• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like Sakurai forgot that he isn't allowed to talk about other games or characters lest people think he is hinting at the next character.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I read a lot about what characters we think are coming, what about the character you would most like to see?
latest

Ayumi Tachibana.

After her, Elma from Xenoblade X.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai is really going to start feeling regret for choosing Erdrick over Crono or 2B.

/s

I know this is a joke post, but it should be noted that Dragon Quest III would be outside the time period of January 1989-April 2019. It was released in Japan in February of 1988.

(In before someone brings up the Super Famicom release of DQ III.)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I apparently own a sealed copy of DQ V, DQ VI and Chrono Trigger.

All for the DS. I have no clue why I have these games. I'm not one to buy games and never played them. Maybe it was that phase where I stopped caring about videogames, lasted a couple years on the start of the Decade.

Anyways, this is a sign for Crono for Smash.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the next dlc fighters are actually obscure Nintendo characters. I want more fighters like Ice Climbers and Piranha Plant.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Looks like Sakurai forgot that he isn't allowed to talk about other games or characters lest people think he is hinting at the next character.
To be honest people will always twist things to something that they want. Remember chair theory?
Dude deserves a big break, let him do whatever he wants to do.

https://twitter.com/FarmboyinJapan/status/1120193893364948992

(Top 3 Games were Chrono Trigger, Breath of the Wild, and Nier Automata.)

See, this is the reason why i'm an advocate of choosing by franchisee instead of game company.
I won't be surprised that if the remaining fighters pass consisted of Capcom and SQ, you would still get a lot of iconic characters and still have enough for multiple passes. Why focus on other game companies which have literally nothing to lend?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I won't be surprised that if the remaining fighters pass consisted of Capcom and SQ, you would still get a lot of iconic characters and still have enough for multiple passes. Why focus on other game companies which have literally nothing to lend?
Capcom and Square Enix do have plenty of character they could include in Smash.

But so does Bandai Namco. And Konami. And Sega/Atlus. And Microsoft (there wouldn't be so many arguments over who "the" Microsoft rep should be if that wasn't true). And plenty of other third-party companies out there (Koei Tecmo, Level-5, SNK, FromSoftware, Bethesda, Ubisoft, etc) have characters who people actively support.

The others clearly do have something to lend to Smash.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I read a lot about what characters we think are coming, what about the character you would most like to see?

Mine is Crono.

Anyone from Phantasy Star would make me finally abandon my main, Random, and actually try to git gud with one character. The chances of this happening are nil, fortunately.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Capcom and Square Enix do have plenty of character they could include in Smash.

But so does Bandai Namco. And Konami. And Sega/Atlus. And Microsoft (there wouldn't be so many arguments over who "the" Microsoft rep should be if that wasn't true). And plenty of other third-party companies out there (Koei Tecmo, Level-5, SNK, FromSoftware, Bethesda, Ubisoft, etc) have characters who people actively support.

The others clearly do have something to lend to Smash.
Yea, but my argument was more towards people who argued that certain game franchisees deserved a bigger chance because the third party hasn't been represented. I'll take 2B/Dante/Sora/RE rep over KOF/NG any time of the day.
I won't have an issue if the franchise raised have shown that they're heavily requested and/or stands in the forefront of people's minds (like cloud).

Also Mondo - just curious but do you feel that we'll even be getting multiple western IPs? Cause you did raise multiple firms (Bethesda, Ubisoft).

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Crono would be a perfect fit for Smash as a gaming history character like Banjo. Chrono Trigger is an iconic and revered game globally even today despite it being a short lived series. Knowing our luck though, he will be Geno'd where public mention of him means his chances are dead.
It would be a nice compromise for the "Goku in Smash" people. Since the same guy designed both characters.

Toriyama was the guy who helped out Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, and Blue Dragon, right

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Mine is Crono.

Believe it or not but for me it actually is Erdrick. I love Dragon Quest. Such a charming franchise. It's also way overdue for some Smash representation.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Everyone will just ignore you here.
I'm secretly hoping for obscure characters too.

