• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread | The Wild Ride is still on!

Mar 9, 2018
To return to Pauline, I think Pauline is now known for being a singer and a mayor. That is what her moveset should be based on if she gets in right now.
Maybe she has special attacks where she sings and makes characters within a certain vicinity taunt, so they're like dancing. Maybe in her final smash, she commands a fleet of New Donk City taxi cabs to run over opponents like Yoshi's Final Smash.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
To return to Pauline, I think Pauline is now known for being a singer and a mayor. That is what her moveset should be based on if she gets in right now.
Maybe she has special attacks where she sings and makes characters within a certain vicinity taunt, so they're like dancing. Maybe in her final smash, she commands a fleet of New Donk City taxi cabs to run over opponents like Yoshi's Final Smash.
Standard special: Girder - Lay down a girder. Temporarily adds to the stage. If laid down in the air the girder will fall to the ground and can be used for attacks.
Side Special: Hammer Mini Mario: a dual Hammer Mario is sent out. Charge it for more distance.
Up Special: Spring - launch up on a DK spring that falls below. Can be picked up by opponents
Down Special: Chorus - pushes players and items away with no damage, charge pushes them farther. Can be used to absorb or reflect projectiles, though the latter is difficult. No damage.
Final Smash: Jump Up Superstar - the band appears and sings a short chorus while players caught in the attack are shuffled around the busy streets and crowd of New Donk taking damage. Her last note can send them pushed hard off stage.
Standard moves are jabs, music notes, call backs to DK items.

This is how I see her. Medium speed, but light. She's a setup character who can use the mini Marios and girders to control space.

Feb 1, 2018
Combination of the Jane datamine and the Persona Concert with P5R reveal has me thinking that's the venue for 3.0 information. Seems more likely to me now than it getting a Direct.
Something makes me doubt that Nintendo would want the first Fighter's Pass character and biggest update to date to be revealed at an Atlus event... An event that may or may not even have ANY Switch announcements.

How many of the >12m owners of Smash will watch the P5R/P5S announcements? I doubt it'll get its own direct but it'll be on Nintendo's terms.

Oct 25, 2017
Something makes me doubt that Nintendo would want the first Fighter's Pass character and biggest update to date to be revealed at an Atlus event... An event that may or may not even have ANY Switch announcements.

How many of the >12m owners of Smash will watch the P5R/P5S announcements? I doubt it'll get its own direct but it'll be on Nintendo's terms.
And if Smash has a female Joker then she will be revealed on Atlus' terms. I doubt that Sakurai will debut a brand new Persona character first.

Feb 1, 2018
And if Smash has a female Joker then she will be revealed on Atlus' terms. I doubt that Sakurai will debut a brand new Persona character first.
I agree. Joker will probably drop after 4.25/26 if the Jane leak is true, as P5R/P5S information including female Joker (if that's what P5R girl is) would come first but I doubt the Persona event will have any Smash information.

It's somewhat possible they announce 3.0.0's contents and show off Joker, but leave the alt as a surprise

Like have the Direct on the 23rd, use the concert to announce the alt as a special surprise (and add Joker's alts to the website at this point), and then release the update on the 26th (or whatever the day after the concert is)

Oct 28, 2017

They could show the video there first before showing an online stream version afterwards (which also could add stuff about the 3.0 update, not just Joker himself). It will be kind of odd if they wait until after the event for the reveal but have no presence in the event itself.

What about this:
  • Tomorrow they announce a Smash Direct for Thursday, which will give us details about ver. 3.0.0, Challenger Pack 1 and possibly 2.
  • Ver. 3.0.0 without Joker will release this weekend to coincide with Easter, giving us enough time to save our replays.
  • Joker will release after the Persona concert so Atlus can give us details about Jane without Smash spoiling it.
Sounds good to me.

Apr 8, 2018
Announcing a DLC character 5 months ahead of time was painful

Hopefully they never do this again
You're dead on. They announced Joker way way too early.

That game awards reveal was probably the first time I hyped over an announcement in years, but the incredibly long wait for a SINGLE DLC character and the total lack of information between announcement and release has deflated the entire thing.

Oct 25, 2017
It was obviously shocking to see Joker revealed for Smash, but the trailer itself was anticlimactic to me. I can't get excited over a cartoon and months of radio silence. Newcomers shouldn't be revealed until a gameplay trailer is ready.

Oct 25, 2017
It was obviously shocking to see Joker revealed for Smash, but the trailer itself was anticlimactic to me. I can't get excited over a cartoon and months of radio silence. Newcomers shouldn't be revealed until a gameplay trailer is ready.
I can't see anything like that happening again for the rest of the fighter pass.

Joker was a special case because they wanted people buying the pass right as the game came out.

Nah, the Joker announcement was fine. It's not their fault this fanbase is seriously impatient.
If they take 5 months to reveal each fighter like they did with Joker it will take another 20 months for the others to release. So sometime in 2021/2022 is when all the DLC would be released. Nintendo plans on releasing all fighters by February 2020.