• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
So I've decided to write the DLC fanfiction to end all DLC fanfiction. This possible future is one where Sakurai takes an informal survey of what people are asking for and designs a DLC roadmap to please as many people as possible; a good mix of hype, surprise, fan service, and advertisement.

So first up would be Fighters Pass 2:

KCsQvCc.png

This has (SHOCKING) two western third party reps, two Japanese third party reps, a Pokemon, and the first full fledged indie fighter. Crash and Master Chief are probably the most requested western characters at this point (barring Doom Slayer who maybe Sakurai didn't feel like toning down or wrestling with CERO over, who knows). Similarly, Dante and Sora are probably the most requested Japanese third parties (maybe 2B is a close third?). I explained my theory about a new eeveelution being the Gen 8 Pokemon rep in a prior post, but in a nutshell, the Crown Tundra DLC seems to be focused on introducing new forms to old groups of elemental Pokemon and we're overdue for a new one (we got new ones in Gen 4 and Gen 6). As for Shantae, I truly think she either tied Shovel Knight or was right behind him in the ballot, which would explain why her and Shovel Knight were the only indies to get representation in the base game. Wayforward continues to be probably the most prolific indie developer for the Switch and they've had history with Nintendo all the way back to 2001 on GBC.

Now, to go along with Fighters Pass 2, I'm a subscriber to the "Perfect Rectangle" theory that basically states we're in for 4 additional echo fighters before development ends. This would put the total at 94 characters including 11 echo fighters which makes a perfectly rectangular character select screen with stacked and unstacked echoes. So, basically, over the next two years, sprinkled between the full fledged fighter releases, we're going to get the additional echo fighters released either stand alone or as a separate pass (forgive the low effort on this graphic, kind of got lazy, lol):

DgseOkG.png

Octolings make sense because Splatoon is unbelievably popular and I can't help but think we'll get a Splatoon 3 released in 2021. The other 3 are kind of a stretch, I'll admit, but a long standing dream of mine has been to have Sakurai finally complete the Forbidden Seven, and kind of go above and beyond to make "Everyone is Here" as complete as possible. Plusle and Minun are obvious echoes of Pichu (separately selectable as alt costumes ala Olimar and Alph), and Dixie would be an echo of Diddy but with Donkey Kong's up-B as a hair twirl. I've argued in the past that Tetra could work as a Ken-esque echo of Toon Link where her normals work slightly differently due to a different sword shape. In addition, her up-B would be a grappling hook (think Joker) and her side-B would be a smaller, faster, and weaker version of Bowser Jr's cannon (a hand cannon). Admittedly, this stretches the definition of echo fighter, but Ken and Chrom already kind of do that.

In addition to all of this, it seems obvious that the response to Sans and now Cuphead would motivate Sakurai and company to keep making premium full body Mii costumes with a music track and here are the four I think make the most sense:

IOmaPEd.png

Steve and Hollow Knight should be pretty obvious, but I feel like Geno and Mokujin deserve a little bit of explanation. In an ideal world, Geno would be a full fledged fighter, but I can't shake the feeling that if he were going to happen, he would have happened in Fighters Pass 1 or as a Piranha Plant style bonus for Fighters Pass 2. I think if they upgrade the costume from Smash 4, changing his proportions slightly and giving him a full head replacement, he'd actually be pretty neat a Mii Gunner. Mokujin is kind of the only fighting game character I could think of that would not look really distorted as a Mii Brawler costume, plus it throws Tekken fans a bone. If anyone can think of a better full body replacement costume for Mii Brawler (one that has no facial expressions and fits the proportions at least moderately well), please feel free to chime in.

So at the end of all of this, as a mentioned above, we'd be at 94 full characters (counting Pokemon Trainer as 3). Wouldn't it be a shame to be this close to the magic number of 100 fighters on the roster and not make it? Well, Sakuai and team think so too. When Smash Ultimate gets ported to Switch 2 in 2023, 6 more fighters are added to the roster (kindly ignore the numbering, again, got lazy):

uMkC3b5.png

So since this is technically "base roster" for the port of Ultimate, they're mostly Nintendo characters. I don't think anyone can really complain about these four. It's important to note that, while Anna would be badass, I think it's probably more likely that we'll get whatever Lord/Avatar comes in the next mainline Fire Emblem. For the two third parties, I thought to myself, "which partners of Nintendo would be most willing to let their characters be included in a full game purchase instead of DLC?" and Koei Techmo and SEGA were near the front of my list. I also kind of selfishly just really want Hayabusa and Tails and didn't think they fit the "DLC" criteria I had laid out for Fighters Pass 2.

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed this as this is probably the last long form roster speculation post I'll make for a long time. I know it's weird, but I just wanted to challenge y'all to dream as big as you can, and in my mind, the biggest dream possible at this point would be pushing the roster to 100 total characters while including as many fan favorites as possible. If you have thoughts, I'd love to hear them, even if they're mean!

