• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Since Bandai Namco rep discussions always get brought up around here, maybe we should start making lists by want and likelihood?

Most Wanted
  1. The Prince of All Cosmos - Katamari
  2. Yoshimitsu - Tekken / Soulcalibur
  3. Chosen Undead - Dark Souls
  4. Don-Chan - Taiko no Tatsujin
  5. Klonoa - Klonoa
  6. KOS-MOS - Xenosaga
  7. Nightmare - Soulcalibur
  8. Agumon - Digital Monster
  9. Mametchi - Tamagotchi
  10. Heihachi - Tekken
Most Expected
  1. Lloyd - Tales
  2. Chosen Undead - Dark Souls
  3. Heihachi - Tekken (Alternatively; Kazuya or Jin)
  4. KOS-MOS - Xenosaga
  5. Nightmare - Soulcalibur
  6. The Prince of All Cosmos - Katamari
  7. Agumon - Digital Monster
  8. ... I honestly can't see anyone else happening before the characters in this bunch; sorry Klonoa!
I see Dark Souls, Lloyd, or KOS-MOS as the most likely ones. Before Terry, I would have ranked Heihachi at top and Soulcalibur higher. Feel that another fighter right after Terry ain't happening. Might be fuctionally too similar unless there's another way to differentiate them.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What has she said that is remotely concrete and worth humoring since E3 though? It's all been vague gestures or piggybacks.
She did call Terry. Even then she hasn't had a major loss it's like saying Vergeben isn't worth listening during base game speculation when he briefly said K Rool wasn't in and then ended up walking back the claim.

Whether or not you want to take what she says seriously is one thing but she's not exactly untrustworthy either. She's just not on the same level as say Emily Rogers who once upon a time was in a very similar position to Sabi. Then she learned to shut up and only talk about insider stuff sparingly and now she's considered one of the more reliable insiders.

The problem with Sabi is that she doesn't know when to shut the fuck up and spends too much time gossiping. She's spent more time "deconfirming" characters then she has giving any leads on what the DLC could be. In that regard it could be frustrating listening to her because she doesn't really have anything of substance to say right now

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will stan Lloyd to the end. Other great runner-ups for Namco include KOS-MOS, Klonoa and Heihachi.

Also I still trust Sabi and Verge. They themselves don't know much, but they clearly are in touch with people that do (i.e. folks like VR Plant).

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Random thing I noticed: The composers who did B-K remixes not affiliated with Bandai-Namco or noisycroak (or who are named Grant Kirkhope) - Masafumi Takada, Yoko Shimomura, and Michiko Naruke - all worked on SNK remixes as well, and have all been contributing to Smash soundtracks since Brawl. Noriyuki Iwadare, Yusuke Takahama, and Yuzo Koshiro, composers not affiliated with Bandai-Namco or noisycroak who also contributed SNK remixes, have been contributing to Smash soundtracks since Brawl as well.
Oh, here's another fun factoid: Each of these composers has done two remixes for Ultimate DLC thus far. Those in the former group contributed one Banjo-Kazooie remix and one SNK remix each, while those in the latter group each contributed two SNK remixes.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I see Dark Souls, Lloyd, or KOS-MOS as the most likely ones. Before Terry, I would have ranked Heihachi at top and Soulcalibur higher. Feel that another fighter right after Terry ain't happening. Might be fuctionally too similar unless there's another way to differentiate them.
I really only put Heihachi that high because of his Mii Costume being absent; it's more "concrete" proof supporting them than any other character there besides Lloyd. Though, I don't think Bandai Namco is next up, so Heihachi being right after Terry wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I know people probably hate it because I know it took up a lot of discourse around here, and I use to be one of its biggest opponents...

But I'm actually super on board with Jillhachi and want it to happen.

When people kept insists that they would go with Leon and Chris but I actually researched around to check on crossovers and see what is more prominent Resident Evil character that get in the game right away..

Due to some members here, I actually expected to see Chris or Leon taking this but imagine my surprise when I found out that Jill Valentine actually got in most of crossovers FIRST and actually being prominent on the boxarts for crossovers or loading screens. I know some games are old but still; they went with Jill over Leon first on some cases.

However the situation for Smash Bros is completely different. It's matters of whom Sakurai would chose first, not Capcom.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how Sakurai feels about Streets of Rage.
Getting that music and Blaze as a fighter wouldn't be so bad.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I will stan Lloyd to the end. Other great runner-ups for Namco include KOS-MOS, Klonoa and Heihachi.

