• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
TheDinoman
aTOr781.png

I've got two left now, so i'll just upload them together when both are done.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
If December 31st, 2021 is anything but an obvious placeholder, I will eat my copy of Smash Bros. Ultimate's game case, one piece at a time.**

**This case does not exist, as I have a digital copy of the game.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of what anyone on Twiter said, I could see Crash as Character 6. That's basically my guess on who the next character is at this point.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I reserve the right to at least transfer the data to a not-in-use SD card before eating it. Quote me in slightly-less-than-two-years, I'll do it.

Regardless of what anyone on Twiter said, I could see Crash as Character 6. That's basically my guess on who the next character is at this point.
I don't recall how popular Crash is in Japan, but as long as he's got some sizable support there, he would certainly be a pretty big name to kick things off.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly do not believe they're waiting until E3 to announce DLC 6. It honestly doesn't make any sense. You're suggesting Sakurai and Nintendo are that incapable of getting them out by June and can only get one character even out by June and we have to wait until possibly September to get DLC 7 announced and later until release then that would imply we would've gone from 4 or so characters in a year to 2. The even more pressing part is that despite lowering their effort's by literally 50% they would then need to work double time to get the rest of the four characters out so then they'd be back to Square 1.

I'd expect a slowdown in production but waiting until E3 is past the point of possibility. On top of that Nintendo does some weird ass things but announcing a 6 character Pass 6 months before they could announce the first one is also just totally ridiculous too. Especially since there's no implication on the actual Pass itself that there would be that huge of a delay until DLC 6. I think it's more likely that they announced the DLC Pass this early is because they know they can get the content out in a timely manner. Much more timely than 6 months for one character.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna say Crash feels more like a when than an if, but I feel like that's what we all said about Resident Evil and then all we got were four corpses.

I think they are going to massively front load Season 2. I think Characters 6 & 7 are going to be the biggest, most hype inducing characters they could get. And I would not be surprised if Crash is one of those two. But if he's not, I don't think he'll happen (at least in this pass).

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Crash complicates my "legacy with Nintendo is key" theory a little, in that he's been on a bunch of Nintendo systems in quite a few iterations, but his legacy is very much associated with PlayStation. I guess I'd have to wait and see who was next to check the veracity on it, in that scenario.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I was rereading Sakurai's interview on his gaming habits and found this:

Nr64VTm.jpg

I'm now positive he was heartbroken about not including DQV's Hero. 😂

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Persona is its own thing now, but its roots are in SMT, which has been on Nintendo consoles pretty consistently since the late 80s. Joker is an entirely sensible choice if you want to acknowledge SMT's longstanding ties to Nintendo, but realize that it's too niche to sell your DLC pass on.

Does this imply that Nintendo and Sakurai both agreed no one in SMT was recognizable enough to put in Smash, thereby reducing my hopes for Jack Frost to rubble? Absolutely!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious what people would consider "the biggest, most hype inducing" characters.

I listed Crash, but who else do you think is out there? Obviously Sora would be one of them. Master Chief. Maybe Dante (I go back and forth on that one). But there are more out there that I didn't mention.

And what do you think of my theory that if these characters aren't front loaded in this pass then they aren't happening?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what people would consider "the biggest, most hype inducing" characters.

I listed Crash, but who else do you think is out there? Obviously Sora would be one of them. Master Chief. Maybe Dante (I go back and forth on that one). But there are more out there that I didn't mention.

And what do you think of my theory that if these characters aren't front loaded in this pass then they aren't happening?
Sephiroth or Tifa

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Crash complicates my "legacy with Nintendo is key" theory a little, in that he's been on a bunch of Nintendo systems in quite a few iterations, but his legacy is very much associated with PlayStation. I guess I'd have to wait and see who was next to check the veracity on it, in that scenario.
Joker didn't throw a wrench into that criteria?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You guys ready for sol badguy in smash?
latest

Sakurai getting all them fighters in, bring on Heihachi too

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Joker didn't throw a wrench into that criteria?
I'll reiterate that I don't think the dividing line between SMT and Persona is as concrete as most seem to imply, and SMT is pretty much best buddies with Nintendo.

Solid Snake, too. Even though Metal Gear started on NES, he's a playstation character. Through and through.
This one I have no rebuttal for, I admit, though I would argue that Brawl is not Ultimate's DLC. Even if legacy with Nintendo ends up not being the end-all-be-all, I do think it's going to give you a leg up unless you're a huge icon like Snake or, say, Master Chief, who might not need it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Since I don't give a fuck about spirits, does anyone have a rundown of what games we've had events for so far?
I know of Astral Chain, RE and SwSh

I have a new theory

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona is its own thing now, but its roots are in SMT, which has been on Nintendo consoles pretty consistently since the late 80s. Joker is an entirely sensible choice if you want to acknowledge SMT's longstanding ties to Nintendo, but realize that it's too niche to sell your DLC pass on.

