• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People also asked if Sonic would be in Brawl after the Mario+Sonic Olympic Games and were told no I'm pretty sure.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
So what you're saying is that, because the marketing director of 343 - whom we don't even know if he was involved in the potential negotiations, of course - said Master Chief isn't in Smash's DLC, it means that Master Chief never ever will ever happen.
No, I'm saying the marketing director of the studio responsible for Halo games saying "Master Chief is not Smash DLC" -- not "I haven't heard anything about it" -- months after the DLC has been finalized is pretty damn definitive to me. Why respond to the Tweet if he didn't know anything?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I'm saying the marketing director of the studio responsible for Halo games saying "Master Chief is not Smash DLC" -- not "I haven't heard anything about it" -- months after the DLC has been finalized is pretty damn definitive to me. Why even respond to the Tweet if they didn't know?

I dunno, there's many motives for someone like him to respond.
Could be a ploy so people would be more excited when it does happen. Could be that for some reason, they were told to deny it because only Nintendo was allowed to reveal it. Could be that only certain people know, and those that weren't included in the negotiations were told MC is not in.

Corporations and especially collaborations between big corporations don't always make a lot of sense, and even less so when it comes to marketing.

I don't think that it's likely that Master Chief is in the DLC either way, but until we have more people from MS' higher ranks corroborate this guy's statement, I'm not going to buy it wholesale.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
No, I'm saying the marketing director of the studio responsible for Halo games saying "Master Chief is not Smash DLC" -- not "I haven't heard anything about it" -- months after the DLC has been finalized is pretty damn definitive to me. Why respond to the Tweet if he didn't know anything?

To be absolutely fair, the exact quote was "Master Chief is not is Smash DLC". That second "is" is very important. Of course it all depends on what the definition of the word is is.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Clinton joke aside, he probably just meant to type "in."

Can any character really be considered "in" Smash DLC? Smash DLC is a state of existence. You either are Smash DLC or are not. There is no physical existence "inside" Smash DLC. It is not a dwelling we can enter.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can any character really be considered "in" Smash DLC? Smash DLC is a state of existence. You either are Smash DLC or are not. There is no physical existence "inside" Smash DLC. It is not a dwelling we can enter.

Holy shit, who knew Smash DLC discussion could become this philosophical!!
Next you'll tell me Nietzsche is gonna be a DLC character.
PALUTENA IS DEAD.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I think there is a simple approach for us getting new assist trophies is that they comes free as part of the update; rather than being a part of DLC.

Also I have an question for everyone here;

If we are getting two new modes in 3.0; are y'all still expecting new modes for future patches (4.0.0 and further)

Definitely! Boss Battles is ideal, and maybe they'll squeeze in some additional Multi-Man stuff. (Hey, can't be that hard to bring back 15-Minute Smash...)

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm expecting the Direct to be, at the earliest, next week, not this one.
I do think that they're gonna release 3.0 around the middle of April, perhaps leaning towards early, and the Direct dropping at least 2 weeks before that, perhaps 3.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I'm expecting the Direct to be, at the earliest, next week, not this one.
I do think that they're gonna release 3.0 around the middle of April, perhaps leaning towards early, and the Direct dropping at least 2 weeks before that, perhaps 3.

April 1 would be the perfect release date for Joker. Probably wishful thinking for it to be THAT early though.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
For people who responded to my question;

It would be awesome to see them adding Boss Battles since it's pretty fun to face all bosses again without going through first part of the final battle. Create Your Target Test would be best mode in the Smash history if they want to bring them back.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Nindie direct announced for this week. Most likely means no Smash direct this week.

HOWEVER: Wouldn't it be wild if they announced an indie character for Smash DLC on Wednesday?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Nindie direct announced for this week. Most likely means no Smash direct this week.

HOWEVER: Wouldn't it be wild if they announced an indie character for Smash DLC on Wednesday?
Shovel Knight is the only indie important enough to be and is already an assist. The only thing remotely close would be Undertale and I see it impossible.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Shovel Knight is the only indie important enough to be and is already an assist. The only thing remotely close would be Undertale and I see it impossible.

I think calling any relatively note-worthy video game main character "impossible" at this point is asking to get read in a sarcastic voice by a Youtuber at some point in the future.

Oct 25, 2017

Quote?

latest

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So how's everyone feel about the Reuben Langdon situation?

I know a big reason some people here don't want Dragon Quest or Minecraft content is because of the shitty people associated with them so I'm curious how people feel about Ken now.

.https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...o-and-black-lives-matter-goes-too-far.106010/
I'm less motivated to learn how to do SF inputs consistently

maybe I'll hop on over to the Ryu train and give him another shot. I'll miss the Inazuma Kicks, though

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Also I have an question for everyone here;

If we are getting two new modes in 3.0; are y'all still expecting new modes for future patches (4.0.0 and further)
Of course. I think we'll get plenty of new mode additions. Maybe not something as big as Smash Run, but still new. I made a list of reasonable new modes awhile back, so I guess i'll post that again:
  • Smash
    • I feel like we might get some sort of new Special Smash mode (based on some stuff in the text files), but I don't really have any good ideas for what it could be.
  • Games & More
    • Boss Battles returning (alongside Home-Run Contest) in order to justify adding a proper Stadium sub-menu (with Mob-Smash merged into that).
    • New Mob Smash sub-modes:
      • Decade Smash (previously 10-Man): Renaming 100-Man to Century Smash is just setting up for this one to be included.
      • Survival Smash (replacing 3-Minute and 15-Minute).
      • Rival Smash: a neat addition in Smash 4, and I would like to see it return.
      • Master Smash: this really needs to be permanently available somewhere.
    • With the discovery of those three unused Bonus Game maps, maybe those will become available to play separately (just as a fun little high score mode, and as one more thing for the Stadium menu)?
  • Spirits
    • Co-op in World of Light. They already added it to the Spirit Board, so the hard part of adjusting the spirit battles to co-op is already done. Bosses already support two players in Classic Mode, and any other changes should be that difficult.
    • Mii Fighter / Custom Stage sharing makes a lot of sense to me. I could even see it being added IN 3.0 (if we really do get the Stage Builder this soon).
    • I could see them bringing back the Online Event modes from Smash 4 (Conquest and Tourney).

