• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
You guys can continue going around in circles....
Or you can follow the true path from my prophetic dream from last night.

Where challenger 5 was revealed to be John from Super Tennis, in a reveal trailer where his silhouette beats out other competitors from a punch out style perspective including the harvest moon guy for some reason (who tries smacking the ball back with a watering can?).

The worst part was JOHN didn't even have alts for other characters in super tennis, thus we were all very upset at this reveal.

As a result I just loaded up super tennis on switch, John is indeed a character though the smash version lacked his beard, almost as if my subconscious can't remember shit about the generic roster.
Though the game holds up surprisingly well, maybe it is smash worthy after all, no existing spirits are holding them back!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You guys can continue going around in circles....
Or you can follow the true path from my prophetic dream from last night.

Where challenger 5 was revealed to be John from Super Tennis, in a reveal trailer where his silhouette beats out other competitors from a punch out style perspective including the harvest moon guy for some reason (who tries smacking the ball back with a watering can?).

The worst part was JOHN didn't even have alts for other characters in super tennis, thus we were all very upset at this reveal.

As a result I just loaded up super tennis on switch, John is indeed a character though the smash version lacked his beard, almost as if my subconscious can't remember shit about the generic roster.
Though the game holds up surprisingly well, maybe it is smash worthy after all, no existing spirits are holding them back!

I had a dream last night that Boxboy got in as #5 and I'm pretty sure it was triggered by the new Nintendo IP surfacing.

I woke up so sure it was real, I was dreading opening ResetERA and seeing the reactions.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
If neither Geno nor Doom Slayer, it must be Dante.

giphy.gif

Hell yeah, and he's going to come with 40 different special moves baby!

Every motion inputs in existence plus button combination.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
VGAs are at 12.12? Hmm I feel like pre-VGA December 1 Year anniversary Smash announcement video for Fighters 5 + 6 might be possible.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Logistically speaking I feel that if Character 5 turned out to be neither Doomguy or Geno, then the Mii leak probably wouldn't have much meat to it. We're talking a whole bunch of advanced foresight considering the Mallow text leak was already back in July. There's been a whole lot of costumes since then, and I somehow doubt they'd all been worked on that early when they still have other costumes to make.

In fact I think it's better most supporters of those characters hope the leak isn't real at this point because if character 5 comes and it's neither, we're looking at a strong possibility that at least one of the two costumes are just that - costumes.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
VGAs are at 12.12? Hmm I feel like pre-VGA December 1 Year anniversary Smash announcement video for Fighters 5 + 6 might be possible.

I really don't think they are going to rush to announce post-Pass characters. They can take their sweet time dishing out these announcements and releases. The absolute earliest I can see #6 being announced is in #5's breakdown video, and even that's probably a stretch. More likely in the February/March Direct.

The main exception is E3 because it helps generate hype to have multiple reveals. (Also, anybody who thought Hero was enough for a North American event was kidding themselves.)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we're getting post-fighter pass announcements this year, especially not a second one at TGAs where they're going to be at a timetable.

In as much as characters have been worked on concurrently, I get the sense that E3 was an outlier in terms of the way Nintendo handled character announcements. By the time Smash released, Joker and Hero had already been entered into the game as parameters, meaning there was an extremely abnormally long gap between Joker's initial announcement, as well as Hero's eventual reveal. In real-time, seven whole months had gone without us knowing anything other than Joker, and since Nintendo were still expecting to release four more characters between June and February, they had to expedite things. It made sense for Banjo and Hero to be revealed at the same presentation, especially one they had full control over.

But now, the pace has kind of normalized a bit. Instead of a seven month gap, it took three months until Terry was confirmed. When Character 5 drops, it's going to be a gaining a whole lot of mindshare, and we've arguably seen now that Nintendo may be sequestering certain reveals to give a little more space for each character to breathe and be allowed to be the "center of attention" as it were. Character 6 probably only went into development around late September/early October, so I think they're going to be holding onto that one for a while. They're in no real rush to reveal them, the pace has normalized for the time being.