Also I still trust Sabi and Verge. They themselves don't know much, but they clearly are in touch with people that do (i.e. folks like VR Plant).

Sure, it's more reputable when VR Plants and NOA worker (whatever they worked for) said something but when they shared some stuffs without those sources, that's when it's getting shaky. We know that those people shared details and information way few days before it happens.

However, few weeks or few months in advance is something I would have hard time to believe in due to the nature of their leaks and how it worked out for them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm banking on Namco getting the fifth rep (and it being Chosen Undead), but I'll always have a place in my heart for Doom Sandwich, even though Amaterasu or Phoenix Wright totally should get in before RE.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it's more reputable when VR Plants and NOA worker (whatever they worked for) said something but when they shared some stuffs without those sources, that's when it's getting shaky. We know that those people shared details and information way few days before it happens.

However, few weeks or few months in advance is something I would have hard time to believe in due to the nature of their leaks and how it worked out for them.
Oh definitely. It's why I tend to block out what they say until a reveal is on the horizon and we start getting straight confirmations.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to know if that Cacodemon Mii hat is legit tho at this point
Unlikely that leak is real even without Sabi saying it's fake. However that doesn't mean Doomslayer isn't imminent. I wouldn't expect them for DLC 5 but after how much he's been talked about for DLC I could see him early for post FP

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
So just a thought I had.

But where did the Hayabusa in smash come from exactly? I know about that leak from months ago where it had him and Doomguy. Which was obviously false. I can't remember why exactly he stuck around for so long.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I just want to know if that Cacodemon Mii hat is legit tho at this point
There's very little reason to believe it is. It came from an anonymous source (so no past history of being right) and we've seen conclusively that it's possible to mod in new hats for Miis, with someone even completely recreating the seen Mallow costume.

Between those two things and with no story to explain why someone would have access to those two costumes but no others and no new characters, it's not looking terribly likely.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I know people want their KOS-MOS and their Jill Valentines, but the female characters I'm really hoping for are 2B, Reimu Hakurei, and Arle Nadja.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Doomguy has been talked about a lot hasn't he
9d5.png

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
She did call Terry. Even then she hasn't had a major loss it's like saying Vergeben isn't worth listening during base game speculation when he briefly said K Rool wasn't in and then ended up walking back the claim.

Whether or not you want to take what she says seriously is one thing but she's not exactly untrustworthy either. She's just not on the same level as say Emily Rogers who once upon a time was in a very similar position to Sabi. Then she learned to shut up and only talk about insider stuff sparingly and now she's considered one of the more reliable insiders.

The problem with Sabi is that she doesn't know when to shut the fuck up and spends too much time gossiping. She's spent more time "deconfirming" characters then she has giving any leads on what the DLC could be. In that regard it could be frustrating listening to her because she doesn't really have anything of substance to say right now

Calling Terry is such a softball with the SNK leak. He was the obvious choice.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's very little reason to believe it is. It came from an anonymous source (so no past history of being right) and we've seen conclusively that it's possible to mod in new hats for Miis, with someone even completely recreating the seen Mallow costume.

Between those two things and with no story to explain why someone would have access to those two costumes but no others and no new characters, it's not looking terribly likely.
Didn't the leaker also claim they would have more info to show off and talk about and literally never came back?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

Everyone knew it had to be Terry. She only called him after the SNk Leak and then backtracked a bit before the Direct saying she couldn't get a clear answer, in case she was wrong.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Yep. He praised the series in a Famitsu column back when We Love Katamari came out:

"I think the game went way above what was technically feasible at the time."

"Katamari Damacy, is a splendidly fun accomplishment"

"Katamari Damacy isn't amazing from just a design perspective, but from an engineering one as well. I remember thinking, "You can do that!?" and it fired me up inside (laughs)."
Well, at least we have that.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
AN ARGUMENT IN FAVOR OF CHUN-LI IN SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE

One of the thread ideas I had was for a thread arguing in favor of Chun-Li being in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. But because this thread obviously exists, I thought I should just put all that work in here. This would be the first time that I put thread-quality effort into an already-existing thread, so this will be an interesting experience. With that said, here we go.

WHO IS CHUN-LI?

