• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Level-5 doesn't deserve to be represented in Smash until they give me a real Fantasy Life sequel

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I'm honestly surprised that more people aren't talking about Jibanyan's odds. Like Dragon Quest and probably Persona, Yokai Watch has a big game coming out for Switch next year (in Japan at least, but Yokai Watch 3 is hitting the West next month...), and just like Atlus, Level 5 and Nintendo are on great terms. He makes a hell of a lot more sense than Steve or Doom Guy.

The only problem is that YW isn't that popular in the West, but putting Jibanyan in Smash would be a perfect way to try and remedy that.
Every time I look at one of these threads, I'm surprised people aren't talking more about Jibanyan and Level 5, but like you and others have said, it's just not as big in the West. I live in Japan though, so I will never NOT be surprised by lack of Jibanyan talk.

Multiplatform games may have a chance of getting into Smash, but I'll always imagine exclusives are placed at higher priority (all other things equal) because it makes more sense from a business perspective.

Excitemike

Dec 20, 2017
I can't imagine Game Freak would be that happy with Nintendo giving a slot to a franchise that was eating their lunch just a few years ago, in a series where that franchise character can literally kick the most popular Pokemon into oblivion. It's just a bit too on the nose.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I can't imagine Game Freak would be that happy with Nintendo giving a slot to a franchise that was eating their lunch just a few years ago, in a series where that franchise character can literally kick the most popular Pokemon into oblivion. It's just a bit too on the nose.
You think so? I don't know if I agree or disagree, but Nintendo already publishes the games worldwide for Level 5, and they're exclusive to Nintendo systems. I suppose Game Freak wouldn't be happy, but Nintendo already supports the franchise pretty heavily, no?

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Yeah, there are a lot of monster capture games here. Even with something that was as popular as YW in Japan, Game Freak just keeps chugging along.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's nearly 5AM here and I've finally finished this:
5k1KPf5.png

Got the idea for a Futaba Spirit to test this new template with because a guy I follow on Twitter tweeted the Inkling comparison lol
7GitAkK.png
What's the font you're using for this? I'd love to join in (and maybe make a Spirits template too)
Edit: The template would be nice too.
I know it's nowhere near as well-made as the fighter one but it should do the job, I guess.

Last edited:

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, there are a lot of monster capture games here. Even with something that was as popular as YW in Japan, Game Freak just keeps chugging along.
More importantly, Level-5 is basically one foot in the grave at the moment, despite YW's (former) popularity.

Gamefreak ain't worried, they either know how to manage a brand or aren't afraid to let someone else do the heavy lifting for them. Level-5's desire to make everything into a multimedia campaign hasn't really panned out, outside of one-time successes like YW.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Doom Slayer should have the Level clear/ Intermission music

Eh. Mega Man got a snippet of MM2's title music instead of the stage clear theme. I feel they'll do the same for other 3rd party franchises w/ main themes far more iconic than the victory music.

Speaking of which, I still have to ask, why the hell is Sonic's victory music still 06's Stage Clear theme? It's been over a decade! I'm sure they know it wasn't a popular game by now, & they bothered to give other veterans new victory themes.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
More importantly, Level-5 is basically one foot in the grave at the moment, despite YW's (former) popularity.

Gamefreak ain't worried, they either know how to manage a brand or aren't afraid to let someone else do the heavy lifting for them. Level-5's desire to make everything into a multimedia campaign hasn't really panned out, outside of one-time successes like YW.
I can't comment on this based on the numbers, since I don't know them, but the multimedia stuff seems to work okay sometimes in Japan. Inazuma Eleven still has a running anime and has a game coming soon. The Prof Layton series also has a running anime and a recent game. I think the verdict is still out on the new edgy Yokai Watch anime, but the amount of content they produce for that franchise is mind boggling... Not that that's an indication of something being a huge success, but those franchises seem to have legs in multiple spaces. At least in Japan...

