• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
We're going to get Reimu at the game awards, to the shock and confusion of the audience, both live in person and watching online.
I'm thinking about it this way: it'd be really fun to reveal a character like Reimu at a western-oriented show

but at the same time, I don't want to waste our chance at getting a hype theatre audience reaction instead.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So I think it might finally be dead now. Here's a Mii hat modded in that still allows for the Mii to emote.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize it this.

But apparently only 4 characters have received the Smash invitation letter; Joker, Terry, Isabelle and Villager.

For some reason. I thought it was used more often lol. Then again. 3 in Ultimate compared to the only 1 in Smash 4

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't get why people have weird rules about what can and cannot show up at the Game Awards. It's not like it was in the Spike days. The majority of people watching are just videogame nerds like the rest of us. There is no indication that a certain character wouldn't be shown at the VGAs because of the audience but even if a character isn't a hit with everyone, who cares? The Nintendo audience is watching so they'll be excited plus you have an expanded audience who might or might not be interested in Smash. The alternative is just showing them off in a Nintendo Direct which is only being shown to Nintendo fans. So harm would it do to show off a character, no matter who it was, at the Game Awards?

I think it's just the expectation that if they are showing a Smash character in a non-Nintendo stream, they are significant in some way, like how they always treat E3 reveals (or at least, they have at least one E3 reveal that is special in some way).

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I think it's just the expectation that if they are showing a Smash character in a non-Nintendo stream, they are significant in some way, like how they always treat E3 reveals (or at least, they have at least one E3 reveal that is special in some way).

remember when their big reveal for E3 was Palutena and they showed Pac-Man only to people behind closed doors

giphy.gif

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget Ken! We need to see if the damage matches!
Honestly the fact Ken didn't get any changes in the patch is very suspect as I'd imagine the test build would be using the current patch's balancing. Plus people have pointed out that Ken could still get those damage values in the actual game but is infrequent because Ken Shoryuken is a mess of hitboxes.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
remember when their big reveal for E3 was Palutena and they showed Pac-Man only to people behind closed doors

giphy.gif
The Palutena part makes sense; they revealed the Mii Fighters and Palutena together because they both relied on Custom Specials as a major gimmick. They put out a page on the site about Custom Specials featuring both of them right after the E3 Direct.

Pac-Man being revealed behind closed doors was really dumb though.

Aug 12, 2019

giphy.gif

I think they did it to emphasize the big new "mechanics" of Smash for Wii U/3DS. Palutena was the character that revealed the existence of custom moves and Mii's paired extremely well with that pushing the customization angle that Smash 4 really leaned heavily into.

That said, this was also Nintendo at a time when they weren't exactly firing on all cylinders marketing wise, so it doesn't surprise me that they chose these "mechanics" over Pac-Man...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Pac-Man should have been revealed at the end of the E3 tournament that year. I have no idea why they handled it that way.

They've obviously learned since then though.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
The Palutena part makes sense; they revealed the Mii Fighters and Palutena together because they both relied on Custom Specials as a major gimmick. They put out a page on the site about Custom Specials featuring both of them right after the E3 Direct.

Pac-Man being revealed behind closed doors was really dumb though.
I think they did it to emphasize the big new "mechanics" of Smash for Wii U/3DS. Palutena was the character that revealed the existence of custom moves and Mii's paired extremely well with that pushing the customization angle that Smash 4 really leaned heavily into.

That said, this was also Nintendo at a time when they weren't exactly firing on all cylinders marketing wise, so it doesn't surprise me that they chose these "mechanics" over Pac-Man...

I mean yea I get the logic but Pac-Man was literally a megaton announcement just as much as Mega Man was. That should have undercut everything else they shown. The only blunder that comes close to this is Nintendo revealing Samus Returns in a Treehouse stream after their E3 presentation where most missed it and not after the Prime 4 reveal.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Dammit, I just remembered the thought of Music.. If Scorpion was to get in, we'd get some actual great remixes.

GIVE ME A REMIX OF TEMPLE/CHURCH FROM MK3

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I always did maintain that Hero (or "Erdrick" as we called him back then) would of been a really terrible E3 reveal by himself. They definitely made the wise choice to pair him/them up with Banjo & Kazooie.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

The conclusion of the Season 1 Fighter Pass is significant, no matter who is the final character. And since Smash is eligible for awards this year, the reveal can coincide with that. I don't know if they will show the character at the show but like I said, Nintendo's decision will not be dependent on who the actual fighter is.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I really wonder what Sakurai would go for with Doom Slayer's reveal trailer.

