• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad the massive swell in Kid Dracula awareness (obviously due to his Smash cameo) forced Konami to include it in the new Castlevania collection

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love Mega Man, and he's probably my favorite guest character in Smash Bros., but I do think it's weird that he's heralded as this big icon of the NES era by people who downplay Banjo's popularity, when the two N64 Banjo games outsold all of the NES Mega Man games combined -- that's way fewer games on a less successful console.

Because you really have to factor in Mega Man far beyond those six NES games. He's had countless spin-off series (X, Battle Network, Legends, Star Force), multiple TV series, piles of merchandise... he's had a pretty major "down period" in the past 10 year or so, but compared to Banjo, his impact is so much bigger.

Banjo-Kazooie essentially had two big, big games, one divisive-at-best followup, and a handful of cameos. No cartoons or comics or multi-media blitz. No Banjo cereal. They probably got a plushie or two, maybe?

I never owned an NES, and didn't own any Mega Man games until... I think Battle Network on the GBA? But growing up in the 90s he felt ubiquitous to me. If you didn't buy either of the N64 games, how visible was Banjo-Kazooie, really?

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because you really have to factor in Mega Man far beyond those six NES games. He's had countless spin-off series (X, Battle Network, Legends, Star Force), multiple TV series, piles of merchandise... he's had a pretty major "down period" in the past 10 year or so, but compared to Banjo, his impact is so much bigger.

Banjo-Kazooie essentially had two big, big games, one divisive-at-best followup, and a handful of cameos. No cartoons or comics or multi-media blitz. No Banjo cereal. They probably got a plushie or two, maybe?

I never owned an NES, and didn't own any Mega Man games until... I think Battle Network on the GBA? But growing up in the 90s he felt ubiquitous to me. If you didn't buy either of the N64 games, how visible was Banjo-Kazooie, really?

Yeah, Banjo basically got robbed after the buyout. If that didn't happen I'd imagine Banjo would be one of the many Nintendo character still getting games.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Did you know? In the timeline where Nintendo bought all of Stamper brothers' Rare stock, they ended up overbetting on success of their Star Wars game and got bought out by Ubisoft, now in a console arms race with Microsoft and the DVD Forum, and if they didn't you can't prove that

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Yeah, Banjo basically got robbed after the buyout. If that didn't happen I'd imagine Banjo would be one of the many Nintendo character still getting games.

The alternate universe would have had Banjo Kazooie be made by Retro, and Metroid Prime series never happening.

BK gets into Melee instead of Ice Climbers. Grunty makes Brawl instead of ZSS. Metroid forgotten as a series only ever gets Samus.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The alternate universe would have had Banjo Kazooie be made by Retro, and Metroid Prime series never happening.

BK gets into Melee instead of Ice Climbers. Grunty makes Brawl instead of ZSS. Metroid forgotten as a series only ever gets Samus.
You make this alternate reality sound absolutely horrifying.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when there was a full banjo game on the GBA

I nevber played it but skimming through a long play it seemed fairly involved and a reasonable approximation of the first 2 games's playstyle in an isometric perspective. I'm honestly surprised I don't hear more about it, even if it was maligned

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
remember when there was a Perfect Dark game on the Game Boy Color

you're better off not remembering

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Banjo's the only dead franchise I think is worth considering in speculation, and that's mostly because the opportunity to work with Microsoft wasn't there before. If he's passed up I think that's telling that Sakurai rejected the most wanted dead franchise from Smash.

Sakurai is going to stan hard for Steve being the big Minecraft fanboy he is. Only the devilish Phil Spencer stands in his way with his silly Banjo.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think there are different criteria for third party series than for first party Nintendo franchises.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil

I nevber played it but skimming through a long play it seemed fairly involved and a reasonable approximation of the first 2 games's playstyle in an isometric perspective. I'm honestly surprised I don't hear more about it, even if it was maligned
I got a copy of Grunty's Revenge and I say it's legitimately good and worth of being Banjo-Threeie, imo. Sadly that game (and Banjo-Piilot) was never released in Japan or considered canon in the events that follows in Nuts & Bolts :\

EDIT: for what it's worth, I remember seeing a Nico Nico video of a Japanese person playing Grunty's Revenge once.. translating the text reading for the viewers (I think). Not much, but at least there was the interest overseas to know more about that game

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Who the fuck was arguing that?!?
I can't remember. I'd recognize the avatar, but I haven't seen a post from them in months. It opened the door on a pretty wild conversation that went on for over a page until a moderator forced everyone back on topic (which was for the best).

