• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
What is fun? What makes something fun?

P5 is on the level of isekai trash, while Automata is a really good game and it certainly plays better than its older brother but I sure did not enjoy it as much. How can the More Fun game lose out to the smaller scale content of Nier?
This is...an interesting take. I would genuinely like to hear more of your persona opinions.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with DMC3 Dante's design?

I'm not entirely familiar with DMC franchises (I only played first one if I remember correctly) but I just knew Dante mostly from all fighting games that he shown up.

1ryiQtD.gif

I consider it perfectly fine but the older Dante seen in DMCV and to a lesser extent DMC4 is a significant improvement.

DMCV has particularly rendered this version obsolete not only because of older Dante but more importantly because the new Nero does a lot better hitting the same notes.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
The timeline where Gamma and Chaos returned in Heroes and became regulars while Shadow remained dead sure would've been a weird one.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
AN ARGUMENT IN FAVOR OF ARLE NADJA IN SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE
You all got to vote on the picks, & Arle ended up being the winner. So thus, she is the focus of this Argument in Favor of... post. If you want to check out the previous entries in this series of posts, go check them out.
With that said, time to get started.

WHO IS ARLE NADJA?

latest

Making her debut in 1989 with the release of Madou Monogatari Episode II (yeah, the second episode came out first), followed by 1-2-3 a year later as its main character. In these games, she was locked in a long battle with a villain known as the Creator that she barely won (with massive injuries). And while her soul was saved, only half of it was saved (not surprising given that it's the Dark Prince, known as Satan in Japan). The other half later became Doppelgänger Arle, who later shows up in Puyo Puyo~n. Speaking of which, the series would then go on to morph into the Puyo Puyo series we know today as of Madou Monogatari: Michikusa Ibun & Puyo Puyo onwards (whose English version refers to Arle as Silvana for whatever reason). While Arle stopped being the protagonist as of Puyo Puyo Fever (Amitie replaced Arle for the role of protagonist in Puyo Puyo Fever, with Ringo Ando later taking up the role in Puyo Puyo 7), she still remained a major character in the franchise.

WHY ARLE NADJA?

Arle_PuyoPuyoChronicles.png

While the Puyo Puyo series has gone through a number of protagonists, Arle is very much the original. She has a number of parallels with Terry in this regard, being the main character of her home series & a recurring character in the series that's actually still going today. Though in Arle's case, her series morphed into Puyo Puyo, while King of Fighters was a spin-off series of Fatal Fury that has a different continuity. Granted, there's also Yakuza as far as major Sega franchises left unrepresented in Smash. But with Tetris' recent DLC spirits lowering its chances by quite a lot, Arle could bring us said puzzle game representation (a genre that's generally under-represented in Smash as of now, outside of Dr. Mario).

HOW WOULD ARLE PLAY?

hqdefault.jpg

This part was actually pretty tough. I originally went into this wanting to reference Puyo Puyo as much as possible, but then I remembered that Arle has a bunch of magical abilities of her own from the Madou Monogatari games. In the end, I think I may have found the solution. Her smash attacks as well has most of her specials will use each of her elements, with the Puyos factoring into her main gimmick. For example, her up smash would create icicles from the ground around her, & her forward smash would send out electricity. Anyway, here's how her moveset would work...
  • SPECIALS
    • Standard B: Volcana
      • This is basically a lava bullet shot from Arle's hand (you could even have her go Yusuke on us with the Spirit Gun motion). It doesn't look like much, but it can pack quite the punch (think Hero's Bang special). This counts as a fire element.
    • Side B: Lwark Woid
      • This ability doesn't go that far in range, but it will make the opponent more susceptible to damage for a set amount of time (think Joker's Eiha). This counts as a dark element.
    • Up B: Tornado
      • This ability creates a tornado pillar that sends Arle upwards. Unlike Hero's Kaswoosh, Tornado is more of a pillar which stays for a second or two (which helps with spacing). This counts as a wind element.
    • Down B: Puyo Pair
      • This ability sends out two Puyo, the colors of which are dictated by the last two elements you used in battle. You can get the chain effect of adding one metal Puyo (which tags along with the newly-summoned pair of Puyo, thus inflicting more damage) each time if you get matching pairs each time you throw out the attack regardless of the colors (Ex: If you send out two blue Puyos first, then send out two yellow Puyos, you get the chain effect's bonus metal Puyo). Likewise, if you get two of the same kind of pair (Ex: Blue/Yellow, followed by Blue/Yellow), you'll also get the bonus. And if you get two of the same Puyo twice in a row (Ex: Blue/Blue, followed by Blue/Blue), you'll get two metal Puyos on the 2nd set. For reference regarding which attacks trigger which kind of Puyo...
        • Fire/Lava attacks result in Red Puyo
        • Ice attacks result in Blue Puyo
        • Wind attacks result in Green Puyo
        • Electric attacks result in Yellow Puyo
        • Dark attacks result in Purple Puyo
      • Across Arle's smash attacks & specials, you'll have access to each of the aforementioned elements. So to make the most of this ability, you need to keep your previous attacks in mind.
    • Final Smash: Cutie
      • This Final Smash paralyzes anyone caught within a certain radius & has Arle rain Puyos on them. If you look closely, you'll notice that the Puyos sent out correspond with the past several elements you used in combat. If they chain, you'll get even more damage & knockback.
  • UNIQUE MECHANIC
    • Puyo Puyo
      • This is covered in full in the Puyo Pair special section.