I was hyped af for Simon Belmont and King K. Rool. And now that I have the game? I don't play as them. They're not fun. I like playing as the weird characters I thought I would hate. Piranha Plant & incineroar. I was actually kind of hyped by that Machrider rumor from a while ago. It was such an oddball choice lol.

I'll take Captain Rainbow, Epona, and a Custom Robo before another Xenoblade or Fire Emblem character. I think they've proven if they have a vision for something fun and weird, it's better than a fanservice character.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Also Mondo - just curious but do you feel that we'll even be getting multiple western IPs? Cause you did raise multiple firms (Bethesda, Ubisoft).
For Ultimate or in any future Smash instalments? In the case of the former, i'm only expecting a Microsoft rep for the Fighters Pass. I think we'll see a few more beyond that in potential future iterations of Smash, but they will be few and far between (like maybe two or three more; from the small group of Microsoft (again), Ubisoft, Bethesda or Activision Blizzard).

Banjo and Doomguy are two of my most-wanted characters, but I can really only see one of them happening in this Smash (unfortunately).

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil

Mine is Crono.
There's a bit of overlap between my predictions and wishlist:

Expect: Erdrick, Crash, Heihachi and Jibanyan

Want: Crash, Heihachi, Rayman, Banjo, Dixie Kong and Wonder Red (the last two I gave up hope completely, sadly :/ )

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joker is such a ridiculously well designed DLC character, bias aside.

Like everyone made jokes about him being busted on launch but they actually tried to ensure he wouldn't be overtuned. Tried too much, I think, because the hitboxes on his normals are so damn precise and can whiff pretty easily, lmao.

I should have been posting here and soaking up the hype after his release...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm really not surprised by the amount of effort put into Joker; Sakurai's love from the game (especially it's UI) would have pushed him and the team to put a lot of work, effort and attention into him.

I just hope the rest of the Fighters Pass can live up to Joker; i'm a bit afraid that they won't.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
B. A separate character that's using Joker as a base - Here's where I think the interesting theorizing lies. For the past characters we know that have used others as a base, there's always been notable traits shared between them. Corrin and Cloud are both swordfighters with especially long ranged melee attacks, just like their starting point, Ike. Bayonetta and Zero Suit Samus are both acrobatic aerial fighters with a focus on weaponry and unconventional footwear. Piranha Plant and Bowser Jr. are unconventional fighters that both fight from and are based around an odd "vessel" of some sort. So, when we look at Joker, we have a gun-toting, knife-wielding fighter who summons other characters to the battlefield. To me, that sounds like the perfect recipe for a certain beret-wearing, zombie-fighting woman. One whose name is remarkably similar to the "Jane" codename we're discussing. One who, in past fighting games, has famously summoned zombies to the battlefield to fight with. One who has a design with a ponytail on it that might not be her most iconic look and would therefore not be her main outfit, but that would be perfect for say, a seventh alt costume. This could all be nothing, but as I type this I'm increasingly becoming more convinced that all these pieces are coming together, and Jane is in fact Jill Valentine.
Jill being built off of Joker would make sense, although I don't know why they'd start her development with a ponytail alt instead of her default look

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018

Mine is Crono.
My biggest wants are Dixie Kong, Elma, Impa, Phoenix Wright, Layton, and Doomguy. Only one of those who I see having a chance this go around is Layton, and even then I think that's an incredibly small chance.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm secretly hoping for obscure characters too.

I was hyped af for Simon Belmont and King K. Rool. And now that I have the game? I don't play as them. They're not fun. I like playing as the weird characters I thought I would hate. Piranha Plant & incineroar. I was actually kind of hyped by that Machrider rumor from a while ago. It was such an oddball choice lol.

I'll take Captain Rainbow, Epona, and a Custom Robo before another Xenoblade or Fire Emblem character. I think they've proven if they have a vision for something fun and weird, it's better than a fanservice character.
I feel like the problem with going too obscure is that they'd generally be a tough sell as DLC. Even with Piranha Plant, it was both a freebie for early adopters & was clearly supposed to be in the base roster. Overall, I'm of the opinion that obscure picks like Mach Rider are better served for the base roster where they don't have to sell on their own merits & have other big characters to shoulder the burden of bringing in hype.

