• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Little Mac is essentially a normal man fighting against superhuman weirdos in Punch-Out. I feel like that aspect of his character translated well into Smash.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, Superbot really had it rough for their entire existence. Everything we've heard about that game's development is really terrible.
Seriously. Sony created that studio for one purpose and then completely failed to support them and give them the backing for the roster they wanted on terms not dictated by Sony's other studios being pissy ingrates.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No More Heroes 2 sounds better on paper but it really isn't since, in an effort to streamline everything, the pacing is completely off.

There's no anticipation of your next opponent and no time to reflect on who you just thought making more of the cast rather forgettable. It may have been a dead overworld, but it served a purpose.
No More Heroes 2 was really a game that felt like it was pulled in about three different directions, not really knowing what it wanted to do as much as it knew what it didn't want to do. It didn't want a poor overworld, it didn't want people to grind, it didn't want people to go through slapped together minigames and it didn't want Travis to be a one-trick pony in a narrative sense. The end result was a game that didn't waste your time at the very least but it still couldn't escape that the original game's concessions were designed around the game, so what you're left with is a much more hollow experience. The bosses in particular are so hit-and-miss, treated as annoyances, whereas in NMH1 they were the entire reason you were playing the game. Seeing those assassin title cards every time you start up a new mission was an exciting feeling of "oh yeah, let's do it", and you start imagining all the possible ways in your head as you battle through the level how that tease will pay off. No such thing in NMH2 where you only get the title cards after you beat them and at least 50% of the boss have their exposition handled via a rosy third party flash back narration that is telling over showing, which kinda defeats the point.

Really glad Travis Strikes Again corrected on that, and we got legendary intros for every level like these, and the banter Travis shares with the bosses is fantastic (in spite of the lower production values of the pre/post-fight scenes).

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Rush is such a perfect fit for Smash that it makes me eternally sad that it will never happen even if a Sony character gets in.
The stage, moveset, alt costume, echo, and music potential is amazingly high, more so than any other Sony ip imo. On top of that, Kat would be good female representation and skin tone diversity. Including it checks pretty much every box for a potentially interesting Smash inclusion

*flashback to PSASBR's Kat*

XZulIhn.gif

I know she would have different moveset and work differently in Smash Bros. But it's not fun to get hit by a confirm hit into touch of death combo".

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Little Mac is fun to play on stages where you can't fall to your death:p

At least, he is the king in King of Fighters.

Little Mac's biggest problem with his depiction in Smash is his moveset turning him into Captain Swan Dive of the Self Destruct Brigade.

lmao I wouldn't lie about that. It happened to me few times when I didn't meant to ask for that but at least Ultimate fixed that kinda since I would able to save myself after those mistakes.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Its definitely fun when you're the one doing it :)

It's the truth. It's pretty fun to do that when you are one doing that.

Remember early Sack Boys. I was one of those players. Got loads of rage quits, rage messages, etc because of that character. It's shame that PSASBR had to die early. It's even more shame that Sackboy got nerfed way too earlier than he should have.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Mac's speed and power is less focused on playing aggressively and moreso on being able to react and counteract effectively - he can dish out quick hits, but he can't follow up, and anyone good can just shield his onslaught and throw him off-stage if they see it coming

If anything, stuff like the armored smashes is less in character, but of course getting rid of that would make him even worse
You have a point. Get rid of roll staling for Little Mac and only Little Mac, and afford him some sort of aerial defense.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
It's the truth. It's pretty fun to do that when you are one doing that.

Remember early Sack Boys. I was one of those players. Got loads of rage quits, rage messages, etc because of that character. It's shame that PSASBR had to die early. It's even more shame that Sackboy got nerfed way too earlier than he should have.
Its really unfortunate. There were some legit great movesets in that game and its clear that Superbot wanted to do more with it but they got dealt a really bad hand.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Not sure why Sony even made the game if they weren't willing to whip their devs into compliance.
The general vibe coming off the reports of how PSASBR turned out is that Sony thought that "Smash Bros., but with PlayStation branding" would sell itself to both consumers and developers who were getting repped in the game. They seemed convinced they could just beat Smash 4 to the punch in being a third party crossover fighter without having to put in the work Sakurai and his teams did in building up their rep through three prior games.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The general vibe coming off the reports of how PSASBR turned out is that Sony thought that "Smash Bros., but with PlayStation branding" would sell itself to both consumers and developers who were getting repped in the game. They seemed convinced they could just beat Smash 4 to the punch in being a third party crossover fighter without having to put in the work Sakurai and his teams did in building up their rep through three prior games.

One thing worth noting is that Naughty Dog was originally set to develop it, but they were too busy with The Last of Us, so Sony instead formed Superbot to make the game.

If ND made PSABR as originally intended, I think it's safe to say it would be a much, much different game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Honestly; Sony probably should've waited for the PS4 and Naughty Dog. Even if the game released a few years after Smash 4, it would've been a better product after everything was said and done.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly; Sony probably should've waited for the PS4 and Naughty Dog. Even if the game released a few years after Smash 4, it would've been a better product after everything was said and done.
I think they would've if they saw how Smash 4 and Ultimate became such a viral marketing tool for announcements.

I always forget All Stars came out 2012. And the current comparison was Brawl.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I actually played the game Artix was from briefly, and I still whoville'd Artix.
Cripes, adventure quest, I'd forgotten it was ever a thing.

Are we sure PSASBR is a real game and not an elaborate prank pulled on Superbot?
I shouldn't laugh, but I found this hilarious, gawd damn, poor superbot, they tried so hard, bless their socks.

The first fighting game where fans never post any gameplay clips but just focus on the well animated idle stances and pretty backgrounds?
Fortunately all stage edges you can recover to are suspiciously yellow, though you may find your jump distance inexplicably changes drastically on proximity to these ledges

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I think they would've if they saw how Smash 4 and Ultimate became such a viral marketing tool for announcements.

I always forget All Stars came out 2012. And the current comparison was Brawl.
Superbot devs had Wiis at their desks and basically played a ton of Brawl. It's pretty shameless how much they wanted to ape Smash (though that was always the purpose of the project to begin with).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PSASBR's youtube trailer literally had "Super Smash Bros." as a search term.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You have a point. Get rid of roll staling for Little Mac and only Little Mac, and afford him some sort of aerial defense.
"roll attacks" where you input A during a roll to get a near-instantaneous attack out of it in direction Mac faces out of the roll, but with reach limited to directly in front of him

Status
Not open for further replies.