• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason that quote is always sourced to Kamiya on other boards, I edited my initial post. Either way the point stands, I feel a lot of you are working backwards from the stance of 'it can't/shouldn't be Dante' and twisting yourselves in pretzels, while for me it's not really hard to look at a lot of circumstantial evidence lining up in his favor. At the very least he should be considered the frontrunner
You say that and yet Daisy Theory says it can't be him.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I also doubt Sora for a few reasons. I doubt Square Enix would get two slots in the Fighters Pass. You also can't really have Sora without having Disney stuff involved, which would be a barrier to being in Smash.
Sora wouldn't actually be Square-Enix though, he's Disney. Either way, I also don't expect him.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
If it is Dante, I don't think the DMC twitter's tweet has anything to do with it. They wouldn't just hint at it like that.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Dante is number 3 trending on twitter now.

Absolutely

CURHAZZE

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
For some reason that quote is always sourced to Kamiya on other boards, I edited my initial post. Either way the point stands, I feel a lot of you are working backwards from the stance of 'it can't/shouldn't be Dante' and twisting yourselves in pretzels, while for me it's not really hard to look at a lot of circumstantial evidence lining up in his favor. At the very least he should be considered the frontrunner
Assuming that information that was explicitly announced for an unrelated game has nothing to do with Smash is a perfectly logical conclusion.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it time for Bingo cards again? I think it's time for Bingo cards again.

0YmTxa7.png

Not expecting a bingo (the best of these bingos for me would be two characters I'm personally interested in), but whatevs.

M0uWC0a.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Is it time for Bingo cards again? I think it's time for Bingo cards again.

0YmTxa7.png

Here is 2 from me

twitter.com

Platy on Twitter

“And my actual wishlist. There is a character that was never on a nintendo console (dustman) and both characters that didn't started as videogame are Nintendo properties so like give a break samurai And yes, besides Bub&Bob and Doomguy, I don't expect anyone to actualy be there.”

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still puzzled by Namco's treatment in this game. Of the five returning third-parties, Namco is the only company without any Mii costumes and the only company without more than one playable character.

Oct 27, 2017
No complaining if it isn't Dante, lol.
I won't complain, or at least I certainly won't attack whoever the character ends up being. Disappointed, sure, but I'm trying to play Smash at a competitive level, I'll welcome any character that shakes up the meta.

I'm just making the argument for why so many people think it's Dante bc there are users here who seem confused. I'll admit to wanting Dante so I'm inherently biased, but I think the evidence for makes a lot of sense. At the very least he currently has a much stronger case than anyone else.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still puzzled by Namco's treatment in this game. Of the five returning third-parties, Namco is the only company without any Mii costumes and the only company without more than one playable character.
Sakurai is holding up three digits - 765, the Namco number, is three digits!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Female character imo. Just feel like it's gonna be a bayonetta "final reveal" type of thing.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I've been out of the loop-- are there any leaks that suggested this date + a character, or are we in the dark on this one?

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming that information that was explicitly announced for an unrelated game has nothing to do with Smash is a perfectly logical conclusion.
And assuming it isn't a coincidence isn't much of a stretch either. I'm not arguing it's a bulletproof case, I'm arguing that if you were to go character by character, there's more going for Dante than anyone else. I'm not exactly seeing anything more compelling for someone else

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
And assuming it isn't a coincidence isn't much of a stretch either. I'm not arguing it's a bulletproof case, I'm arguing that if you were to go character by character, there's more going for Dante than anyone else. I'm not exactly seeing anything more compelling for someone else
That SEGA developer who retweeted the Direct is far more compelling imo.

I don't believe that means anything either.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

Japanese developers retweeting Sakurai or something he's doing is not compelling at all at this point. The man is friends with literally the entire Japanese industry and nearly every single retweet based theory in the past has not panned out.

I don't think we have anything truly solid at the moment, but DMC dev saying to expect news on 1/16 is more compelling than anything else atm.

Anyway, I'm kinda bummed cause I have to go into a long meeting directly after the presentation Thursday so I won't be able to fully digest it until pretty late in the day. Whatever happens happens I suppose.

