• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care, you can complain about whatever you want that's fine.

But do people actually ask for Mother 4? I feel like the prevailing sentiment there is relief that no one has tried to Star Wars prequel it.
Some do, but these people lack the understanding that Itoi is the core of the franchise, and as long as he isn't interested in making a fourth game, it will never happen.

On a sidenote, that former Mother 4 fangame now called Oddity is going to be haunted by its former identity as a wannabe Mother 4 forever.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Mother as a series is Itoi. I wouldn't want anyone to helm it except for him.
Yeah, I agree with this sentiment. Oddity is probably going to be good, but it's good that they changed the name, since even if they used all the same assets, it would still only be "Mother-esque" without Itoi.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
If an outsider is allowed to make some predictions for FP2:

Pack 6 - Rex w/ Mythra (Attack), Nia (Healer) and Brighid (Tank) {Xenoblade Chronicles 2): Yeah yeah, 7th Circle of Hell aka Mii Costume Hell. Sakurai seems to have regretted this decision due to timing and perhaps it's time to rectify that. Maybe too ambitious with three different Blades but fuck it do it anyway.

Pack 7 - Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes): Suda 51 wants him in. That is all.

Pack 8 - Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear): Another arcade mainstay with a much more offensive fighting style than most main characters in fighting games. Also, there needs to be at least 100+ music tracks (though he probably get 50 at best like Terry) because GG is fucking hard rock/heavy metal heaven.

Pack 9 - Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles): An odd case since Selvy is mainly one of the villains, but is basically the series mascot anyway. Sorry Welkin, you're still a cool dude.

Pack 10 - KOS-MOS (Xenosaga): I could've always just gone with Heiaichi, Llyod, Nightmare (another villainous mascot) or Velvet Crowe, but eh screw it throw KOS-MOS another bone. She's probably cheaper than the aforementioned four to license anyway.

Pack 11 - Camilla (Fire Emblem Fates): The ultimate wet fart. The Omega downer. The biggest "FUCK YOU" in history of Smash. Why Camilla? She's stupid popular and IS LOVES to give her more shit to do because REASONS. You thought the reaction to Byleth was bad? Imagine throwing in one of the most controversial Fire Emblem characters in history into Smash; it'll make Byleth's and even Corrin's look quaint by comparison.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a "Random Smash Presentation before E3" type of guy. I still can't get the Smash 4 April direct out of my head. I rewatched it at least 10 times.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Can I have a challenger pack 2 banner as well?

- Amaterssu
- Arle
- Hornet (Hollow knight)
- Barista (Rhythm heaven)
- Ring fit adventurer
- Geno

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Some do, but these people lack the understanding that Itoi is the core of the franchise, and as long as he isn't interested in making a fourth game, it will never happen.

On a sidenote, that former Mother 4 fangame now called Oddity is going to be haunted by its former identity as a wannabe Mother 4 forever.
Usually the people also ask for real RPGs from Nintendo, I guess because their many other RPGs are not as Dragon Quest-y (well, Pokémon is, but that became a genre unto itself.) Maybe they could be satisfied with a new Magical Vacation game, as unlikely as that would be.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I really don't want another Mother game. I think the series ended fine with 3 and doesn't need to go on any longer, especially if Itoi isn't interested.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
at the very least, the new director would need to be, like, hand-selected by itoi
until then it's pithy wacky indie rpgs for me

May I make a recommendation.

f85986572338f204339e9499a61976dc8951dcc0a97c9a694bbe559755c676b7_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem has an entire independent company pushing it as their flagship even when Nintendo couldn't care about the franchise (After Radiant Dawn, IS was told they should drop console FE and focus entirely on portables, and yet still kept development of a console FE game for years, only dropping it completely by the time of Awakening). Monolith isn't an independent company at this point, but it's still a separate team which is why they get to do their own games.

