• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm basing this off second hand impressions and skimming a TVTropes article but

I do like that we have both an unambiguously violent and destructive female antagonist in the game, as well as one you can decide to side with.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A Three Houses morality discussion?

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Just a weird take that seeks to eliminate all nuance of the situation. Comparing an abuser to an Emperor because they sought to end a harmful system, informed by her trauma of being abused, is silly. Edelgard is not a good person, but I don't think I need to explain the difference between these two characters.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Blockbuster has a board game now. It comes in one of those big VHS cases they used to use.

The 90s was a strange time.
While Blockbuster was in its death spiral, my employer at the time partnered with them (and Hollywood Video) to pilot a program to distribute rentals on SD cards playable on proprietary set-top boxes.

It will not shock you to know that this pilot program was not a success.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a weird take that seeks to eliminate all nuance of the situation. Comparing an abuser to an Emperor because they sought to end a harmful system, informed by her trauma of being abused, is silly. Edelgard is not a good person, but I don't think I need to explain the difference between these two characters.
that's what people say about Griffith too tbh

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
..........it's a joke, relax.

Have you really not heard the "Grifith did nothing wrong" meme? I know it's a lot more complex then that.(Still worst House Leader.)

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god this is rapidly turning into a Three Houses morality discussion.

Those are the most pointless discussions ever.
I haven't played Three Houses, but it always seems to turn into "Edelgard is a Nazi" versus "Edelgard is upending a corrupt system for the greater good," doesn't it?

For my part, if I ever do play Three Houses I've always kind of gravitated towards Claude, who is apparently the least partisan in this whole mess.

Oct 25, 2017

Have you really not heard the "Grifith did nothing wrong" meme? I know it's a lot more complex then that.(Still worst House Leader.)

I've literally never, just that the comparison is wack.

(and also hard to distinguish a joke from reality when i know someone who was really, really, really upset any time Edelgard came up in discussion)

yup

wouldn't be berserk without unnecessary rape to provide motivation for conflict

Berserk sounds stupid

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only I was taking this seriously.

This isn't necessarily directed at you two since we all do it from time to time (including myself) but I think when it comes to tasteless jokes it's important to know your audience, and that everyone involved can have a good laugh.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Isn't this thread always basically a Three Houses discussion thread?

All I have to add is that Hilda and Claude are the best characters in Three Houses and no one compares, not even your fave.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this thread always basically a Three Houses discussion thread?

All I have to add is that Hilda and Claude are the best characters in Three Houses and no one compares, not even your fave.
As someone that played Golden Deer after Silver Snow (that was probably a mistake on my part), I'm not all that enthralled with Claude. Good guy, but overrated.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I haven't played Three Houses, but it always seems to turn into "Edelgard is a Nazi" versus "Edelgard is upending a corrupt system for the greater good," doesn't it?

For my part, if I ever do play Three Houses I've always kind of gravitated towards Claude, who is apparently the least partisan in this whole mess.
Three Houses' morality is about as deep as "the protagonist is right". Whoever Byleth sides with is right and any potential claims to the contrary in their route are never fleshed out because everyone who doesn't die gets a happy ending anyway.

Also the lords are different characters on the other routes because they weren't around Byleth long enough for them to be a positive influence on them so their actions on one route have absolutely no bearing on the one where they're the main character.

All discussions about Three Houses' morality just devolve into tribalism because there's not enough actual substance for them to go any further. Thus, pointless.

Last edited:

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We have like several threads with this same exact discussion. Take it there. Tired of seeing it

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok seriously people, no Edelgard is not even in the same city as Grifith let alone he same ballpark.

I did not think I needed to clarify this.

I like plenty of characters who've done much worse then her.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Claude ends racism, which makes him the most morally upstanding house leader and thus the best one.

This isn't necessarily directed at you two since we all do it from time to time (including myself) but I think when it comes to tasteless jokes it's important to know your audience, and that everyone involved can have a good laugh.
I honestly didn't expect to get that amount of vitriol in response to a silly comparison, because I never actively followed the worthless Three Houses morality discussions (where this is apparently a common thing?)

Anyone who has played/read both obviously knows that Griffith is far worse; and I hate needing to blatantly spell things out like this.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Claude ends racism, which makes him the most morally upstanding house leader and thus the best one.

I honestly didn't expect to get that amount of vitriol in response to a silly comparison, because I never actively followed the worthless Three Houses morality discussions (where this is apparently a common thing?)

Anyone who has played/read both obviously knows that Griffith is far worse; and I hate needing to blatantly spell things out like this.
Edelgard did nothing/everything wrong is basically a hot button topic in Fire Emblem discourse and has been since Three Houses was released.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's all talk about something we can all agree on.

Like how there's too many fucking Fire Emblem characters in Smash.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Edelgard did nothing/everything wrong is basically a hot button topic in Fire Emblem discourse and has been since Three Houses was released.
Well, i'm aware of that (since it came into these threads at least once or twice), but it seems like the particular comparison between characters isn't an uncommon one? That's what i'm gathering at least.

Besides, that only strengthens the comparison to Griffith; except the Berserk fanbase is able to treat "Griffith did nothing wrong" like the joke it is. Okay i'll stop now.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok seriously people, no Edelgard is not even in the same city as Grifith let alone he same ballpark.

I did not think I needed to clarify this.

I like plenty of characters who've done much worse then her.
You wouldn't believe how hyperbolic people are about Edelgard and how obsessed some of them are with telling everyone how immoral it is to like her.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses' morality is about as deep as "the protagonist is right". Whoever Byleth sides with is right and any potential claims to the contrary in their route are never fleshed out because everyone who doesn't die gets a happy ending anyway.

Also the lords are different characters on the other routes because they weren't around Byleth long enough for them to be a positive influence on them so their actions on one route have absolutely no bearing on the one where they're the main character.
So it's basically TL;DR three children need a babysitter but you're only paid to parent one?

No wonder you say the arguing is pointless, people are arguing politics when the real problem is a lack of positive role models in anyone's lives, LOL

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lyn would have been awesome. Give her this costume though

lyn-cyl-norm.png

Where's her sword? I'm afraid she's not allowed in Smash without one.

Project M Lyn would've been cool.

Sakurai even swiped the "she uses multiple weapons" thing from them for Byleth!

Of the many reasons Byleth infuriates me that they use a slew of fantasy weaponry when I was hoping Chosen Undead or Monster Hunter would get that is definitely up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.