• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I really hope this potential Dragon Quest rep has all of the mainline protagonist's designs as model swaps. 3's protag is cool, but I much prefer some of the others. I'd love to have 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 11's protags be playable.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I really hope this potential Dragon Quest rep has all of the mainline protagonist's designs as model swaps. 3's protag is cool, but I much prefer some of the others. I'd love to have 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 11's protags be playable.

Yeah, the rumor says there'll be 4 unique models with two colors each, but I wish Sakurai could break the "rules" a bit and have him with more than 8 colors so each game can be represented. Like Little Mac in 4.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they're probably gonna make multiple characters at once, but there's a reason why the Fighters Pass is said to be going until February 2020.

They give themselves more time if needed. It does not mean absolute that the final DLC will go as far as Feb 2020

Its possible. Its why they give themselves that time, but its not verbatim

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone, I know you didn't miss me.
  1. Brave is either a genius or an idiot codename or none at all, since Dragon Questers are the only potential answer which got any traction. If it's indeed Dragon Questers it refers to and it is supposed to be mysterious, that's a huge fail - though I can't rule out it being thought through, with someone missing internet knows its bad translation. But maybe they're just nicknames and DLC team likes them more than base one. We'll see with the next one if they'll up their game.
  2. The claims about Doomguy, Gaidener and "Steve?" are extremely unlikely to work out that way, based on mere fact that the cross-promoted games can get delayed.
  3. "Unexpected" along long time is self-fulfilling.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
With Dragon Quest hopefully being included, there are just two third-party series left that I really want to see in Smash Bros. -- Tekken and Resident Evil. Heihachi and Jill (or Chris or Leon) could embody the spirit of their respective series pretty well without too many concessions.

PVSTtUu.png

Heihachi is fairly slow and heavy, and he has poor reach and a low jump, but his basic attacks are among the most powerful in the game. He has plenty of hammer fist strikes, and Stonehead and Jumping Powerbomb are included as throws. Some of his standard attacks have a grounded meteor effect to bounce the opponent up in the air, and he has several combo strings similar to Bayonetta.

Standard Special Move - Raijin Stance
Heihachi enters a brief karate pose, and you can either press A twice to perform the powerful Raijin's Wrath punch combo or press B to perform Lightning Bolt, a punch that crumples the opponent.

Side Special Move - Crouch Dash
Heihachi crouches down and steps forward. You can link this into a second Crouch Dash by pressing B again, or you can tap up and B for Wind God Fist, hold up and B for Dragon Uppercut, or press down and B for Spinning Demon.

Up Special Move - Demon Scissors
Heihachi does a front flip and lands on his back while delivering a heel kick. You can dodge during the ascent to cancel the kick.

Down Special Move - Heaven's Wrath
This has two completely different contextual functions: it counters physical attacks by throwing the opponent backwards, and if Heihachi completes the animation without being hit his next attack is given super armor instead.

Final Smash - Rage Eruption
Heihachi performs his Rage Art strike combo, and if the final hit lands it transitions into a short cutscene where Heihachi picks the opponent up and tosses them off a cliff into a volcano, ending with a large explosion.

U8IwJGn.png

Jill's basic attacks utilize punches and kicks, and she shoves zombies away for her smash attacks. By pressing shield and B on the ground, Jill will kneel down and randomly pick something up off-screen: fuel for her flamethrower, grenade rounds, or a battery for her stun gun. Her ammo count is displayed near her HUD.

Standard Special Move - Flamethrower
Like Bowser's and Charizard's, but you can more freely aim this using the control stick.

Side Special Move - Grenade Launcher
You can tap B to shift between regular rounds, incendiary rounds, acid rounds, and freeze rounds. The grenade lobs out at an arc and explodes shortly thereafter.

Up Special Move - Knife Twist
Jill pulls out her combat knife, grabs the opponent by the collar, and slashes upwards while twisting her body. This still hits if the command grab portion misses, but it does more damage as a grab.

Down Special Move - Stun Gun Counter
Jill readies her stun gun, and if she's hit during the animation she'll counter with a shock that leaves the opponent paralyzed for a few seconds.

