• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally don't even remember you discussing about Cloud being logical Final Fantasy pick during mash 4 hype however I do remember that you were pushing Dragon Quest's Slime as one of third party representative and the representative of Dragon Quest.

I think the thing about Slime is that it absolutely is the most popular character in the series in terms of sheer recognizability. Moreso than any particular MC, even Erdrick. It's not quite a situation similar to Cloud vs Chocobo in my reckoning.

I see Erdrick getting in first however, simply because the character represents the mechanics of the series as a whole better than Slime would. Even if I would prefer the latter since my only engagement with the series is DQM.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I think the thing about Slime is that it absolutely is the most popular character in the series in terms of sheer recognizability. Moreso than any particular MC, even Erdrick. It's not quite a situation similar to Cloud vs Chocobo in my reckoning.

I see Erdrick getting in first however, simply because the character represents the mechanics of the series as a whole better than Slime would. Even if I would prefer the latter since my only engagement with the series is DQM.

Slime actually can represent a lot of aspects of the series pretty well. He can use a variety of magic attacks and a fairly big gameplay element in the Rocket Slime series is picking up empty knights armor and using it to do sword attacks.

I think Erdrick is who is happening due to the datamine, but I think out of all the generic mob characters in gaming, Slime would be the most likely to be put in Smash due to representing the series really well, being more recognizable than most-if not all-of the Dragon Quest protagonists, and even starring in a spin-off series.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think Nintendo or Sakurai care about representing the mechanics properly unless it's needed for a moveset. I can see Slime getting due to being recognizable compared to the typical DQ Hero. From what I've seen Slimes are pretty multi-purpose and can use anything for a moveset.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Slime actually can represent a lot of aspects of the series pretty well. He can use a variety of magic attacks and a fairly big gameplay element in the Rocket Slime series is picking up empty knights armor and using it to do sword attacks.

I think Erdrick is who is happening due to the datamine, but I think out of all the generic mob characters in gaming, Slime would be the most likely to be put in Smash due to representing the series really well, being more recognizable than most-if not all-of the Dragon Quest protagonists, and even starring in a spin-off series.
To be fair the datamine doesn't really point to it being Erdrick in particular and maybe they went with Brave to make it seem like a DQ Hero but it being Slime. Kind of like Joker's codename being Jack which can mislead to Jack Frost without prior knowledge

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Nintendo or Sakurai care about representing the mechanics properly unless it's needed for a moveset. I can see Slime getting due to being recognizable compared to the typical DQ Hero. From what I've seen Slimes are pretty multi-purpose and can use anything for a moveset.

Fair points, and I'd be pleasantly surprised to see Slime appear rather than Erdrick. Especially given the alt color potential :<

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, Slime is pretty iconic mascot for Japanese Video Gaming and I don't think anyone would deny that unless they want to be wrong about it. The thing is that I can't really see the slime as a playable character and I always feel that way so that's why I really hope that the rumor about Erdrick's inclusion is real because I do feel that Erdrick is a better choice than slime for me personally. I guess it's a same situation with Joker over Jack Frost. (I even played several Dragon Quest games in the past if you want to know). It's not end of the world if Slime got in instead since I probably would ended up enjoyingt them much all I did with many characters.

Yes, I'm wrong about Final Fantasy Representative because I always like the idea Chocobo being playable character even it sound dumb and unrealistic but I will never thought that Cloud would have a chance to become playable character in Smash Bros. I'm really glad that he made in after all and I was worried that he wouldn't come back for Ultimate. It does sound like he almost didn't made it.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I do remember that you were pushing Dragon Quest's Slime as one of third party representative and the representative of Dragon Quest.
I might've said that years ago, but I've been expecting to see Erdrick long before any of the leaks.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...irmed-link-has-botw-design.28244/post-5664745

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...speculation-thread.28895/page-28#post-6153419

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...pe-uh-finds-a-way.55839/page-57#post-10618844

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

I'm aware of that but we were talking about Smash 4 speculation since you pointed out that you brought up Cloud as one of potential Final Fantasy character and I don't really remember you did that. That's why I brought up Slime because it was only of very few Square-Enix representative that you were talking about during Smash 4 from top of my head.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
To be fair the datamine doesn't really point to it being Erdrick in particular and maybe they went with Brave to make it seem like a DQ Hero but it being Slime. Kind of like Joker's codename being Jack which can mislead to Jack Frost without prior knowledge

Fair enough, but unless the data values are completely placeholder the height makes Slime seem unlikely.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Slime is pretty iconic mascot for Japanese Video Gaming and I don't think anyone would deny that unless they want to be wrong about it. The thing is that I can't really see the slime as a playable character and I always feel that way so that's why I really hope that the rumor about Erdrick's inclusion is real because I do feel that Erdrick is a better choice than slime for me personally. I guess it's a same situation with Joker over Jack Frost. (I even played several Dragon Quest games in the past if you want to know). It's not end of the world if Slime got in instead since I probably would ended up enjoyingt them much all I did with many characters.

