• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I finally beat Dragon Quest VIII recently. So there is the Dragovian trial which only shown up when you beaten the game for first time and they had some plots going on there. There is a twist right there that got me mindblown.

CblTBFE.gif

It's funny how Eight got post-endgame weapon and shield as their default gears in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I finally beat Dragon Quest VIII recently. So there is the Dragovian trial which only shown up when you beaten the game for first time and they had some plots going on there. There is a twist right there that got me mindblown.

CblTBFE.gif

It's funny how Eight got post-endgame weapon and shield as their default gears in Smash Bros.
Munchie?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Somewhat all the DLC characters uses some assets avaiable in their home series;

-- Mementos most certainly borrows models from Persona 5 for the Phantom Thieves in the background (albeit downgraded)
-- Yggdrasil Altar brings a lot (if not all) assets from DQXI and Hero's Final Smash has DQ Arcade game models;
-- Spiral Mountain borrows some visual elements from its Nuts & Bolts design; and although not quite the same, since it looks more the N64 version, I believe Microsoft/Rare shared some material already done for Sakurai;
-- Some of the models in the KOF Stadium looks like from KOFXIV too, but again, heavily downgraded

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019
The best is in SMTIV: Apoc where your Navi is a sassy Irish death god.

Kill your friends, boyo.
If I remember correctly, said Irish death god is also voiced by the fella that voices Joker

CblTBFE.gif

He even got to bring gramps with him! What a good lad!

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Okay here's a crazy theory:

Enix and Atlus, when Persona and Dragon Quest were first created, were separate from Square and SEGA. So technically all four characters characters revealed so far have been from companies that didn't already have characters in the game.

5 might be the same.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly, said Irish death god is also voiced by the fella that voices Joker

He even got to bring gramps with him! What a good lad!

That's true. That's pretty cool of him allowing him to tag along. I do feel bad for him because he really messed it up for two people right here.

Enix and Atlus, when Persona and Dragon Quest were first created, were separate from Square and SEGA. So technically all four characters characters revealed so far have been from companies that didn't already have characters in the game.

5 might be the same.

That's why some people were guessing that it might be Temco Koei or another companies earlier on.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Personally, i'm a huge fan of the SMASH acronym theory.

Because it clearly points towards Susie Part-Time UFO.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

5 might be the same.
That's the reason why people wouldn't be surprised if Hayabusa or a Bandai Rep would be the last one.

It's all been new series as well.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

5 might be the same.

I see. Merger Theory.

Atlus merged with Sega.
Enix merged with Square.
Rare merged with Microsoft.
SNK merged with Playmore.

The next fighter must be coming from a company that was bought out or merged with another one! Tell Reddit. Get those Youtube theory videos out there.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Even if you don't take that theory into account, all that really leaves is Namco, Capcom, and Konami. Capcom took a hit on this Pass with the Capcom costumes coming with Banjo and uh... Konami is probably not getting a character just based on intuition. So I think that only leaves Namco as who people perceive as a "serious" contender for the final spot.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Wow, Hayabusa AND Nobunaga are getting in?

Ha, just kidding. I mean, the true Koei choice is obvious. Koei published Croc in Japan, which was originally pitched to Nintendo as a Yoshi game; so the deep connection is there.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Koei will somehow get a Dynasty Warriors rep, because Nintendo sure loves making Warrior games. I don't know how or who since they're all based on real people or fictional characters not originating in games.

But if Amaterasu is still eligible, I'm sure some of the DW characters could be.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Koei will somehow get a Dynasty Warriors rep, because Nintendo sure loves making Warrior games. I don't know how or who since they're all based on real people or fictional characters not originating in games.

But if Amaterasu is still eligible, I'm sure some of the DW characters could be.
Either Zhao Yun or Lu Bu.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

CblTBFE.gif

Munchie is great!

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Broke: The Ice Climbers and Terry glitch is hinting at Agumon and Gabumon as partner characters
Woke: Cuphead and Mugman

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I see. Merger Theory.

Atlus merged with Sega.
Enix merged with Square.
Rare merged with Microsoft.
SNK merged with Playmore.

The next fighter must be coming from a company that was bought out or merged with another one! Tell Reddit. Get those Youtube theory videos out there.
Anyone in here aware of PricewaterhouseCoopers gaming output?

