• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I don't think Joker is in because Sega owns Atlus. I think those two things are completely unrelated. So I wouldn't expect anywhere near this much double or triple (or quadruple) dipping from third party companies.
It could be true that Atlus being a Sega subsidiary may not have mattered, but I'd argue that it probably helped at least a little bit, as Nintendo would have known ahead of time that negotiations for him would be a breeze based on Sega's previous involvement with Smash.

As for the others, I don't see why Capcom wouldn't get a third unique rep since they have a massive catalog of popular characters to work with and seem to be the easiest third party to work with of them all, and meanwhile, Namco (who's helping make the game) only has one rep while even Square is likely getting a second, so it's reasonable to assume that they could get another as well.

For my Wild Card, if no one double dips any further and it isn't Pokemon or Fire Emblem, either Level 5 or Tecmo Koei would have to be my best guesses as for what companies that the character would come from, which would get us either Ryu Hayabusa or Jibanyan.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not super convinced by the big popular rumor going around, but if the DLC actually does shake out that way, I will groan a lot

that's a promise

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steve.
giphy.gif

If the question "What if Villager were worse in every possible way and also designed by one of gaming's biggest assholes?" doesn't have you immediately reaching for your wallet then I don't know what would!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It could be true that Atlus being a Sega subsidiary may not have mattered, but I'd argue that it probably helped at least a little bit, as Nintendo would have known ahead of time that negotiations for him would be a breeze based on Sega's previous involvement with Smash.

As for the others, I don't see why Capcom wouldn't get a third unique rep since they have a massive catalog of popular characters to work with and seem to be the easiest third party to work with of them all, and meanwhile, Namco (who's helping make the game) only has one rep while even Square is likely getting a second, so it's reasonable to assume that they could get another as well.

For my Wild Card, if no one double dips any further and it isn't Pokemon or Fire Emblem, either Level 5 or Tecmo Koei would have to be my best guesses as for what companies that the character would come from, which would get us either Ryu Hayabusa or Jibanyan.

Atlus has a lot of history with Nintendo independent of Sega. And I believe Atlus has a lot of autonomy as well. I don't think Sega owning Atlus really mattered much at all in the decision, and I don't think this means they will double/triple (quadruple) down on Capcom or Bamco characters.

Square Enix and Dragon Quest have a pretty unique position, though. Because Nintendo themselves have tried repeatedly to promote Dragon Quest outside of Japan for decades. If "Brave" is indeed Erdrick (or DQ Hero in general), I don't think that matters much to other companies getting another character.

I think Nintendo might be looking to strengthen ties with other companies they have worked with in the past who may not have a character in Smash. And if that is the case, Level-5 is a good guess for a character. I'm not sure about Jibanyan specifically (as Professor Layton is another serious contender as a L5 rep). And Koei Tecmo is also a good guess with Ryu Hayabusa.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
i mean if you ignore the like 20 other impossible smash things that have happend, its easy to deny an incredibly popular i die character with a large western and japanese presence, sure.
What other 20 or so "impossible" things are you even talking about? Joker? Because the protagonist from a major, ongoing, franchise from a company that has deep ties with Nintendo really isn't that big of a deal as some people like to make it seem.

Nintendo isn't about to pick a character from a single, fairly niche, indie game to add to their big DLC pass. Shovel Knight only got to be an AT, and that's probably only because Yacht Club seems to be pretty tight with NOA.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would've thought the opposite since Smash 4 DLC was frontloaded with mostly Nintendo characters. I guess it could be a tactic to get the most attention for the fighters pass, but I'm not expecting a twist with the surprise reveal of fan favorites.

I mean sure but on the other hand, 3 of those werr returning characters. Newcomer wise, it was pretty front loaded in 3rd party favors

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Shovel Knight only got to be an AT, and that's probably only because Yacht Club seems to be pretty tight with NOA.
I honestly think Shovel Knight's presence in Smash is probably more on the Japanese side. They did publish the Wii U and 3DS versions over there after all.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
I forgot Piranha Plant was so close! 4th main incoming! I love me some bad guys!

Hey is there a discord for match making 'round here?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm not super convinced by the big popular rumor going around, but if the DLC actually does shake out that way, I will groan a lot

that's a promise
Which of the rumored characters don't you like?