Be3nPWO.png

Making her debut in Street Fighter II: The World Warriors in 1991, the Blue Jade known as Chun-Li burst her way onto the fighting game scene with the claim that she's the Strongest Woman in the World. Chun-Li is a kung-fu partitioner with the mission of avenging the death of her father at the hands of M. Bison (Vega in Japan, so people sometimes say "Dictator" to avoid confusion). And as shown in Street Fighter V, she helped do exactly that, as well as bring about the fall of Shadaloo. So throughout her 28 years of existence, she has more than backed up that claim while also gaining a new title, "The First Lady of Fighting Games". Chun-Li has been a mainstay in almost every Street Fighter game that has released since her debut (with the only mainline exceptions being Street Fighter III: New Generation & Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact). She also has perfect attendance in the Versus series, a record that's only shared with Ryu (Morrigan didn't first show up in the Versus series until Marvel vs. Capcom, but she's stuck around since then). So yeah, Chun-Li is pretty important to gaming & is an icon in her own right.

WHY CHUN-LI?

chara_chunli1_pop.jpg

Another unique newcomer from a franchise that's already decently represented is a bit of a tall order. Not to mention that we have a ton of other fighting games (Tekken, Guilty Gear, Soul Calibur, etc.) waiting in line for potential fighting game representation in Smash. Likewise, there are a ton of Capcom characters waiting in the wings (Jill, Monster Hunter, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, etc.). But in a roster that's starved for more women, Chun-Li would fit the bill perfectly. For one, she's the First Lady of Fighting Games & arguably the 2nd most iconic fighting game character of all time (I say arguably since you could debate that Scorpion is actually in 2nd, though Mortal Kombat's lack of presence in Asian markets would be a deterrent in his case). Likewise, as mentioned in the WHO IS CHUN-LI? section, she's appeared in numerous games & maintained perfect attendance throughout the Versus series. Likewise, she's simply awesome, has a unique design that still holds up to this day, & a fighting style that stands out. If she was the protagonist of her own franchise, Chun-Li would be seeing much more demand. But even despite that, there's enough Street Fighter content missing from Smash where Chun-Li can bring a lot with her in terms of stages, spirits, & especially music.

HOW WOULD CHUN-LI PLAY?