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I can't comment on this based on the numbers, since I don't know them, but the multimedia stuff seems to work okay sometimes in Japan. Inazuma Eleven still has a running anime and has a game coming soon. The Prof Layton series also has a running anime and a recent game. I think the verdict is still out on the new edgy Yokai Watch anime, but the amount of content they produce for that franchise is mind boggling... Not that that's an indication of something being a huge success, but those franchises seem to have legs in multiple spaces. At least in Japan...
They aren't doing so hot at the moment, and nothing's had worldwide success since Layton (I'm pretty sure YW outdid it domestically, even though it hasn't had much luck finding a foothold internationally) and even that's not been very successful with its latest entries.

It's hard to get raw numbers on anything for them lately, but Snack World was their next Yokai-style multimedia project and it seemed to fizzle out without any fanfare, and Inazuma is still in limbo despite having a game in development for a few years now. I was being a bit hyperbolic - they're not dead, but it's not looking pretty if they can't shape up soon.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I think Mega Man 2's stage clear theme is iconic enough that it should've been strongly considered for victory theme status

there's a reason they keep bringing it back over and over

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
So I know that the five DLC characters is the hot topic and how we likely will not get any echos at all.

But is it wrong to think it could still happen? Don't get me wrong: I've made my amends about the idea of more Echos after Richter and Ken, but it is likely that Sakurai has no intention on making more echo fighters if he can help it. Still, if it were to happen, I likely would be all over it (even if it were a case where I wouldn't use the character at all).

If they had extra time and already had some echoes worked on, maybe.

But they've got 6 characters to do, third party characters likely needing to be worked on with the companies, possibly having to deal with the third parties already in the game if you got someone like Doomslayer using a chainsaw or Scorpion piercing characters. So 6 characters to test against the others and themselves, in every mode, while fixing other glitches and creating spirits, 5 stages and the UI for the music.

So... Maybe if they have enough people working or they're ahead of schedule. But after thinking about it, I'm starting to doubt that. They've already done new spirits and are doing the events stuff too.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
They aren't doing so hot at the moment, and nothing's had worldwide success since Layton (I'm pretty sure YW outdid it domestically, even though it hasn't had much luck finding a foothold internationally) and even that's not been very successful with its latest entries.

It's hard to get raw numbers on anything for them lately, but Snack World was their next Yokai-style multimedia project and it seemed to fizzle out without any fanfare, and Inazuma is still in limbo despite having a game in development for a few years now. I was being a bit hyperbolic - they're not dead, but it's not looking pretty if they can't shape up soon.
I see what you're saying. It does sound like a rough situation. I'll add my unprofessional opinion and say their location in Japan can be a huge logistical problem in terms of manpower. I like their games, so I'd hope they could get it together. Maybe Smash can help!

Now... to keep waiting for that Jibanyan DLC...

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to a Mortal Kombat character, no idea why people think Nintendo would want to promote that over other series. Mortal Kombat games have always been a bit in the background, never quite hitting the heights of the SNES/Mega Drive heyday. So if the promotion angle is the only thing it has going for it, it's a pretty weak angle.

Jibanyan makes more sense but only in Japan. For literally every other country on the planet, Doomguy makes more sense.
This does slightly read as 'let's ignore what the kids know'. Apparently in Europe the first game outpaced Japan's initial sales and you have to also remember that there was the anime and lots of merch. It might not be as big as it is in Japan, but it's not an unknown.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we'll see Mii costumes based on the DLC cast.

Imagine getting Skull's outfit from Persona.(or more likely Crow's)

If Erdrick is in they could have a costume based on other DQ hero's.

If Doom Guy is in his armor would be great for a Mii Gunner suit.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally came up with a list I want.

#1: Joker
#2: Banjo
#3: Geno
#4: Doomslayer
#5: Chosen Undead/Solaire of Astora

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
So this dlc. It only adds 5 characters? Is there more dlc planned? or is this the only dlc this game will be getting? I'm new to this game series.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So this dlc. It only adds 5 characters? Is there more dlc planned? or is this the only dlc this game will be getting? I'm new to this game series.
The fighter's pass has five new characters, on top of the free Piranha Plant. No others are announced and we shouldn't expect more.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wonder if we'll see Mii costumes based on the DLC cast.

