• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
YR erdrick looks like this in smash
20190416_131955.jpg

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After buying this game at launch and playing some story I dropped it (I really liked it btw!).

I went back to playing it again yesterday and I am wondering if any of the DLC characters have been released? I purchased the first pass (one that gives you 5 DLC characters I believe) so I was wondering what the latest on this was.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After buying this game at launch and playing some story I dropped it (I really liked it btw!).

I went back to playing it again yesterday and I am wondering if any of the DLC characters have been released? I purchased the first pass (one that gives you 5 DLC characters I believe) so I was wondering what the latest on this was.

Joker by the end of the month

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, thanks. This looks like it was taken a while ago though, I wonder if time has changed anything. Every poll I've ever seen has Alena or Terry at the top.

Granted I still consider all of these characters pretty obscure to the average Smash player. I guess my definition of heavy hitter is a lot different. I don't know a single person that knew who Joker was before the announcement, and I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone that knows who Erdrick is by name aside maybe my one friend from Japan.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The wait for Joker has been excruciating less because of how long it's been and more because of the total lack of info. It's been five months and we still know nothing.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Piranha Plant released, though it's not part of the Fighters Pass. There was a promotion to get a code for it if you registered the game, but if you didn't get that, it's $5.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
As if really means much.

Initial hype for Joker worked really well. Doesn't really matter if everyone is "over it". They'll get you again with a full reveal or teasing another character.

Personally, I find it pointless to feel anxious about Joker Info. Always felt the 1st DLC was going to take a long while. Mewtwo felt worst personally, I didn't much to play on the Wii U to pass the time lol.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
As if really means much.

Initial hype for Joker worked really well. Doesn't really matter if everyone is "over it". They'll get you again with a full reveal or teasing another character.

Personally, I find it pointless to feel anxious about Joker Info. Always felt the 1st DLC was going to take a long while. Mewtwo felt worst personally, I didn't much to play on the Wii U to pass the time lol.

I don't mind it taking long, but I want to see something. We could get footage of characters 2-3 months before they were released, so I was really hoping we would get gameplay footage in February.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind it taking long, but I want to see something. We could get footage of characters 2-3 months before they were released, so I was really hoping we would get gameplay footage in February.
*Sakurai talks for fifteen minutes over footage of Erdrick T-posing opponents to death.*

MonkeyDLenny

Apr 15, 2019
I really hope Erdrick isn't the next reveal...

That means the Steveposters are going to be worse than ever and will be assuming they've won because 'their guy' got in

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sakurai specifically said DQ3 was his favorite Dragon Quest game in the franchise. And Erdrick hailed from that game as well.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I wonder how people would have reacted to Erdrick if he dropped fresh, no leaks or datamines.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why people are trying to dismiss the Mewtwo comparisons. The first time we saw Mewtwo was in October of 2014, and it didn't come out until April of 2015. The time table with Joker is pretty much the same, if not a bit more rushed out, since with Mewtwo we had at least seen its character model and it didn't come with a stage to boot.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are still so negative on Dragon Quest in Smash.
DLC talk this time around seems more vicious because Sakurai gave us a specific number of characters to expect. I think this is the one case in Smash history when treating characters as taking another one's spot, in the vaguest of senses, is justified.
Given L/R shenanigans, could we agree to spell Erdrick Eldritch?
Just call him Loto.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
This is the reason Dock left Minecraft btw

https://notch.tumblr.com/post/372279446/dock-is-no-longer-involved-with-the-project

However, I went from doing Minecraft on my own to suddenly having to wait for someone else before I could move on. We had repeated problems getting anything animated to load into the game, and eventually I decided to just go ahead on my own.

It is now known that Notch is a terrible human being, but even before then, I always thought he was just a lazy, mediocre developer, especially considering how Minecraft was released literally unfinished back in 2011.

Rockcock64's review of Minecraft 1.0 is still legendary to this day

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
3058379-calendar.gif

Joker trains hard all day in the Smash dojo. He's ready. He's been ready. He grabs his bag, his Smash invite carefully tucked inside. This is it!

Sakurai, perched on a shelf by the door,
"You must be tired after today. Let's go to sleep."

Joker returns to his room.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Erdrick is the Dragon Quest equivalent to how the Zelda series constantly refers back to Ocarina & the Hero of Time. It would be shocking if he wasn't "Brave".

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that maybe people are just generally sick of anime/RPG swordsmen, kinda the reason no one wants another FE rep.

Pause

Feb 22, 2018
This is the reason Dock left Minecraft btw

https://notch.tumblr.com/post/372279446/dock-is-no-longer-involved-with-the-project

It is now known that Notch is a terrible human being, but even before then, I always thought he was just a lazy, mediocre developer, especially considering how Minecraft was released literally unfinished back in 2011.

Rockcock64's review of Minecraft 1.0 is still legendary to this day

Interesting time capsule, for sure.

https://notch.tumblr.com/post/28188312756/gender-in-minecraft?is_related_post=1

Sheesh, what changed since 2012? This post still sounds so reasonable.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that maybe people are just generally sick of anime/RPG swordsmen, kinda the reason no one wants another FE rep.
I imagine we wouldn't be seeing this vitriol if the character rumoured were Crono or a Final Fantasy protagonist. Dragon Quest has always had a stigma surrounding it.

Also, c'mon, this community was all aboard the Isaac train until November of last year.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Erdrick symbolizes the kind of character that got in instead of the character that the specific person may have wanted. They may understand that Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, but since it is relatively niche everywhere else in the world, they may not see it as a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.