ARMs came from the Mario Kart team, so it was directly competing with Mario Kart as far as development resources go. In the case of Kid Icarus there just doesn't seem to be interest in pushing the franchise onward, with Sakurai focusing on Smash and Nintendo seemingly not interested in handling it to another team.
again, it's probably more due to the fact that the ARMS team is the same as the Mario Kart team and they're gearing up for a new entry on that front. I love me some ARMS but i can't imagine they expect a new one to make a splash.

that said, it's not as if IntSys has just been making Fire Emblem, they've put out Paper Mario, several -mo games, tried their luck with a new IP with Code Name STEAM (rip), and they work on Wario Ware these days too
*sigh* yeah, I. . .normally I remember that in regards to this situation, but something about the way it was framed specifically set me off.

Of course, like every other situation of notable lament it turned out to probably be someone exaggerating via a mix of telephone game and fandom emo. Of course they're not working on a game right freaking now, because of the above mentioned Mario Kart game. They just don't wanna make commitments eons in advance. And because unlike the Animal Crossing/Splatoon departments, they don't have the sense to use branching teams apparently.

That doesn't mean I'm going to excuse them for not making a new Kid Icarus, mind. They're attracting contract teams like satellites at this point and considering there was apparently a glut of game pitches after Pit was announced for Brawl you know that has to have kept going on some level after Uprising actively provided fodder for it.
That's fine but we make fun of louisacommie all the time so you should know what you're getting into.
I mean, I'd be fine with having "refuses to let go of the existence of Kid Icarus" as a gimmick, but I don't think I have the juice to make more than one legitimately salty post like that more often than every couple of months or so over it.

The thing I actually have the sheer bitterness to get into fights over on a near constant basis is much more embarrassing, but if anyone touches THAT mysterious nerve I usually just put them on ignore instead.

I don't care, you can complain about whatever you want that's fine.

But do people actually ask for Mother 4? I feel like the prevailing sentiment there is relief that no one has tried to Star Wars prequel it.
You would be surprised what people ask for, LOL.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Every time an Undertale fan claims Sans is Ness, an angel dies of strangulation.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

I would be fine if Nintendo brought in someone like Toby Fox or the Oddity team for a spin-off series called Step-Mother or whatever (sort of like retiring Metal Gear Solid after Kojima left and calling future games Metal Gear ___), but also that's not really that different from them just independently making Undertale and Oddity now which may as well be called Step-Mother so whatever.

An actual Mother 4 without Itoi would be terrible though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Phew.

LEGS is back on. I can wait.
It's starting to seem like he came to that conclusion based on some info he has about Yabuki's team working on something else right now & the other publicly-known instances of ARMS not being utilized as much (hence his "part information, part speculation" comment). Plus I don't think any of us expected ARMS 2 anytime soon anyway.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Today's been pretty slow, so does anyone want me to make one of those Fighters Pass preview images for them? The template i'm using also has slots for three Mii Costumes and one indie Mii Costume + Music Track per challenger pack; but I can just remove that part if you don't want to bother.

Oh whoops, I just realized my list is missing a character. Keep forgetting FP2 is 6. Uh... Throw Reimu in there.

Reimu
Phoenix Wright
The Prince
Porky
Jack Frost
Amaterasu

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
For me, I'm the pessimist in this group so I gotta to keep my reputation by siding with E3.
He said longer wait for the next reveal and we've already two occasions with 4 month windows between character reveals so E3 will probably be it. Maybe we will get it earlier but I can assume most agree that the latest we'll wait is E3 as well.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
He said longer wait for the next reveal and we've already two occasions with 4 month windows between character reveals so E3 will probably be it. Maybe we will get it earlier but I can assume most agree that the latest we'll wait is E3 as well.

I do wonder who is number one most optimistic member in this community?

I would guess Okabe?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine the next time we will see a Smash character dlc is at E3. Since this fighters pass will release by December 31st, 2021, I don't think we're going to see another DLC character anytime soon.

How far out would they space character announcements? I could see:

E3 2020, with two characters. One releases in July, the second releases November. Third DLC character releases in March. Then E3 2021 comes, with DLC fighter 4 to be released in June and DLC fighter 5 in October. Then as the October 2021 video ends, Sakurai announces to watch a Smash presentation for December of 2021 with DLC fighter 6.

