• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We really need something to talk about, lol.

With Avengers Endgame being released soon, and Nintendo publishing Ultimate Alliance 3, if you could add one Marvel character, who would it be?

(And for a second challenge, it can't be Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Captain Marvel, or Black Panther.)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

With Avengers Endgame being released soon, and Nintendo publishing Ultimate Alliance 3, if you could add one Marvel character, who would it be?

(And for a second challenge, it can't be Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Captain America, or Thor.)
Spider-Man

oh, uh... how about we get another OP witch in Smash with Scarlet Witch?

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
So I did raise this, but I really feel that sakurai/Nintendo isn't really using smash to promote better ties with their partner firms.
As companies, what they probably look out for is opportunities to work more closely (outsourcing work, crossovers, game porting to Nintendo's consoles) and I fail to see how a single crossover can mean so much to a relationship. Money is the lynchpin of their relationships, not smash.

It's entirely likely that the latter chose the dlc based off third-party series that sell. Which may mean that we "could" get multiple reps from the same company and I can't see what's stopping them. Why not work closely with the same company for multiple IPs which could mean an easier workflow/costs?
I'm not saying that it's confirmed (far from it), but I never see the possibility raised here.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Konami got a unique newcomer on the base roster, Sega/Atlus just got Joker, and Square Enix is most likely getting Erdrick, so I have a pretty good feeling about Namco and Capcom.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I wonder if it's a push harder to get characters since they're asking for money
It's not an assumption, he outright said it when commenting on the development of the Smash Wii U DLC.
Maybe you just read too much into his comment. He want to emphasize that they are taking their jobs serious with the characters. What would you want him to say?

Dude, We are taking it easy with development so I hope that y'all like the contents that we are making. Peace!

That wouldn't strike an inspiration for the customers and fans to hear that. I'm certain positive that Ultimate DLC Development is way easier than Smash 4 and Ultimate but might be slightly harder than Smash 4 DLC because they're still working on adding new mode(s). like they did with Stage Builder, etc.
Fair enough, and I might've looked at it too literally. All this would be fine. It's just a concerning thing to hear without all the context, a man known to work to the point of affecting his health, now working harder.

Perhaps he even meant pushed harder creatively, concept-wise, etc.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Imagine if they got Scorpion, someone from Tekken, and Nightmare from Soul Caliber. They would have encompassed the most well known fighting game characters into one game.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Konami got a unique newcomer on the base roster, Sega/Atlus just got Joker, and Square Enix is most likely getting Erdrick, so I have a pretty good feeling about Namco and Capcom.
Do you think Nightmare from Soul Caliber or someone from Tekken is possible for a second Namco character?

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
p5-kazumi-18uk9t.jpg

So much better.
The red shoes are good, but some of you guys get really weird about showing little bits of skin.

Uh, anyway to get back to Smash talk- there are hundreds of different variations of DQ Slime figurines, does that mean Slime has a shot? :O

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Imagine if they got Scorpion, someone from Tekken, and Nightmare from Soul Caliber. They would have encompassed the most well known fighting game characters into one game.
If Mortal Kombat games were able to be released in Japan, I could see it. That one is definitely out of the running.

Do you think Nightmare from Soul Caliber or someone from Tekken is possible for a second Namco character?
Why not both with Yoshimitsu?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Yoshimitsu is a minor character in Tekken and Soulcalibur, and it's not even the same Yoshimitsu in both series.
I know that, it's just my fun idea that i've posted here a few times. Tie together moves from each of his appearances and make each alt a unique Yoshimitsu.

No need to be a downer about a random idea i'm just throwing out.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
The red shoes are good, but some of you guys get really weird about showing little bits of skin.
The issue is that most of the time when there's male and female options the male is dressed up while the latter has a lot less clothes on and is often more sexualized.

ex:
tumblr_inline_pmw36eVznq1so29dq_540.png
OJ0Tv6r.png

It gets tiring how common it is. Women MUST be sexy and titillating no matter the cost.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I didn't mean to be a downer, I was just responding to the question.
It was never a serious question in the first place (though I guess that wasn't clear). I don't think the next Bandai Namco rep will be from Tekken or Soul Calibur anyway (Tales or Dark Souls are my best guesses).

