins anything

sonicx_em_sadx.jpg

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: BetterSADX

BetterSADX is an easy to install / automated patch that transforms the Steam version of Sonic Adventure DX into an enhanced version with many more features added by the community over the last several

At least the fans picked up where Sega dropped the ball. The BetterSADX mod for the Steam version of Sonic Adventure DX is the remaster the game deserves.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I mean hey, at least modding can help in fixing Sonic Adventure!

steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: BetterSADX

BetterSADX is an easy to install / automated patch that transforms the Steam version of Sonic Adventure DX into an enhanced version with many more features added by the community over the last several

EDIT: Gosh darn it.

If they took SA2's Sonic/Shadow gameplay and built a whole game around that it'd be fun. It'd last two hours, but it'd be fun.
The Adventure gameplay is more sustainable overall for Sonic Team. They can make less level for more playtime in comparison to the boost formula, while still making Sonic fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.