Edit: I realize now that I miscounted, and the perfect rectangle theory would actually require 92 on the roster with 11 echo fighters. Oh well, lmao. You get what I was gong for at least. Add in an extra Nintendo character and an extra third party of your choice to the Switch 2 port to get us to 100.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I dont know why we keep doing this song and dance, we all know our guy, Funky Kong is in

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The internet will burn if Geno returns as a Mii costume
giphy.gif

I'd be bummed of course but at the end of the day getting in as a Mii costume just means he's not as popular as his most ardent defenders have been trumpeting, and it'd still be a nice acknowledgement of his enduring cult popularity.

It puts Geno on the same standing as Sans or Cuphead, and those are cool dudes.

I don't think it would be as bad if Geno isn't playable.
But imagine if it was revealed alongside Byleth As a mii outfit lol

I lived in fear that entire direct.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's the only third-party company whose characters I could fill an entire Fighters Pass of major personal requests with. (I could obviously think of five or six Namco characters that would make sense for Smash, but they wouldn't all be earnest wants of mine.)
Yeah, from Capcom I'd love any RE character, Dante, Arthur, Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, etc. And really there's no rule placing limits on how many reps a company has. I think Sakurai is more concerned with over-representing an individual guest franchise rather than who owns them.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So I've decided to write the DLC fanfiction to end all DLC fanfiction. This possible future is one where Sakurai takes an informal survey of what people are asking for and designs a DLC roadmap to please as many people as possible; a good mix of hype, surprise, fan service, and advertisement.

So first up would be Fighters Pass 2:

KCsQvCc.png

This has (SHOCKING) two western third party reps, two Japanese third party reps, a Pokemon, and the first full fledged indie fighter. Crash and Master Chief are probably the most requested western characters at this point (barring Doom Slayer who maybe Sakurai didn't feel like toning down or wrestling with CERO over, who knows). Similarly, Dante and Sora are probably the most requested Japanese third parties (maybe 2B is a close third?). I explained my theory about a new eeveelution being the Gen 8 Pokemon rep in a prior post, but in a nutshell, the Crown Tundra DLC seems to be focused on introducing new forms to old groups of elemental Pokemon and we're overdue for a new one (we got new ones in Gen 4 and Gen 6). As for Shantae, I truly think she either tied Shovel Knight or was right behind him in the ballot, which would explain why her and Shovel Knight were the only indies to get representation in the base game. Wayforward continues to be probably the most prolific indie developer for the Switch and they've had history with Nintendo all the way back to 2001 on GBC.

Now, to go along with Fighters Pass 2, I'm a subscriber to the "Perfect Rectangle" theory that basically states we're in for 4 additional echo fighters before development ends. This would put the total at 94 characters including 11 echo fighters which makes a perfectly rectangular character select screen with stacked and unstacked echoes. So, basically, over the next two years, sprinkled between the full fledged fighter releases, we're going to get the additional echo fighters released either stand alone or as a separate pass (forgive the low effort on this graphic, kind of got lazy, lol):

DgseOkG.png

Octolings make sense because Splatoon is unbelievably popular and I can't help but think we'll get a Splatoon 3 released in 2021. The other 3 are kind of a stretch, I'll admit, but a long standing dream of mine has been to have Sakurai finally complete the Forbidden Seven, and kind of go above and beyond to make "Everyone is Here" as complete as possible. Plusle and Minun are obvious echoes of Pichu (separately selectable as alt costumes ala Olimar and Alph), and Dixie would be an echo of Diddy but with Donkey Kong's up-B as a hair twirl. I've argued in the past that Tetra could work as a Ken-esque echo of Toon Link where her normals work slightly differently due to a different sword shape. In addition, her up-B would be a grappling hook (think Joker) and her side-B would be a smaller, faster, and weaker version of Bowser Jr's cannon (a hand cannon). Admittedly, this stretches the definition of echo fighter, but Ken and Chrom already kind of do that.

In addition to all of this, it seems obvious that the response to Sans and now Cuphead would motivate Sakurai and company to keep making premium full body Mii costumes with a music track and here are the four I think make the most sense:

IOmaPEd.png

Steve and Hollow Knight should be pretty obvious, but I feel like Geno and Mokujin deserve a little bit of explanation. In an ideal world, Geno would be a full fledged fighter, but I can't shake the feeling that if he were going to happen, he would have happened in Fighters Pass 1 or as a Piranha Plant style bonus for Fighters Pass 2. I think if they upgrade the costume from Smash 4, changing his proportions slightly and giving him a full head replacement, he'd actually be pretty neat a Mii Gunner. Mokujin is kind of the only fighting game character I could think of that would not look really distorted as a Mii Brawler costume, plus it throws Tekken fans a bone. If anyone can think of a better full body replacement costume for Mii Brawler (one that has no facial expressions and fits the proportions at least moderately well), please feel free to chime in.

