• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I can't template, I don't have the skills.
But I'm going to remind everyone that Brittany exists and should be a pick
13-aV1EC2w.jpg
Brittany's addition to the game comes with a free update that makes Alph an echo #justiceforalph

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After seeing this and considering everything else about Joker, I have a bold assumption to make:

Sakurai didn't want P5 in Smash. He wanted all of the graphic designs from P5 in Smash.
That's what I thought when he announced Joker.

But then again Nintendo employees picked the characters, Sakurai who played the game was like "I didn't think the game was that great. But HOT DAMN did it have great graphic design. I'm going to emulate that"

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder if Erdrick will have any 8-bit rips

I almost feel like he has to. I mean modern remixes of this song are featured in Dragon Quest spinoffs all the time, but the original is very charming and iconic

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I hadn't watched that Sakurai video, it's really good. You can totally see how he picked the DLC characters much he loves the game to gush for 10 minutes about it.

This made me laugh.

HAmbQdd.png

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Thought this would be pretty fun since most of picks I've seen floating around are predominately male.

Who y'all got?

WpkC4nV.jpg

Template:
olh4bTi.jpg
Not at my computer so I can't use the template, but for this I'd do.

Final Fantasy 7- Tifa - She'd be a close up melee fighter/brawler. It would also give us the chance to get more FF music in Smash as well as another stage. Not sure what we could use as her Final Smash though maybe a Donkey Kong non stop attack barrage?

Portal - Chell - not sure how she would fight but it'd be something close to Duck Hunt. Where her B attacks summon things to fight for her. Via her portals. Yes by the way her final smash would be sending you to the moon.

Donkey Kong Country - Dixie Kong - what can I say I've been looking forward for her ever since Brawl. Where she was rumored to be referenced in the games code. Unfortunately I've only seen her in Tropical Freeze so I'm not sure what her move set would be. Aside from the fact that her up B would have to be a recover move.

Star Fox Adventures - Krystal - fuck all y'all I don't care if she is an assist trophy I think she's cool. She fights dope ass dinosaurs on a dino planet. Speaks the dino language too. She'd also be a cool staff user which is something we don't see in Smash. And I think those facts alone make her worthy to be on the main roster!

Legend of Zelda - Tetra - not even gonna hide this one. I just think Tetra is cool and I wanna see her playable in game. She'd have a fun mix of sword attacks and gun attacks. Her Final Smash would even be something dope like her summoning her pirate ship and shooting at you.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Thought this would be pretty fun since most of picks I've seen floating around are predominately male.

Who y'all got?

WpkC4nV.jpg

Template:
olh4bTi.jpg

Going for "iconic" rather than personal faves: The Boss, Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, Tracer, Chell
I was trying to think of more "cartoony" characters, apart from Kazooie with Banjo I couldn't come up with much that would be considered a game lead

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not at my computer so I can't use the template, but for this I'd do.
Portal - Chell - not sure how she would fight but it'd be something close to Duck Hunt. Where her B attacks summon things to fight for her. Via her portals. Yes by the way her final smash would be sending you to the moon.

I imagine they would give her the Weighted Companion Cube to throw around. Maybe tie GLaDOS into some of her attacks. Give her the paint gun to speed things up into punches, or slow other characters down, while giving her a ton of grab moves, or using the momentum build from portaling around to make critical damage.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I just realised something, I have no idea what happened with any balance changes for 3.0, did we get blessed with any details from the source or is this a people having to investigate themselves case?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I just realised something, I have no idea what happened with any balance changes for 3.0, did we get blessed with any details from the source or is this a people having to investigate themselves case?
There was a pretty substantial list of changes (that I don't have the time to scrounge the link for), but the long story short is that, in additional to all of the individual character changes made, shield damage got nerfed across the board.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I imagine they would give her the Weighted Companion Cube to throw around. Maybe tie GLaDOS into some of her attacks. Give her the paint gun to speed things up into punches, or slow other characters down, while giving her a ton of grab moves, or using the momentum build from portaling around to make critical damage.
Ooh those are good ideas. Only other thing I could thing of is a counter that involved the sentry turret. For GLaDOS I feel like the best out come would be to use the version of her where she is a potato. And make it so that when you are on the Portal stage she can do commentary like the Kid Icarus characters. She could also talk when you taunt.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
There was a pretty substantial list of changes (that I don't have the time to scrounge the link for), but the long story short is that, in additional to all of the individual character changes made, shield damage got nerfed across the board.
Aye, thanks friends.

I played online for the first time in a while earlier and that shield detail certainly explains why I felt my Dark Samus charge beams weren't quite chipping shields like they used to, DK's headbutt still seemed good for it thank god.

Made it easier to be penalized for continuous dodging? from the Jokers I faced I almost don't believe that!

edit: I'm glad ned corroborates my phazon pain

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I remember Sakurai mentioning realistic fire arms and knives were a no-go for Snake's moveset in Brawl, and now we have a character with both a realistic gun and a knife.

I wonder if Sakurai had to get permission from the IP holders to let them be shot by a gun. I remember Sakurai saying they had to do that in Brawl for Snake's choke hold.

we could incorporate heavy weapons like bombs and rocket launchers as jokes, but things like knives, automatic weapons, and realistic guns were off-limits. Since this also affected the other characters, even though I decided on Snake myself, I needed to receive permission from their original creators.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/16/solid-snake-joins-the-brawl-translation/

AND Ultimate has a lesser rating than Brawl

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Sakurai mentioning realistic fire arms and knives were a no-go for Snake's moveset in Brawl, and now we have a character with both a realistic gun and a knife.