Your response dictates if I put you on my "people who have bad taste solely because they disagree with me on something that doesn't really matter" list or not, so answer wisely.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Steve could have an incredible moveset based around building stuff, but I wonder how Sakurai would make him more aesthetically appealing. Maybe a bitmap with more vivid colors and cleanly defined pixels? Also, what kind of music would a Minecraft stage have?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Logistically speaking, Nintendo would stand more to gain from using Steve as a gateway drug for Minecraft fans to get them to Smash. While Smash is big, it's nowhere near as big as Minecraft. This assumes that we get Steve in the first place, which isn't guaranteed.
I understand this reasoning, but I don't buy it since we already have Joker and (probably) Erdrick setting a precedent as to what we should expect for DLC. If Nintendo wanted to, all 5 DLC characters could have been from big name franchises like Minecraft, but instead they went for Persona of all series and (probably) Dragon Quest, which isn't even that popular outside of Japan.

Unless Steve ends up being an outlier, it really seems like Nintendo wants to promote upcoming games that are coming to Switch, specifically from companies that they have close ties to, so based on that, it would be odd for them to instead use a franchise owned by a competitor to promote their own game.
I think Nintendo might be looking to strengthen ties with other companies they have worked with in the past who may not have a character in Smash. And if that is the case, Level-5 is a good guess for a character. I'm not sure about Jibanyan specifically (as Professor Layton is another serious contender as a L5 rep). And Koei Tecmo is also a good guess with Ryu Hayabusa.
I'd love to see Professor Layton in Smash, but I really don't see it happening since his franchise has pretty much run it's course, and Yokai Watch is a juggernaut in comparison.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Not a single character I even remotely wanted on the rumored DLC list. Oh well, rosters already pretty great. I can live without the DLC I suppose.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm 100% on board with Doomguy. DLC of dreams right there. Era's very first Smash thread opened with me pitching him.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Which of the rumored characters don't you like?

Your response dictates if I put you on my "people who have bad taste solely because they disagree with me on something that doesn't really matter" list or not, so answer wisely.
they all pretty much fall into the "I get why they're here and they're fine but there's no way I can actually get excited about this guy" category

except for Steve, who falls into the "yuck" category

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft Steve would be such a lame choice for a character. If he got in but not Banjo I'd be pretty salty

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i mean if you ignore the like 20 other impossible smash things that have happend, its easy to deny an incredibly popular i die character with a large western and japanese presence, sure.

Actually if anything is against Sans is that ... he is not the main character of his game.
If ANYONE from that homestuck game is going to make it is the children protagonist.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Speaking of DOOM, if the rumor turns out to be legitimate, which name would you prefer?
  • Doom Slayer
  • Doom Marine
  • Doomguy

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear at this point I want Steve to get in purely out of spite. I can't freaking believe the hyperbole surround this freaking character.

Bonus points this should be an alt.
Banner-BanjoMinecraft.jpg

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
they all pretty much fall into the "I get why they're here and they're fine but there's no way I can actually get excited about this guy" category

Okay, that's respectable. You've escaped the list (for now).

But even if I had a list like that you wouldn't be on it, because supporting Chibi-Robo negates any potential bad taste.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
============================
NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES
============================

Halo Enters The Ring

qmiKV6V.gif

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Steve have potential for one of the most unique movesets in smash !
Dude is a builder ! He crafts !
Maybe he can build walls on the fly, or mix 2 items to create a new one ...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I swear at this point I want Steve to get in purely out of spite. I can't freaking believe the hyperbole surround this freaking character.

Bonus points this should be an alt.
Banner-BanjoMinecraft.jpg
It's funny because a Master Chief costume is way more likely than a Banjo one.

If you want a Banjo alt, you also have to accept a Chief alt (because our punishment should be equal). Do you accept this monkey's paw?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want Nobunaga in.

I feel like game versions of historical figures are allowable.

But he'd be cool.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Personally, I don't really want Doom Slayer, but I'd tolerate him since Doom has the legacy and a reasonable amount of Nintendo history. He's also not ugly as all hell like Steve, so I guess that's also a plus.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Since it's a new thread I'm going to throw it out there that I have high confidence in Erdrick, but not very much in the Steve / Doom / Ryu rumor. The only thing that rumor has making it credible is guessing Erdrick, but Erdrick has been highly speculated for months, so that doesn't mean much to me. That rumor also gave suspect details like knowing alt costumes of the characters and knowing they were promotions for certain games, and it seems unlikely anyone would know those kinds of details at this point in time.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Can we stop giving attention to the leak that claimed to know all the chars?
Its starting to mislead a lot of people and tbh its kinda been driven to death.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure but on the other hand, 3 of those werr returning characters. Newcomer wise, it was pretty front loaded in 3rd party favors

The end result of Smash 4 DLC was still a mix of Nintendo and 3rd party. Without them speculation has turned to completely 3rd party, which is why I made the point that speculation won't be that interesting. Nintendo citing Joker as a taste of what's to come really pushed us in this direction.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Steve could have an incredible moveset based around building stuff, but I wonder how Sakurai would make him more aesthetically appealing. Maybe a bitmap with more vivid colors and cleanly defined pixels? Also, what kind of music would a Minecraft stage have?

