• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Smash Fun Fact #782: you can see the characters' skeletons in Smash 64 when they get electrocuted

vIadb2Y.png

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
The rumor said Doom Slayer & Steve would be revealed at E3, which kinda has me doubting the whole rumor.

Honestly, I would argue that they would space out the reveals a bit more (or at the very least, use EVO as a means to announce a big character like how they used EVO last year to announce the Smash Direct).

But if Steve and Doomguy are the last two and they all get announced before June, it would make many feel like the content should all drop before Halloween and not around February 2020. Yeah... This is definitely rubbing me the wrong way now.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
No way in any definition of hell is an Undertale character going to be playable DLC.
Sold more than Persona 5 WW and is super popular in Japan. It's entirely possible. More likely than Doomguy or Scorpion, anyway, imo, which are from series Japan basically doesn't give a shit about. Steve, maybe.

Joker honestly opened so many doors for Smash potential.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sold more than Persona 5 WW and is super popular in Japan. It's entirely possible. More likely than Doomguy or Scorpion, anyway, imo, which are from series Japan basically doesn't give a shit about. Steve, maybe.

Joker honestly opened so many doors for Smash potential.
I repeat, no way in any hell. Pure sales counts don't matter. Particularly when comparing a $60 RPG thus far released on one platform with a $10 released on PC and multiple consoles. Not to mention Sega/Atlus are business partners of Nintendo and Toby Fox is a singular person with no specific connections to Nintendo.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't want fucking Sans. I'm so sick of him being the o ly Undertale related thing people talk about.

Frisk, Undyne, Papyrus, Kris, Ralsei, the Annoying Dog fucking anybody before more Sans.

Heck add Mad Mew Mew. She's even exclusive to the Switch version. You get a lgbt character in Smash on top of it.
latest

But no I don't see Undertale getting a character period. At most some spirits or an assist trophy in the next game.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when we'll start seeing the data for the other three characters in the files.

I can only imagine the speculation over the code names.

Imagine if they just used random names like rutabaga or sewing machine as code for the characters.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
serious discussion, smash always adds the protagonist first, if undertale gets in it will 100% be frisk

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I would love Minecraft Steve. I think the stage would be super fun and unique too, but there's pretty much no end to the possibilities for a Steve Moveset... I don't really understand why people are this vehemently against Minecraft representation in Smash.

I'm less interested in Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy. Ryu might have a fun ninja moveset but I feel Doomguy, like Bayonetta, just doesn't fit into the Smash vibe. They're too different stylistically. I'd include Snake on that list too but they lean a lot into his goofy side, and that makes it work in that instance but I can't imagine them pulling the same trick again considering how imo they failed with Bayonetta. Erdrick I have no feelings on. Joker was the hypest announcement and imo worth the cost of fighter's pass on his own.

I don't buy this rumour though. I do think Steve gets in regardless but I reckon Nintendo are going for deeper cuts. Joker is out of nowhere. Erdrick would be hype for long standing DQ fans. I think this leaker just picked some random popular old games that happened to be on Nintendo and used 'announcement dates' to back it up.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Honestly, I would argue that they would space out the reveals a bit more (or at the very least, use EVO as a means to announce a big character like how they used EVO last year to announce the Smash Direct).

But if Steve and Doomguy are the last two and they all get announced before June, it would make many feel like the content should all drop before Halloween and not around February 2020. Yeah... This is definitely rubbing me the wrong way now.

Agreed. I feel like I'm buying into it because others bought into it, & because after Erdrick, I'm giving up much hope on the DLC being good. But there's definitely red flags in this leak.

Heck add Mad Mew Mew. She's even exclusive to the Switch version. You get a lgbt character in Smash on top of it.

We have Ike, but I'd love to have more!

serious discussion, smash always adds the protagonist first, if undertale gets in it will 100% be frisk

I feel like Frisk would be an exception, though. Every other character with a boss fight is more memorable than they are, & arguably has a far stronger chance. Frisk mostly just fights using diplomacy specific to each enemy or stabbing people with a regular knife off-screen, so I don't think there's any way for even Sakurai to make a moveset out of them. Hell,
Frisk just being a vessel for the main character to drive the story is a major point in the game!

