• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It's gonna be really hard for the Geno thread to cope after Farman is wrong about Waluigi being the first post-pass fighter. They just seem so attached.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
6b4yibn4mlxy.png

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Characters in a shared or odd legal ground for Nintendo:

- Doshin
- Geno
- Baiten Kaitos characters
- Linkle
- Starfy
- Pokemon (technically)

I don't know if this is where we're at in speculation anymore, but Starfy being our first upgraded Assist Trophy would sure be interesting.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starfy, why did you even fucking come here

Also didnt Starfy appear in a game with Wario once or vice versa? Did I peek into a darkened timeline?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Characters in a shared or odd legal ground for Nintendo:

- Doshin
- Geno
- Linkle
- Starfy
- Pokemon (technically)

I don't know if this is where we're at in speculation anymore, but Starfy being our first upgraded Assist Trophy would sure be interesting.
Where's Chibi-Robo? We've been talking about him for hours, and he's probably the most likely of these cases if you really think about it, despite having four companies involved.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wake up on Thursday morning after all hell breaks loose and log on to see Era a smoldering ruin at this rate.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Zip Lash was the only Chibi Robo game I've bought and I have no idea why.

I still thought it was a mistake or something. Bandai isn't even listed on the Wiki.
Apparently the Bandai ownership is a holdover from when Chibi-Robo was originally intended to be a joint project from them and Skip. Nintendo adopted the IP, but the Bandai co-ownership seems to persist to this day.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Apparently the Bandai ownership is a holdover from when Chibi-Robo was originally intended to be a joint project from them and Skip. Nintendo adopted the IP, but the Bandai co-ownership seems to persist to this day.

So weird. Only Nintendo and Skip are listed on all the copyrights I just looked up. Does Bandai show up anywhere else like the credits?

Alright, I'll add Chibi.

- Doshin
- Geno
- Linkle
- Starfy
- Pokemon (technically)
- Chibi Robo

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
After a day long quest to pick up everything I need; internet is finally being restored within my home, ready to see Chibi-Robo revealed in the Smash presentation tomorrow.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Maybe they will also show the first character of the next DLC, and I'm just saying that 3 houses still has no spirits so...

But anyway, I can't wait to see the Dante trailer tomorrow. I had never play a DmC until this week, DmC 5 is a fantastic game.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The best part of this will be when people are SHOCKED it wasn't Dante because it was supposed to be him because of unclear reasons.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I was watching the Terry Bogard presentation earlier (because I didn't actually watch it the day it came out) which prompted me to look into the Fatal Fury/King of Fighters series. I don't know if this has been suggested, but King of Fighters being a mix of crossover game and original fighting series, combined with Sakurai's passion for it (and I assume other fighting games) had me thinking.

How would you guys feel if Sakurai decided to create an original fighter for Smash, whether for Ultimate or the next entry? I feel like this is a natural step for Smash to make at some point, and I'm wondering how others would feel about it. Personally I'd love to see it, although it's not like Smash does Story Mode enough for there to be an opportunity for it, but I feel like this is something Sakurai would try to do at some point in the Smash series. I've always been wondering if they could make Master Hand work as a proper fighter (and after World of Light, I'd been almost anticipating it), but otherwise, I'm curious.

I don't know if it's likely for DLC, but this whole game is about things that aren't likely, so how would you feel if one of the DLC fighters were wholly original?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I was watching the Terry Bogard presentation earlier (because I didn't actually watch it the day it came out) which prompted me to look into the Fatal Fury/King of Fighters series. I don't know if this has been suggested, but King of Fighters being a mix of crossover game and original fighting series, combined with Sakurai's passion for it (and I assume other fighting games) had me thinking.

How would you guys feel if Sakurai decided to create an original fighter for Smash, whether for Ultimate or the next entry? I feel like this is a natural step for Smash to make at some point, and I'm wondering how others would feel about it. Personally I'd love to see it, although it's not like Smash does Story Mode enough for there to be an opportunity for it, but I feel like this is something Sakurai would try to do at some point in the Smash series. I've always been wondering if they could make Master Hand work as a proper fighter (and after World of Light, I'd been almost anticipating it), but otherwise, I'm curious.

