• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
It's blasphemous how shitty the Smash remix of the Tetris theme is.

Wait, which one? I think they're both good, but bad mouthing Shimomura is blasphemy.

Speaking of which, straying a bit off topic, I've been listening to the Ultimate soundtrack and the new exclusive remixes and it's great to see how far the soundtrack has come from since Brawl. I remember a good selection of people at the old place saying they didn't like the quantity over quality and a lot of the remixes really suffered from mediocre to bad instrumental quality. I liked the remixes back then, but they weren't wrong. Ultimate is such a HUGE upgrade though.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Are we expecting a Smash Direct after the surprising lack of details in their big Direct last week?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Are we expecting a Smash Direct after the surprising lack of details in their big Direct last week?
It depends on the size of 3.0 and how deep they want to go into their plans for future DLC / details on Joker. I'm thinking no specific Smash Direct, but a bigger focus in a Nintendo Direct in March or April.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, he could probably make up for their absence in the next Smash game.
I guess but there's so many unknowns involved if he waits for the next game and it sounds like Sakurai made Ultimate to last for a good while, probably more so than any Smash game before.

There's also no telling where these IPs and characters may stand after this year and Rex in particular is in real danger of becoming irrelevant in the transition to a new game and he seems to be the one more people would want even compared to Spring Man who probably could stand to wait until next game even if unideal.

I don't know unless Sakurai really is tired working on Smash, which that sentiment seems to get stretched constantly between Smash 4 DLC to Ultimate's existence, then yeah maybe he just leave them for later but doing another pass and including them doesn't seem to be that far fetched to me either.

Last edited:

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wait, which one? I think they're both good, but bad mouthing Shimomura is blasphemy.

Speaking of which, straying a bit off topic, I've been listening to the Ultimate soundtrack and the new exclusive remixes and it's great to see how far the soundtrack has come from since Brawl. I remember a good selection of people at the old place saying they didn't like the quantity over quality and a lot of the remixes really suffered from mediocre to bad instrumental quality. I liked the remixes back then, but they weren't wrong. Ultimate is such a HUGE upgrade though.
The Type B remix is good. The Type A remix is TRASH. It grates on my ears.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess but there's so many unknowns involved if he waits for the next game and it sounds like Sakurai made Ultimate to last for a good while, probably more so than any Smash game before.

There's also no telling where these IPs and characters may stand after this year and Rex in particular is in real danger of becoming irrelevant in the transition to a new game and he seems to be the one more people would want even compared to Spring Man who probably could stand to wait until next game even if unideal.

I don't know unless Sakurai really is tired working on Smash, which that sentiment seems to get stretched constantly between Smash 4 DLC to Ultimate's existence, then yeah maybe he just leave them for later but doing another pass and including them doesn't seem to be that far fetched to me either.
Yeah, that's the issue I've been bringing up. Spring Man can afford to wait, Rex can't.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the size of 3.0 and how deep they want to go into their plans for future DLC / details on Joker. I'm thinking no specific Smash Direct, but a bigger focus in a Nintendo Direct in March or April.

I don't expect another General Direct until E3. After how long we had to wait for this one, I don't think it's realistic to expect another General Direct in one or two months.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
If Agumon somehow got in, not only would I not be mad, but it'd be worth it for the reactions from a few friends of mine.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect another General Direct until E3. After how long we had to wait for this one, I don't think it's realistic to expect another General Direct in one or two months.
E3 is still 4 months out and Super Mario Maker 2 releases in June, possibly before E3. I think they'll want to get that some more attention beforehand and there's some other titles as well. Could be a mini direct, but I do expect one more before E3.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
E3 is still 4 months out and Super Mario Maker 2 releases in June, possibly before E3. I think they'll want to get that some more attention beforehand and there's some other titles as well. Could be a mini direct, but I do expect one more before E3.