Thinking it over, the only way Frisk would work is if they summon Sans, Papyrus, Toriel, Undyne, Alphys, Mettaton, Asgore, & other characters for their attacks.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Max always gets what he wants, so it'll probably happen.

Yup. Said it in the MK thread, but he's basically going off no evidence beyond a friend joking that a Smash crossover is why MK11 was a no show at E3 prior to Nintendo's show, & he's been trying to will Sub-Zero into Smash ever since. And after Cloud got in twice, he has a track record.

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My predictions for the other four fighters based on absolutely nothing:

• Capcom Character (Phoenix Wright/Monster Hunter/Felyne?)
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses Lord (that hopefully doesn't use a sword)
  • Gen 8 Pokemon

My personal wish list:

• Phoenix Wright (If he can get in other fighting games, he can get into smash)
  • Solaire (Praise the sun!)
  • Undyne (LGBT+Female rep)
  • Sceptile (Avatar Quote)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Let's be real here, what would Nintendo gain from promoting a franchise like Mortal Kombat, one that can't be sold in Japan? I mean, Lucas likely wouldn't have gotten in at all if Sakurai knew Mother 3 wasn't gonna be localized.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real here, what would Nintendo gain from promoting a franchise like Mortal Kombat, one that can't be sold in Japan? I mean, Lucas likely wouldn't have gotten in at all if Sakurai knew Mother 3 wasn't gonna be localized.

I'm trying to think because I always think of this stuff beyond simple character exposure to Smash and DLC sales. But I really can't think of anything. Pushing MK or other Netherealm games (what, they got two major franchises?) on Switch may only go so far? I dunno anymore

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Realistically speaking, I don't think that any Mortal Kombat character has a chance. The games don't sell in Japan, and Netherrealm's track record on Nintendo hardware has been spotty. The only game they released on any console between Armageddon and MK11 was the first Injustice on the Wii U, and they didn't even release all of that game's DLC on Wii U.

Netherrealm doesn't strike me as a company that Nintendo would bend over backwards to get representation in Smash.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was more support for a Tetris fighter in Smash. I can't think of a more off-the-wall choice than attempting to make Tetris into a fighter, but it would certainly be worthwhile venture. The biggest cross-over partnering with the best-selling video game? Sign me up!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
KOS-MOS is all I will ever want and I legitimately think she has a shot as she is Namco's most popular crossover character.

irFbHFD.jpg

credit to Lynn Eslie on the smash discord for the wonderful dlc banner

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
KOS-MOS is all I will ever want and I legitimately think she has a shot as she is Namco's most popular crossover character.

irFbHFD.jpg

credit to Lynn Eslie on the smash discord for the wonderful dlc banner

For your sake I hope it happens.

Ecthel

Nov 20, 2017
The real question is; Are we going to get more contents than we are expecting? Beyond Mii Costumes and Fighters Pass? I'm positive that some fans would hope that we would get more contents somehow.

I get everyone posting DLC characters wishlist but what about a Stage Pack DLC or a Stadium Modes DLC?

Think of a Legacy Stages pack featuring the few cut stages from previous games with a total of 11 stages which makes for a row in the Stage Select Screen.
64: Sector Z and Planet Zebes
Melee: Mute City and PokéFloats
For 3DS: Rainbow Road and Pac-Maze
For WiiU: Wolly World, Pyrosphere, Orbital Gate Assault and Jungle Hijinxs
Bonus: Metal Cavern from SSB64

Or even better, make a Stage pack featuring franchices not so well represented or that so far have only Assist Trophies status.
The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Takamaru)
Golden Sun (Isaac)
Advance Wars (Infantry and tanks which were sadly removed)
Sin and Punishment (Saki)

For a Stadium Modes DLC pack I think we can all agree that Home-Run Contest was a weird cut. A Boss Rush mode also makes sense to bring back. I would love a DLC pack with Break the Targets mode Melee style, but that seems extremely unlikely. I know I'll pay for it but I feel not a lot of people would care for it.