eZeIHUy.png

This is something that's been on my mind since Terry's release, & said release was actually what prompted the creation of this comment. We actually have a pretty good idea of how she would play. She'd be pretty good at all ranges, especially on the ground. But while her air game wouldn't be awful, it'd be slightly weaker compared to most characters in the higher tiers. So while she obviously won't be Little Mac levels of bad in the air & you could get some kills while airborne, you'll definitely want to keep your opponent's feet on the ground during combat. And fortunately, Chun-Li would have the options to do so. Likewise, while Chun-Li can clearly dish it out, she wouldn't be the best at taking it in terms of getting hit (I.E. she's a bit lighter, & thus a bit easier to kill). As far as her execution in-game is concerned, it would be a mix of Ryu/Ken & Terry as far as her transition from Street Fighter to Smash is concerned. I won't go into as much detail about her normals, but she'd more resemble Ryu & Ken on this regard in that you press A normally for a weaker attack & hold it for a stronger normal (I.E. her tilts). Her smash attacks would pull from her unique attacks, such as the Hakkei (performed with Back + Hard Punch in Street Fighter) as her side smash. Regarding her specials, here's how I could see things going down...
  • SPECIALS
    • Note: All True Inputs are for when you're on the left side of the screen facing the opponent
    • Standard B: Hyakuretsukyaku
      • Also known as Lightning Legs, this is Chun-Li's go-to special through her history. The more you mash the B button, the more kicks come out. This also has the effect of delaying Chun-Li's fall in the air, so use this to your advantage for recovery as well as combos.​
    • Forward B: Spinning Bird Kick
      • True Input: ↓...↑ + A (or B)
        • This is a Charge Input
      • A hard-hitting forward-moving attack that dishes damage as much as it closes the distance between Chun-Li & her opponent. Doing the true input would have the move become its stationary EX version, complete with invincibility on start-up & extra damage (as well as knockback).
    • Back B: Kikoken
      • True Input: ↓↘→ + A (or B)
      • It's a bit weird to put a projectile on a Side B, but it fits better considering the input that Kikoken has in most games. With that said, Kikoken is a slow-moving fireball that helps Chun-Li with her long-range game. And if you use the true input, you'll get a faster-moving Kikoken that packs more of a punch (before you ask, this is Kikoken's input command in MvCI).​
    • Up B: Tenshokyaku
      • True Input: + A (or B)
      • This is basically the kick form of a Shoryuken, & it would operate as you would expect. Doing the true input would allow you to go higher as well as get more damage in. The move would not only serve as a great way to recover, but it'd also be a solid anti-air option.​
    • Down B: Hazanshu
      • True Input: ↓↙← + A (or B)
      • Initially premiering in Marvel vs. Capcom, this move has been a recurring special move in the mainline Street Fighter games upon Chun-Li's return in Street Fighter III: Third Strike onwards. Now this move is Chun-Li's V-Skill II in Street Fighter V: Champion Edition. Anyway, Hazanshu has Chun-Li do an air somersault, followed by an axe kick to the floor with Chun-Li doing a split. Chun-Li is invincible for a good chunk of the move, especially during the somersault part, so this is good if you're expecting a projectile to come your way. It can also do you some good up-close since it's grab-invincible. But be careful, as you're pretty vulnerable if you whiff the move due to it leaving you minus (or at a disadvantage) on block. Though regardless of if you actually land a hit, whiff it, or only hit their shield, you do fill your V-Gauge so you can use Chun-Li's V-Trigger (more on that later). This move being Chun-Li's Down B mirrors Ryu & Ken, who have a game-specific move as their Down B (Focus Attack), though (as mentioned earlier) Chun-Li has had this move in other SF games.​
    • Final Smash: Hoyukusen
      • This attack has Chun-Li dish out a flurry of kicks, ending with one last upper kick to the face. The cinematic would play out like it does in Street Fighter V, as it's already pretty damn cinematic in SFV.
  • UNIQUE MECHANICS
    • V-Trigger II: Kikosho
      • Similar to Street Fighter V, you fill this gauge up by taking damage as well as dishing it out (the former fills up the gauge faster). Likewise, doing your Down B fills it up even faster (as mentioned in the Hazanshu section), as it's Chun-Li's V-Skill in Street Fighter V. Once you activate her V-Trigger, it works much like it does in Street Fighter V. Press Shield + Special to activate the V-Trigger for the initial Kikosho. The longer you charge the move, the stronger the attack becomes. And even if the opponent blocks it, it can break shields if fully charged (much like in SFV). Afterwards, you can use Kikosho 3 times if you do so in rapid succession, but the V-Gauge will slowly deplete if you leave it alone (like in SFV). After it's gone, you can go back to filling it up. This would serve as Chun-Li's primary gimmick in Smash.​
    • Air Grabs
      • Like in Street Fighter, Chun-Li would have the ability to grab opponents in the air. If she's close enough to the ground, Chun-Li will bring the back down with her. But if it's off-stage, Chun-Li will eventually get to a point where she throws them down. While this does sound dangerous, you can still tech the grab even in the air to get out of it. Likewise, Chun-Li has to be pretty damn close to the opponent to initiate the air grab, giving it a risk/reward balance.​
    • Always Facing the Opponent
      • Like Ryu, Ken, & Terry, Chun-Li will always face the opponent in 1v1 battles.
    • True Inputs
      • Also like Ryu, Ken, & Terry (& as shown in the SPECIALS section), Chun-Li will have access to inputs that hail from the various fighting games she's appeared in for stronger variations of her attacks.

WHAT WOULD BE CHUN-LI'S STAGE?

43985791_277934659520730_4668237282542105013_n.jpg

Since I'm already borrowing a lot from Street Fighter V, I'd might as well do the same for Chun-Li's stage. The one I'd choose would be Bustling Side Street, one of the stages from Street Fighter V & the one first shown when the game was revealed. Since this stage is set in China, it fits perfectly as Chun-Li's home stage. Obviously this wouldn't be legal since there's no off-stage game, but there would be two main gimmicks regarding Bustling Side Street. For one, you can break down the left wall to open up the restaurant on the left side, thus opening up cave-of-life bullshit. But after you open up the left side, you can initiate a KO by hitting the opponent hard enough (with high enough damage) to bash them in the wall for a knock-out (complete with ramen on their head before they lose a stock), similar to the KoF Arena. As for the right side, you can send your opponent off on the bus if you hit them hard enough to break through the invisible wall on the right side. And also like the KoF Arena, you'd have cameo appearances from other Street Fighter characters from throughout the franchise.