Final Smash - Rocket Launcher
Jill pulls out the massive rocket launcher from the end of RE1 and fires four explosive rounds.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Brave is either a genius or an idiot codename or none at all, since Dragon Questers are the only potential answer which got any traction. If it's indeed Dragon Questers it refers to and it is supposed to be mysterious, that's a huge fail

If not for the very convincing rumors/leaks I guarantee that Sora or a Bravely Default character would be dominating the speculation and Erdrick would have been a fringe theory.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
If not for the very convincing rumors/leaks I guarantee that Sora or a Bravely Default character would be dominating the speculation and Erdrick would have been a fringe theory.
Considering that all of the options would be various SquareEnix characters, I'd still say the codename is a bit of a fuckup.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Considering how sora still keeps being mentioned even if every fact points to him not happening in smash ... I doubt logic has anything to do with speculation =P

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I actually want Ryu Hayabusa in Smash Bros. After Mega Man and Simon Belmont, he seems like the logical next step for the classic third party rep that Smash excels at.

Problem is the big rumor has done nothing but paint a huge target on his back for discussions.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Heihachi probably won't be added because Tekken's combo system just wouldn't work well with Smash. The juggles are kind of integral to Tekken characters but they wouldn't work in Smash - and Sakurai clearly doesn't want that kind of combo focus anyway.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I can't know for sure whether you're right or wrong, but I doubt it. I don't know how Brave fits Sora more than, say, quarter of game protagonists - if he's some sort of in-universe avatar of bravery (or cowardice, irony's cool) feel free to correct me. Bravely Default is more obvious from codename standpoint, but the franchise itself is in a Smash speculation skepticism zone, which one prerelease hoax underlined nicely.

DQ, in opposition to BD, was a major speculation thing all the time in Ultimate pre-release conversation - at least post-E3 with Cloud back - regardless of leaks/claims/hoaxes, purely on its Japanese popularity and JRPG root merits, so I think this "yuusha" thing would be stumbled upon regardless and it would not be a fringe thing. Maybe it would be lesser, but why aren't BD and KH characters just lesser now if that's the case?

Dr.Thunder

Oct 29, 2017
I reached Elite status with Zelda! I feel like I've gotten myself in over my head. My heart can't take it every match is too close.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I can't know for sure whether you're right or wrong, but I doubt it. I don't know how Brave fits Sora more than, say, quarter of game protagonists - if he's some sort of in-universe avatar of bravery (or cowardice, irony's cool) feel free to correct me. Bravely Default is more obvious from codename standpoint, but the franchise itself is in a Smash speculation skepticism zone, which one prerelease hoax underlined nicely.

DQ, in opposition to BD, was a major speculation thing all the time in Ultimate pre-release conversation - at least post-E3 with Cloud back - regardless of leaks/claims/hoaxes, purely on its Japanese popularity and JRPG root merits, so I think this "yuusha" thing would be stumbled upon regardless and it would not be a fringe thing. Maybe it would be lesser, but why aren't BD and KH characters just lesser now if that's the case?

The Sora connection is that the first form he obtains in KH2 is Valor, which in Japanese is called Brave. It's easy to envision a Sora moveset that involves switching between forms, so that they would codename him after one of said forms is a pretty plausible scenario.

Anyway, people like to talk about characters they want. DQ isn't particularly popular here compared to KH or even BD, so I imagine that in lieu of any rumors to turn to like we have now, speculation would naturally gravitate toward the more desired options.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Personally the main reason I don't think Sora would make it in is because Nintendo wouldn't want him to be in. Despite the franchise having a history with Nintendo, Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't coming to Switch (though Square have expressed interest in eventually attempting to port it).

It comes down to a question of whether Nintendo would want to include a character to help promote a franchise they have involvement in (something they've admitted to wanting to do), which would be Dragon Quest, or including a character just for the sake of pushing some high sales numbers, which Sora/KH has the advantage of in terms of worldwide appeal. The former seems like the more likely scenario, irregardless of whatever "Brave" is a hint at, but nonetheless I don't wanna count out any possibility just yet.

The only thing that's worth contesting about Sora is the question of whether there'd be trouble negotiating him, and I don't buy it. Disney and Nintendo could 100% work out a good deal (assuming they have Square's blessing), they've worked together multiple times in the past on several exclusives and projects, and Disney is guaranteed to see the upside of having one of their titles receive an awareness boost by being included in a game/franchise that's much bigger. Sora isn't some sacred character here, and it's much more likely that a character like Wreck-It Ralph (who is part of a media franchise Disney commonly actually utilize outside of video games) had far more red tape to deal with when he was included in Sonic All-Stars Racing.