As QOL free updates, I think they should add a sorting option on both the Stage Select Screen and the Character Select Screen to sort by franchice instead of by first smash appearance. Also
the option to repeat that one fight almost at the end of WoL against an army of light and dark enemies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The real newcomer we need.

ASMvYfx.png

For ease of access, the listed dynamite tracks from the NMH series

N.M.H. - Masafumi Takada
Cashmere Cannonball - Masafumi Takada
Heat In Your Hand - Masafumi Takada
Samurai Summer - Masafumi Takada
Mach 13 Elephant Explosion - Masafumi Takada
Dynamite Rider - Masafumi Takada
Pleather for Breakfast - Masafumi Takada
We Are Finally Cowboys - Masafumi Takada
It's Kill Or Be Killed! - Fukuju, Thomas Richardson, Masafumi Takada
Sling Shot - The Riot -Teens Of Anger-
Sub Crazy - Hondalady
Shoegazer Watched The Stars - Hondalady
Subuta.1 - Machine Head
Feet on the Air - Neutrino
Feet on the Air [μ ver.] - Neutrino vs Missile Chewbuck
Travesty - Neutrino

Get ready for Viewtiful Joe, my dudes

Anyway on a serious note, I didn't follow the Kamiya Smash meltdown the other week - having said that, I was informed some time ago that one of Kamiya's self-made responses to his own poll was expressing disappointment that Viewtiful Joe and Wonder Red weren't doing as well as his other characters.

Kamiya's been doing an unusual amount of Twitter plugging for Viewtiful Joe since E3, which followed multiple rumors that Capcom were co-operating with Platinum on resurrecting one of their franchises (Liam Robertson implied initially that back in 2016-ish it was supposed to be Okami, but this was before Platinum's star producer who upheld their relations was forced to resign and the plans fell apart). That we continue to get rumors about it now and with VJ3 being a supposedly not so hidden secret in the works, I feel there's a strong possibility that it's a Nintendo exclusive cross-company collaboration given that something would've had to change for Capcom and Platinum to pick back up work together, and Nintendo working on another Platinum title other than Bayonetta 3 is something several insiders have confirmed.

Either that or The Wonderful 101 is going to get another chance in the limelight.

I wouldn't be shocked if either TW101 or Viewtiful Joe end up in this game, the latter to promote an upcoming sequel (and because Capcom are just generally the most reliable third party partners they have), or the former because it's a first party franchise they have which they could possibly give a bit of a boost by representing, as it was a notable first party game that had a sizable budget but which flew under the radar a little bit. I'm leaning Joe for the time being, given Kamiya trying to get the spotlight back on the character, but wouldn't be surprised if it swings either way. I'm semi-confident either character will make it in, and if not, that we'll at least get another Kamiya-created Capcom character.

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Steve would be legitimately awful, not only would he look completely out of place he's also literally the most generic character imaginable who in his own game (where he doesn't technically exist, he's just a default player model) doesn't even stand out. What would his moveset even be?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wouldn't be shocked if either TW101 or Viewtiful Joe end up in this game, the latter to promote an upcoming sequel (and because Capcom are just generally the most reliable third party partners they have), or the former because it's a first party franchise they have which they could possibly give a bit of a boost by representing, as it was a notable first party game that had a sizable budget but which flew under the radar a little bit. I'm leaning Joe for the time being, given Kamiya trying to get the spotlight back on the character, but wouldn't be surprised if it swings either way. I'm semi-confident either character will make it in, and if not, that we'll at least get another Kamiya-created Capcom character.
I mean, Wonder Red would generally be a tough sell as DLC. He's someone you'd pick for the base roster.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Wonder Red would generally be a tough sell as DLC. He's someone you'd pick for the base roster.
I don't think selling individual packs is going to matter that much for Nintendo. They're making way more money off of the season pass, and the Joker announcement alone has likely already convinced a good portion of their audience to put their money down on it.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't think selling individual packs is going to matter that much for Nintendo. They're making way more money off of the season pass, and the Joker announcement alone has likely already convinced a good portion of their audience to put their money down on it.
But not everyone is gonna be getting the pass, even Sakurai said it was a leap of faith. You'll still have casual players buying the characters individually, & good luck trying to sell them a character from one of the Wii U's biggest bombas. I say this as someone who wants Wonder Red, but is fully aware of his realistic chances.