Gentlepanda

Apr 22, 2019
Vaanrose has responded to wildvine's Jill theory on Smashboards - I'll just link to it here instead of weighing in with anything extra, because hell if I actually have any knowledge or authority on this beyond following it maybe a little too closely.

https://smashboards.com/threads/ult...vision-edition.467706/page-4653#post-23252638

Vaanrose said:
It's false to equate the hair vertex cache with keyframed joints just because they're both related to animation. They are fundamentally different systems.

A vertex cache animation only functions with the specific model it was created for. It cannot be ported to another model. You cannot change even a single vertex in the model, or the cache will break. But a joint animation, by contrast, is easily ported between every skeleton with the same naming convention, and it is standard practice to keep all skeletons in a pipeline built with the same hierarchy for this very reason.

If you've ever looked at modding Smash, you'll see this in action. It's very easy to attach any given model to another skeleton and have them use those animations. But many amateur modders are completely incapable of including face animations in their mods, because those are not handled by the skeletal animations, but instead by vertex shifted blend shapes. These cannot be ported from one model to the next, and have to be created entirely from scratch for the new model.

But it's a moot point, because the file that would be being reused in this scenario is not the animation. The animation is clearly labeled "Jane." It belongs to her. The file that would be being reused here would be Jack's character model, and as stated, that's just not how it works.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Mine is Crono.
2B and Shantae would be the two I want the absolute most.(that haven't already been decomfirmed otherwise add Ashley and Rex on top of that.)

And I'm always looking for a new Zelda character.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We can get a better idea if it's Joker related at the concert if we see new girls thief look and Persona(if it's shown.)

If it looks like it could work as a swap for Joker and Arsene we'll have a better idea.

Last edited:

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We can get a better idea if it's Joker related at the concert if we see new girls thief look and Persona(if it's shown.)

If it looks like it could work as a swap for Joker and Arsene we'll have a better idea.

Her look has less to do with it. But mainly it'll be her weapons and persona

If she even has those and doesn't just end up being a "Marie type" addition

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Her look has less to do with it. But mainly it'll be her weapons and persona

Hence why I said "if" it's shown.

And I'm really hoping she's not a Marie type character. That'd be such a let down after that tease.

And I say that as someone who likes Marie.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Maybe Joker is strangely short and has tiny feet to accommodate for Jane?

Although it didn't really matter for Marth->Lucina and they ended up just making Lucina taller in Ultimate anyway

Gentlepanda

Apr 22, 2019
Not impossible, but my gut feeling is that she looks way too generic (not to mention reminiscent of P3P's FeMC) to be one of Atlus's Metis/Marie/Rin-type rerelease characters. Besides a few small cosmetic additions that reflect the game's visual style (red bow and shoes), her uniform--like Joker's--is as generic as it gets, which is generally the standard for Persona protagonists and no-one else.

persona-5-hidetori-gakuen-high-school-school-bag-524199.9.jpg

Given that we've also apparently eliminated every possibility for 'Jane' in Smash bar the Royal girl, it also seems unlikely that they would have worked on her as a Joker skin if she didn't have reason to act in an extremely similar fashion to him.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hence why I said "if" it's shown.

And I'm really hoping she's not a Marie type character. That'd be such a let down after that tease.

And I say that as someone who likes Marie.

If people got too much hope from that tease, then thats them riling themselves up. Nothing in that tease suggests anything for her

Not impossible, but my gut feeling is that she looks way too generic (not to mention reminiscent of P3P's FeMC) to be one of Atlus's Metis/Marie/Rin-type rerelease characters. Besides a few small cosmetic additions that reflect the game's visual style (red bow and shoes), her uniform--like Joker's--is as generic as it gets, which is generally the standard for Persona protagonists and no-one else.