When it came to me thinking of Tekken or Soul calibur my mind always went to Yoshimitsu . Makes perfect sense imo
Well, i'm glad someone agrees with my silly little idea. It won't happen, but I would be down for it.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The issue is that most of the time when there's male and female options the male is dressed up while the latter has a lot less clothes on and is often more sexualized.

ex:
OJ0Tv6r.png

It gets tiring how common it is. Women MUST be sexy and titillating no matter the cost.
It's unnecessarily sexualized and badly designed. None of the elements she's wearing are cohesive.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

ex:
OJ0Tv6r.png

I've noticed that it's more in japanese games overall. Like look at women designs in stuff like the witcher, uncharted, TLOU, GoW, etc.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018

I think it's more about how people speculate that characters are chosen based on Nintendo's relationships, hence all the DOOM/Microsoft/NG suggestions. The thing is, I can see Namco/Capcom having reps being in the dlc pass, but discussion should be based off the popularity/sales/whether they fit smash (like tekken/RE), not because "xxx company worked closely with Nintendo hence their chance is better" arguments I've seen thrown out there so many times.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Well now that Sakurai has played Cuphead, we can safely expect him to be in the next Smash

kinda joking, but at the same time, maybe as a spirit/AT?

on a mostly unrelated note, this Ness comparison really points out how Sakurai probably does use figures for reference. The forehead especially is much more like the figure in Smash 4/Ultimate.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

ex:
OJ0Tv6r.png

F!Byleth is the worst both because of how awful she looks but also because IS got it 100% right with F!Robin.

F!Corrin was close, but those exposed inner thighs got the side-eye form me. At least they got fixed in Smash.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I stared at that for a couple of minutes thinking "oh that seems fine?" until I realized those textures were ripped stockings
on a mostly unrelated note, this Ness comparison really points out how Sakurai probably does use figures for reference. The forehead especially is much more like the figure in Smash 4/Ultimate.

the Pit one is more Uprising than that figure, but the Ness example is good

I assume it's more for characters that don't have a lot of (modern) 3D models to reference?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

ex:
OJ0Tv6r.png

Why are you talking about Byleth when the comment was specifically about Kasumi, whose aesthetic is generally more cohesive in the first place?

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Ugh... They've pulled off parity between avatars before. Why can't they do it now?

(And for a second challenge, it can't be Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Captain Marvel, or Black Panther.)

Easy. She-Hulk.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Why's that? And artist preference isn't an excuse for sexualizing the feminine avatar while the masculine one is dressed sensibly.
Well, as someone commented in the thread on the latest Three Houses news pointed out, various aspects of FemByleth's design are actually something of counter-culture fashion trends in Japan right now, and apparently, an exposed navel isn't considered attractive in the same manner as it is in the west.

The artist, Kurahana Chinatsu, is mostly known for doing a lot of otome game work, and similar stylings can actually be found in other female character designs she's done. As an example, look at the what the girl in the upper-right of this collage is wearing:

5.jpg.fcb9f0b19928b7e9fcecab229c50fb8c.jpg

The collar, and even the drapery down the neckline, are very similar to the collar that female Byleth wears. It's just a fashion accessory that she apparently likes.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is Kamala even in Ultimate Alliance 3?
Not right now, but we don't know the full roster yet.

Uh, anyway to get back to Smash talk- there are hundreds of different variations of DQ Slime figurines, does that mean Slime has a shot? :O
I think this is the general point Lady Bow is getting at.

It's not just about showing skin, it's about her age & how that relates to what she's wearing (even considering the design influence).

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The female design in Three Houses is just goofy-looking. Are those torn leggings? And why the exposed belly button? If they're going to add these semi-sexualized touches, at least make it look cohesive.

The male design looks dreamy, tho. Strong design.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Well now that Sakurai has played Cuphead, we can safely expect him to be in the next Smash

kinda joking, but at the same time, maybe as a spirit/AT?

