• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
People kept asking for Smash Bros to have their system changes is pretty funny when Sakurai actually thought that his smash formulas was set in the stone but the newcomers are the one that would bring new styles or flavors to the battles.

Also Source if anyone cares.

Aug 12, 2019
I mean, there's going to be a few cuts for the next game. I think the licensing for some characters for the base game is really high, and they'll probably just come back as DLC (I imagine Hero would be one). And some characters just might not be worth the effort to bring back (Young Link, Greninja, Pichu probably Wolf again).

But they're not going to nuke the roster. The roster is what sells the game. Nobody cares if they include a 50 hour epic cinematic story mode but had to cut 30 characters for it. At the end of the day people remember Smash games for their rosters.

The only thing that makes up for roster cuts is a bigger roster.

Greninja is stupid popular though, so I think Greninja might legitimately survive any future purges for the roster (especially since Shiek will likely not make it and the ninja archetype will basically be wide open at that point).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Greninja is stupid popular though, so I think Greninja might legitimately survive any future purges for the roster (especially since Shiek will likely not make it and the ninja archetype will basically be wide open at that point).
Sheik's not going anywhere

Greninja isn't even technically a Pokemon anymore, who knows when the next time it even appears in a game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
People kept asking for Smash Bros to have their system changes is pretty funny when Sakurai actually thought that his smash formulas was set in the stone but the newcomers are the one that would bring new styles or flavors to the battles.

Also Source if anyone cares.

What would Sakurai know? That guy changed his mind on Ridley, so maybe he'll change his mind on the core mechanics of Smash six installments in ;)

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've noticed these things too and it hasn't stopped bugging me. The Mythra Spirit in particular is just such an odd case. I actually hadn't even thought to compare it to other Spirits like those Ouendan Cheerleaders and Great Fairy ones though, and yeah, putting them beside each other like that just makes it even more baffling. Why are those apparently all clear with CERO but Mythra is an issue? Like you said, it doesn't make any sense at all unless a 3D model was also being factored in. I definitely think something is—or at least was at some point—up with Xenoblade for Ultimate's DLC. Which is part of why I'm suspecting KOS-MOS so much now. Though I would absolutely love for it to be Rex instead. I feel like Rex was very strongly being considered for DLC early on, which may explain the lack of an online profile icon for him (which really sucks, 'cause that's the icon I'd probably be using if it existed...), his Mii Fighter outfit being DLC instead of in the base game like Nia's, and maybe even the weirdness with Mythra's Spirit as well. And like you, I still find it very strange that Rex's outfit is still only available exclusively as a bonus with the Fighters Pass. I just can't shake the feeling that something has to be up with all that... My best guess is that Rex was initially considered for DLC, but there were issues with implementing him and his Blades in a satisfactory way, and if that was the case it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo/Sakurai may have turned their attention to a related character (and one that has more history and reach than Rex) like KOS-MOS instead. Or, hell, maybe they're just specifically holding back any Xeno(blade) DLC content until later to coincide with Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition or something like that?

Oh, something definitely seems up. At the very least Rex is in the running for a potential DLC character. You'd think if Rex was completely ruled out they would have dumped all the XC2 content into the base game as they could and just leave it at that.

I'm probably one of the rare few that wants Rex and Pyra/Mythra, KOS-MOS, and Elma in equally. So I'd be thrilled with any of them. But I really do love Rex as a character and still think he's the most likely for now.

All of this + the complete lack of spirits for FE3H and Astral Chain makes me believe that we will start getting a decent amount of 1st party DLC after the Fighters Pass ends. But tbh I think im probably wrong and this is just another Smash Bros fan conspiracy that will inevitably be wrong, but I have hope. If I am right though and we get a bunch of first party characters I think we will get

1. Rex
  2. Byleth
  3. Akira Howard
  4. BotW 2 rep
  5. I have no idea (I dont even know if itll be a first party fighters pass).
i
I agree. could see any of those potentially happening, especially a BotW 2 rep. If the theory about playable Zelda is true, I could see it being her.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Pokemon has always been the punching bag for roster cuts in Smash. It's the series with the most turnover in the roster. It gets a bunch of characters but it also loses them

No Pokemon Melee newcomers came back for Brawl. Smash 4 cut half of Brawl's Pokemon newcomers and only brought Mewtwo back as DLC later. Pokemon cuts should be expected at this point. Greninja is probably the easiest Pokemon on the roster to just disappear the next game.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Also regard with characters' movesets, I'm perfectly fine with Kirby Samus and Ganondorf as they are in Ultimate.

I don't blame anyone for this but I had a vision or Joker to have a couple of persona like with Jack Frost and Arsene which would allows their special moves to be exchangeable or whatever it is. But it just ended up being Arsene and he's essentially always there but when Joker is in normal form, Arsene is just invisible tho.

I think it had to do with technical limitation or difficulties to have special moves being changed or something? so I'm pretty sure that they tried their best to make Joker as Persona represents. But honestly, Joker fell flat comparing to all DLC characters in term of movesets.