WHAT MUSIC WOULD CHUN-LI BRING WITH HER?

seriesalbum.jpg

One of the biggest weakness of Street Fighter's representation in Smash as of now has to be the music. With the series being rich with great tracks, it's a shame that Smash Ultimate limits itself to Street Fighter II. If Chun-Li was included, she would bring a rare opportunity to right that wrong. And since Capcom seems pretty damn cooperative when it comes to Smash, there's reason to believe that they could be not far from from SNK or even keep up with them in terms of the amount of songs they provide. With that said, here are some of the tracks I'd like to see.
  1. Bustling Side Street [Street Fighter V]
    • The last stock (or last half of the timer) would initiate the alternate version, with the critical part playing when it's last stock & high damage (or the last 30 seconds).
  2. Chun-Li's Stage [Street Fighter II] (Remix)​
    • This goes into the critical version of the song if you're on the final stock, much like the existing SF tracks.​
    • Same gimmick as Bustling Side Street where the music changes as the match goes on, since both songs have multiple phases.​
This is clearly SFV-heavy. But given that Chun-Li would bring the V-Trigger mechanic with her alongside a SFV stage, the focus on SFV would be justified. That plus I didn't ignore the other entries in the series. As I said earlier, Street Fighter is a music goldmine. And including Chun-Li would give Sakurai a 2nd chance to do right by the series on the music front.

WHAT SPIRITS WOULD BE INCLUDED WITH CHUN-LI?

latest
latest
latest

This one is a bit tricky as I don't want to overlap too much with the spirits already in the game. Fortunately, Street Fighter has a ton of options to choose from.
  1. Chun-Li (Street Fighter V)​
    • Fighter Spirit
    • Basically the art shown at the start of the "WHO IS CHUN-LI?" section.​
  2. Alex​
  3. Dudley​
  4. Sean Matsuda​
  5. Gill​
  6. Elena​
  7. Urien​
  8. Makoto​
  9. Rashid
  10. Menat
  11. Ed
  12. Zeku
  13. Falke
  14. G
  15. Lucia
That's a pretty solid list of spirits if I do say so myself.

LONG STORY SHORT

osk6KkU.gif

In a game filled with legends of the industry, Chun-Li would fit right in. Despite the fact that we have quite a bit of Street Fighter representation already, Chun-Li has enough history, popularity, & missing gaps in Street Fighter's representation in Smash to fill to make a real impact on the game as a whole. And given Smash Ultimate's current lack of female fighters, Chun-Li stands tall with other great options like Jill Valentine & Lara Croft as some of gaming's most iconic women who would be great to have to Smash.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I really don't get why GX spent so much time discussing second characters from 3rd party worlds are in Smash. Outside of echo fighters it hasn't happened, and Sakurai's comment about wanting to bring in more new worlds should have been a big warning that Eggman/Chun Li are pie in the sky and not realistic at all.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This is why I want Ultimate to have a long life. Maybe get a Deluxe edition for Switch 2 even with more characters still so we can get around to add secondary third party characters.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SPECIALS
  • Normal B: Lighting Legs
    • This is Chun-Li's go-to special through her history. The more you mash the B button, the more kicks come out. This also has the effect of delaying Chun-Li's fall in the air, so use this to your advantage for recovery as well as combos.​
  • Back B: Kikoken
    • True Input: ↓↘→ + A (or B)
    • It's a bit weird to put a projectile on a Side B, but it fits better considering the input that Kikoken has in most games. With that said, Kikoken is a slow-moving fireball that helps Chun-Li with her long-range game. And if you use the true input, you'll get a faster-moving Kikoken that packs more of a punch (before you ask, this is Kikoken's input command in MvCI).​
wouldn't it make more sense to put Lightning Legs on rapid jab to free up neutral B?

it would also solve the problem of how Kirby would do it

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Chun-Li should be the first unique secondary character from a third-party, but I just don't see that happening in Ultimate's DLC cycle. Bringing any new series into Smash would undoubtedly be more exciting than a third Street Fighter character.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
While I of course can't say who the final character will or will not be, I find it hard believe that Nintendo and Sakurai would think "Let's bring four new character from franchises that have never been in Smash Bros. Oh and let's include Eggman as well".

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
We're still 4 for 4 on new 3rd party ips in the fighters pass, I think it's far more likely we go 5 for 5 on new 3rd party ips then for them to randomly have a second character from sonic or street fighter.
I'm not talking about Fighter 5 specifically (maybe GameXplain were?); i'm sure we'll get another new third party franchise next, but there isn't anything really stopping new reps from existing franchise in the next wave of DLC (even if I don't think it'll happen either).

Status
Not open for further replies.