So at the end of all of this, as a mentioned above, we'd be at 94 full characters (counting Pokemon Trainer as 3). Wouldn't it be a shame to be this close to the magic number of 100 fighters on the roster and not make it? Well, Sakuai and team think so too. When Smash Ultimate gets ported to Switch 2 in 2023, 6 more fighters are added to the roster (kindly ignore the numbering, again, got lazy):

uMkC3b5.png

So since this is technically "base roster" for the port of Ultimate, they're mostly Nintendo characters. I don't think anyone can really complain about these four. It's important to note that, while Anna would be badass, I think it's probably more likely that we'll get whatever Lord/Avatar comes in the next mainline Fire Emblem. For the two third parties, I thought to myself, "which partners of Nintendo would be most willing to let their characters be included in a full game purchase instead of DLC?" and Koei Techmo and SEGA were near the front of my list. I also kind of selfishly just really want Hayabusa and Tails and didn't think they fit the "DLC" criteria I had laid out for Fighters Pass 2.

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed this as this is probably the last long form roster speculation post I'll make for a long time. I know it's weird, but I just wanted to challenge y'all to dream as big as you can, and in my mind, the biggest dream possible at this point would be pushing the roster to 100 total characters while including as many fan favorites as possible. If you have thoughts, I'd love to hear them, even if they're mean!
Imran kinda implied that they already tried to get Sora in Smash, so it's probably safe to assume that Disney is too big of a roadblock if that's indeed what he meant.
Imran said:
I am willing to bet at this point that Sora is not for lack of trying.
Likewise, as I've said before, I do believe that we wouldn't have gotten the Sword/Shield spirits if a Gen 8 Pokémon was waiting in the wings for Vol. 2.

As for the Switch 2 port, I'm surprised by the lack of Ring Fit Adventurer & Officer Howard (which you could probably swap for Waluigi & Anna/FE rep).

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ill complain about waluigi until every last one of his supporters gets absorbed by the sun in its red giant state

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
imagine Mario gets in but his whole moveset is from the sticker games

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Imran kinda implied that they already tried to get Sora in Smash, so it's probably safe to assume that Disney is too big of a roadblock if that's indeed what he meant.

Likewise, as I've said before, I do believe that we wouldn't have gotten the Sword/Shield spirits if a Gen 8 Pokémon was waiting in the wings for Vol. 2.

As for the Switch 2 port, I'm surprised by the lack of Ring Fit Adventurer & Officer Howard (which you could probably swap for Waluigi & Anna/FE rep).

If I had counted correctly and realized the Switch 2 port needed 8 more characters instead of 6, I would have definitely included Ring Fit and a blank space for whatever new Nintendo IP gets released between now and then.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Byleth's stage is the best FE stage because it's a 99% faithful recreation of the monastery compared to the other FE stages being either generic or (in Arena Ferox's case) made insanely convoluted with those raising platforms that aren't in Awakening.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Byleth's stage is actually unplayable as far as I'm concerned. I can play stages with wacky layouts, but I absolutely hate walk-offs, even when playing casually.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The Monastery in Three Houses sucks.

and probably will too in smash. But at least it's playable compared to Banjo's headache inducing stage. And miraculously looks better then Terry's stage, can't believe they made a boring looking King of Fighters stage.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's a shame Mementos was never topped (and probably won't be topped) in terms of DLC stages.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's like five good stages made after Melee and none of them were in the DLC.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Yggdrasil's Altar topped it imo.

But it's kind of hard to appreciate it if you've never played DQXI.
After I beat XI, I went from "yea, this map is pretty nice" to "oh my god, it's like the entire map from the game" and I started looking for landmarks and roads you take and stuff. It got a lot more exciting.

Cloud's stage is great and I will always stand by this.

i actually don't find the hazards annoying
The hazards aren't really annoying. It's a totally fine stage.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I always feeling sticking the term "fan favourites" near any roster suggestion is just asking for trouble.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
"Diddy but with much worse recovery" is definitely the oddest take on Dixie that the Smash fandom loves for some reason.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo's stage is the worst because it's kind of ugly and also you have to listen to Banjo-Kazooie music

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
They need to do runbacks of every game from FP1 in FP2 so we can get the correct music tracks in the game.

Kasumi/Jade/Grunty/Mai (Mythra-ized)/Edelgard

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Honestly, in terms of DLC stages, just going by hazards off...
Mementos > Yggdrasil's Altar > KOF Arena > Spiral Mountain > Garreg Mach
The line for "I prefer not to play here" is in between Yggdrasil's Altar and KOF Arena, though. None of them are amazing from a layout standpoint.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
"Diddy but with much worse recovery" is definitely the oddest take on Dixie that the Smash fandom loves for some reason.

Well, it doesn't need to work exactly like Donkey Kong's since the move is no longer on a heavy. It can have more vertical movement and speed and could be a good out of shield option similar to Bowser's up-B.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Sakurai actually has data to back up his claim.

Where do you think he got his data on Sans and Cuphead as popular requests? There's obviously some kind of informal surveying going on since there's been no direct collection of data since the ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.