• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
While it's entirely possible (and even likely) that Brave is Erdrick, it's also not a lock. It's not like the code name "YorHa" showing up, which could only be three realistic possibilities, all from the same game.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope lmao

I mean all I can recommend is getting better at moving around. You're going to have to practice jumping with good timing to avoid a projectile and close some space between you and the opponent. Parrying won't take you far, but it would help you out as an option. Maybe practice rolls and spot dodges to avoid projectiles as well. Airdodges can also help as backwards as that may sound, since you can avoid plenty of attacks and land in a place you want to. Once you've done all that, practice shield poking. Besides all that.... you might just want to pick up a character with a counter or a reflect lol.

Your best bet is finding as many tutorial videos on YouTube lol.
K thanks for the tips will consider those, I wish shield only blocked the front and back of the character and not the the top and bottom lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Brave" just doesn't feel like the same level of abstraction that Joker got in his code name "Jack". Brave is too direct a connection to the Japanese designation to the hero. It's entirely possible Brave is indeed Erdrick, but I share your skepticism of people who consider him 100% a lock.

While it's entirely possible (and even likely) that Brave is Erdrick, it's also not a lock. It's not like the code name "YorHa" showing up, which could only be three realistic possibilities, all from the same game.

Yeah that. I feel like Brave should have been called Hero, Eiyuu or Yuusha if it were Erdrick. Brave just feels like this weird deadzone where there's the possibility it's not the character everyone thinks it is.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Can they fucking show and release Joker and announce Erdrick already lol?

I haven't even been on the smash DLC hype train (although I'm still looking forward to it) but this wait is starting to get to me, it's as if we've been in the exact same scenario for the past 3/4 months.

I need a shake up in speculation that kills the current status quo, kinda like the grinch leak even though it wasn't real. Totally here for brave not being Erdrick and better yet being a first party character or something

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't even been on the smash DLC hype train (although I'm still looking forward to it) but this wait is starting to get to me, it's as if we've been in the exact same scenario for the past 3/4 months.

I need a shake up in speculation that kills the current status quo, kinda like the grinch leak even though it wasn't real. Totally here for brave not being Erdrick and better yet being a first party character or something
Dread it. Run from it.

Erdrick still arrives.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought we'd be using more Dragonball memes to talk about Erdrick/DQ Hero.

(We've only been waiting for five minutes.)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's where I stand. Erdrick (or any Dragon Quest character) has a 90% chance of getting in as being who the "Brave" placeholder is for. But at the same time, that 10% chance that it could be someone else still exists, so we can't treat it as a given (not yet, anyway).

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018

Agreed. I want to be surprised. Reveal Crono or Sora instead of Erdrick, and deconfirm all Microsoft characters. That would be refreshing, though at the same time I would be sorry for all the people who will be sad if that happens.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Tansut hint at Erdrick? That more or less sealed it for me.

I can't remember where I read this so please correct me if I'm wrong, but Tansut only hinted at Cloud right before his reveal, and there was never another picture besides the Ken leak (which he claimed was not what Nintendo was angry about) going around, publicly at least.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want 2P.
maxresdefault.jpg

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but has Tansut ever gotten anything right besides Cloud? Like couldn't he have just gotten lucky an said Cloud right before he happened? Like you guys are not going to treat me as some kind of magical insider after Master Chief gets confirmed just cause I've been constantly screaming about Master Chief being 100% a lock for DLC.
He wasn't going around screaming about Cloud being a lock, though, he just quietly dropped the info shortly before the reveal and then bowed out of the thread. He's not an attention seeker.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but has Tansut ever gotten anything right besides Cloud? Like couldn't he have just gotten lucky an said Cloud right before he happened? Like you guys are not going to treat me as some kind of magical insider after Master Chief gets confirmed just cause I've been constantly screaming about Master Chief being 100% a lock for DLC.
Tansut gave us a hint that there was something going on internally that's made some people unhappy and that there was a leak about Ultimate on the internet before release.