Anyway, I still think there's a decent possibility that the next reveal will be handled outside of TGAs. I can see them having a short "Smash Bros Ultimate 1st Anniversary Stream", maybe about 15 minutes long, where Sakurai talks about the game up til this point, goes into detail on future Amiibo, future plans for the second wave, and then caps it off with revealing character 5. I imagine that'd be the week before TGA, which would be exactly a year after Smash launched. That way they can have a controlled environment where they talk about what post-Fighter Pass is going to look like for Smash, and give it a little more heft + attention rather than the expedited slots the game occupies in regular Nintendo Directs these days.

Then they can go in with their heads held high at the next first-half-of-year Direct (likely January or February), and have Character 6's trailer drop; no muss, no fuss.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that Mii Hat proved to have more jiggle than the actual footage, which I'm still convinced is just people placeboing the shit out of something that's not there.

At this point the mods might have actually outdid the footage and that's hilarious to me.

It's not. It is irrelevant to the video's credibility. It showed us modding something like this is possible (after, at the time, people thought it wasn't). Okay. But that doesn't matter.

I don't know how this myth got out of hand so hard. The moment the Mii leak popped up, we had several modders clarifying to people who reported on it like PushDustin asserting that the Mii modding is perfectly possible. The fact that it's hard to do got spun as an impossibility and people spread that misinfo like wildfire to push the notion that it's a legitimate leak (I've seen wildvine47's Era post all over the damn internet anytime the conversation about the footage pops up). Modding was already figured out when that leak broke, or else we wouldn't have had a Doom Helmet mod the day after that leak happened.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I'd feel about Lloyd in this pass. I don't think he's all too likely.

That's three out of five characters that are JRPG oriented. I think we're already covered in that regard (Dragon Quest as the old-guard, Persona as the modern day), and I feel like so far the Fighters Pass values variance a lot and many different kinds of players spanning different genres and generations.

I think fighter 5 is going to be an action game rep. Or a puzzle rep (let's go Arle).

SapphireZora

Mar 14, 2018
I don't know how I'd feel about Lloyd in this pass. I don't think he's all too likely.

That's three out of five characters that are JRPG oriented. I think we're already covered in that regard (Dragon Quest as the old-guard, Persona as the modern day), and I feel like so far the Fighters Pass values variance a lot and many different kinds of players spanning different genres and generations.

I think fighter 5 is going to be an action game rep. Or a puzzle rep (let's go Arle).
In regards to spanning generations, one could point to Hero as NES era, Terry as SNES era, Banjo-Kazooie as N64 era, and Joker as Wii U/Switch era, which could leave an opening for a Gamecube/Wii era fighter...

Lloyd would fit the bill perfectly. As would Sora. Even Phoenix Wright from the GBA/DS era would fit, which is essentially the same as GC/Wii. :)

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see Arle, but I think we kinda already have our SEGA rep through Joker (even brought back the Tails and Knuckles Mii outfits with him). I think we may have to wait until the DLC after the FP to see her. Likewise, I think re-releasing some of the Mega Man outfits alongside Banjo may of shot down the chances of a new Capcom character this time around.

I get the feeling the last FP character may be someone from Namco, considering the complete dearth of Mii outfits or content in general from them.

Let's go, Heihachi

XOr13GB.png

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to spanning generations, one could point to Hero as NES era, Terry as SNES era, Banjo-Kazooie as N64 era, and Joker as Wii U/Switch era, which could leave an opening for a Gamecube/Wii era fighter...

