• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
KOS-MOS is a pretty cool character, and it'd be cool to see them in Smash.

please help me, I'm being held at backwards chest knife-point

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Smh, why did nobody post this fake here? Would've helped to set discussion straight when things went off the rails yesterday.

78943856_556625845128167_1204634173571072000_n-jpg.249665

That is evil

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I mean, she was trying to hide from Dorf, and a male Sheikah warrior throws him off her trail more than a female one.

Are we seriously having Shiek gender arguments in 2019 though?
Ganondorf is a smart guy who knows how magic works. If he were suspicious that Zelda might have magically changed her race it wouldn't be the gender that would throw him off the trail.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The mustache comparison doesn't hold because we can't say that Smash Sheik (post Brawl) is still Zelda in disguise. Smash characters aren't really fleshed out characters imo. I guess the official documentation is all one can go with in that point, though.

Ehhh.
Smash Sheik is referred to as "she" as well, in any and all games, from Melee to Ultimate, even though Ultimate Sheik has gone back to supremely androgynous with the body shape (Smash 4 Sheik had more pronounced breasts iirc). In Smash's case the situation is a lot more cut and dry because of that. Like, you can make arguments about OoT Sheik because of various sources, but for Smash? It's pretty clearly established.

Mind you, I would love if the Zelda/Sheik dichotomy was used to explore trans/non-binary or genderfluid identities, but even if Nintendo was progressive enough to do that in one of their flagship franchises (lolasif), I wouldn't trust them doing it tastefully enough. Which is a shame, because it's just such a perfect opportunity. Ah well.

He's clearly under her dress.

Dammit I was gonna say that. :|

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Smash Sheik is referred to as "she" as well, in any and all games, from Melee to Ultimate, even though Ultimate Sheik has gone back to supremely androgynous with the body shape (Smash 4 Sheik had more pronounced breasts iirc). In Smash's case the situation is a lot more cut and dry because of that. Like, you can make arguments about OoT Sheik because of various sources, but for Smash? It's pretty clearly established.
Yeah, I basically said that's all we can go by. Point still stands about her not being explicitly Zelda, even if it's a moot point.

Byleth is going to be Pokemon Trainer 2.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me still can't get over that Zelda's name for her disguise as a Sheikah warrior is just Sheik.

Please tell me that Sheik is a Sheikah title and she didn't just give her OC literally the same name as her race.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
What sucks about Byleth being a possibility is that Azura wasn't that much more interesting than Corrin anyway, so it wasn't a big deal that we got Corrin over her, but Byleth would just flat out be a way worse inclusion than ANY of the three other lords from Three Houses.

Mar 9, 2018
Steven Universe is joining Brawlhalla.

Undertale is in Smash Bros and will be in Smash Bros again in the future. (Mii Gunner also belongs to Undertale)

Things are happening. We -- me and the others -- are winning. You can't stop us. You will become us.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I basically said that's all we can go by. Point still stands about her not being explicitly Zelda, even if it's a moot point.

Trophy description in Melee:
This is Zelda's alter ego. [...] It's believed that she's not just a quick-change artist, but rather that she is able to instantaneously alter her clothing and her eye and skin color by using her magical skills.

Brawl:
The persona Zelda adopted to escape from Ganondorf. She completely hid all traces of her Zelda identity and appeared to Link as the last member of the Sheikah tribe.

4 (same for both 3DS/WiiU):
In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Sheik claimed to be a surviving Sheikah. However, this was just a cunning disguise for Princess Zelda so that she could escape Ganondorf.

Origin description in Ultimate's Fighter tips:
Sheik first appeared in the 1998 N64 title The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Her true identity is Ze— I won't spoil it for you.

Seems pretty explicit to me.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I see you guys had an ARMS argument both while I was asleep & while I was taking two of my finals.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me still can't get over that Zelda's name for her disguise as a Sheikah warrior is just Sheik.

Please tell me that Sheik is a Sheikah title and she didn't just give her OC literally the same name as her race.

You know how white kids use Japanese honorifics if they get too into anime? Sheik is basically that.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Oh, a new physical Doom collection was announced (or leaked, I really can't tell)?

EK7aRmMU4AAp5rc

And it releases the day after The Game Awards? What great timing for Doom Slayer's Smash reveal! /s

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Seems pretty explicit to me.
One could argue that the Ultimate description refers to OoT Sheik, which I won't. But good catch.
What sucks about Byleth being a possibility is that Azura wasn't that much more interesting than Corrin anyway, so it wasn't a big deal that we got Corrin over her, but Byleth would just flat out be a way worse inclusion than ANY of the three other lords from Three Houses.
Why not both?
g2dOMrd.png

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
None of the students have Byleth's time powers or magic whip-sword. :P

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Also stop holding MonadoMega hostage to use that avatar. It's not right
huh?

Is it coming to Switch? Because I'd totally buy a physical copy of the Doom games, despite already own Doom digitally on Switch and Doom 2016 on PC.
I'm not sure. One retailer that has the game up only has the PS4 version, while Game UK has PS4 and Xbox One available. It'd be pretty dumb for it to skip the Switch, considering that the four games included are already on the system.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.