Given that we've also apparently eliminated every possibility for 'Jane' in Smash bar the Royal girl, it also seems unlikely that they would have worked on her as a Joker skin if she didn't have reason to act in an extremely similar fashion to him.

I am not saying its not gonna happen. Just if that ends up being all it being, then fans only have themselves to blame from hyping themselves up into thinking it was something more

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Right now I'm leaning into the theory that Jane is going to be a DLC costume or echo that was originally planned for release alongside Joker, but was postponed based on Atlus taking their sweet time actually revealing them.

The fact that they dragged their feet on the Joker reveal, only to shadowdrop the 3.0 update (despite Nintendo usually taking a week to alert people for the sake of replays) makes me wonder whether or not things changed in the last minute.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Right now I'm leaning into the theory that Jane is going to be a DLC costume or echo that was originally planned for release alongside Joker, but was postponed based on Atlus taking their sweet time actually revealing them.

The fact that they dragged their feet on the Joker reveal, only to shadowdrop the 3.0 update (despite Nintendo usually taking a week to alert people for the sake of replays) makes me wonder whether or not things changed in the last minute.

If she was a costume or echo, and was completed. There was 0 reason not to wait until this week to release if they were waiting for Atlus to reveal her Wednesday. If she is still going to release, it only means she wouldn't have been ready anyway.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
If she was a costume or echo, and was completed. There was 0 reason not to wait until this week to release if they were waiting for Atlus to reveal her Wednesday. If she is still going to release, it only means she wouldn't have been ready anyway.
I don't think she's releasing this week. She'd probably be some kind of smaller May update that fixes some bugs and adds her to keep Ultimate hype going between major character reveals.

It's also a holiday week in Japan, a poor time to release a major update

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of possible reasons they may have released Joker early in spite of the concert. Maybe it's because whatever they'll reveal at the concert wouldn't constitute a sufficient enough reveal to include the content. Maybe they want more time to advertise "Jane" before she can be inducted into Smash. Maybe Nintendo literally mandated the DLC to be released early because of how long it took and how impatient people were getting. Maybe they wanted the Easter update out early because they're having an Investors meeting next week, or perhaps avoiding content release during Golden Week.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of possible reasons they may have released Joker early in spite of the concert. Maybe it's because whatever they'll reveal at the concert wouldn't constitute a sufficient enough reveal to include the content. Maybe they want more time to advertise "Jane" before she can be inducted into Smash. Maybe Nintendo literally mandated the DLC to be released early because of how long it took and how impatient people were getting. Maybe they wanted the Easter update out early because they're having an Investors meeting next week, or perhaps avoiding content release during Golden week.

Its just more of a hassle to release two updates so close to each other

Just feel people are grasping way too hard and gonna end up being disappointed

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people got too much hope from that tease, then thats them riling themselves up. Nothing in that tease suggests anything for her

I am not saying its not gonna happen. Just if that ends up being all it being, then fans only have themselves to blame from hyping themselves up into thinking it was something more
You know other then being the central focus of the teaser(something Marie never got), standing in the same spot as the protagonist from the his first reveal, and looking far to plain to be a party memember or confidant.

But your right it's all my fault and there no reason to expect a tease from a teaser.

Nov 28, 2018
Florida
I was watching PapaGenos' latest video, and NewWabiSabi said in their discord that Joker had frame data from Piranha Plant. So maybe it's not actually that important that "Jane" is so rooted in Jack's data?

(9:20 if timestamp doesn't work)

Yes. I was talking to Meshima about how there is no evidence to the claim that Joker is based on Cloud (from that one rumor), to which he responded that in earlier builds Joker only really took directly from plant because they shared the same frame data on lots of moves.

Though mind you it's completely different than the Jane situation. Joker just had the same integer values for frame data as Plant did. As my good friend Vaanrose said, Jane is likely directly connected to Joker. I'm interested to see what comes up out of it myself.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its just more of a hassle to release two updates so close to each other

Just feel people are grasping way too hard and gonna end up being disappointed
We had an update the week before the Joker drop, and that was to add Amiibo support. I don't really think they care about the "hassle" of back to back updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.