Yes, I'm wrong about Final Fantasy Representative because I always like the idea Chocobo being playable character even it sound dumb and unrealistic but I will never thought that Cloud would have a chance to become playable character in Smash Bros. I'm really glad that he made in after all and I was worried that he wouldn't come back for Ultimate. It does sound like he almost didn't made it.

Yeah, as much as I would prefer Slime for selfish reasons, Erdrick makes more "sense" I think? I suppose considering the fame and popularity of that character is nothing to sneeze at combined with their status as a playable character is what pushes me in that direction. Either way it'll be neat to have the series represented in Smash, even if Sugiyama is a trash heap of a human being.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine believing Erdrick is Brave

This post was made by the Geno Gang.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not enough obnoxious forum signature formatting.

Would this help?

N5QpcJQ.gif

Mar 9, 2018
The Sans memes are really fucking annoying and take away from what is an extreamly lovable and interesting cast of characters because all people care about is fucking meme's.

If Undertale gets a playable character under no circumstance should it be Sans.

(I apologize but I'm getting really sick of Sans being the only thing people talk about in regards to Undertale especially when there are so many more interesting characters IMO.)
Well, he's the overwhelming favorite, even among core Undertale fans. People like him for his music, design, and the role in the games, and yes meme potential -- which is a valid form of popularity.

Importantly, he is the only character that stands out as requested for Smash among players in Japan and overseas.

He's very well known even among people that wish they didn't know him. Now that's popular. Great job, Sans Undertale!

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Well, he's the overwhelming favorite, even among core Undertale fans. People like him for his music, design, and the role in the games, and yes meme potential -- which is a valid form of popularity.

Importantly, he is the only character that stands out as requested for Smash among players in Japan and overseas.

He's very well known even among people that wish they didn't know him. Now that's popular. Great job, Sans Undertale!
The problem with Sans is that one of the biggest reasons why people like him is the antithesis of what Undertale is all about.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Sans is that one of the biggest reasons why people like him is the antithesis of what Undertale is all about.
I kind of hope that if Nintendo geniunely does go up to Toby Fox to ask for Sans in Smash that we would tell them to fuck off and pick someone else. Kind of sick of Sans being this all encompassing meme when the main reason why he works in his game is that you genuinely didn't expect him to be this ultra powerful being until the very last moment.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of hope that if Nintendo geniunely does go up to Toby Fox to ask for Sans in Smash that we would tell them to fuck off and pick someone else. Kind of sick of Sans being this all encompassing meme when the main reason why he works in his game is that you genuinely didn't expect him to be this ultra powerful being until the very last moment.
And only, ONLY, if you go against literally everything the game imparts about pacifism and compassion.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Considering it's more based off of traditional combat I'm kind of surprised people haven't suggested Kris/Deltarune's protagonist. Seems like they would fight the atmosphere of Smash better.

For someone from Undertale I would be fine with Papyrus, he seems like a good fit for a character that's popular and represents what type of game Undertale is well.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's never played Undertale and knows next to nothing about it, why aren't people requesting the protagonist?

They're just a normal kid whose main power is hitting on everyone.

And only, ONLY, if you go against literally everything the game imparts about pacifism and compassion.

IIRC that's actually the main reason Undertale characters don't appear in crossovers.

Yeah, why would anyone think "Brave" is Dragon Quest representation?

I was joking, but IIRC this guy hasn't been involved with Smash since 64.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's more based off of traditional combat I'm kind of surprised people haven't suggested Kris/Deltarune's protagonist. Seems like they would fight the atmosphere of Smash better.
Considering that for the longest time no one was sure if Deltarune would end up being part of an actual game, I'm not.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Sans + Papyrus with a creative moveset based on the game, with the dog as an assist/grounded projectile and other stuff, could be great. Sans by himself and fighting seriously, not so much.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's never played Undertale and knows next to nothing about it, why aren't people requesting the protagonist?
Protagonist is just kind of boring. Other characters like Sans and Papyrus are more memorable and often featured as the face of the game.

Also, the protagonist can't really do anything interesting. That said, with some creativity I think it'd be possible to come up with a cool moveset for the protagonist. If it were me, I'd have them summon various monster friends for each of their moves.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Protagonist isnt really the face of the series, the character is a vessel for you the player to use in order to interact with the world and characters. The battle animations isnt really fleshed out for Frisk (however Kris from the sequel Deltarune is more fitting) since the fighting is you as a heart in a box. While the other characters are far more expressive in their animations and dialogue, with their own shtick and ways combat could translate to Smash. Hence, why Sans the Skeleton and his huge move pool from his fight is a fan favorite that's thrown around a lot. Not to mention his accompanying song is the game's most memorable and iconic song (in a game with one of the greatest soundtracks in gaming).

I can see Frisk "working" but in the spirit of Undertale, the lovable punster Sans is probably the best representative all things considered.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Protagonist isnt really the face of the series, the character is a vessel for you the player to use in order to interact with the world and characters. The battle animations isnt really fleshed out for Frisk (however Kris from the sequel Deltarune is more fitting) since the fighting is you as a heart in a box. While the other characters are far more expressive in their animations and dialogue, with their own shtick and ways combat could translate to Smash. Hence, why Sans the Skeleton and his huge move pool from his fight is a fan favorite that's thrown around a lot. Not to mention his accompanying song is the game's most memorable and iconic song (in a game with one of the greatest soundtracks in gaming).