His best hope at this point is a successful Switch port that'll bring him back to relevancy.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But not everyone is gonna be getting the pass, even Sakurai said it was a leap of faith. You'll still have casual players buying the characters individually, & good luck trying to sell them a character from one of the Wii U's biggest bombas. I say this as someone who wants Wonder Red, but is fully aware of his realistic chances.

His best hope at this point is a successful Switch port that'll bring him back to relevancy.
Sakurai's transparency has nothing to do with the content we're getting. People will buy the season pass just because it's Smash. You can't factor for everyone enjoying every character. Yes, Joker is obviously a much bigger deal than any of the two previously mentioned characters but that doesn't preclude the notion that there are people that will opt against getting him as well, though will most likely get the character anyway through the season pass.

The reason developers make season passes is because they always sell better than providing content individually. Let's not be so deluded as to think most people won't buy it simply because it's Smash or because it's more bang for the buck. Ultimately that still translates to a character on a game that sold terribly getting exposed to millions.

Nov 13, 2017
I really wish they made Alucard a playable character :-( His assist trophy is so cool and he reminds me of Castelvania more than Simon or Richter ever will.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sakurai's transparency has nothing to do with the content we're getting. People will buy the season pass just because it's Smash. You can't factor for everyone enjoying every character. Yes, Joker is obviously a much bigger deal than any of the two previously mentioned characters but that doesn't preclude the notion that there are people that will opt against getting him as well, though will most likely get the character anyway through the season pass.

The reason developers make season passes is because they always sell better than providing content individually. Let's not be so deluded as to think most people won't buy it simply because it's Smash or because it's more bang for the buck. Ultimately that still translates to a character on a game that sold terribly getting exposed to millions.
But unless there's a W101 port on the horizon, I don't see why Nintendo would bother with Wonder Red given how badly his game bombed.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real newcomer we need.

ASMvYfx.png

For ease of access, the listed dynamite tracks from the NMH series

N.M.H. - Masafumi Takada
Cashmere Cannonball - Masafumi Takada
Heat In Your Hand - Masafumi Takada
Samurai Summer - Masafumi Takada
Mach 13 Elephant Explosion - Masafumi Takada
Dynamite Rider - Masafumi Takada
Pleather for Breakfast - Masafumi Takada
We Are Finally Cowboys - Masafumi Takada
It's Kill Or Be Killed! - Fukuju, Thomas Richardson, Masafumi Takada
Sling Shot - The Riot -Teens Of Anger-
Sub Crazy - Hondalady
Shoegazer Watched The Stars - Hondalady
Subuta.1 - Machine Head
Feet on the Air - Neutrino
Feet on the Air [μ ver.] - Neutrino vs Missile Chewbuck
Travesty - Neutrino

Anyway on a serious note, I didn't follow the Kamiya Smash meltdown the other week - having said that, I was informed some time ago that one of Kamiya's self-made responses to his own poll was expressing disappointment that Viewtiful Joe and Wonder Red weren't doing as well as his other characters.

Kamiya's been doing an unusual amount of Twitter plugging for Viewtiful Joe since E3, which followed multiple rumors that Capcom were co-operating with Platinum on resurrecting one of their franchises (Liam Robertson implied initially that back in 2016-ish it was supposed to be Okami, but this was before Platinum's star producer who upheld their relations was forced to resign and the plans fell apart). That we continue to get rumors about it now and with VJ3 being a supposedly not so hidden secret in the works, I feel there's a strong possibility that it's a Nintendo exclusive cross-company collaboration given that something would've had to change for Capcom and Platinum to pick back up work together, and Nintendo working on another Platinum title other than Bayonetta 3 is something several insiders have confirmed.

Either that or The Wonderful 101 is going to get another chance in the limelight.