People expected a Direct last month to announce an official release date for Yoshi's Crafted World, not a Twitter post announcing a release date.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Chrono would be worth it all. Also, to ppl saying it's misspelled, isn't it 'Chrono' in jp? iirc it was Crono in US cause of space limitations.
Also I'd be down for Reimu, she's cool and the music she'd bring would be incredible.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also who does brave fit with on that list? Erdrick just seems to locked in.
Only alternative to my memory is Sora. The dataminer who found it said the parameters "feels" like it could be Sora and he had a Valor/Brave form in KH2. Even then those are alot more tenuous compared to Erdrick/Dragon Quest and Nintendo putting alot of attention on marketing Dragon Quest is another point in his favor on top of that.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
MM2 could easily come out right after e3, like arms.

Jan 9, 2018
Because Agumon came up, I wanted share my thoughts on the character and why he'd be a great addition to the roster.

Note: this is gonna be kinda long, so keep that in mind. And skip to the evolution section if the opening parts don't seem interesting to you.

Agumon: Smash Ultimate DLC Concept
The concept for Agumon as a fighter comes from the V-Pet, the true origin of the Digimon franchise, itself a spin-off of the Tamagotchi brand. Agumon should be a representation of the V-Pet (and thus the Tamagotchi), not the anime. Digimon World, the first Digimon game, also came out before the anime, so I think it's important to stay more true to the V-Pet and World concepts than the anime, as popular as the latter is.

General Elements
Agumon as a fighter would be short and quick, have little attack range, and have low knockback for his standard attacks. He'd be the same height as Pikachu, but have a run speed comparable to Squirtle.

His standard attacks are all simple: his Jab is a one-two swipe with his claws, that ends with a kick. Forward Tilt is a cartoony headbutt, Up Tilt is a overhead swipe that covers slightly in front of Agumon as well, Down Tilt is a crouched swipe in front of Agumon, and the Dash Attack is Agumon ending his dash with a overextending swipe with both his arms.
Aerial Attacks are all very quick and have low knockback, allowing for combos but also lacking in kill potential: Neutral Air attack is a cartwheel in mid air, Forward Air is a head-to-toe swipe in front, Back Air is a burst of flame that Agumon turns his head to deliver, and Down Air is a fireball aimed below Agumon that can spike at high percentages and has gimp potential near the end of the animation.

His grab range would be short, of course, and his grabs would be pretty standard: upwards throw, backwards throw, bite into the opponent for the down throw, headbutt for the forward throw, and short bursts of flame for the pummel.

Agumon's Get Up Attack is a swipe on the ground on both sides, Ledge Attack is a quick swipe, and the Ladder Attack is a close-ranged burst of flame.

Evolution
As Agumon is small and lacks power and range, Evolution (Digivolution in the West) will allow Agumon to reach new levels of power.

For Agumon's Special attacks, Agumon will quickly turn into data as his evolved, Adult (Champion) forms appear to perform an attack:

For the Neutral Special, Agumon will evolve into Tyrannomon, and blast fire balls. The player can either charge up the attack to send out one large fire ball that is weighty and doesn't reach very far, or three smaller fireballs that have more range.

Agumon's Side Special is a horn-first charge in the form of Greymon, with high knockback and high endlag. The move would have some level of super armour, but the move can also be avoided since it is also highly telegraphed.

Agumon's Down Special would be Meramon summoning a pillar of flame in front of him. If used in the air or near the ledge, the pillar will move downward slowly and be a powerful edge guarding tool.

Agumon's Up Special is a very long-range recovery move, as Devimon flaps his wings once to quickly rise up to or move across the stage. The hitbox and hurtbox would be large, but the knockback and damage given would be low, and the move would have super armour in the middle of the animation.

Agumon's Smash Attacks would be very similar in concept to the Specials, but different because the level that Agumon evolves to will be the Perfect (Ultimate) level. Agumon will again turn into a burst of data, and the Perfect level forms will emerge from it as the attack is being charged. These attacks will have great range, great knockback, but very high end lag:

Forward Smash would be MetalGreymon (Virus) emerging to thrust his metal claw forward. The attack can be angled diagonally downwards and upwards.

Up Smash is an upwards uppercut performed by Monzaemon.

Down Smash is a downward attack by Mamemon, using both hands, that ends in an explosion in front and behind Agumon.