Late but yea i agree with your points, especially the last point. Mainly since it was the thing that was consistently being brought up when sora was being discussed. But i will admit that endrick definitely makes more sense to add.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Finally got caught up on the whole DQ /Ninja Gaiden/whatever rumor.

Yeah, I don't buy it. They're just piggybacking off of MysticDistance, Vergeben, and Hitagi's rumors and adding in new stuff. A lot of people who covered the rumors didn't properly research where what originally came from.

I'm still certain the character is from Dragon Quest, just whether or not which protag it'll be is obviously up for debate. I want all eleven of them to be represented.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. I made a thread asking which new Square character people would want in Ultimate and DQ came in third. This was also before any heavy rumors came out I believe other then a "second Square rep."
https://www.resetera.com/threads/which-second-square-rep-would-be-your-most-wanted-in-smash.70491/

Yeah that's circumstantial but I think DQ would still crop up with the only resistance being because of Sugiyama.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jill's basic attacks utilize punches and kicks, and she shoves zombies away for her smash attacks. By pressing shield and B on the ground, Jill will kneel down and randomly pick something up off-screen: fuel for her flamethrower, grenade rounds, or a battery for her stun gun. Her ammo count is displayed near her HUD.

I like the idea of a "scavenger" type moveset for Jill - I've always kind of struggled with an RE character because they feel really similar to Snake in theory (heavy weaponry + CQC). Having limited resources would help set them apart and capture the survival part of survival horror.

If they balanced it right, dodging and shoving enemies until you have a chance to grab a grenade would feel very RE.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I honestly do think Erdrick is probably in so I'm just gonna brace myself and be pleasantly surprised if it's someone else who I wanted more.

Though now that I got Joker I still hope that maybe one of my other dream picks might make it in as unlikely as it'd probably be.

Travis Touchdown
Shantae
KOS-MOS(did anything ever come of that rumored Xenosaga collection?)
Rex and Pyra
Twintelle(Yes I know Neoxon you don't have to remind me again.)
Any new Zelda character.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. I made a thread asking which new Square character people would want in Ultimate and DQ came in third. This was also before any heavy rumors came out I believe other then a "second Square rep."
https://www.resetera.com/threads/which-second-square-rep-would-be-your-most-wanted-in-smash.70491/

Yeah that's circumstantial but I think DQ would still crop up with the only resistance being because of Sugiyama.
And 15.4% of voters refuse to just let go.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So I honestly do think Erdrick is probably in so I'm just gonna brace myself and be pleasantly surprised if it's someone else who I wanted more.

Though now that I got Joker I still hope that maybe one of my other dream picks might make it in as unlikely as it'd probably be.

Travis Touchdown
Shantae
KOS-MOS(did anything ever come of that rumored Xenosaga collection?)
Rex and Pyra
Twintelle(Yes I know Neoxon you don't have to remind me again.)
Any new Zelda character.
Just swap KOS-MOS for Wonder Red & Shantae for a Rhythm Heaven rep and you have my sword (though I get that we need more black/brown characters & women). Hell, you already have it now.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
so I registered my physical copy through the switch menu, I recall getting an email a few days later about entering a code for the Plant dlc. At the time I couldnt do it, so I marked it as important. but now several weeks later I cant find that email for the life of me. Anyone know, what the subject line of the email from nintendo was or any other details that might help in tracking it down? Thanks!

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
so I registered my physical copy through the switch menu, I recall getting an email a few days later about entering a code for the Plant dlc. At the time I couldnt do it, so I marked it as important. but now several weeks later I cant find that email for the life of me. Anyone know, what the subject line of the email from nintendo was or any other details that might help in tracking it down? Thanks!
Mine was "Your Piranha Plant Fighter code is here!", but I'm in the UK so I don't know if it's different elsewhere.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Just search for "piranha".

How many emails could you possible have that have the title piranha, lol

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Have any rumours gotten any traction since the Steve/Ryu/Erdrick/Doomguy one? I am disappointed that I don't see lots of speculation like pre-launch

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
The characters seem somewhat plausible from a promotional standpoint, but I don't think the leak itself is legitimate. There's no way that somebody would know why all of the DLC characters were chosen and when they're going to be revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.