Lloyd would fit the bill perfectly. As would Sora. Even Phoenix Wright from the GBA/DS era would fit, which is essentially the same as GC/Wii. :)
Oh hey, Haruka Amami fits that era too.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Just a random thought - does the mai comments from sakurai makes anyone reconsider 2B's odds? Its true that she walks around in a leotard but i feel that its not hard to make some amendments to her outfit (think pants inclusion + more coverup. Of course, i'm still curious about your thoughts on this.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Nintendo care about console generation specifics, I'm strictly speaking overall generations of players. If you were one of the people growing up with Tales Of, there's a strong chance that you're of the same age generation that's within the proximity of Final Fantasy's presence. Conversely I imagine there's a whole lot less generational overlap between Dragon Quest and Persona, a fact that's as clear as day by looking at the way both games handle presentation.

And again, assuming those are specifics they care that much about, that still doesn't have much bearing on the other point where I'm pretty confident Nintendo don't want to oversaturate representatives of a certain type of game, because RPG fans aren't the only ones who play Smash.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Just a random thought - does the mai comments from sakurai makes anyone reconsider 2B's odds? Its true that she walks around in a leotard but i feel that its not hard to make some amendments to her outfit (think pants inclusion + more coverup. Of course, i'm still curious about your thoughts on this.
They could easily just close up that one gap in her skirt and then do the ol' black out underneath it.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly don't think the Mai issue really hurts 2B's odds. Like what's been echoed in this thread before, Mai was probably just a case of them not wanting to go through the effort of touching up a design for a character that would only make a minor cameo anyways.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Not at all, Mai is on another level.

2B would be fine, not that it would ever be her.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only "problem" in depicting 2B is likely the thigh area - the same problem Palutena had - and the small breast window. They can get around the former by pulling the slit of the dress further down, and the latter by just covering it up completely or making the dress have a lighter piece of fabric in that area. Getting her to conform to age ratings would probably not be all that difficult.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because it's possible to fake doesn't mean it is.

Although at this point all it has going for it is the quality of the models...

Are the models even that high quality, though? It's not like we got direct footage. We got one screenshot and some off-screen video.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Dare I say that I've always felt the Mallow hat in the so called leak looks a bit off. But it's hard to judge when you have barely any official art to compare it to.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dare I say that I've always felt the Mallow hat in the so called leak looks a bit off. But it's hard to judge when you have barely any official art to compare it to.

Mallow's only got the one SMRPG render. The Mii hat looks about like you'd think Mallow would look in an HD game.

Cacodemon being clearly based off of the classic Doom sprite and having some touch ups to make it look E10+ meant a lot more to the rumour's credibility, I think.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I don't believe Sabi at all; but if Hayabusa is out of the 5th spot, I'll put money on Heihachi's chances then.

Crash is a too good of a scenario for me, so I won't allow me to get excited (I prefer to expect him later in the next wave); Doomguy or Geno I have no opinion on their chances

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Tbh I don't think any of the frequently talked about Bamco reps are more likely than the other. Tekken's got the fighting history, Tales with rpgs, Souls defining this past decade, and even KOS-MOS has Xenoblade making her relevant.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I am up for Heihachi but I feel like they should space out the input fighting game characters in the DLC.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Pac-Man's taunt is still suspicious. Why include Heihachi when you considering him for DLC? Why exclude Haruka when she represents their more modern arcade game output (The Prince and Don sprites show they're happy to include series from the 00s)? And yes, she does have an official "old school" sprite to use.

JdiamVw.png

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I am up for Heihachi but I feel like they should space out the input fighting game characters in the DLC.
I don't think it's all necessarily that they're fighting game characters

But rather, they're are similar characters. All buff male fighters, who style of fighting isn't the most exciting style.

Terry
Ken
Ryu and
Heihachi

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, bit odd to say Terry's style isn't exciting after all the love he's been given since release.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
How strong is the belief that we're not getting the Heihachi Mii costume because he's coming in the next fighters pass?

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
I don't expect any FP2 talk til next year but I also don't think character 6 will come any later than April. They probably wanna keep the ball rolling on their release schedule since the dev team is on loan from Bandai Namco and they probably want their guys back to work on other stuff at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.