Turned out to be some QA guys that were giving out legit Ult info shortly after Isaebelle's reveal such as the rest of her moveset, Incineroat and some of his move set like his Side B and it involving ropes, and even found out that Plant was going to be DLC

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. It's not a graphically demanding game. It would just need a lot of optimization

While I personally don't care for her, 2B does kind of feel like a character Sakurai would go for. Only problem is that Nier hasn't had any real presence on Ninty hardware.

That is, unless there's a Automata port in the works.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

Right? It's hard to believe a character we've known nearly nothing about for so long is supposed to release in a couple of weeks. I think this can all be blamed on the way Persona stuff is being marketed right now. I think the others won't be done like this. The Smash site has been frozen for months! (except the Japanese site)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Right? It's hard to believe a character we've known nearly nothing about for so long is supposed to release in a couple of weeks. I think this can all be blamed on the way Persona stuff is being marketed right now. I think the others won't be done like this. The Smash site has been frozen for months! (except the Japanese site)

I mean it was the same way with Smash 4 DLC. If it wasn't for the leak, Ryu would have been revealed and shadowdropped in the same day.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joker is probably at least partly to tie in with the Persona R stuff and the fact they probably just started when he was announced.

I feel like we'll get a much faster turnaround for the other DLC characters.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tansut gave us a hint that there was something going on internally that's made some people unhappy and that there was a leak about Ultimate on the internet before release.

Turned out to be some QA guys that were giving out legit Ult info shortly after Isaebelle's reveal such as the rest of her moveset, Incineroat and some of his move set like his Side B and it involving ropes, and even found out that Plant was going to be DLC

When did we learn that?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Tansut said that the thing Nintendo was angry about was a picture leak that wasn't the Ken leak, and he said that later than at least Isabelle's reveal.
You might be right.

Honestly, the list of things that would anger Nintendo at the time about Smash leaks was probably a long one.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly so hard to keep track of all the behind the scenes Smash leaks and rumors and all that.

(I'm getting old.)

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Oh hey I got a notification I was tagged! I might as well try to clear up as much as I can real quick to help avoid any confusion....

I found out about Cloud in September of that year. I was only told about him with the assurance I wouldn't leak it ahead of time. Trust me, I WISH I could have spilled the beans, but aside from respecting this person's wishes I also respected the fact that it would have spoiled a pretty amazing direct and in the end it was totally worth it. That thread was nuts.

I only started dabbling in being someone that talks like they know something when some leaks were going around a few days before the direct he was to be revealed in. Basically I responded to a few posts debunking some Smash leaks because they didn't have Cloud on them. I said something to the effect that nobody would believe me if I revealed what I knew anyway, but I felt like I ought to debunk what I could at the time regardless.

Then the day of the direct happens and since that thread was going at a ridiculous clip I decided to do a leak of Cloud in the guise of a Star Wars prediction (Luke the blonde protagonist with Cloud City as the stage). It wouldn't make any sense or give anything away before hand, but a couple people picked up on it after the fact.

After that I found out when he would be released, so I leaked that as a weather forecast saying it would be cloudy on that date. I was technically off on that, but only because I was told the Japan time release date and didn't realize it at the time.

Fast forward to Ultimate hype. In early-ish fall (I think) I heard about a leak that a certain company (you can fill in the dots here) was not happy about, and assumed it was an image leak. To this day I'm not sure if it was a Smash leak or maybe a Final Fantasy leak that caused some internal memos to be sent... just that they weren't happy about something that got out. The only other thing I ever found out beforehand was that the Grinch leak was most likely a fake, which I shared because I hated seeing people get hyped for something I was pretty sure wasn't going to go the way they hoped. I did not want to be right about that, for what it's worth.

This past December I got confirmation about Erdrick, or that at least that it's a DQ character as one of the DLC characters. I was never corrected when I used Erdrick as the name when talking to them, so I don't see a reason to assume it's someone else like Luminary. I got the feeling that I only found out then because they were, at that point, still in a very early state. I was told to not expect anything like a reveal soon, so I wasn't totally shocked he wasn't at the last direct, especially since Joker was still barely shown and he's farther along.

When is he coming? Honestly I dunno. Any date or timeframe I give is pure speculation, and I try to leave that out as much as possible since it just muddies the water.

So that's all I got. Well, other than apparently Cloud was a pricey fella to get into Smash.

