• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know a part of me wishes Joker had leaked. Like imagine with no context this image leaking online a few weeks before the game awards.
Screen-Shot-2019-04-05-at-5.48.22-PM-e1554511725632.png

How much "this is so fake and never gonna happen" do you think we'd get?

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
You know a part of me wishes Joker had leaked. Like imagine with no context this image leaking online a few weeks before the game awards.
Screen-Shot-2019-04-05-at-5.48.22-PM-e1554511725632.png

How much "this is so fake and never gonna happen" do you think we'd get?
Every reveal is better as a surprise. I still wish we didn't get that Banjo "hint" leak.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every reveal is better as a surprise. I still wish we didn't get that Banjo "hint" leak.
Oh don't get me wrong Joker was the greatest surprise ever, especially with all the later leaks(my Last Surprise one might even say).

But I'm so curious how people would respond to the idea if a leak happend.

I'd expect a lot of "he'd never get in before Jack Frost."

Aug 12, 2019
Lloyd is missing too so I just think it's another Namco character.

I still think it would have made more sense to include Heihachi with all of the other fighting game related stuff. I find his absence much stranger with regards to that then I would have say if he had been missing with a hypothetical Lloyd. If he's not with a Bandai-Namco character though, we can start officially ringing the alarm bells haha.

Another aside tangent, why do people doubt 2B so much? She's remarkably similar to Joker in a lot of circumstances, including becoming a recent gaming icon and coming from a series that was previously more niche but broke out big time with her title, and she even has Sakurai's approval since he spoke so highly of Nier Automata and Drakengard too. And she specifically originates from a fairly notable Japanese developer (Yako Taro) that currently doesn't have anything in Smash and would easily fit with Sakurai's "museum of Japanese gaming." I feel like she's being seriously overlooked as a real contender for Smash.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think it would have made more sense to include Heihachi with all of the other fighting game related stuff. I find his absence much stranger with regards to that then I would have say if he had been missing with a hypothetical Lloyd. If he's not with a Bandai-Namco character though, we can start officially ringing the alarm bells haha.

Another aside tangent, why do people doubt 2B so much? She's remarkably similar to Joker in a lot of circumstances, including becoming a recent gaming icon and coming from a series that was previously more niche but broke out big time with her title, and she even has Sakurai's approval since he spoke so highly of Nier Automata and Drakengard too. And she specifically originates from a fairly notable Japanese developer (Yako Taro) that currently doesn't have anything in Smash and would easily fit with Sakurai's "museum of Japanese gaming." I feel like she's being seriously overlooked as a real contender for Smash.
I imagine Square is the thorn in a lot of peoples sides there.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

I think the one "problem" with 2B (other than issues with SE) is the fact that the Nier series doesn't really have a history with Nintendo at all. None of its mainline installments have been on any Nintendo consoles.

At least...not yet.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
It's the character design. I personally am loathe to hear the whining that would happen when they "censored" her and you know it would happen.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It's the character design. I personally am loathe to hear the whining that would happen when they "censored" her and you know it would happen.

Nobody cared when they edited female Corrin or Bayonetta's outfits. Lengthening 2B's skirt or whatever isn't going to cause a huge internet schism.

Persona?

That at least had its connection to SMT and the Q spinoff games. Nier has literally nothing AFAIK.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's been a few Persona branded games on 3DS and now Switch, although admittedly they're spinoffs.

I guess one could also make the argument that Persona is a spinoff of SMT, which does have Nintendo history.
The spin-off argument is fair but I really don't buy using SMT considering it isn't represented at all in the game. Everything shown in Smash besides the magic is all Persona original.

Plus someone even posted earlier their officially considered separate franchises by the company now.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like Terry is gonna be one of those characters that (crack) shoots up the tier list after a couple of patch's worth of buffs

He seems pretty decent but feels like he could be significantly better

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
You can tell that the Gamexplain guys don't know much about current Ninja Gaiden. If you were to ask the average person, they probably more likely to recognize Ryu from Ninja Gaiden on Xbox as opposed to on NES.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
So it's not Hayabusa, Geno, Doomguy or Crash.

We still have plenty of options taking those 4 off the table. Resident Evil, Pokemon, Assassin's Creed, Phoenix Wright, DMC, Assassin's Creed, Tales, Tekken, Rayman, Astral Chain, Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed, other Mario characters because Toad and Pauline aren't in yet.

Plenty of games to choose from I didn't even list.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gamexplain's discussion sort of reminded me that one of the arguments people proposed for Arle - or Sega in general - not being repped because Sonic already got Mii Costumes is that the same arguably applies for people expecting a Capcom rep. We already got Mega Man costumes.

If I'm being completely real I don't think any company rep getting Mii costumes early discounts them as a potential rep. I think the Sonic costumes only showed up early because they basically just had to up-port them which was easy work rather than making new ones.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Gamexplain's discussion sort of reminded me that one of the arguments people proposed for Arle - or Sega in general - not being repped because Sonic already got Mii Costumes is that the same arguably applies for people expecting a Capcom rep. We already got Mega Man costumes.

If I'm being completely real I don't think any company rep getting Mii costumes early discounts them as a potential rep. I think the Sonic costumes only showed up early because they basically just had to up-port them which was easy work rather than making new ones.
Joker is a Sega rep

Aug 12, 2019
I imagine Square is the thorn in a lot of peoples sides there.

Square Enix have honestly been one of the most cooperative developers of this DLC season. I mean besides the music situation which we have to blame on Sugiyama's pride expensive ass licensing for his music, it's a quite respectable amount of content with the most DLC Spirits of any company and the entire 4 different alts that are otherwise not allowed to be together sort of speaks for itself.

I know people want to screech a bit about Square Enix as this uncooperative entity because they didn't give Sakurai the keys to the treasure trove of Final Fantasy music and Spirits, but they've been seemingly extremely cooperative in the areas that it really matters most. Even the "two song rule" is some bullshit that fans have concocted up based upon the fact that they wanted to give each alt of Hero equal musical representation (and the total falls completely in line with Joker and Banjo & Kazooie, with Terry and his SNK content being the complete outlier here) and not some sort of "Sakurai got around the two songs per game rule by including 4 alts" when in reality Square Enix were the ones to propose 4 alts.

I dunno, I just have gotten annoyed with how quickly fans jump on Square Enix when they've been absolutely front and present with Cloud and Hero in the major ways for the game and their music situation is mostly in the hands of composers that are known for being prideful and expensive people to work with for musical rights outside of Smash too. The only real knock against them is the lack of Final Fantasy Spirits in base game Ultimate, but again, the three companies that didn't get new characters got very little in terms of base game while Konami and Capcom got an absolute metric ton of content.

I expect 2B would be in a much better position music and licensing wise.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely wouldn't put so much stock in the missing Heihachi costume if we weren't also still missing Lloyd and Gil

that's way suspicious

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think we could get a new Sega rep in Season 2, but I don't think we'll see them as Character 5.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Oh don't get me wrong Joker was the greatest surprise ever, especially with all the later leaks(my Last Surprise one might even say).

But I'm so curious how people would respond to the idea if a leak happend.

I'd expect a lot of "he'd never get in before Jack Frost."

If by greatest you mean most disappointing, then sure

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are you supposed to KO with Terry? I find myself racking up really high percentages and only killing with Power Geyser and Buster Wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.