Long story short, this person did not know how fetishes work or that even women are capable of having them. It was...very peculiar.

SpectreJordan

Oct 26, 2017
But, hear me out

what if Banjo does have a future? The sudden introduction of new merchandise last year (the plushie, Totaku figure, First 4 Figures statue, etc) for the 20th Anniversary sure felt strange, and I really do think that something is going on over at Microsoft that involves the bear and bird.

At the very least, they are consistently used in promotional material for the Game Pass (which shows that they do value the IP in some way).

Microsoft is all about pushing Game Pass now. I think reviving Banjo would be another great way to do that. Especially if they can get the game to be on Mario Odyssey's level of quality, similar to how the original games were on Mario 64's quality.

I'll never get why Microsoft didn't try to push Banjo as their Mario. The series has Mario's charm but with a bit of edge because of the humor, would've works perfectly as an "older" alternative.

Microsoft is even bringing back Perfect Dark and Battletoads, I'm sure they'll revive Banjo when they find a developer for the series.

I've heard Perfect Dark's name floating around for a couple of years now, but has something more recent popped up?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo's not dead for good when Microsoft is handing Rare IP out to new developers. But it also could mean we wait another 10 years for someone to make it.

The difference between Mega Man and Banjo is that Capcom was devoted to supporting that IP while Rare wanted to leave their IP behind in favor of making new series.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
remember when there was a Perfect Dark game on the Game Boy Color

you're better off not remembering

Oh I remember, nothing like cracking door codes via simon and constant genre shifts of dubious quality.

Really though I'm still recovering from that post earlier of "Rare are bringing back PD" based on apparently nothing and no elaboration, WELL, I'M CONVINCED

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If Rare brings back Perfect Dark, would they use Perfect Dark 1 Joanna
Joanna_dark_N64_render.png

or PD0 Joanna?
latest

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate adding only 1 new Nintendo IP has me a bit concerned about the viability of those in new Smash games. Rhythm Heaven and ARMS are still around assuming they get sequels, but Pirahna Plant's presence has me wondering if we have seen retro series for the last time.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

It's actually surprisingly good, although a bit short

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Second Fighter Pass, no new stages:
- Geno
- Kos-Mos (Home Stage Xenoblade franchise)
- Rabbid Peach (Home Stage Mario Franchise)
- Dixie Kong
- Chun-Li

Do you buy?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ultimate adding only 1 new Nintendo IP has me a bit concerned about the viability of those in new Smash games. Rhythm Heaven and ARMS are still around assuming they get sequels, but Pirahna Plant's presence has me wondering if we have seen retro series for the last time.
Assuming that they all remain relevant going into the next Smash game, you have...
  • ARMS
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Dragalia Lost
  • Astral Chain
  • Labo
    • This may not need to remain relevant since I could see Plaise Allatyme as a sort of Wii Fit Trainer-esque pick.
  • [Insert Retro Studio's New IP Here]
...on top of a likely new Xenoblade protagonist & the obligatory new Pokémon. That's already quite a bit to pull from, & who knows what else we'll get in the coming years.

Last edited:

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Second Fighter Pass, no new stages:
- Geno
- Kos-Mos (Home Stage Xenoblade franchise)
- Rabbid Peach (Home Stage Mario Franchise)
- Dixie Kong
- Chun-Li

Do you buy?
I'll buy every single fighter Smash ever makes because, even if I don't like them, I can fight against them and pretend I'm taking my anger on them for taking the place of more deserving characters

Status
Not open for further replies.