WHAT WOULD BE ARLE'S STAGE

sbl37sj.png

I was thinking of going with Puyo Arena, but it would overlap too much with King of Fighters Arena. So instead, I've opted to go with Primp Magic School. You'd fight on top of the campus roof, with the Puyos atop the campus being quite bouncy. This can help you jump higher, but it can also bounce you farther if you're flying towards it at a high velocity. Obviously this stage wouldn't be tournament-legal, but it would be a fun stage for parties. Like with the KoF Arena, you'd have cameos from various Puyo Puyo characters on the roof. And as a bonus, the clock will reflect the time on your Switch.

WHAT MUSIC WOULD ARLE BRING WITH HER?

seriesalbum.jpg

I'm not super well-versed in Puyo Puyo music, so I'm sure Sakurai would do better than me here. Though given that this is Sega, I'd probably stay within the 10-12 territory regarding the number of songs for Puyo Puyo in Smash (like Bayonetta & Persona before it).
  1. Puyo Puyo Champions Main Theme
  2. It's Been a Long Time Since We Passed Through Space Time! [Arle's Theme] (Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary)
  3. Final of Puyo Puyo [Mean Bean Machine] (Sonic Mania)
  4. Ribbit☆Ribbit♪ (Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary)
  5. Fever! (Puyo Puyo 7)
  6. Ringo's Theme (Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary)
  7. Dark Arle's Theme (Puyo Puyo 7)
  8. The Untrained Demon King [Rock Arrangement] (Puyo Puyo Champions)
  9. 1st Floor (Super Puyo Puyo)
  10. The Top Floor (Super Puyo Puyo)

WHAT SPIRITS WOULD BE INCLUDED WITH ARLE?

latest
latest
latest

Puyo Puyo has no shortage of characters to pull from. Be it the classic series, the Fever series, or Puyo Puyo 7, there are ton of characters you could use. But for the sake of consistency with the other games, I'll keep it simple with the same 10-14 that most other DLC franchises get.
  1. Arle Nadja
    • Fighter Spirit
  2. Ringo Ando
  3. Amitie
  4. Dark Prince
  5. Carbuncle
    • He also shows up in some of Arle's taunts, like Morgana for Joker & Slime for Hero
  6. Suketoudara
  7. Draco Centauros
  8. Raffina
  9. Rulue
  10. Sig
  11. Klug
  12. Ecolo
  13. Witch
  14. Maguro Sasaki

LONG STORY SHORT

ezgif-com-crop-4-gif.159071

I've gone through the whole "We need more women" song & dance in the last two characters, so you know the drill by now (the need for more women on the roster is why these posts exist). But at the same time, Arle would bring some much-needed puzzle game representation to the roster (something that Dr. Mario didn't capitalize on). Granted, we already have 3 Sega characters in the roster. But Arle is diverse enough to set herself apart from the Blue Hedgehogs, Umbra Witches, & Phantom Thieves who would have hypothetically preceded her. She's iconic, she's unique, & she would help expand Smash's spread of genres on the roster (on top of the aforementioned lack of women right now). It's no wonder she's becoming more requested as of recently.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm hearing is you all want the star of Capcom's latest stylish action game that hit the Switch, Devil May Cry 2, and its rendition of Dante.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
If we are getting Dante in; I'm all in for all of his animations, taunts and victory poses because I know he would rock it all. Regardless of his appearances? I'm okay with all of them because I guess I don't have any preference.