I don't know if it's likely for DLC, but this whole game is about things that aren't likely, so how would you feel if one of the DLC fighters were wholly original?
I think Smash fans would riot because for the most part people only see character selection as a sport to win or lose based on their favorites, but

It's honestly not all that different from what Omega Force does with licensed musou titles and I've never really had a problem with that.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

People would flip the fuck out when there's so many characters that people want in.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019

I'd actually be pretty cool with this, although I would actually propose simply making one of the already-existing original Smash characters/bosses playable. Master Hand, for example - he's already playable in World of Light, and with quite a lot of moves to boot. The move-set potential is therefore not only existent but proven, and all they'd really have to do is size him down to make him work, something Sakurai has proven resistant to but not immovably so. This is the case for Duon, Galleom, and Tabuu, as well. Heck, even Master Core could work, given the appropriate adaptations.

Master/Crazy hand in particular though, I think, have earned this treatment. They're video game icons in their own right, and they'd be a blast to play.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That's not what people want from Smash.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather have a playable Wallmaster than a playable Master Hand tbh

plus we finally get another Zelda rep. everyone's into that

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
We can just give the Wallmaster Master Hand's moves and compromise. The cool design of a Wallmaster and the absurd moves of Master Hand. Win-win. Throw in a nice Glover taunt and how could anyone be angry?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017

To be honest I think I'll have roughly the same reaction I had to Piranha Plant... Like I understand it's cool and unique and interesting, but it feels like a missed opportunity to satisfy another character's fanbase. There are so many more beloved characters out there.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017

Smash is primarily a fan service game so honestly, and I hate that I'm typing this, I'd see that as a waste of a slot.

I play Smash purly for fun so I don't really care about how viable a character is for fighting so an OC would give me nothing. Heck, now that Omega and BF forms are a thing, I barely touch Battlefield and Final Destination since I can play on "those" while also enjoying fan service.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA

I had the idea that they should make Fighting Polygons as a Smash playable character. It would use a bunch of things that were unique to Smash. I've also jokingly said Master Hand is coming for this pass.

So I'm all for it. But I think with the Mii Fighters using the Smash logo, and the dislike for a lot of the unique enemies in Brawl- I'm not feeling it happening this time. Sure would be good for a surprise character in a future installment though.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Agreed tbh KOS-MOS is the most popular thing in Xenoblade 2. She beat Pyra/Rex, Fiora, Elma, and Shulk in Japanese twitter hits. I found that shocking.

I don't think we should take Japanese twitter hits as the be all and end all for popularity. KOS-MOS is cool, but I don't think she's more popular than any Xenoblade lead (Shulk/Pyra/Elma).

I imagine that the vast majority of Xenoblade fans, particularly those in Europe, have no idea who she is.

Last edited:

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018

Not particularly, because there's nothing unique about the OC that can't be applied to an existing character. Normally you give the opportunity for people to get attached to the character through in-game interaction and stories (you see that in other fighting games), but smash doesn't give much opportunities for the former.
It's hard for me to get attached to something I know nothing about, or will get to know better outside of the fights itself.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I get the desire to make fans happy and not "waste space" on the roster, but man, I feel bad for Master Hand if he's amassed this little support in two decades.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Alright here's a follow up question. I'm almost 100% sure they would absolutely NOT do this, but let's pretend:

Would you guys feel the same indifference if an original character (let's soften it, someone who already exists. Polygon fighter, Master Hand/Crazy Hand, Subspace etc.) were FREE DLC instead of a paid fighter?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Alright here's a follow up question. I'm almost 100% sure they would absolutely NOT do this, but let's pretend:

Would you guys feel the same indifference if an original character (let's soften it, someone who already exists. Polygon fighter, Master Hand/Crazy Hand, Subspace etc.) were FREE DLC instead of a paid fighter?
Monetary cost isn't really the issue, it's developer bandwidth cost. That time could be spent on getting another existing character into the game, so people would still be upset.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Okay, here's a question for you all, then: Jonesy or a Smash OC?

Some subset of ten-year-olds and Twitch streamers would probably be excited about it, I'm sure - do you hold fast on the "waste of dev resources" argument in the wake of such overwhelming evil?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I have a long, long list of characters no one really cares about I'd like to see before a Smash OC no one really cares about

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH

If Sakurai chose a suitable character designer for the job, it could be fine. I don't trust that they could pull it off successfully using the same person responsible for previous Smash original designs.

And even then, It would take a top tier character design to be even slightly accepted. So I'd prefer they didn't try.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I don't think we should take Japanese twitter hits as the be all and end all for popularity. KOS-MOS is cool, but I don't think she's more popular than any Xenoblade lead (Shulk/Pyra/Elma).

I imagine that the vast majority of Xenoblade fans, particularly those in Europe, have no idea who she is.

I think she is just by looking at all the figurines she got and crossover appearances. That being said... your 2nd point is agreeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.