I've said it before but Travis is the biggest reason I hope the rumor is fake. I'd be fine if it turned out true but with Joker in Travis is without a doubt my most wanted character.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when we'll start seeing the data for the other three characters in the files.

I can only imagine the speculation over the code names.

Imagine if they just used random names like rutabaga or sewing machine as code for the characters.

I saw a 4chan theory that the codenames simply refer to the first letter of the character's name. So Joker is codenamed "Jack" because both words start with J rather than any connection with Jack Frost.

Banjo CONFIRMED!!!

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
With Travis Strikes Again coming out in January I feel like Travis would have been the first character announced if he was gonna be in at all.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was a meltdown? What happened?
He posted a poll (which he's since deleted) asking which of his characters people would prefer seeing in Smash between Dante, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu and Wonder Red. A bunch of people started tweeting at him afterward and you can make a guess what happens next. Apparently he made a tweet during the entire stint that he was let down that Joe and Red didn't get as many votes.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He posted a poll (which he's since deleted) asking which of his characters people would prefer seeing in Smash between Dante, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu and Wonder Red. A bunch of people started tweeting at him afterward and you can make a guess what happens next. Apparently he made a tweet during the entire stint that he was let down that Joe and Red didn't get as many votes.

Yeah instead of voting in the poll, people blew up his Twitter asking him all kinds of questions, yatta yatta. You know being typical twitter annoying. At this point I wonder if he secretly likes things that set him off. Like he HAD to know people were going to annoy him after posting that poll

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Been Playing Kingdom Hearts for the first time, and I'm more behind Sora than ever before.

Series has tons of original characters, locations and songs to use. It doesn't need Disney at all.

Give me a hollow bastion stage
Hollow_Bastion.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yup. Said it in the MK thread, but he's basically going off no evidence beyond a friend joking that a Smash crossover is why MK11 was a no show at E3 prior to Nintendo's show, & he's been trying to will Sub-Zero into Smash ever since. And after Cloud got in twice, he has a track record.

He was also in the bayonetta train too

If I was sakurai I would absolutely have the code names for the characters to be "goku" or "kratos" or "wordclippy"

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Been Playing Kingdom Hearts for the first time, and I'm more behind Sora than ever before.

Series has tons of original characters, locations and songs to use. It doesn't need Disney at all.

Give me a hollow bastion stage
Hollow_Bastion.jpg
The problem is that even the OG Kingdom Hearts stuff is owned by Disney. They pretty much just let Square do whatever they want with it, but you'd still have to negotiate the license and characters with them.

That said, yes. KH has incredible original locations they could pull from and there's no end to what they could pull off with him, especially if they were allowed to use Donald and Goofy for a final smash or something.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts would be perfect for third-party Smash representation if the licensing requirements weren't such a quagmire that not even Square Enix could keep the Sora DLC for World of Final Fantasy available.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that even the OG Kingdom Hearts stuff is owned by Disney. They pretty much just let Square do whatever they want with it, but you'd still have to negotiate the license and characters with them.

That said, yes. KH has incredible original locations they could pull from and there's no end to what they could pull off with him, especially if they were allowed to use Donald and Goofy for a final smash or something.
For me I imagine the main hiccup wouldn't be getting Disney on board, but Sakurai himself actually.

I figure he wouldn't want to use the Disney characters as they didn't originate in a game.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
For me I imagine the main hiccup wouldn't be getting Disney on board, but Sakurai himself actually.

I figure he wouldn't want to use the Disney characters as they didn't originate in a game.
Well, Sora is a Disney character and they've vetoed him showing up in fighting games in the past, so getting them on board is still a hurdle. A big part of Sora's gameplay identity is having Goofy and Donald around for battle shenanigans too, so while it's definitely not necessary, it'd be pretty awesome to have them pop in for Trinity Limit as a final smash or something.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Erdrick was confirmed for me the second Granblue Fantasy Versus was announced. Who the fuck just guesses that? Also he called P5R (easier of the two to guess by far). The rumor with all 5 I'm a bit hesitant but I'll say it's real.

Status
Not open for further replies.