• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that they all remain relevant going into the next Smash game, you have...
  • ARMS
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Dragalia Lost
  • Astral Chain
  • Labo
    • This may not need to remain relevant since I could see Labo Kid as a sort of Wii Fit Trainer-esque pick.
  • [Insert Retro Studio's New IP Here]
...on top of a likely new Xenoblade protagonist & the obligatory new Pokémon. That's already quite a bit to pull from, & who knows what else we'll get in the coming years.
The Labo trio do have names
The old guy is Gerry Rigs
The woman is Lerna Lotte
The kid is Plaise Allatyme

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Season Pass 2 will probably have

Zelda BotW 2 rep
Xenoblade 3/Xenoblade X2 rep
Pokémon Gen 8 rep
Metroid Prime 4 rep (making people scream that Metroid has too many characters)
Spring Man to promote Arms 2

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Second Fighter Pass, no new stages:
- Geno
- Kos-Mos (Home Stage Xenoblade franchise)
- Rabbid Peach (Home Stage Mario Franchise)
- Dixie Kong
- Chun-Li

Do you buy?

Second pass with only female characters, huh? I can think of a better all woman season pass:

- 2B
- Joanna Dark
- Lara Croft
- Jade (one of the best female protags ever created imo)
- Velvet Crowe (similar to Persona, main character of the last original game is more fitting)
- Mai (she's as recognizable as Terry Bogard)

Six characters because of no stages. All human because no one even bothered to create a non human female protagonist.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Second pass with only female characters, huh? I can think of a better all woman season pass:

- 2B
- Joanna Dark
- Lara Croft
- Jade (one of the best female protags ever created imo)
- Velvet Crowe (similar to Persona, main character of the last original game is more fitting)
- Mai (she's as recognizable as Terry Bogard)

Six characters because of no stages. All human because no one even bothered to create a non human female protagonist.
2B isn't human.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Season Pass 2 will probably have

Zelda BotW 2 rep
Xenoblade 3/Xenoblade X2 rep
Pokémon Gen 8 rep
Metroid Prime 4 rep (making people scream that Metroid has too many characters)
Spring Man to promote Arms 2
  • Spring Man is stuck in Assist Trophy Hell for the rest of Ultimate. That plus I don't expect ARMS 2 to be a thing until the next Nintendo system. Spring Man's best bet would be to wait until the next Smash game (like Olimar & Inkling before him).
  • You're assuming that we get another Xenoblade game in the next year or so, which I'm not so sure about (we'll definitely get one, but I'm not sure when).
  • Metroid Prime 4 likely won't be out until the tail-end of the Switch's life. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a cross-gen title.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I don't worry about Metroid Prime 4 being a Switch game, because we know that the Switch itself will last longer than previous Nintendo systems. I don't think it's not even a likely candidate to be a cross-gen like Twlight Princess and Breath of the Wild, even if they take 3 years to make.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of silly to assume that there won't be more stages in a hypothetical second Fighters Pass just because the game isn't currently set up to accommodate them. That's what patches are for.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that every DLC fighter getting their own Spirit Board means we don't have to worry about Dragon Quest content being as restricted as Final Fantasy. (Not that I was worried to begin with, but I know some of you were assuming the worst with Square Enix.)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that every DLC fighter getting their own Spirit Board means we don't have to worry about Dragon Quest content being as restricted as Final Fantasy. (Not that I was worried to begin with, but I know some of you were assuming the worst with Square Enix.)
There's no rule that says we can't get a new spirit board with only 1-2 spirits.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that they all remain relevant going into the next Smash game, you have...
  • ARMS
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Dragalia Lost
  • Astral Chain
  • Labo
    • This may not need to remain relevant since I could see Plaise Allatyme as a sort of Wii Fit Trainer-esque pick.
  • [Insert Retro Studio's New IP Here]
...on top of a likely new Xenoblade protagonist & the obligatory new Pokémon. That's already quite a bit to pull from, & who knows what else we'll get in the coming years.

I mean that list doesn't inspire confidence that we will get many new IPs then. For Ultimate we could've seen Rhythm Heaven, Nintendo Land, Chibi Robo, Dillon, or others but they were out-prioritized by supporting characters that were more popular and had greater recognition.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Fighter Pass 2 is based on PC franchises:

Sim person from The Sims
Gandhi from Civilization
Counter-terrorist from Counter-strike
Kane from Command and Conquer
Mine from Minesweeper.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
If DQ made it in. I always expected a decent amount of content compared to Cloud. Lots of more music, Mii Fighter outfits and spirits.

Purly based off how FF and DQ are handled from what I've seen. So I could easily be wrong in the end. We'll see

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean that list doesn't inspire confidence that we will get many new IPs then. For Ultimate we could've seen Rhythm Heaven, Nintendo Land, Chibi Robo, Dillon, or others but they were out-prioritized by supporting characters that were more popular and had greater recognition.
To be fair, Sakurai made a point to prioritize the Ballot for Ultimate (that plus "Everyone is Here").

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine we'd get spirits of the monsters in the Alefgard stage. Then again, Why the fuck are the Midgar summons not spirits?

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Dixie and Pauline would definitely be echo fighters. Madeline could share the same fate with Shantae :(
Dunno about that, both are in a weird place were they're similar enough to other characters that they could be echo-fighters but also different enough that they could be their own thing if the designers pushed a little harder. Pauline is kinda of a blank slate at this point, she could have a move-set based on classic Donkey Kong games (for instance the neutral attack could be the bug spray from DK3)

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
fighter pass 2 will not exists.
that's my guess and that's completely fine. I don't think Smash Ultimate needed not even a singular character as DLC. the base game wasn't a 20 fighters sized roster. we are all too spoiled to ask for more.

And I think at the point of we're done with the first pass, the roster will be more than enough to hold us busy until the next game.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of silly to assume that there won't be more stages in a hypothetical second Fighters Pass just because the game isn't currently set up to accommodate them. That's what patches are for.
The point isn't (I hope) "the current UI breaks at 109 stages, so they won't make 109th one". The point is, we already know of 108 stages coming, AND the game happens to accommodate exactly that many stages in the UI, given random slot control shenanigans. This implies that at the point UI was designed, that number could have already been considered. If that was the case, it would imply the post-launch development strongly follows a pre-launch plan, and additional stages would go against it. If the plan was different or more flexible, UI breaking at a different number than this one would be more likely.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason there's won't be a Fighters Pass 2 is if Nintendo decides to start developing the sequel instead. There was almost no downtime between Smash 4 DLC and Ultimate.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
She's yet to be a controllable character in any game, so that would give devs some creative freedom. I'm thinking she could be a Rosaliba echo with Cappy replacing Luma.
That wouldn't really fit either character (Pauline or Cappy) at all. And basing Pauline entirely on Odyssey would be ignoring her origins entirely.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot Inkling.

Still, it's the reason we got Ridley, King K. Rool, & the Belmonts. I'd imagine that characters like Elma would have gotten in under any other circumstance.

Didn't mention Inkling since she's the sole new Nintendo IP rep in Ultimate. My point with the other characters was that we got them over potential new IP and they weren't ballot driven picks. I just don't think we will see another newcomer roster like Smash 4's again now that most of the major Nintendo IP are in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.