They can't pull one of those "you think it's this game, but it's actually Smash!" trailers because the lack of anything super violent would give it away.

The trailer continuation idea that got thrown around after Banjo's reveal isn't going to happen; but a twist on Ridley's trailer with the Slayer brutally taking out Bowser and Dark Samus before showing himself in front of Ridley could be super fun.

They'd probably just come up with something super unique that no one else would've though; like Terry.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I always did maintain that Hero (or "Erdrick" as we called him back then) would of been a really terrible E3 reveal by himself. They definitely made the wise choice to pair him/them up with Banjo & Kazooie.

"Erdrick is hype enough for E3 by himself" my butt. Nintendo knew what they were doing.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I really wonder what Sakurai would go for with Doom Slayer's reveal trailer.

They can't pull one of those "you think it's this game, but it's actually Smash!" trailers because the lack of anything super violent would give it away.

The trailer continuation idea that got thrown around after Banjo's reveal isn't going to happen; but a twist on Ridley's trailer with the Slayer brutally taking out Bowser and Dark Samus before showing himself in front of Ridley could be super fun.

They'd probably just come up with something super unique that no one else would've though; like Terry.

The trailer needs to be a cinematic retelling of the Doom boxart.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I really like Hero. Super fun and one of the 2 DLC character I actually like to play from the Fighter Pass.

But he has the weakest trailer out of the DLC cast so far. I mean, it's really good CG and made, but it feels more by the book.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before, Doom Slayer's trailer needs to be a crossover with the Kid Icarus gang.

Both Pit and Doom Slayer fight demons from the Underworld/Hell, after all.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Play the first 1 minute as this for the reveal trailer lol.

A doom trailer would probably work better not knowing it's Doom at all.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Demon/Occult type characters for Doom Slayer to "slay" in his reveal would be like Bowser, Bayonetta, Ridley, Dark Samus, Ganondorf and Wii Fit the creepy mannequin possessed by the fitness devil.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017

So I think it might finally be dead now. Here's a Mii hat modded in that still allows for the Mii to emote.

I wouldn't say that it makes it dead, but it does mean it can be faked. But, while maybe I'm not fully understanding the modding scene, but if Mii hat modding in Ultiamte really wasn't a viable thing, its interesting how much spurring people on to push it through.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It should Doom fighting through Demons, making it look like it's actually Doom Eternal.
Intensity ramping up, scarier monsters until a last Demon reminds.

And that "Demon" turns out to be Kirby lol

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
It should Doom fighting through Demons, making it look like it's actually Doom Eternal.
Intensity ramping up, scarier monsters until a last Demon reminds.

And that "Demon" turns out to be Kirby lol

Doom is supposed to be a game that makes you feel powerful.

Nothing feels powerful when going up against Kirby.

Edit: Canonically. Not in Smash, lol

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize it this.

But apparently only 4 characters have received the Smash invitation letter; Joker, Terry, Isabelle and Villager.

For some reason. I thought it was used more often lol. Then again. 3 in Ultimate compared to the only 1 in Smash 4

It's hilarious with the fact that there is a guy that received the invitation letter but isn't in Smash Bros. That guy is Colonel Roy Campbell. (Because he opened it for Solid Snake.)

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't make anything dead. Just because someone proved (a week later) that something like it could technically be mod-able (and with that specific objective in mind) doesn't mean what we saw was actually modded.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't make anything dead. Just because someone proved (a week later) that something like it could technically be mod-able (and with that specific objective in mind) doesn't mean what we saw was actually modded.
And for those that were claiming modding a Mii hat like this would be impossible, well, this shoots that argument down.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure but it's just another piece on the "able to be faithfully recreated in a mod and pretty quickly" table. Whether or not it's real there's nothing in the video that's definitive proof of it being a debug video played by an actual Nintendo employee.

And the discussion's gotten tired, everyone's made clear whether they trust it or not, and unless we get some amazing new piece of evidence nothing's going to change.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
The only difficult part of doing the Mii costume mod according to that guy was the texture size apparently and the "leak" in question is low quality offscreen footage. Makes you think huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.