Ooo, what does the Mashedpotato Samurai have to say about Cuphead??

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Well, as someone commented in the thread on the latest Three Houses news pointed out, various aspects of FemByleth's design are actually something of counter-culture fashion trends in Japan right now, and apparently, an exposed navel isn't considered attractive in the same manner as it is in the west.

The artist, Kurahana Chinatsu, is mostly known for doing a lot of otome game work, and similar stylings can actually be found in other female character designs she's done. As an example, look at the what the girl in the upper-right of this collage is wearing:

5.jpg.fcb9f0b19928b7e9fcecab229c50fb8c.jpg

The collar, and even the drapery down the neckline, are very similar to the collar that female Byleth wears. It's just a fashion accessory that she apparently likes.

It's ok to have designs like that at times, even if it's egregious even standalone. But it's especially noticeable when the masc avatar is so standard in his appearance while the femme one is wearing "high fashion" into battle.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's ok to have designs like that at times, even if it's egregious even standalone. But it's especially noticeable when the masc avatar is so standard in his appearance while the femme one is wearing "high fashion" into battle.
I never said it was high fashion. Only that it reflects certain counterculture Japanese trends. The male Byleth has his own fashion flourishes that are more flash than function; it's just that his clothing doesn't show as much skin.

EDIT: Also, I never answered your original question. Why isn't Byleth like Robin and Corrin? As only one reason (there are likely others), Byleth has a fixed male/female appearance (rather than a customizable one) which allows them to appear in prerendered cutscenes. Awakening and Fates had to constantly frame cutscenes from Robin/Corrin's perspective because the prerendered scenes couldn't account for the custom character appearance.

Last edited:

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I never said it was high fashion. Only that it reflects certain counterculture Japanese trends. The male Byleth has his own fashion flourishes that are more flash than function; it's just that his clothing doesn't show as much skin.

EDIT: Also, I never answered your original question. Why isn't Byleth like Robin and Corrin? As only one reason (there are likely others), Byleth has a fixed male/female appearance (rather than a customizable one) which allows them to appear in prerendered cutscenes. Awakening and Fates had to constantly frame cutscenes from Robin/Corrin's perspective because the prerendered scenes couldn't account for the custom character appearance.

Ah. Thanks for answering my question! But I don't know, he doesn't seem too flashy. I mean, I guess his bits of armor? Maybe?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Ah. Thanks for answering my question! But I don't know, he doesn't seem too flashy. I mean, I guess his bits of armor? Maybe?
Yeah, it's largely his armor, which does a great job of guarding his arms and shoulders while leaving his chest wide open to attack. Female Byleth arguably has more protection around her torso than he does.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
The female design in Three Houses is just goofy-looking. Are those torn leggings? And why the exposed belly button? If they're going to add these semi-sexualized touches, at least make it look cohesive.

The portrait and artwork tricked me into thinking that Byleth was a rather decent design, but it really is bad, even if they fixed the main problem.

They also gave her a larger bust on the 3D model, so with that weird armor on top, it makes her upper torso look disproportionately large.

If I saw the following design and it was a completely unrelated character to the male version, with an accurate 3D model, I'd like it.
fFd2UOM.jpg

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

There are actually woven leggings with very intricate woven designs.

il_340x270.1051654971_pgrq.jpg

il_794xN.1554138829_r1ql.jpg

Like other elements of her design, they're just a touch of what the artist chose to include, likely in favor of regular tights or all-too-common zettai ryouki leggings.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
it turns out Jane was actually a typo for Jade this entire time, our pony-tail haired Dragon Quest rep

feature

I know this is being posted for fun (and I agree, from a gameplay/design perspective Jade would be AWESOME), but her Japanese name is Martina FYI

I don't really mind this design, but I wonder if we could get another design as well? like Armored version.

3lvm4Ag.jpg

It would be cool if we get both. I had a doubt about that anyway since there is a chance that we could get Luminary.

You know, for all the "OMG AnImE sWoRdSmAn ArE aLl BoRiNg AnD lOoK aLiKe" having a fully armored knight like the armored hero getup would really stand out as something not really done in Smash yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.