Imagine getting Skull's outfit from Persona.(or more likely Crow's)

If Erdrick is in they could have a costume based on other DQ hero's.

If Doom Guy is in his armor would be great for a Mii Gunner suit.
I'm curious if we'll get Mii Costumes of Yu Narukami & Makoto Yuki or just the P5 cast. Also, a Ren/school uniform alt for Joker would be nice.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Persona 5 so excuse my ignorance.

But is possible for joker to have an Echo of another party member from Persona 5?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I haven't played Persona 5 so excuse my ignorance.

But is possible for joker to have an Echo of another party member from Persona 5?
Party members would be a hard no, but depending on how they implement his Persona(s), it would hypothetically be possible for him to have an echo of another Persona protagonist... but that's extremely unlikely to happen regardless.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, to put it simply.
Party members would be a hard no, but depending on how they implement his Persona(s), it would hypothetically be possible for him to have an echo of another Persona protagonist... but that's extremely unlikely to happen regardless.
I see. Purly assume based off his model looking similar to other characters. Plus the time I played with Persona 3/4.

Back in the smash thread. I made a very impossible prediction that every DLC character will have an Echo lol (it was for fun, but maybe could've happened)

Tho in all seriousness. I did say one of the DLC will have an Echo for sure.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I see. Purly assume based off his model looking similar to other characters. Plus the time I played with Persona 3/4.

Back in the smash thread. I made a very impossible prediction that every DLC character will have an Echo lol (it was for fun, but maybe could've happened)

Tho in all seriousness. I did say one of the DLC will have an Echo for sure.

The main thing about the Persona characters is how each of them are very unique from each other in a variety of ways. This includes not just how everyone has their own specific persona (to which you could say an echo could just be their own persona with their own special what have yous), but in the case of Persona 5, each character also had their very own special weapon and side arm too. If we were to get a second persona character, it would likely be that they would be their own character rather than trying to copy Joker's playstyle.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That said, they'd be insane not to do another season of characters.

Conceptually, it would make sense if they did more characters. But Sakurai's been working on Smash exclusively since he finished Kid Icarus Uprising back in 2012. If the fighters pass marks the end of Ultimate DLC, I would not be surprised.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That said, they'd be insane not to do another season of characters.
You say that, but that didn't stop Nintendo from not giving MK8D or Odyssey any paid DLC, nor did it stop them from ending Splatoon 2 DLC support last month. Plus Sakurai would have been working on Smash for 8 years straight by February 2020, so I'm not sure if he'd continue for much longer beyond that.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I mean it's a team effort. He doesn't need to be involved in the other season of characters. Let him have a break while Nintendo can fully call the shots of who gets in.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean it's a team effort. He doesn't need to be involved in the other season of characters. Let him have a break while Nintendo can fully call the shots of who gets in.
Nintendo's already fully calling the shots on who gets in the Fighters Pass. Sakurai's main involvement is making those characters.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
They were insane not to do DLC for Mario Kart 8 DX and Odyssey.

Sometimes Nintendo is just insane.
Conceptually, it would make sense if they did more characters. But Sakurai's been working on Smash exclusively since he finished Kid Icarus Uprising back in 2012. If the fighters pass marks the end of Ultimate DLC, I would not be surprised.
You say that, but that didn't stop Nintendo from not giving MK8D or Odyssey any paid DLC, nor did it stop them from ending Splatoon 2 DLC support last month. Plus Sakurai would have been working on Smash for 8 years straight by February 2020, so I'm not sure if he'd continue for much longer beyond that.
All good points and you're all probably right. It would make too much sense for Nintendo to actually do it, ha.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Samller than Luigi? Floaty?

Brave is Hollow Knight, indies have officially made it boys

Status
Not open for further replies.