Personally, i'm a huge fan of the SMASH acronym theory.

Because it clearly points towards Susie Part-Time UFO.
Ah yes! I remember reading that. But it has a problem; the order of letters is all out of whack, and Atlus is inconsistent with Microsoft and Squeenix. Wait, that's two problems. Let me start again?

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
So I was wondering the other day...do we know what the third parties actually get from the Smash deal with Nintendo, besides the obvious prestige? there's so many companies now that surely they all wouldn't get a cut of the profits would they?

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Is Source Gaming best source for Sakurai columns? I'd figure to look at games Sakurai likes to see who will likely be 5th fighter since so far 3/4 characters are blatantly from Sakurai's liking.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
There is about 4 different character architypes that get in Smash.

Characters who Sakurai love very much: or
Terry, Joker etc.

Characters who provide an extremely unique moveset for Sakurai's liking:
Piranha Plant, Mr. Game&Watch etc.

Characters who are HEAVILY requested by fans:
Ridley, K. Rool etc.

Characters who are for marketing/Nintendo asked for:
Corrin

Is there an architype I forgot?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because Ryu Hayabusa is seen as a more distinctive and iconic character than the mascots of those games (well... I love Bub and Bob, personally) so they get overlooked. Those games also debuted in the arcade before they did on the NES, although I guess that doesn't stop people from considering Punch-Out an NES classic.
Ninja Gaiden was also an arcade game first, but I hardly doubt these people are so informed they know to discredit Contra for starting life as an arcade game while also barely knowing the NES library outside of what was included on the NES Classic… wait Bubble Bobble and Super C were on that so who knows where their NES knowledge is from.

Contra is also the game that popularised the Konami Code which helped push its legacy (Would make for a cool taunt input easter egg).

I remember at least two people back in the Smash 4 speculation days that gave me long-ass essay posts of why Rosalina should not and will never be in Smash, after all I did was comment that she was one of my favorites and I'd like to see her in Smash.

She was confirmed for Smash less than a month later.
I wonder what happened to that person who wrote an essay longer than the Bible on why Dragon Quest will never and must never get into Smash. Remember, Brave begins with B therefore it must be Banjo!

Jan 9, 2018
Just out of curiosity... would you see a Digimon Tamer character as being possible ?
It doesn't fit the anime but it does fit the Cyber Sleuth games.
Super late response, sorry, but absolutely. Digimon Tamers are basically the Pokémon Trainers of the games (and the anime sometimes, like you know, Digimon Tamers lol).

It's not just Cyber Sleuth, it's every Story game and every World game, going all the way back to Mameo (who's basically the Trainer Red of Digimon as he was the protagonist of Digimon World).

If they were to choose anyone, I'd expect Mameo, or one of the Cyber Sleuth protagonists, since they're the most relevant and are associated with Agumon (who is 100% going to be the Digimon rep.), and I don't see Sakurai using the Digimon Survive protagonist who's too new.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

CblTBFE.gif

Lol yeah, it's a pretty deep cut. And not only the endgame weapon, but its enhanced alchemy pot variant. They really outdid themselves with the fanservice.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai already included an anime reference with Terry's alternate costumes. He's gonna take a step further with #AnimeRepresentation by including Brave Heart and Evolution in the soundtrack that comes with Agumon.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
So I was wondering the other day...do we know what the third parties actually get from the Smash deal with Nintendo, besides the obvious prestige? there's so many companies now that surely they all wouldn't get a cut of the profits would they?

We have no idea what licensing costs them or how each contract is worked out.

But even if they took a small percentage of profit, rather than sales, it would still be worthwhile. I don't think we're looking at more than 5% on the back end, plus more for merchandise. With DLC being separate from the main game and having a much different deal.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can see Ninja Gaiden continues to drive some of you mad. I wasn't even around yesterday, and Ninja Gaiden still drove some of you mad. So it definitely isn't just me, lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You clowns: Fire, Fire, Psycho Soldier!

Me, an intellectual, the working class hero:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I don't think a cut of the profit is that impossible, especially for the DLC, since it means each third party only would take a cut from their specific character rather than adding all up onto the base game.

Status
Not open for further replies.