49zTDis.gif

Also he fight with the styles. And he's a huge dork.

t8VdoK2.gif

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Who's theme is better?

It's Knuckles right?
I would like to say that omega's theme is light right up there with the best themes

Rouge's Theme

And Knuckle's theme

And Shadow's theme
And the song's from shadow's levels that now act as shadow themes on occasions
And Shadow's deathflag theme
And shadow's theme which is supposed to be about team dark...but lets be real its shadow's theme its about him
And shadow's edgy theme
And shadows edgy theme that was taken out recently discovered and is fucking tight
And the remix combining the sa2 theme with shadow's theme
And the multiple shadow's level themes in his game
And Shadow's 06 theme
And the new theme he has now that is a remix of his old deathflag theme , ( this one came ot two years ago. BTW he's still getting themes )

Shadow has a lot of themes and they are all fire. He's probably get more themes. The will most likely given his track record continue to be strait fucking fire,

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think after all of these years DMC1 Dante is still my favorite. I especially love how it looks in Project X Zone:

latest

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Y7BHikU.jpg

How do y'all feel if we are getting this Dante? I think his model was way better than original Dante in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite. How ironic.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Y7BHikU.jpg

How do y'all feel if we are getting this Dante? I think his model was way better than original Dante in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite. How ironic.

Yeah no.

No.

I don't care what the DmC crowd is gonna say, not shitting on the game, will even concede that he does legit look better than standard in MvCI.

But no.

At that point just go with Nero. He's effectively cut from the same cloth and pulls if off 100x better.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale gets Donte and young Heihachi; while Smash gets actual Dante and old man Heihachi. All is right in the world.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to say that omega's theme is light right up there with the best themes

Rouge's Theme

And Knuckle's theme

And Shadow's theme
And the song's from shadow's levels that now act as shadow themes on occasions
And Shadow's deathflag theme
And shadow's theme which is supposed to be about team dark...but lets be real its shadow's theme its about him
And shadow's edgy theme
And shadows edgy theme that was taken out recently discovered and is fucking tight
And the remix combining the sa2 theme with shadow's theme
And the multiple shadow's level themes in his game
And Shadow's 06 theme
And the new theme he has now that is a remix of his old deathflag theme , ( this one came ot two years ago. BTW he's still getting themes )

Shadow has a lot of themes and they are all fire. He's probably get more themes. The will most likely given his track record continue to be strait fucking fire,
He does have a lot of good themes.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Since Twintelle was the first one to make it to 4 votes, she'll be next "An Argument in Favor of..." post. Lara Croft will be right after Twintelle.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
He does have a lot of good themes.
He's gonna get more most likely. He was one of the two things received well in forces and they are leaning into adventure era nostlagia a bit . He may be playable again with a new theme. And if that movie does well, there will be sequels he will be in one of them and he will have an emo rap theme and it will be fire.

So sayeth the prophecy

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's gonna get more most likely. He was one of the two things received well in forces and they are leaning into adventure era nostlagia a bit . He may be playable again with a new theme. And if that movie does well, there will be sequels he will be in one of them and he will have an emo rap theme and it will be fire.

So sayeth the prophecy
Oh god I'm imagining cute tiny realistic movie Shadow and it's the greatest thing ever.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
And if that movie does well, there will be sequels he will be in one of them and he will have an emo rap theme and it will be fire.
I'm awaiting Shadow's post-credits appearance; as Jim Carrey finds out that his grandfather Gerald had already discovered Sonic's world, leaving behind something called "Project Shadow".

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Isn't that a bad thing?

Wasn't he a raging asshole?
Yeah, he had some really bad takes about Me Too and Black Lives Matter; if I remember correctly.

I mean Xander Mobus is the Announcer, Master/Crazy Hand and Joker.
Well, if we're taking non-playable roles into account, Michele Knotz beats everyone else because of how many Poke Ball Pokemon she has voiced:
  • Pokémon Trainer (Brawl)
  • Squirtle
  • Torchic
  • Gardevoir
  • Jirachi
  • Piplup
  • Manaphy
  • Snivy
  • Latias and Latios
  • Bewear
In terms of unique fighters, Charles Martinet wins (Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario and Wario), but counting alts Lani Minella takes it (Lucas, Brawl Pit, Larry, Morton, Wendy and Lemmy).

Status
Not open for further replies.