Let me know if anything still is confusing!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also regarding the 14 empty DLC slots, apparently there were a bunch leftover in Smash For's code?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey I got a notification I was tagged! I might as well try to clear up as much as I can real quick to help avoid any confusion....

I found out about Cloud in September of that year. I was only told about him with the assurance I wouldn't leak it ahead of time. Trust me, I WISH I could have spilled the beans, but aside from respecting this person's wishes I also respected the fact that it would have spoiled a pretty amazing direct and in the end it was totally worth it. That thread was nuts.

I only started dabbling in being someone that talks like they know something when some leaks were going around a few days before the direct he was to be revealed in. Basically I responded to a few posts debunking some Smash leaks because they didn't have Cloud on them. I said something to the effect that nobody would believe me if I revealed what I knew anyway, but I felt like I ought to debunk what I could at the time regardless.

Then the day of the direct happens and since that thread was going at a ridiculous clip I decided to do a leak of Cloud in the guise of a Star Wars prediction (Luke the blonde protagonist with Cloud City as the stage). It wouldn't make any sense or give anything away before hand, but a couple people picked up on it after the fact.

After that I found out when he would be released, so I leaked that as a weather forecast saying it would be cloudy on that date. I was technically off on that, but only because I was told the Japan time release date and didn't realize it at the time.

Fast forward to Ultimate hype. In early-ish fall (I think) I heard about a leak that a certain company (you can fill in the dots here) was not happy about, and assumed it was an image leak. To this day I'm not sure if it was a Smash leak or maybe a Final Fantasy leak that caused some internal memos to be sent... just that they weren't happy about something that got out. The only other thing I ever found out beforehand was that the Grinch leak was most likely a fake, which I shared because I hated seeing people get hyped for something I was pretty sure wasn't going to go the way they hoped. I did not want to be right about that, for what it's worth.

This past December I got confirmation about Erdrick, or that at least that it's a DQ character as one of the DLC characters. I was never corrected when I used Erdrick as the name when talking to them, so I don't see a reason to assume it's someone else like Luminary. I got the feeling that I only found out then because they were, at that point, still in a very early state. I was told to not expect anything like a reveal soon, so I wasn't totally shocked he wasn't at the last direct, especially since Joker was still barely shown and he's farther along.

When is he coming? Honestly I dunno. Any date or timeframe I give is pure speculation, and I try to leave that out as much as possible since it just muddies the water.

So that's all I got. Well, other than apparently Cloud was a pricey fella to get into Smash.

Thanks for responding and clearing all that up for us. It's really appreciated.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Without giving too much way, the people who told you about Erdrick/DQ are the same guys who told you about Cloud for Smash 4, right?

Thanks for the info, anyway.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

The Price of Freedom.

(Great FFVII crisis Core track)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I can't pretend I'm particularly excited about Erdrick as a fighter in Smash, but Dragon Quest is a storied enough series to be implemented. It's a classic that got its start on the NES the same as Final Fantasy, Castlevania, and Mega Man. As a huge Dragon Ball fan, I'm interested to see a Toriyama character get into the mix.

He's the type of character where he doesn't really appeal to me that much but I very much appreciate why he's in the game.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Yup. I got the DQ (Dairy Queen) reveal idea from them, too.
Thanks for coming by to clarify, Tansut. I guess that 90% went up to 95%.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't pretend I'm particularly excited about Erdrick as a fighter in Smash, but Dragon Quest is a storied enough series to be implemented. It's a classic that got its start on the NES the same as Final Fantasy, Castlevania, and Mega Man. As a huge Dragon Ball fan, I'm interested to see a Toriyama character get into the mix.

He's the type of character where he doesn't really appeal to me that much but I very much appreciate why he's in the game.

I'm in the same boat. There's a slew of characters I'd rather see but if Erdrick gets in it's hard to argue against his inclusion.

Oct 25, 2017
Erdrick would be such a boring choice for a character compared to Chrono or Geno
Geno has only been a side character in one game. Chrono on the other hand has been in two games and is in one of the most critically acclaimed RPG's of all time. I only prefer him to any DQ character is because of the setting and music. DQ does not compare to Yoshinari Mitsuda's finest.

Status
Not open for further replies.