• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of support for Arle lately: that's what I'd call a cool surprise. Female, repping a new genre in Smash and as a bonus you get the bonus of "who the fuck is this" and "lol this over Dante?".

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I think she is just by looking at all the figurines she got and crossover appearances. That being said... your 2nd point is agreeable.

I think she certainly has a richer history and has appeared in more games, mostly due to her age. However, I don't think that necessarily makes her more popular.

But hey, whatever my opinion, more Xeno representation is good!

I doubt we'll get a XC2 character in this pass, so KOS-MOS is more likely. Fingers crossed... even if it appears unlikely based on what some are saying.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of support for Arle lately: that's what I'd call a cool surprise. Female, repping a new genre in Smash and as a bonus you get the bonus of "who the fuck is this" and "lol this over Dante?".
The biggest surprise here being she's one of the characters I was pushing ergo people have, for some reason, actually listened to me to once (they'll try to deny it mind, to keep up appearances, but I know).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Heard from many people how troubled the internet can be there and the absurdity surrounding NBN or whatever. I swear half the people from accross the ditch I try to netplay are on some dodgy internet.
Oh, no, my problems had nothing to do with the shitty internet service within our country (though that is a problem that continues to dangle over us).

My router fried. After so many years of (poor) service, it was inevitable.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
OK last question (because this conversation is interesting to me): if Master Hand were a DLC fighter of any kind (free, fighters pass 5 or post pass fighter), how would you feel? How do you think the reaction would go?

(And while these posts are mostly fueled by good old fashioned PBR, I'm surprised by how many of you responded so thanks for humoring me, I enjoyed getting some perspective on something I haven't seen discussed yet)

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
OK last question (because this conversation is interesting to me): if Master Hand were a DLC fighter of any kind (free, fighters pass 5 or post pass fighter), how would you feel? How do you think the reaction would go?

(And while these posts are mostly fueled by good old fashioned PBR, I'm surprised by how many of you responded so thanks for humoring me, I enjoyed getting some perspective on something I haven't seen discussed yet)
Judging by the reaction from others here, I would be reasonably happy and everyone else would look something like this.

194201142_5f1d9f4dc7_b.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zippo's comments really make it sound like it could be Travis. I can't think of any other characters that fit the description.

But if that was the case, why didn't they drop his Smash reveal onto the end of that awesome NMH3 trailer they dropped at the Game Awards? I get not wanting to overshadow it, but... it would have been perfect.
I could see a few different reasons for it, none of which have to do with the character selection itself. Last year's Joker drop was so pitch perfect that I feel like trying to recreate that effect for a character who - regardless of identity - wouldn't have had the same effect, would likely be seen as a tone deaf attempt to market it. More importantly the reason Smash even got a character reveal at TGA in 2018 was on the back of imminent release hype and to sell passes, whereas by now they've pretty much sold most of 'em. A character 5 reveal would largely be preaching to the choir there. They're already contending with a lot of other publishers on stage for valuable reveal time so to try prioritizing a reveal for a character they've already "sold" is unnecessary.

Instead whatever they brought to TGA could instead be seen as a marketing opportunity to push an upcoming game. What only really surprised me is how they didn't go with a first party reveal given that according to reports, Nintendo's going to have a major 2020 in this regard. It seems to spell a level of confidence in NMH3 thats surprising. Assuming a situation where Travis is character 5 the best point of reference would've been how Nintendo pushed Dragon Quest relatively hard in last year's Direct preceding E3 despite the actual reveal being at E3.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Sakurai asked people if they could guess who the fighter is, because he knows that absolutely no one would even consider Yumetaro.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
It seems to spell a level of confidence in NMH3 thats surprising.
An alternative view on this is that Nintendo feels confident that the IPs they're going to be pushing this year will stand on their own or perform at the expected level without a strong marketing push super far in advance, and they thought it would be more appropriate to give that broader push to an IP they clearly have a lot of personal faith in but which hasn't historically been a huge blockbuster hit. I could see them doing this in an attempt to make No More Heroes a bigger deal than it's typically thought of as.