I think these'll be split between all of the major updates (with 7.0 likely being the last one if new content ends after February 2020)

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It's a big ask, but I'd love to see assist trophies patched in whenever a new series is added to Smash. Street Fighter and Bayonetta didn't really feel like they were fully integrated until Ultimate, and Final Fantasy still doesn't.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, there's many motives for someone like him to respond.
Could be a ploy so people would be more excited when it does happen. Could be that for some reason, they were told to deny it because only Nintendo was allowed to reveal it. Could be that only certain people know, and those that weren't included in the negotiations were told MC is not in.

Corporations and especially collaborations between big corporations don't always make a lot of sense, and even less so when it comes to marketing.

I don't think that it's likely that Master Chief is in the DLC either way, but until we have more people from MS' higher ranks corroborate this guy's statement, I'm not going to buy it wholesale.
Or maybe he's just telling the truth?

Not everything is double-ended marketing-speak.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'd like to see new/cut assists added in general, not just for new series.

Like why was Infantry and Tanks cut? Or Lakitu? Or Tingle?

Same for Pokemon and items. Add some new Pokemon in (from Gen 8), or some old favorites like Weavile, Wobbuffet or Beedrill. And add the Fan, Red Shell, Spring and Cloaking Device back in.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Master Chief would be an absolute dream come true for me and would also just add more incredible music to what is already the greatest collection of music ever assembled in a single game.

Another real gaming icon. I would flip.
I would also take Cuphead to finally get an indie rep and I think his stage would be amazing.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting any new Assist Trophies to be added via updates, but I would really love that. And more Spirits. I'm surprised we haven't gotten more Spirits added with updates than we have.

I'm kind of hoping that, assuming we are getting a Dragon Quest fighter from Square Enix, we'll get some additional Square Enix content in the update as well. Namely more Final Fantasy stuff, like music and Spirits, or even an Assist Trophy if that does end up being a thing. I just find the lack of Final Fantasy content in Smash Bros. to be so bizarre. It just doesn't make sense, especially when Yo-kai Watch 3 can have Final Fantasy crossover content with no issue (and not even any mention of copyright info for Square Enix on the box or title screen somehow, at that). If the issue is just that Square Enix is incredibly difficult to work with, making the approval of more Final Fantasy content in Smash impractical due to the pace of Smash's development or something, then you'd think that by now that shouldn't be an issue with the slower, more relaxed pace of DLC development, giving plenty of time for communication with and approval from Square Enix, right? And if that's not the issue, then what is?

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I'd like to see new/cut assists added in general, not just for new series.

Like why was Infantry and Tanks cut? Or Lakitu? Or Tingle?

Same for Pokemon and items. Add some new Pokemon in (from Gen 8), or some old favorites like Weavile, Wobbuffet or Beedrill. And add the Fan, Red Shell, Spring and Cloaking Device back in.

I feel some of the stuff was cut because they felt it didn't work or was too broken or overpowered.

Though I second them coming back. Make it truly ultimate.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Honestly the only reason I think Banjo has a chance is because he was once a Nintendo character. Nintendo Of Japan likely has little interest in crossing over with or promoting a western third party series like Halo. If they were concerned about getting the biggest headline characters possible, we wouldn't have Joker.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
For people who responded to my question;

It would be awesome to see them adding Boss Battles since it's pretty fun to face all bosses again without going through first part of the final battle. Create Your Target Test would be best mode in the Smash history if they want to bring them back.

In addition to Boss Battles I'd love to see and Assist Battles mode. You'd have to fight all of the KO-able Assist Trophies in a row.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm still mad that Magnus's AT was cut

Don't disrespect Uprising like that
Sakurai is obviously planning to add him as the first cross-series echo fighter (over Cloud).

But actually, I don't get why they cut him either. I said it once and i'll say it again, Sakurai should be more biased for his own games.

I wouldn't even be mad if we got some 8-bit FF characters as ATs.
The FF Assist should be definitely be Chocobo (since the Mii Hat is gone now) or Black Mage.

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
It's a big ask, but I'd love to see assist trophies patched in whenever a new series is added to Smash. Street Fighter and Bayonetta didn't really feel like they were fully integrated until Ultimate, and Final Fantasy still doesn't.

In addition to the above, I would love to see Assist Trophies patched out. ;)
playable Bomberman pls

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
YFW they add in the Astral Chain characters in an update to promote their game, but instead of making them playable, they're just assists

Oct 25, 2017
I, too, am looking forward to Smash adding a playable character from a Platinum-developed game whose gameplay is based around multiple individuals cooperating to fight, with Kamiya in a major development role.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
YFW they add in the Astral Chain characters in an update to promote their game, but instead of making them playable, they're just assists
That honestly wouldn't surprise me, but I'd prefer if they waited for Astral Chain to prove itself successful enough to warrant a playable character rather than adding an Assist Trophy before the game has a chance to prove itself.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Have we had any more spirits added since the Mario Party trio? I have not been paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.