Does this imply that Nintendo and Sakurai both agreed no one in SMT was recognizable enough to put in Smash, thereby reducing my hopes for Jack Frost to rubble? Absolutely!
Acknowledging SMT by not acknowledging SMT is a pretty funny way of doing it.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shooting.jpg

I forgot Sakurai actually owned an Opa-Opa figure. How come nobody ever reps Fantasy Zone for Smash?

I've been pro-Opa Opa in the past, usually when shmup choices came up. They're a good, unique fit thanks to having legs and such that can make them a more natural choice for a fighter. Usually Twinbee gets more support though, and admittedly, if I'm going to be supporting a SEGA series there's a loooot in line before Fantasy Zone makes it. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that a different SEGA shooter, Space Harrier, should totally get a mii gunner costume at least.

I actually do have that Opa Opa figure myself though! It's a real cute little thing and the wings can wiggle about and such. I usually use the 16t accessory as a counter weight for other figures stands.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I think Terry is the only representation/celebration of more than just one game or series. Everyone else seems to represent exactly what is on the tin.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay with a new Pokémon, not only cause this new gen's designs are absolutely godlike (and because Toxtricity is obviously a lock), but because the music is some of the best in a Pokémon game ever and we'd get some bangers on actual tournament legal stages.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Basically everything in the trailer up to the point where Sothis tells Byleth they also don't want to die is straight from the game. The only thing missing in there is a dialogue option Byleth has after Sothis berates him for getting them trapped in the void. Everything after that is either edited or new footage specifically for the Smash trailer.
I know this is late but I'm just catching up on the thread. Isn't the part where Sothis is like "ah, so that's how you plan to win the day!" Also from TH?

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That support is usually just from me. So it's pretty much one supporter versus none, which is technically more, but not really by much.

I feel like more often than not a few people usually agree with the choice. It helps that Twinbee has arms and legs, compared to Opa Opa's just legs. It's a lot easier to imagine their movements and using items and such that way.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I think the recent random spirit events with RE and Astral Chain represent series that were in consideration for season 2 of DLC that didn't make the cut.
I base that off of absolutely nothing but speculation. Those events seemed very random as others tended to coincide more with a recent release.

So, I think we're getting a Capcom character in season pass 2. With RE out of the running I think it leaves 3 realistic possibilities.
Monster Hunter
Phoenix Wright
Dante from the Devil May Cry Series

I think it can be any one of these. I'm gonna go with Phoenix Wright

Astral Chain event happened months after release, likely when I feel like season pass 2 was completely finalized. We still haven't got Ring Fit Adventure spirits. If the months go by and we still don't get anything, I think Ring Fit Trainer is in the next pass. Just seems odd they haven't done spirits for a 100% Nintendo owned new ip that's been an absolute runaway hit. Maybe they'll come way later like Astral Chain did. Who knows? But for now, I feel that character is a safe bet for the next pass

Just my baseless speculation.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

In general, probably Sora, Crash, and Dante. Maybe Chief since he's the the face of MS. I still find it funny that there's almost no talk about Sony and most people relegate Crash as the Sony rep.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like more often than not a few people usually agree with the choice. It helps that Twinbee has arms and legs, compared to Opa Opa's just legs. It's a lot easier to imagine their movements and using items and such that way.
Plus the game 'Rainbow Bell Adventures' provides a nice base for a Smash moveset as it places them in a platformer, which is one of the closest genre to Smash moveset wise.

But reading into their history I have learnt the series' history in the States is rather rocky - not only do the Americas have far less releases than anywhere else, but the games they did get don't even use the Twinbee name most of the time!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
In general, probably Sora, Crash, and Dante. Maybe Chief since he's the the face of MS. I still find it funny that there's almost no talk about Sony and most people relegate Crash as the Sony rep.
Simply because people don't consider it possible. Master Chief only became a possibility after Microsoft started putting non-Minecraft games on Switch, but few expect Sony to be open to such a thing.

Kratos would break the internet harder than anything this side of a non-VG character.
Thunder force is one of the few series I went out of my way to play after hearing music from it. Ys was another which became my favorite series of all time
Which SEGA character can we package that music with?

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which SEGA character can we package that music with?

Anyone from SEGAGAGA. (skip to 3:06 for the Thunderforce part)

So technically Sonic could already bring it in, but also a character from Phantasy Star, Panzer Dragoon, Alex Kidd, House of the Dead, Golden Axe, Fantasy Zone, uh... SEGA Bass Fishing...

Status
Not open for further replies.