Final Smash
One of the core concepts of Digimon is the choice of Evolution form. However, one of the joys of playing with a V-Pet as children is the unpredictability of the form your Digimon takes. Will it be a Numemon or a Greymon? Of course, this is Smash Bros. Agumon can't be evolving into a Numemon for a Final Smash.

Ryu and Ken have two Final Smashes each, with one that is performed when certain conditions are met. Agumon should also have two Final Smashes, but the probability of either being performed should be random, that is to say 50/50.

The classic, Ultimate (Mega) level WarGreymon throwing down a giant Gaia Force towards the centre of the stage that envelopes all fights near the centre is certainly Final Smash-worthy. For the other Final Smash, Agumon would evolve into the much newer, Ultimate level BlitzGreymon. Like Snake's, this attack would features BlitzGreymon blasting opponents with his canons and missiles based on a reticle that the player aims at opponents.

Miscellaneous Items
Other animations like his sleeping animation would be pretty standard, so that doesn't need to be covered.

Agumon's taunts would be a little unique in that same also feature Evolution. Agumon's Up Taunt would be Agumon quickly evolving into Veedramon to thrust out his hand with the victory sign. The Side Taunt would be Agumon eating meat, and the Down Taunt would be devolving into Koromon and taking a nap.

For the first of the victory animations, Agumon would pop up with a pair of goggles that he seemingly found in the ground after some digging. For another, Agumon would be in the form of Greymon, roaring. And for the last one, Koromon would appear, sleeping after a big win.

For alternate colours, Agumon actually has a few different variants that would fit, and to differentiate between the alternates during play, the burst of data during evolution will change colours.
  • Agumon as the standard, with yellow data.
  • Agumon X, orange data
  • Agumon with red hand straps, red data
  • BlackAgumon, black data
  • YukiAgumon, white data
  • Smash Original blue, based on Veedramon
  • Smash Original purple, Doromon
  • Smash Original green, Numemon
Conclusion
Agumon is intended to be a high-risk, high-reward character because the player is meant to rely on his evolved forms, the same way Agumon is. Evolution differentiates Agumon from every other fighter, including the Pokémon, which is what is so inviting about Digimon as a franchise, and hopefully what Sakurai and co. see as potential for Agumon. By choosing Agumon as a fighter, Nintendo would be paying homage to the digital toys, like Tamagotchi, that meant so much to so many children, and still does.

Biggad

Jul 3, 2018
I can't stop thinking about the possibility of the Hollow Knight protag or even Hornet as a DLC. Gameplay-wise it's so easy to picture.

I don't know how much bigger Shovel Knight was before Ultimate and how much it's been selling, obviously Shovel Knight is the biggest indie representation in Smash today and there was a lot of clamoring for him to get in but it didn't quite work out. Even though an assist is still big in this case.

Hollow Knight was pretty impactful and I have this weird feeling Nintendo cares about it. For what it's worth, NoE sent out their typical survey after its release on the Switch. I don't know how they do this survey thing, whether they do it for every game, but I've only gotten emailed with one of these two times.

And with Joker and "Brave" (maybe), it SEEMS like they're trying to use DLC to buddy up to valuable partners and Hollow Knight DLC would be a huge statement directed to the indie scene.

I know I'm just trying to talk me into this lol, but has this been talked about at all?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I can't stop thinking about the possibility of the Hollow Knight protag or even Hornet as a DLC. Gameplay-wise it's so easy to picture.

I don't know how much bigger Shovel Knight was before Ultimate and how much it's been selling, obviously Shovel Knight is the biggest indie representation in Smash today and there was a lot of clamoring for him to get in but it didn't quite work out. Even though an assist is still big in this case.

Hollow Knight was pretty impactful and I have this weird feeling Nintendo cares about it. For what it's worth, NoE sent out their typical survey after its release on the Switch. I don't know how they do this survey thing, whether they do it for every game, but I've only gotten emailed with one of these two times.

And with Joker and "Brave" (maybe), it SEEMS like they're trying to use DLC to buddy up to valuable partners and Hollow Knight DLC would be a huge statement directed to the indie scene.

