• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
That actually brings up a good question, would they have called him Yu if he was the playable character? Granted, Smash didn't use any of the canon names (Ren, Yu, Makoto), but it's not like they can call a playable character "Persona 4 Protagonist".
They'd probably call him "Hero" like in Golden's opening.

Don't know why Atlus is so weird with the protag names. He was just called Yu Narukami in the Arena games. C'mon, Atlus, just do that all the time.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this idea that the protag needs a name that everyone can recognize them (and that the VAs can say even if you name your character something else) by was one of the reasons that P5 has codenames for all of their main characters.

Sorta like Shepard in Mass Effect.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only time he's not called Yu(besides the Smash costume) are in games where you can input a name.

Both Arena's, Dancing all Night, and Cross Tag Battle use Yu.

If their weird about anyone's names it's the P3 Hero and Joker. The Dancing games use Makoto and Ren but never refer to them as such in actual dialogue.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The only time he's not called Yu(besides the Smash costume) are in games where you can input a name.

Both Arena's, Dancing all Night, and Cross Tag Battle use Yu.

If their weird about anyone's names it's the P3 Hero and Joker. The Dancing games use Makoto and Ren but never refer to them as such in actual dialogue.
I'd imagine that the eventual Persona 5 Arena would use the Ren name, especially since ASW is already calling him Ren on social media. Though now ASW could run the risk of causing confusion for those who know Ren/Joker from Smash.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Spirits are not a reason that would stop a XB rep from getting in, there's still a good amount of characters from the series not represented in

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Could've been a reference for a scrapped thing with the inkling
Could've been a reference for the Staff weapon
Maybe they considered having Snake use a rifle-type weapon at some point!
Comedy option: reference for K Rool's blunderbus

Maybe we'll see some images of it in a famitsu article some day

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only expecting DLC Character Pack 2 to be revealed at E3. And they will be released, at the latest, by the end of that month.

Am I alone in thinking this?

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Whatever it was, it could use a confirmation if there's no longer a need for secrecy. The theme of that compilation just made me think of that interview again.

EDIT: "Special feature", not theme.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the DLC were decided in 2015, we'd have gotten Yu Narukami (assuming we were still getting a Persona rep).
Comparing Joker with other Persona protagonists, I wonder if any leads of their kind would have ever gotten in.

Someone like Narukami would be marginally more interesting than a Fire Emblem character. Joker is dressed like a modern Arsene Lupin and oozes flair with every movement. The whole Phantom Thief gig is just fun and stylish and such a huge part of Persona 5's appeal. It makes a fantastic first impression.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only expecting DLC Character Pack 2 to be revealed at E3. And they will be released, at the latest, by the end of that month.

Am I alone in thinking this?
I can see there only be one character at e3 UNLESS there is also a first party to go with it, since I can't see introducing 3 third party characters back to back without giving any breathing room. Even Cloud enjoyed a few weeks and his own reveal, and then his release held everyone over for another 2 months before Corrin/Bayonetta were actually released.

I'm 50/50 on releasing by the end of june, I could see July

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I'm interested to see what the translations have to show. Even if its not smash-related, knowing more about sakurai's approach to designing stuff is always interesting to know.

One thing I've noticed in interviews where sakurai talks about how each character was chosen, he usually starts off with how he wanted the series to be included instead of him seeing it as "xxx company should be included". Just look at the cloud interview where he states that a FF rep was intended and how he went to Atlus with the intention of asking for P5.

Of course there are exceptions (corrin was chosen based on the first-party games that were released), but I really do wonder if he would choose multiple IPs from the same company if he really felt that their representation would be fantastic.

Comparing Joker with other Persona protagonists, I wonder if any leads of their kind would have ever gotten in.

Someone like Narukami would be marginally more interesting than a Fire Emblem character. Joker is dressed like a modern Arsene Lupin and oozes flair with every movement. The whole Phantom Thief gig is just fun and stylish and such a huge part of Persona 5's appeal. It makes a fantastic first impression.
I'm of the opinion that he chose P5 based off its critical reception. Persona as a series didn't seem to be big on his radar till recently (based off his interviews) and it never seemed to be a iconic franchise unlike FF, which was chosen in smash 4 dlc.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the opinion that he chose P5 based off its critical reception. Persona as a series didn't seem to be big on his radar till recently (based off his interviews) and it never seemed to be a iconic franchise unlike FF, which was chosen in smash 4 dlc.
I guess what I'm actually thinking is Joker's inclusion in Smash feels like a testament for what the Phantom Thief aesthetic did for P5.

Or...something along those lines.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion OT2 | "Is that Kirby?" "He's got a gun!"

Status
Not open for further replies.