I can see Frisk "working" but in the spirit of Undertale, the lovable punster Sans is probably the best representative all things considered.
The best representive for a game all about peace and pacifism is the character that...
only fights you when you've literally murdered everyone else?

Fuck I hate how overrated Sans is.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The best representive for a game all about peace and pacifism is the character that...

I mean Sans in a vacuum is a fair choice. Aside from the protagonist and Flowey, he's easily the most recurring character in the game.

Just not the specific version that everyone thinks of.

Like if people want Megalovania in the game, they'd be better off asking for Vriska.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The best Smash Bros representative, a game about fighting and combat is the most pacifist character in the game that chooses to fight only when everyone is dead, after giving you numerous chances to change your mind, suggesting to restart the game, and is constantly trying to convince you to be a better person.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Honestly, as popular as Undertale was, I'd rather that series continue to blossom into a full franchise before it gets anything in Smash. Right now it's still an indie franchise with one game and a glorified demo, both of which just have switch ports and don't really have any big impact on Nintendo, the indie scene, or gaming history as a whole yet.

If we do have to have a character break the indie barrier, I'd much rather it go to a character like Quote, considering the importance of Cave Story to all three. Either that or someone like Shantae/Shovel Knight, who have closer ties to Nintendo specifically. Hell, even Reimu would be better considering just how big of a deal Touhou is for the Japanese indie scene. Undertale just feels like too much of a recent flash in the pan thing to really be worthwhile, even when discounting the meme culture that's sprung up around it.

It'd be like adding a Fortnite character back when that game was the new hotness. It would've dated the game pretty severely now that it's playerbase is dispersing to games like Tetris 99 and Apex Legends. Considering that "Everyone is here" showed that being added to Smash means a permanent spot in franchise history, I'd rather the characters added be evergreen parts of gaming as well.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best Smash Bros representative, a game about fighting and combat is the most pacifist character in the game that chooses to fight only when everyone is dead, after giving you numerous chances to change your mind, suggesting to restart the game, and is constantly trying to convince you to be a better person.
Soooo why no Undyne? Or Papyrus? Or Toriel? Or Asgore? Or Mettaton? Or fucking any Deltarune party memember?

Or heck if people are that obsessed with making the Final Boss playable why not...
Asriel?

You know just about anyone else besides the protagonist who can fight? Or just make the protagonist a Villager style character?

It just feels like it's inseparable from the meme's and I hate saying that about a game. But I'm personally just so sick of Sans and his memes at this point.

The only way I'd want Sans is if it's like Lord Vatek says and it has nothing to do with Megalovania Sans.

I don't normally like crapping on other people choices and as I said earlier I hate speaking in absolutes but I'm just sick of Sans and him overshadowing such a great cast of characters.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The fact that people are actually raising Undertale as a possibility for Smash still blows my mind. I like the game well enough, I restarted my playthrough just the other day actually, but it doesn't make a lick of sense to me why people are seriously considering it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that people are actually raising Undertale as a possibility for Smash still blows my mind. I like the game well enough, I restarted my playthrough just the other day actually, but it doesn't make a lick of sense to me why people are seriously considering it.
Purely because of it's popularity and honestly memes. The game was really big back when it first came out so and was massively successful but I'm not sure if it really needs a fighter in Smash or if it should be in the forefront to represent indie games in Smash.

It's also the same reason I take extreme umbrage for Steve to be in Smash except at least Undertale was made famous by a cast of characters that people like.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Purely because of it's popularity and honestly memes. The game was really big back when it first came out so and was massively successful but I'm not sure if it really needs a fighter in Smash or if it should be in the forefront to represent indie games in Smash.
I'd honestly say the most important thing is that not only is Undertale big, it is/was popular in Japan as well (at least for a Western Indie). I want to say Sakurai played it as well, which can only help its chances.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was joking, but IIRC this guy hasn't been involved with Smash since 64.

Oh, I know he has no real involvement with Smash Bros. I just found it funny that he distinctly said "The Brave" and later had to add that "this picture has no meaning" because so many were taking it to actually confirm DQ representation in a game he wasn't involved with, lol.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want:

Geno
Mega Man X
Alucard
Shadow the Hedgehog
Banjo Kazooie
Goku
Ayumi Tachibana
Tharja or Rhajat

If any of these get in I'll be pretty happy!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

For someone from Undertale I would be fine with Papyrus, he seems like a good fit for a character that's popular and represents what type of game Undertale is well.

By the time Deltarune came out DLC characters were more or less decided.

I don't expect an indie fighter in Smash anytime soon though. Shovel Knight being an AT is a minor miracle.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I know he has no real involvement with Smash Bros. I just found it funny that he distinctly said "The Brave" and later had to add that "this picture has no meaning" because so many were taking it to actually confirm DQ representation in a game he wasn't involved with, lol.

Well, he wrote Brave in English, right? That's what the DQ class is called, I thought.

Besides Shinji Hashimoto did the same thing with Sora.

Status
Not open for further replies.