• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
What's the font you're using for this? I'd love to join in (and maybe make a Spirits template too)
Edit: The template would be nice too.
The font is FOT Rodin Bokutoh UB.
and here's the template:
sly6yyS.png

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
making_a_rare_return_by_blue_paint_sea-dcftbc4.jpg

They are perfect:

- Cool 3rd party cross over

- Interesting and rich gameplay possibilities away from swords

- Nintendo background and icon representative of a video game era (3D platformers)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts would be perfect for third-party Smash representation if the licensing requirements weren't such a quagmire that not even Square Enix could keep the Sora DLC for World of Final Fantasy available.
I reckon the only reason Sora in WoFF was a limited time offer was because it was free, and Square just didn't feel like negotiating the money aspect for what's basically a cute promotional bonus. It makes sense that it'd be limited if it's free; Square are using a property not their own without any monetary gain for either party, but if you could buy it, it'd likely remain available.

Oct 25, 2017
Licensing for KH wouldn't be an issue. Disney are probably one of the easiest companies to deal with in terms of licensing given how much Disney, Marvel, Star Wars tat you come across on a daily basis.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
ERA is gonna be really bummed when it turns out that Banjo isn't going be in the game, huh?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ERA is gonna be really bummed when it turns out that Banjo isn't going be in the game, huh?
I think it'll be disappointing for a lot of people but I don't think it'll get to much backlash.

If there are no other Microsoft characters. Steve or Master Chief get in I full expect riots of people.

I frankly just don't see what incentive Microsoft would have to include Banjo if they negotiated for one of their properties in Smash.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Man, the post-DLC character select isn't going to look that great with Echoes not stacked.
3Z3N2Ep.jpg

Sakurai is really tempting me to stack the echoes (since that will make the CSS a perfect rectangle when all of the DLC is released).

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Frankly, as someone who Banjo is the dream pick, I really don't expect it and fully believe that Steve will be selected instead. Like some have said, Microsoft has little incentive to push for Banjo except some Smash revenue and keeping the duo alive in gamers consciousness I guess.

Though I will be a bit saddened so see Steve come before Banjo, the silver lining will be that Microsoft owned characters in Smash will be a precedent, opening the doors for Banjo in the future.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how it works.

100% of the fight
I just don't want fucking Sans. I'm so sick of him being the o ly Undertale related thing people talk about.

Frisk, Undyne, Papyrus, Kris, Ralsei, the Annoying Dog fucking anybody before more Sans.

Heck add Mad Mew Mew. She's even exclusive to the Switch version. You get a lgbt character in Smash on top of it.
latest

But no I don't see Undertale getting a character period. At most some spirits or an assist trophy in the next game.

Another one, you mean. We already have Ike.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Welp got into an avatar bet on the discord to see if Erdrick is real or not
As I've said in the Discord, there's a good chance that everyone's assumption it's Erdrick will turn out to be completely unfounded.

Based on what we know, Joker had the codename Jack, which I've seen only has the connection of either Jack Frost or both Joker and Jack being playing cards. Either way, it's not directly spelling out who it is.

On the other hand, all arguments for Brave being Erdrick is that Brave is literally what they are referred to.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I started with Awakening so I honestly forget about Ike a lot so fair point.(though is he confirmed gay?)

There's also Corrin who's bi.
Ike isn't "confirmed" gay, but his Radiant Dawn endings suggest that he is.

Ike isn't the sort of person that would shout his sexual orientation (or anything else about himself, really) from the rooftops.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Banjo is cursed.
If they approach him the chance of Microsoft saying no is HUGE because ... they are microsoft. ANd if they let, they will probablly allow someone bigger that helps them more like Steve or even Master Chief.

So either Sakurai has wet dreams with Banjo&Kazooie or he is Assist Trophy AT BEST

Oct 28, 2017

Max is still weirdly convinced that we're getting an MK character.

Max was convinced Bayonetta and Cloud were gonna be in the game, I wouldn't put an MK character past Nintendo even if the series doesn't get recent releases in Japan. Perhaps MK11 will get released in Japan by going down the Resident Evil path with a heavily censored version for PS4 and Switch in that region.

What's funny about an MK character in Smash is that they'd be actually be in another game with a dedicated block button.

Oct 28, 2017
What if Nintendo is forcing WB to censor MK11 on Switch which has led to the game being able to be released in Japan, which has led to MK in Smash??

No
More like Japan's rating system would be forcing WB to have to censor MK11 in order for it to get a release in Japan, Nintendo has no part in that situation. As for an MK character in Smash, the reasoning would probably come from promotion for MK11 on the switch kind of like Joker since P5R is rumored.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I don't know much about how Joker will play. From the sound of it, he'll have something of a summoner archetype? Which is cool, but I got a different idea.

Yokai Watch representative: Jibanyan & Keita/Nate (with a alternate skin of the girl protagonist.)

You control Jibanyan, and for all of his specials, Keita summons different yokai to do an attack. This would promote Yokai Watch pretty well and represent the concept of the game in a fun way. Only one other yokai could be on the screen at a time, which would limit the character, but he'd be really good at controlling space with attacks that are similar to Villager's lloid rocket, but with wildly different hitboxes.

