Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 9 | New Decade, Same Old Debates

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

• General Direct (in March)

• E3

• Random Smash Presentation before E3

Results are only viewable after voting.

Weiss

Oct 25, 2017
I'm basing this off second hand impressions and skimming a TVTropes article but

I do like that we have both an unambiguously violent and destructive female antagonist in the game, as well as one you can decide to side with.

A.By

Oct 25, 2017
Just a weird take that seeks to eliminate all nuance of the situation. Comparing an abuser to an Emperor because they sought to end a harmful system, informed by her trauma of being abused, is silly. Edelgard is not a good person, but I don't think I need to explain the difference between these two characters.

Hailinel

Oct 27, 2017
Blockbuster has a board game now. It comes in one of those big VHS cases they used to use.

The 90s was a strange time.
While Blockbuster was in its death spiral, my employer at the time partnered with them (and Hollywood Video) to pilot a program to distribute rentals on SD cards playable on proprietary set-top boxes.

It will not shock you to know that this pilot program was not a success.

Brock Reiher

Oct 25, 2017
Just a weird take that seeks to eliminate all nuance of the situation. Comparing an abuser to an Emperor because they sought to end a harmful system, informed by her trauma of being abused, is silly. Edelgard is not a good person, but I don't think I need to explain the difference between these two characters.
that's what people say about Griffith too tbh

Gold Arsene

Oct 27, 2017
..........it's a joke, relax.

Have you really not heard the "Grifith did nothing wrong" meme? I know it's a lot more complex then that.(Still worst House Leader.)

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god this is rapidly turning into a Three Houses morality discussion.

Those are the most pointless discussions ever.
I haven't played Three Houses, but it always seems to turn into "Edelgard is a Nazi" versus "Edelgard is upending a corrupt system for the greater good," doesn't it?

For my part, if I ever do play Three Houses I've always kind of gravitated towards Claude, who is apparently the least partisan in this whole mess.

A.By

Oct 25, 2017

Have you really not heard the "Grifith did nothing wrong" meme? I know it's a lot more complex then that.(Still worst House Leader.)
I've literally never, just that the comparison is wack.

(and also hard to distinguish a joke from reality when i know someone who was really, really, really upset any time Edelgard came up in discussion)

yup

wouldn't be berserk without unnecessary rape to provide motivation for conflict
Berserk sounds stupid

Weiss

Oct 25, 2017
If only I was taking this seriously.

This isn't necessarily directed at you two since we all do it from time to time (including myself) but I think when it comes to tasteless jokes it's important to know your audience, and that everyone involved can have a good laugh.

Kanmurukillua

Jan 28, 2019
Isn't this thread always basically a Three Houses discussion thread?

All I have to add is that Hilda and Claude are the best characters in Three Houses and no one compares, not even your fave.

Gold Arsene

Oct 27, 2017

Hailinel

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this thread always basically a Three Houses discussion thread?

All I have to add is that Hilda and Claude are the best characters in Three Houses and no one compares, not even your fave.
As someone that played Golden Deer after Silver Snow (that was probably a mistake on my part), I'm not all that enthralled with Claude. Good guy, but overrated.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I haven't played Three Houses, but it always seems to turn into "Edelgard is a Nazi" versus "Edelgard is upending a corrupt system for the greater good," doesn't it?

For my part, if I ever do play Three Houses I've always kind of gravitated towards Claude, who is apparently the least partisan in this whole mess.
Three Houses' morality is about as deep as "the protagonist is right". Whoever Byleth sides with is right and any potential claims to the contrary in their route are never fleshed out because everyone who doesn't die gets a happy ending anyway.

Also the lords are different characters on the other routes because they weren't around Byleth long enough for them to be a positive influence on them so their actions on one route have absolutely no bearing on the one where they're the main character.