Sakurai asked people if they could guess who the fighter is, because he knows that absolutely no one would even consider Yumetaro.
Sakurai asked people to guess the fighter because he lied when he said the fighters were already decided in 2018 - he's actually been procrastinating since Terry came out and he's crowdsourcing ideas for a character he can make in two days.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I was banned for a week because some mod really misinterpreted something I said about the Prez, and I don't wanna scroll through 2000 posts so forgive me for any rudeness here but is there like a cliffnotes on who Zippo is and what they have actually said? Thanks in advance

Oct 31, 2017
Sakurai asked people to guess the fighter because he lied when he said the fighters were already decided in 2018 - he's actually been procrastinating since Terry came out and he's crowdsourcing ideas for a character he can make in two days.
Nah dawg, he just knows that he's broken his own "only game characters" rule and is putting Goku in so no one is actually going to guess it in earnest before the reveal.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Moving aside from dlc 5 speculation - has there been any other 2d fighters that are more iconic/commercially successful than Street fighter/SNK? I know that MK is one of them, but I was thinking about it and it doesn't seem like there are any other similar alternatives.

Closest I could think of was the Blazblue series but even those never seemed to hit the highs of the previous 2 series.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Moving aside from dlc 5 speculation - has there been any other 2d fighters that are more iconic/commercially successful than Street fighter/SNK? I know that MK is one of them, but I was thinking about it and it doesn't seem like there are any other similar alternatives.

Closest I could think of was the Blazblue series but even those never seemed to hit the highs of the previous 2 series.
MvC?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

More ironic than Street Fighter? Nah bro.

But Guilty Gear will be the next fighting game franchise in Smash; definitely the more likely Arc Sys rep than Blazblue.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

Tekken was huge, it still has a lot of buzz on evo

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Iconic fighting game characters you say
1b7403c336233d11fb94fbd0a65dbefa4687b3bd.png

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I was thinking more along the lines of original IPs rather than crossovers of existing properties, but yea.

More ironic than Street Fighter? Nah bro.

But Guilty Gear will be the next fighting game franchise in Smash; definitely the more likely Arc Sys rep than Blazblue.
Somehow I remembered Blazblue coming over GG, haha. But it doesn't seem like there's anything after SF other than SNK.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously Clay Fighter is the answer.

Joking aside, Street Fighter and SNK's various series are, I would argue, super far apart from anything else in terms of how impactful they were. Mortal Kombat is big and popular, but it didn't contribute nearly as much to fighting games as SF and SNK.
I would guess the closest 2D fighting game beyond those is Guilty Gear, because it definitely had a big impact as well, being the series that popularized the "anime fighter".

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I was banned for a week because some mod really misinterpreted something I said about the Prez, and I don't wanna scroll through 2000 posts so forgive me for any rudeness here but is there like a cliffnotes on who Zippo is and what they have actually said? Thanks in advance
Zippo is a poster confirmed by mods "to be in a position to know things", but only posted vague unconfirmed stuff until now afaik.
Regarding Smash, he posted at first that the next character was someone "kinda sorta first party" that he compared to Bayonetta (as in wouldn't be here/relevant without Nintendo, but not first party), before backtracking a bit by saying that it's not necessarily the next character and could be another one down the line (without precising how much down the line). Also said that the next character isn't KOS-MOS.
Don't think he said anything else since.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

images

Edit: Wait, you talked about MK already in your post

I need my morning coffee.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Zippo is a poster confirmed by mods "to be in a position to know things", but only posted vague unconfirmed stuff until now afaik.
Regarding Smash, he posted at first that the next character was someone "kinda sorta first party" that he compared to Bayonetta (as in wouldn't be here/relevant without Nintendo, but not first party), before backtracking a bit by saying that it's not necessarily the next character and could be another one down the line (without precising how much down the line). Also said that the next character isn't KOS-MOS.
Don't think he said anything else since.

Thanks again!

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Speaking of Zippo, just seen that lol

Is that why I thought he spoke too much like twitter insiders last time?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
YouTube taunts me every time I see the recommended videos on the home screen by featuring Sakurai's livestream right there (sometimes even two or three of them, for different regions!)

Status
Not open for further replies.