So his moveset is pretty much worse one out of all dlc characters (including smash 4) at the moment.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Can't be stupid if it's true. Greninja and Jigglypuff couldn't even make the cut in a mainline Pokemon game. They're gonners.
Please just stop with this bullshit borderline Dexiteer nonsense. It almost sounds like the sort of tripe people would drum up on Twitter between rounds of rage tweeting at dev accounts.

I'm just so damn tired.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
cutting Mewtwo in Brawl to make room for Sonic was the right choice, considering we got *four* new freaking pokémon to compensate for it

and I say this as someone who liked Mewtwo and thinks Sonic is gross

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing Greninja, they better fucking not cut him (they shouldn't cut anyone TBH).

I'm probably one of the rare few that wants Rex and Pyra/Mythra, KOS-MOS, and Elma in equally. So I'd be thrilled with any of them. But I really do love Rex as a character and still think he's the most likely for now.
Yes to all of this. Put all of them in, cowards.

uGZI9si.gif

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The toxic stuff around Sw/Sh kinda died down a lot once the game came out and it was actually a really fun Pokemon game with some of the strongest new designs of the series.

Seems like most of the complaints shifted over to the garbage story and mediocre online.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Alright I won't bring up game development anymore. Good luck to the next Smash director.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I guess you actually read every pages in pokemon threads? that would make sense why you are tired of it. I bailed out of pokemon threads once toxicity started. I just knew that it would just keep going on until it's ends.
I was in and out of them, as much as I was willing to take. I could unfortunately see the mountains of toxicity coming the moment E3 was over.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More poll times!

How many Smash characters disappoints you based on source material accuracy?
Little Mac is the most unfaithful character in the entire roster. The whole point of Little Mac in Punch-Out is that he defeats larger opponents by taking advantage of his size and speed to dodge and counterattack. In Smash, he's a straightforward bruiser. His personality is also completely off base since he's way too serious in Smash.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Little Mac is the most unfaithful character in the entire roster. The whole point of Little Mac in Punch-Out is that he defeats larger opponents by taking advantage of his size and speed to dodge and counterattack. In Smash, he's a straightforward bruiser. His personality is also completely off base since he's way too serious in Smash.
he also sounds like an anime samurai

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
basing Pokémon picks off of what survived SwSh's cull would be dumb

Sakurai needs to think ahead and seriously consider the future of the series - who's going to be culled in the DP remakes?

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I won't bring up game development anymore. Good luck to the next Smash director.

Yeah, some people are touchy about potential characters cut. I wouldn't deny that I wouldn't looking forward to see some cuts but thankfully Ultimate is going to be my last Smash Bros game. (at least that's how I feel right now)

Unless Sakurai decided to port the game for next console without any cut and trying to hit 100 characters then I'm in for that. At the moment, I find it very unlikely.

>.>

I was in and out of them, as much as I was willing to take. I could unfortunately see the mountains of toxicity coming the moment E3 was over.

Yeah, I was devastated with National Dex being cut so I already spoke my disappointment about this case rather than just dragging it too long and spread more toxicity. That's not for me.

I'm still planning to pick up Swords someday but not right now.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
basing Pokémon picks off of what survived SwSh's cull would be dumb

Sakurai needs to think ahead and seriously consider the future of the series - who's going to be culled in the DP remakes?
That's why Rillaboom isn't playable right now.

Sakurai had the option to shadow drop him in on November 15th but looked in his crystal ball and realized he wasn't long for this world.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just didn't see any point in buying a new Pokemon game that was a massive downgrade in every way.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
So in a desperate attempt to change the thread from its current trajectory, do we know what the largest fighting game roster is of all time not including moveset clones?

I know Tobal 2 is at 200 but I don't know how many of those are just reskins of other characters.

I'm curious how close Smash is to reaching it.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
It was for me personally. Story much worse than the previous generation, too easy, short if you don't bother with the wild area, abysmal post game, and online battles sucking due to dynamxing and the 20m time limit. That ain't even including the dexit nonsense and graphical problems. Kinda stopped playing after the main campain because I don't feel the need to catch stuff since they may not matter.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, cut it out, GameFreak has protected developer status, no flippant comments about Pokemon being cut are allowed.
Oh yeah I forgot we're not allowed to say anything bad about GF because.......reasons.

Well it's ok. Even when Greninja is cut next game he might possibly eventually could be maybe chosen to be included in a hypothetical future Smash game somewhere down the line if they feel like it. Just gotta keep hoping!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So in a desperate attempt to change the thread from its current trajectory, do we know what the largest fighting game roster is of all time not including moveset clones?

I know Tobal 2 is at 200 but I don't know how many of those are just reskins of other characters.

Akira Toriyama is great at being involved with fighting games with large rosters with a lot of moveset clones.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Too Serious? I always written it off as too focused on his opponents in Smash Bros. But he usually show his happy side when he's done with the battles like victory poses in Punch Out Wii, etc. If you want to have goofy animation and personalities from Punch-Out then you are better off asking for opponents in that game like King Hippo.

But I like his moveset since he feel like a boxer but it don't accurately match up with what he does in Punch Out. However I can imagine how hard it would make his moveset to be more accurate with Punch-Out so it's probably best as he could done with Little Mac. It's pretty much anime boxer in Smash Bros like Ippo.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

If we are discussing seriously about that. I wouldn't even count DBZ or Tobal or Naruto games tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.