Oct 27, 2017

I mean we'll see soon. I'm not here to argue THAT hard for Dante, I'm just putting forward the case I'm seeing on Twitter and other boards. It makes sense to me and until a better argument is cobbled together for a different specific character, i think he's a pretty solid frontrunner. I'm just weirded out how immediately dismissive people on ERA have been about it. But again, the direct is in 2 days, I'm not going to die on this hill when we will have answers very soon.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Smash people looking into retweets. Puyo puyo creators retweeted it and Kamiya right? Dont think it means anything.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Let's hope there are no leaks from Nintendo themselves this time. Whoever it is, I wanna be surprised.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we'll see soon. I'm not here to argue THAT hard for Dante, I'm just putting forward the case I'm seeing on Twitter and other boards. It makes sense to me and until a better argument is cobbled together for a different specific character, i think he's a pretty solid frontrunner. I'm just weirded out how immediately dismissive people on ERA have been about it. But again, the direct is in 2 days, I'm not going to die on this hill when we will have answers very soon.
Most cobbled together arguments insisting the signs are there have more often than not resulted in egg on people's faces. If anything, the Smash community seems cursed with the uncanny ability to find all the signs for things not happening.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Dante fan? Itsuno said DMC needs to come to Switch before Dante could be considered for Smash, and a port of the first game was announced a week later. A DMC reveal is confirmed for the same date as Sakurai's presentation.

Ryu Hayabusa fan? Koei Tecmo is a major company that's developed many games for Nintendo in the last few years, and with Atlus and SNK being brought on board with the Fighters Pass it makes sense to include Koei Tecmo.

KOS-MOS/Heihachi/Lloyd/Dark Souls fan? All of the Namco Mii costumes are suspiciously absent, paving the way for a Namco-focused wave 5.

Arle fan? Puyo Puyo's director retweeted Sakurai.

Doom Slayer fan? The Mii costume leak technically hasn't been disproven yet, and Doom Eternal releases in a couple of months.

And so on and so forth.

No character has a stronger case than another, and remember that if your preferred character is revealed on Thursday that you weren't privy to some special insight that the rest of us were too stubborn to grasp. We're all in the dark right now.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
They are not gonna reveal Crash, a character with mostly Western appeal, at 6am Pacific Time Zone.

While I'm admittedly down on Crash's chances for pack 5, I don't really agree with this mindset. 6 am PT would be 11 pm in Japan. It's not really a good time for either side of the world. It could be 6 am PT so that they can release character 5 right after the presentation and have him available that day in the west.

I get what you're saying, but I just don't think the time of the presentation says anything about the character this time around. We won't really know until after Thursday.

Oct 27, 2017
Most cobbled together arguments insisting the signs are there have more often than not resulted in egg on people's faces. If anything, the Smash community seems cursed with the uncanny ability to find all the signs for things not happening.
Not always. Hero was another character that had 'too many coincidences' and lot of circumstantial evidence going for him, and it turns out that he was indeed FP2. I'm not gonna buy the 'it's TOO convenient' argument at face value.

And if egg is on my face then so be it. Like I won't die

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm admittedly down on Crash's chances for pack 5, I don't really agree with this mindset. 6 am PT would be 11 pm in Japan. It's not really a good time for either side of the world. It could be 6 am PT so that they can release character 5 right after the presentation and have him available that day in the west.

I get what you're saying, but I just don't think the time of the presentation says anything about the character this time around. We won't really know until after Thursday.
I'm just going by previous experience. Both Hero and Terry got their presentations done way early in the morning, while Banjo & Kazooie was during primetime American time. I expect Crash, or any other character with worldwide appeal, to be shown at a time more appropriate for the US or European markets.

Oct 27, 2017
Dante fan? Itsuno said DMC needs to come to Switch before Dante could be considered for Smash, and a port of the first game was announced a week later. A DMC reveal is confirmed for the same date as Sakurai's presentation.

Ryu Hayabusa fan? Koei Tecmo is a major company that's developed many games for Nintendo in the last few years, and with Atlus and SNK being brought on board with the Fighters Pass it makes sense to include Koei Tecmo.

KOS-MOS/Heihachi/Lloyd/Dark Souls fan? All of the Namco Mii costumes are suspiciously absent, paving the way for a Namco-focused wave 5.

Arle fan? Puyo Puyo's director retweeted Sakurai.

Doom Slayer fan? The Mii costume leak technically hasn't been disproven yet, and Doom Eternal releases in a couple of months.

And so on and so forth.

No character has a stronger case than another, and remember that if your preferred character is revealed on Thursday that you weren't privy to some special insight that the rest of us were too stubborn to grasp. We're all in the dark right now.
That's not true. The arguments you listed are not equivalent. I'd say Dante and Arle are the only remotely compelling ones, the rest are just 'well they haven't been explicitly deconfirmed yet'.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe they are being humble or don't want to get any special treatments? Or Sakurai were concerned that someone would think he played favoritism with the company who helped to develop the game with them.

Or it's coming? who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.