This render is about how I imagine he'd look. Not as dirty/messy as his in-game appearance.

Aw1YDTS.png

As for music, Minecraft music is way too slow-paced and chill for a battle but they could make for some great remixes. I'd love to hear an upbeat Smash take on this:

edit: Found a perfect example of such a remix:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Chibi-Robo :(

My heart hurts.
I'm still so surprised that out of any possible characters, Chibi-Robo and Ray Mk III were given Mii Costumes.

If they were going to shatter out hearts, I would've at least appreciated them making it in as Assist Trophies; Isaac got both, so why not those two :(

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Lets talk about MY wishlist :

https://kotaku.com/pac-man-almost-got-into-super-smash-bros-brawl-1599610742

"During development of Smash Bros. Brawl, Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo approached me and asked, 'Can't we have Pac-Man as a guest character?'" Sakurai recalled. "At the time, imagining the image of Pac-Man and his incomplete pizza shape, I thought to myself, 'Hmmm... That's a little too farfetched.'"

As Sakurai explains, coming up with an idea and actually making it a reality are very different beasts. While it's easy to imagine a character in a Smash Bros.game, on the dev side, there's a lot more to consider. "How to give the character their own individuality as a fighter and how they'll move. Should the game system maintain a consistent form or not. What other fighters are there and how will the new character differ in strategy? Does the new idea fit with the original game? Most importantly, is it entertaining?"

Given the amount of creative work that needs to go behind adding a new character, it's no wonder Sakurai originally turned down the idea. And yet, now, nearly 8 years later, there's Pac-Man. Fairly fitting, considering that Bandai Namco is developing the new game. "You never know what's going to happen in this world." Sakurai remarked. "I'll just keep my mouth shut. That's a good idea."

Nintendo choosed the DLC chars
Miyamoto love the old classics that might seem a little too farfetched
You never know what's going to happen in this world

Tetrimino actually has a chance as DLC in Smash Ultimate

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy the rumor at all. Nintendo has no reason to promote Minecraft like they are for Joker and Erdrick, I don't care how much publicity they would get from it.

Also, Banjo isn't happening people. No matter how big a part of your childhood Banjo Kazooie was, it doesn't change the fact that in 2019 it's a super obscure game.

Don't even get me started on people actually expecting a party member from Super Mario RPG to make the roster.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
What other 20 or so "impossible" things are you even talking about? Joker? Because the protagonist from a major, ongoing, franchise from a company that has deep ties with Nintendo really isn't that big of a deal as some people like to make it seem.

Nintendo isn't about to pick a character from a single, fairly niche, indie game to add to their big DLC pass. Shovel Knight only got to be an AT, and that's probably only because Yacht Club seems to be pretty tight with NOA.

Persona 5 is more niche than Undertale, according to this resetera thread, persona 5 has sold around 2.2 million copies as of may 2018 while undertale on steam has sold anywhere from 2-5 million, so lets be generous and say it has sold ~3 million copies, which is still more than persona 5 alone but also doesn't take in account any console sales. Shovel knight has in total sold around 2 million copies according to this post by yacht club games. Undertale is huge and has had a cultural impact to the point where there are symphonies, undertale themed wrestling intros, and a SHIT TON of undertale fanart on miiverse before it was shut down.

Actually if anything is against Sans is that ... he is not the main character of his game.
If ANYONE from that homestuck game is going to make it is the children protagonist.

Everytime people suggest characters from a popular game, sakurai has always gone for the popular choice for third party characters rather than the one that would make the most "sense". Cloud over Terra/ any other FF character, Joker over Jack Frost, which is why I think it's sans bois.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Everytime people suggest characters from a popular game, sakurai has always gone for the popular choice for third party characters rather than the one that would make the most "sense". Cloud over Terra/ any other FF character, Joker over Jack Frost, which is why I think it's sans bois.

Still the protagonists, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.