To add to the uniqueness of the archetype and promote Yokai Watch even further, the character can have different specials for when he's on the ground and in the air.

Air specials:
Up - Summon Hikikoumori/Hidabat to fly him up to the stage
Side - Fuyunyan/Hovernyan launches him sideways. Can be sent at 3 slightly different angles, kind of like having 3 distances with Fox illusion.
Neutral - Robonyan appears but shortly malfunctions and self-destructs in place.
Down - Komasan and Komajirou clumsily appear and create a falling hitbox below, like a much weaker Villager bowling ball.

Ground specials:
Up - Summon Walkappa and create a waterfall, not unlike Pikachu's down special, except doesn't freeze you in place. Instead, has a delayed hitbox.
Side - Bakuon-narashi/Rawry rides his bike across/off the stage.
Neutral - Usapyon does a laser projectile that can be altered depending on how long you hold the button, like a Zelda phantom.
Down - Murikabe/Noway appears for like a second or two (a wall) and reflects projectiles. Not a counter, but cannot be passed through.

Normal attacks can pull from Yokai Blasters, where Jibanyan has a moveset, as well as the mainline games.

With the inclusion of Joker from Persona 5, I would say Jibanyan is not out of the realm of possibility, but I would hope he plays in a unique way that represents the franchise heavily like this.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know much about how Joker will play. From the sound of it, he'll have something of a summoner archetype? Which is cool, but I got a different idea.

Yokai Watch representative: Jibanyan & Keita/Nate (with a alternate skin of the girl protagonist.)

You control Jibanyan, and for all of his specials, Keita summons different yokai to do an attack. This would promote Yokai Watch pretty well and represent the concept of the game in a fun way. Only one other yokai could be on the screen at a time, which would limit the character, but he'd be really good at controlling space with attacks that are similar to Villager's lloid rocket, but with wildly different hitboxes.

To add to the uniqueness of the archetype and promote Yokai Watch even further, the character can have different specials for when he's on the ground and in the air.

Air specials:
Side - Fuyunyan/Hovernyan launches him sideways. Can be sent at 3 slightly different angles, kind of like having 3 distances with Fox illusion.
Neutral - Robonyan appears but shortly malfunctions and self-destructs in place.
Down - Komasan and Komajirou clumsily appear and create a falling hitbox below, like a much weaker Villager bowling ball.

Ground specials:
Up - Summon Walkappa and create a waterfall, not unlike Pikachu's down special, except doesn't freeze you in place. Instead, has a delayed hitbox.
Neutral - Usapyon does a laser projectile that can be altered depending on how long you hold the button, like a Zelda phantom.
Down - Murikabe/Noway appears for like a second or two (a wall) and reflects projectiles. Not a counter, but cannot be passed through.

Normal attacks can pull from Yokai Blasters, where Jibanyan has a moveset, as well as the mainline games.

With the inclusion of Joker from Persona 5, I would say Jibanyan is not out of the realm of possibility, but I would hope he plays in a unique way that represents the franchise heavily like this.
I want this so bad but I'm afraid it'll never happen at this point. It feels so weird that there's nothing from Level-5 in Smash.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like thinking about hypothetical stuff if the rumor is true.

Like what would the characters entrances, victory themes, and classic modes would be.

Doom Guy would just be fighting all the monster and demon related characters.

Steve would probably be against characters with similar sim elements like villager.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
As I've said in the Discord, there's a good chance that everyone's assumption it's Erdrick will turn out to be completely unfounded.

Based on what we know, Joker had the codename Jack, which I've seen only has the connection of either Jack Frost or both Joker and Jack being playing cards. Either way, it's not directly spelling out who it is.

On the other hand, all arguments for Brave being Erdrick is that Brave is literally what they are referred to.

It may be literally what he's referred to but the connection wouldn't be as obvious as it seems now had there not been numerous leaks and rumors about his inclusion. Few people would have seen the word "brave" and immediately thought "ah, obviously that's a reference to one of several translations of the word Yūsha, which is Erdrick's class in the Japanese version of Dragon Quest 3!"

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
So I know that the five DLC characters is the hot topic and how we likely will not get any echos at all.

But is it wrong to think it could still happen? Don't get me wrong: I've made my amends about the idea of more Echos after Richter and Ken, but it is likely that Sakurai has no intention on making more echo fighters if he can help it. Still, if it were to happen, I likely would be all over it (even if it were a case where I wouldn't use the character at all).

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
So it's really not looking like we'll get a single first or second party character is there?

Geno holds such a legendary position in Smash hype and speculation that I still see him happening at some point in Ultimate's life cycle. No idea how, why, or when, but I still believe we'll see him. FYI, Geno could also be described as heroic and 'brave'.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

Air specials:

Ground specials:

I'm honestly surprised that more people aren't talking about Jibanyan's odds. Like Dragon Quest and probably Persona, Yokai Watch has a big game coming out for Switch next year (in Japan at least, but Yokai Watch 3 is hitting the West next month...), and just like Atlus, Level 5 and Nintendo are on great terms. He makes a hell of a lot more sense than Steve or Doom Guy.