Ends with the announcement of Fighters Pass Volume 3, with six more fighters, plus a free celebratory fighter for those who bought all three fighters pass, who can be bought individually, with it being Rex.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'll take one!
  1. Kasumi(DOA)
  2. Lora w/Jin and Haze(Torna)
  3. Nightmare(Soulcalibur)
  4. Spyro
  5. Cybuster(SRW)
  6. Rayman

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
If only Nintendo had another long-dormant racing franchise for the Mario Kart team to work on while they wait for the Switch 2.
Judging by the multiple, multiple interviews Nintendo has put out, apparently they feel like they should do something to spice up F-Zero on some level but are at a loss for ideas. Which I mean, I kinda get, it's hard to think of how to introduce a balanced new mechanic to a game about trying to death derby at mach speeds.

Does make me kick and scream a little harder about Kid Icarus though since that same excuse would be almost mind-numbingly stupid to put into application on a franchise that at every turn has constantly genre juggled and introduced increasingly bizarre premises along the line.

Like, Nintendo can have their odd duck interest in innovating every time the sun rises as long as they don't take it to the extreme that Star Fox Zero did again, but I will hold them accountable when a successful game is perfectly compatible with that philosophy and they still fall asleep at the wheel, assigned teams or not.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
#TeamE3 gives me strong Box Theory vibes. When the pro-Box vs. anti-Box wars were fought, Sakurai had explicitly said both "don't expect many more fighters" and "now you've seen all the new stages." However us anti-Box optimists convinced ourselves that he was just being modest or misspoke and there were actually 7 more highly-requested beloved characters coming.

Now Sakurai has come out and said "it'll be a while before season 2 is ready" so expecting them next month really feels like hoping he's trolling to keep Banjo, Isaac, and Mach Rider a secret.

I was never a Box Theory guy, so hopefully joining Team E3 means I've grown wiser with age and experience as I slowly evolve into a grumpy pessimistic boomer.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Pack 11 - Camilla (Fire Emblem Fates): The ultimate wet fart. The Omega downer. The biggest "FUCK YOU" in history of Smash. Why Camilla? She's stupid popular and IS LOVES to give her more shit to do because REASONS. You thought the reaction to Byleth was bad? Imagine throwing in one of the most controversial Fire Emblem characters in history into Smash; it'll make Byleth's and even Corrin's look quaint by comparison.

I'm sure there would be no end to the complaining if Camilla got in, but she actually has a lot going for her as a fighter, having a pole axe, being a wyvern rider, and having dragon vein abilities.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
OK, so let me do my pack 2 (in no particular order of release or preference!!)

Steve from Minecraft
Lara Croft
Geno
New Pokémon
Japanese obscure character idk
Powerpuff Girls

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the guy that made this, like,

Really really not a great guy actually?

Probably.

All I remember from YIIK is that after it bombed the guy who made it went on a big rant about how games could never be art, and also that it directly airlifted from the death of an actual person for something in the game.

Game looks like a 30yo youtube self inserted themself into a game.

You're not that far off.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
#TeamE3 gives me strong Box Theory vibes. When the pro-Box vs. anti-Box wars were fought, Sakurai had explicitly said both "don't expect many more fighters" and "now you've seen all the new stages." However us anti-Box optimists convinced ourselves that he was just being modest or misspoke and there were actually 7 more highly-requested beloved characters coming.

Now Sakurai has come out and said "it'll be a while before season 2 is ready" so expecting them next month really feels like hoping he's trolling to keep Banjo, Isaac, and Mach Rider a secret.

I was never a Box Theory guy, so hopefully joining Team E3 means I've grown wiser with age and experience as I slowly evolve into a grumpy pessimistic boomer.
I voted February in the hopes that my sheer force of will might push the reveal date just one day earlier than it otherwise might be.

Realistically, I expect a reveal sometime in mid-spring, but I'm also a bit confused as to what "getting things ready" means in the context of that tweet - that phrasing almost seems to imply that they're still in the pre-preparation phase, despite having had the entire lineup decided back in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.