I know I'm just trying to talk me into this lol, but has this been talked about at all?
I personally can't see any indie character getting in before someone from Undertale.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
That's what people said about Shovel Knight.
Undertale might be a lot more popular but Shovel Knight has a longer legacy in the indie scene so I can see why Sakurai went with the latter. (and Undertale didn't come to a Nintendo console until last year)

Shovel Knight being an AT could also mean Undertale has better chances for DLC.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Seeing the Vessel or Hornet as dlc would be a dream come true. Their movesets practicay build themselves.

Of course, the chance of that happening is incredibly slim, but one can dream...

Also, if the dlc can give us more non humans, that would be great. The weird characters are more entertaining imo.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I saw some rumors around v apparently involving files on the official Smash site.

It's 99.99% likely BS but I'm curious how would you feel if this was the reming DLC?

Chrono
Reimu
Banjo
Agumon
Reimu is just not big enough to actually happen lol. I like the other three though.
I saw that one. Crono is spelled incorrectly. Why that hasn't deterred people idk.
It's almost certainly fake, but that isn't enough to discount Crono specifically. His game is Chrono Trigger. It could be referencing that. It could also just be a common and interchangeable typo.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Reimu is just not big enough to actually happen lol. I like the other three though.

It's almost certainly fake, but that isn't enough to discount Crono specifically. His game is Chrono Trigger. It could be referencing that. It could also just be a common and interchangeable typo.
Reimu would be super-hype as a Smash character. True Bullet Hell as a Final Smash would be incredible.

Biggad

Jul 3, 2018
I personally can't see any indie character getting in before someone from Undertale.
I've been completely out of touch with the indie scene until a year ago and all I know is that all three are super popular/big, but yeah I can't really say if one is bigger or louder than the others. I know Undertale has a cult following/memes but I'm not sure how isolated that following is.

And I don't know about their impact in Japan at all.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I see y'all listing those stages and not even mention Tetris stage. :(

I'll vouch for Tetris after hearing this banger remix.

FPqAEW5.png

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I've been completely out of touch with the indie scene until a year ago and all I know is that all three are super popular/big, but yeah I can't really say if one is bigger or louder than the others. I know Undertale has a cult following/memes but I'm not sure how isolated that following is.

And I don't know about their impact in Japan at all.
Undertale is a worldwide phenomenon and it's massively popular in Japan. Just recently on Japanese national television they did a symphonic orchestra with Undertale's most popular songs. Sakurai also played the game iirc.

Biggad

Jul 3, 2018
Undertale is a worldwide phenomenon and it's massively popular in Japan. Just recently on Japanese national television they did a symphonic orchestra with Undertale's most popular songs. Sakurai also played the game iirc.
Interesting. Sakurai playing the game in question always feels like a prerequisite. And it's always somewhat of note when he goes out of his way to talk about a new game he's played lol.

Are there credible sales numbers for Undertale? I know Hollow Knight just gave the 2.8 mil and Shovel Knight was at 2 mil 10 months ago. Pretty huge for both of them.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That would be crazy if they actually pull it off with Tetris as playable character

Tetrimino is the name of the blocks dude, more respect!
(actually they should be named tetrOminos but the oficial tetris name is with I ...)

Soon it will be like calling Link "Zelda".
In the sense that everyone will do but it will make fans cry

But we are rising .... like this video that I posted earlier in another thread

I would personally go with changing pieces for the specials, but it is hard not to appreciate the work here

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Why do you think so? Toby himself has been outspoken on being a huge Smash Bros fan.
He's definitely a huge Smash fan but this is also the same guy who has outright refused almost all offers to merchandise Undertale save one. He just strikes me as someone who prefers to stay small with Undertale, no matter how populat it gets.

I could easily see him refusing a spot because he'd rather let someone else have a chance.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reimu would be super-hype as a Smash character. True Bullet Hell as a Final Smash would be incredible.
That's irrelevant. Look at the kind of character she is and compare her to the other third party characters in the game. Literally no one knows her outside of Japan except for a small niche. It will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.