The only problem is that YW isn't that popular in the West, but putting Jibanyan in Smash would be a perfect way to try and remedy that.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
I would love to see Chaz/Rudy or Alis from Phantasy Star in this motherfucker. They would be perfect and great additional SEGA reps.

s8I7NJv.png
dMnaL7j.png

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I will always hold out hope for Geno and Banjo. They'd be perfect fits.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Does anyone ever get knocked off while trying to dodge and then the dodge tiggers seconds after the push, which ends up killing you? Or does this just happen to me?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
He makes a hell of a lot more sense than Steve or Doom Guy.
Hmm... I dunno about that one. You could easily use all of those points in favour of Doom Guy, like so:

Just like Dragon Quest and (probably) Persona, Doom has a big game releasing on the Switch this year (and Doom Eternal is planned to release day-and-date with other platforms, which is a huge deal for such a big third-party release). Bethesda and Nintendo have built-up a good relationship in the Switch era so far, with Skyrim being a heavily pushed release for the system before and after launch (and two more ports following it in the last year); not to mention that the two have already discussed Smash in the past.

Doom is a heavily influential video game that has impacted the industry in many ways, and Doom Guy is an indisputable video game icon. I don't know if Jibanyan REALLY makes "a hell of a lot more sense" than him.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if Sakurai would actually go for Doom Guy. Even if Nintendo had him as an option, it was still Sakurai's call in the end, and an FPS protagonist who's main personality trait is being as stupidly and grossly violent as possible in a non-stop demon kill-spree does not strike me as being ideal for Smash. I mean, yes, Bayonetta, but Bayonetta actually has things going for her other than stylish action.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
So it's really not looking like we'll get a single first or second party character is there?
Based on what? Rumors? How often has this community seized on rumors or speculation and then been proven horribly wrong during the lead up to Ultimate? We literally know nothing outside of Joker and the Reggie's comments at the VGA's, which don't necessarily mean anything. Give it some time before writing off the possibility of first-party characters.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I adore third party inclusions, but count me in as someone who would find it a touch on the lame side if all of the DLC newcomers are third parties.

There ought to be at least one or two first-party fan picks in there in the vein of Ridley and K. Rool I think.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I adore third party inclusions, but count me in as someone who would find it a touch on the lame side if all of the DLC newcomers are third parties.

There ought to be at least one or two first-party fan picks in there in the vein of Ridley and K. Rool I think.
I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure the 3rd party characters make tons of money, but I still see Smash as primarily a Nintendo crossover.

Even the kings of out-there 3rd party picks, Mortal Kombat and Injustice, still sell a couple of MK and DC characters as DLC, which I appreciate.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Based on what? Rumors? How often has this community seized on rumors or speculation and then been proven horribly wrong during the lead up to Ultimate? We literally know nothing outside of Joker and the Reggie's comments at the VGA's, which don't necessarily mean anything. Give it some time before writing off the possibility of first-party characters.
The reality of the Grinch was such a shock to people that they've already forgotten the lessons it taught.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Hmm... I dunno about that one. You could easily use all of those points in favour of Doom Guy, like so:

Just like Dragon Quest and (probably) Persona, Doom has a big game releasing on the Switch this year (and Doom Eternal is planned to release day-and-date with other platforms, which is a huge deal for such a big third-party release). Bethesda and Nintendo have built-up a good relationship in the Switch era so far, with Skyrim being a heavily pushed release for the system before and after launch (and two more ports following it in the last year); not to mention that the two have already discussed Smash in the past.

Doom is a heavily influential video game that has impacted the industry in many ways, and Doom Guy is an indisputable video game icon. I don't know if Jibanyan REALLY makes "a hell of a lot more sense" than him.
Bethesda games are multiplatform though are way more widely known, especially in the West.

Bethesda's games are multiplatform though, Yokai Watch isn't, so there's a way more of an incentive for Nintendo to promote Yokai Watch 4 compared to Doom Eternal.

Not to mention, all of the third parties with playable characters currently in Smash are Japanese companies, and it wouldn't be surprising at all for this trend to continue. Level 5 just makes way more sense to get repped in Smash compared to Bethesda IMO.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Bethesda's games are multiplatform though, Yokai Watch isn't, so there's a way more of an incentive for Nintendo to promote Yokai Watch 4 compared to Doom Eternal.
Dragon Quest is multi-platform too, and Persona 5 isn't even confirmed for the Switch yet (though I do think it is coming), so that really doesn't matter.
Not to mention, all of the third parties with playable characters currently in Smash are Japanese companies, and it wouldn't be surprising at all for this trend to continue. Level 5 just makes way more sense to get repped in Smash compared to Bethesda IMO.
I'm sure the "no playable western third parties" rule will eventually be proven false, just like most other fan rules. I mean, we have multiple forms of western third-party content in the game already, so a playable character is only inevitable. Even ignoring that 5chan leak, Steve is still a very big possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.