I wonder if Sakurai had to get permission from the IP holders to let them be shot by a gun. I remember Sakurai saying they had to do that in Brawl for Snake's choke hold.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/16/solid-snake-joins-the-brawl-translation/

AND Ultimate has a lesser rating than Brawl
I wonder if ratings boards are just more lenient with it compared to in 2006~2008 or if he had to work through it like he had to for the undergarments issues in Smash For to get Joker's gun in. I mean the knife is whatever, that thing is huge its basically a sword.

SpectreJordan

Oct 26, 2017
If the fighter's pass really does clean up the last mega huge IP from Japan, it does make me wonder what will happen going forward for guest inclusions. I think at that point we may see them either move more towards western IP, or secondary iconic characters like Chun-Li and Tails.

I think a mix of major western characters, smaller Japanese IPs & secondary third party characters would be good.

So let's say the next game gets 6 third parties, they could be: Crash, Master Chief, Bomber Man, 2B, Chun-Li & Dr Eggman. Or something along those lines.

Who y'all got?

WpkC4nV.jpg

Template:
olh4bTi.jpg

Jill Valentine
2B
Dixie Kong
Impa (Based off of Hyrule Warriors)
Twintelle or Ribbon Girl

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It occurred to me to check how the DLC section of the character list is structured on the site. I figured it might have been hard coded to fit the 6 DLC characters exactly (in which case, echoes might not be likely), but nope, the site is actually set up to, in theory, add an infinite amount of DLC fighters without any issue.
W4103Mh.png

They're literally just <li> elements and the site scales as needed. As seen here, I just added 2 more <li> elements and the site adjusted as needed. It scales and adjusts the grid as needed when resizing the browser, no matter the amount.

Not that I think they specifically set the site up to add echoes (responsive design is a good thing to do), but, in theory, they didn't design the website to not accommodate additional fighters if needed

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
We should let Nintendo know we'll pay tons of money for a Season 2 fighter pass.

Hell. Could just be stages DLC with new music.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess we'll start treating Jane as the codename for a future character then?
I'm thinking one of these options:
1. Like you say, "Jane" is a codename for a future character who is just basing some of her stuff on Joker's references or accidentally got attached in the strings
2. Jane is mysterious pony tail girl and her costume (or echo i guess but whatever) will be added to people who purchased Joker
3. Jane is mysterious pony tail girl and her costume was considered, might have had some dev put on early on, but ultimately cut
4. Jane may be something else entirely, but was ultimately cut, so we may never know the answer....

I'm leaning 2/3 just because Jane just feels so perfect a play off "Jack" where as the one other character codename we have, Brave, is...not...that.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It occurred to me to check how the DLC section of the character list is structured on the site. I figured it might have been hard coded to fit the 6 DLC characters exactly (in which case, echoes might not be likely), but nope, the site is actually set up to, in theory, add an infinite amount of DLC fighters without any issue.
W4103Mh.png

They're literally just <li> elements and the site scales as needed. As seen here, I just added 2 more <li> elements and the site adjusted as needed. It scales and adjusts the grid as needed when resizing the browser, no matter the amount.

Not that I think they specifically set the site up to add echoes (responsive design is a good thing to do), but, in theory, they didn't design the website to not accommodate additional fighters if needed

Between that, the dummy slots found within the files, and the fact that the Stage Select screen is going to suspiciously have one open space left after all the Fighter Pass characters/stages are out, it's pretty apparant that they're leaving the door open for more.

Nothing is still guranteed beyond this pass, but I definitely do feel better about the prospects of an additional Fighter Pass after this one than I did a few months ago.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
We should let Nintendo know we'll pay tons of money for a Season 2 fighter pass.

Oddly enough, I checked the way the stages page is set up and adding more stages actually causes the layout to get janky
rAg6I14.jpg

Adding more stages causes the padding in between the stage icons to disappear and the stage icon boxes get weirdly wide and shrunk, the block reserved for them never scales so the icons get smooshed. They also never recenter themselves to account for more stages

They could add more DLC stages if they wanted, obviously, but it's not quite as easy as just popping in a new <li> element and having everything cleanly scale. It actually seems that this layout was designed with only 5 stages in mind, for the time being.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I wonder if Erdrick will have any 8-bit rips

I almost feel like he has to. I mean modern remixes of this song are featured in Dragon Quest spinoffs all the time, but the original is very charming and iconic

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. They did it for Mega Man, Pit, and even a Famicom Medley. Really hope we can get some orchestra rips in though. Since Nintendo getting the orchestra rights for DQXIS, I'm really hopeful.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
W4103Mh.png

Huh this is an amazing find. Thanks!

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's inevitable. The game has a massive and continually growing fanbase that has a voracious appetite for new characters, and will pay anything to get them.

Nintendo likes money and people like new characters. Everyone wins.

I know everyone says that Sakurai "needs a break", but I think he enjoys working on this game. And making balance changes and distributing a new character every few months doesn't carry the same intensity and stress as working full scale on the production and release of an entire game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Let's all hope Jane is a codename for a Fighter.

A female fighter.

Ponytail?

Jill valentine has a ponytail...
Well, let's go over the facts:
  • Code-name is Jane.
  • "Jane" has a ponytail.
  • As discovered recently, Arsene's code-name was Doyle.
Now, since Doyle is a fairly specific name (likely referencing Arthur Conan Doyle), it isn't impossible for Jane to also be somewhat specific. There are a few connections that could be made, but what about:

Jane Goodall - Chimpanzees - Dixie Kong - Ponytail

It kinda adds up, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.