• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
FP5 is "kinda sorta" a Nintendo character, in that they're not actually a first party character but are associated with them. It's "apparently a weird situation".

Speculation has mainly centered around third party characters heavily associated with Nintendo like Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, or Professor Layton among others, with a notable Geno contingent because...well...Geno.
I feel like "it's a weird situation" would disqualify someone like Phoenix.

Yeah, he's known for being on Nintendo systems, but those games are still 100% done by Capcom and frequently appear on other systems now. That's not particularly weird, that's just a 3rd party series with a preference for Nintendo systems.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019

Yeah, he's known for being on Nintendo systems, but those games are still 100% done by Capcom and frequently appear on other systems now. That's not particularly weird, that's just a 3rd party series with a preference for Nintendo systems.
In fairness, the "it's a weird situation" thing might just be Zippo's personal interpretation based on being told something vague like that it's "kinda sorta first-party, but not really," since he's evidently hearing this from other people more in-the-know.

Frankly, we just don't have enough of a set of criteria to narrow things down very much.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
In fairness, the "it's a weird situation" thing might just be Zippo's personal interpretation based on being told something vague like that it's "kinda sorta first-party, but not really," since he's evidently hearing this from other people more in-the-know.

Frankly, we just don't have enough of a set of criteria to narrow things down very much.
True enough, though again in the case of Phoenix I'm not sure anyone would legit think those games are "kinda sorta first party." Again, it's just Capcom here. Everyone should know that.

But you're right. We just don't know enough.

wedl

Oct 26, 2017

tbf, no more heroes has appeared on other systems before, but nintendo is a bit more hands-on with it compared to AA

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Honestly there are no characters who I could legitimately see someone describe as "sort of first-party" unless they were trying to be deliberately obtuse. Not even Geno.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly there are no characters who I could legitimately see someone describe as "sort of first-party" unless they were trying to be deliberately obtuse. Not even Geno.
Geno's probably the closest just because yeah Square Enix owns him but they can't do anything with Nintendo seeing as he's a Mario character. At that point, the distinctions that consumers care about break down.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't 'Sort-of First Party' cover series like:
  • Fire Emblem
  • Pokemon
  • Advance Wars
  • Professor Layton
  • Chibi Robo
... too?

They're all developed by non-internal Nintendo devs but remain bound to Nintendo systems.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Zippo's comments were vague enough that I'm not going to rule anyone out specifically. I'd rather just wait and see and not wring my hands endlessly trying to interpret information that was incomplete by his own admission.

Also, I just want to give him a damn break.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Honestly, Zippo's comments were vague enough that I'm not going to rule anyone out specifically. I'd rather just wait and see and not wring my hands endlessly trying to interpret information that was incomplete by his own admission.

Yeah, pretty much the only characters I'm ruling out (and even then, not definitively) are characters who are very obviously completely separate from Nintendo. Characters like Dante, for example, who predominately exist in a multiplatform capacity, or characters closely linked to other publishers, like Sony. Beyond that? Eh, no clue, and it's probably better that way.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's pretty obvious; Chibi-Robo will get in as the next Bandai rep. A kinda-sorta Nintendo character that doesn't belong entirely to them.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Well, if you believe Zippo, KOS-MOS is the one and only character it absolutely isn't.

No offense to Zippo, but this is why I can't take whatever their source is saying seriously. Being willing to hard deconfirm a character without just coming out and saying who the character actually is is fishy to me.

To humor this whole rigamaroll though, my guess (based on my own bias) that fits the "clues" would be Shantae or Geno. Travis also kind of fits oddly enough. I'm completely neutral on Travis as I've never played a NMH game, but if he happens I'm sure he'll be fun.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly not even going to rule out KOS-MOS, because she still fits in terms of being a third-party character that's associated with Nintendo.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

This, we'd be no better than SmashBoards if we endlessly try to piece together what Zippo said when they specifically said not to read too much into it. Let's just wait for Thursday.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'm thanking a merciful God we got these vague hints two days before the announcement and not 2 months before.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
This, we'd be no better than SmashBoards if we endlessly try to piece together what Zippo said when they specifically said not to read too much into it. Let's just wait for Thursday.
At the same time, we're not exactly going to abandon this thread and go full radio silence until Thursday, and there aren't a whole lot of other breadcrumbs at the moment, since Nintendo seems to have done a good job patching their leaks this go-around. Discussing it is cool as long as we all keep in mind that this is all very, very tentative.

i.e. No one be a piece of shit and call out Zippo if none of this pans out.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm honestly not even going to rule out KOS-MOS, because she still fits in terms of being a third-party character that's associated with Nintendo.

he's been pretty up front and honest about her saying maybe down the line. I'm not sure what I should believe anymore. I just know that KOS-MOS's XB2 version could fit that description. Best not to get hopes up though honestly. It's probably Euden or some shit.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
They are owned by Nintendo.
maybe you didn't hear the good news
it's time
7ab6lzfpljj9.png

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Just shuffled my deck of Smash characters and drew a card. Heart of the cards still points to Dante as Fighter 5. It's been wrong in the past, but I find it most fun to trust the heart of the cards and see what happens.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Just shuffled my deck of Smash characters and drew a card. Heart of the cards still points to Dante as Fighter 5. It's been wrong in the past, but I find it most fun to trust the heart of the cards and see what happens.
I'd tell you the evidence points to you being wrong, and that you should give up on the Heart of the Cards, but I'm pretty sure that's how every Yu-Gi-Oh villain lost.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
"I surveyed the employees of Bandai Namco to ask who they wanted to see in Smash from their company, to represent the hard work they've put into working on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. To my surprise, Chibi-Robo was the character that won out in our internal ballot, and getting the approval of Bandai and Nintendo was very simple!"

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the longer video could be explained by having to explain the various styles that Dante can use...
probably happening I guess :S

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
"I surveyed the employees of Bandai Namco to ask who they wanted to see in Smash from their company, to represent the hard work they've put into working on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. To my surprise, Chibi-Robo was the character that won out, and getting the approval of Bandai and Nintendo was very simple!"
I really like the idea that, of all the characters Bandai works with - and they work with a fuck of a lot - Chibi-Robo is somehow their favorite of all time.

As he should be.

I guess the longer video could be explained by having to explain the various styles that Dante can use...
probably happening I guess :S
Eh, he's probably just going to play through an entire Classic mode again.

Status
Not open for further replies.